Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 09:01   #136
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 17,000 kms & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Good report Rajain. I have recently travelled on this NH4 till Pune and yes after Kohlapur the road does detoriates but I think its the those few kilometers before and after Satara.

By the way If we are to go to Shirdi then early morning start should ensure we reach Shirdi max to max 10pm?
Hi Motomaverick

Thank you. You guys too passed that route a few weeks ago on your way to getting "Leh'ed". I liked that artwork on your Manza (Leh'ed) and I am following that thread. By the way this year I had to drop plans for Leh just 2 days before departure in Aug. So, its next year for me. I had prepared the Ertiga for that drive (including the sump guard and all)

I have been on the Bangalore-Pune/Mumbai route multiple times. On just one instance I have seen a good tarmac and all bridges up and ready. That was also my personal best timing - of 11 hrs and 45 minutes house to house (Bangalore to Pune). I tend to agree with the Supreme Court when they ask NHAI to ensure contractors are not charging for roads/bridges not completed. Come to think of it in a previous visit also on a rainy night I damaged a rim of a strong German car (Opel Sail) when it went into a huge pothole. Just a few kms before I had paid 65 Rs as toll!

On your question, I am assuming you mean Pune-Shirdi-Pune. If that is the case, yes from Pune if you plan to go to Shirdi it is certainly possible in the same day. Take a max of 5 hrs including an hour for the last 25 kms on the Ahmednagar - Shirdi stretch towards Shirdi. Plus 2 hours for 'darshan' and the same time back. So, starting from Pune by 7.30 AM or even 8.00 AM and you can get back into Pune by 8 PM or 8.30 PM. The 25 kms stretch and the darshan time can get longer based on either some truck toppled over and some VIP showing up for a priority darshan!

Cheers
Rajain
Old 30th September 2013, 09:08   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
On your question, I am assuming you mean Pune-Shirdi-Pune. If that is the case, yes from Pune if you plan to go to Shirdi it is certainly possible in the same day. Take a max of 5 hrs including an hour for the last 25 kms on the Ahmednagar - Shirdi stretch towards Shirdi. Plus 2 hours for 'darshan' and the same time back. So, starting from Pune by 7.30 AM or even 8.00 AM and you can get back into Pune by 8 PM or 8.30 PM. The 25 kms stretch and the darshan time can get longer based on either some truck toppled over and some VIP showing up for a priority darshan!

Cheers
Rajain
Hey, thanks for following the thread, glad that you liked it. The art work was from VistaPrint. Anyhow we do have plans for next year with wife since she was left out this time. But the destination will be either Leh or Bhutan & NE. If dates match we should tag along. This time no Manza, a proper SUV for a tension free drive.

Yes, paying toll for bad roads is a pain, especially when you need to pay the toll just before Satara and that too around 75 or 70 bucks.

Well my question was the drive from Bangalore, if we start by say 4AM considering 11hrs till Pune and another 6hrs till Shirdi, worse come worse we should reach around 11PM.
Old 30th September 2013, 09:18   #138
BHPian

Nice update and congrats on completing 21000 kms on your LUV. By the way are you sure that the Ertiga can be Leh'ed if yes then consider me to be available for being Leh'ed. I wanted to buy the Safari for a trip to Leh but due to some reasons I ended up buying the Ertiga and thought that I have lost the chance of going to Leh Ladakh. Your thread has just given me new hope.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 09:23   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks for following the thread, glad that you liked it. The art work was from VistaPrint. Anyhow we do have plans for next year with wife since she was left out this time. But the destination will be either Leh or Bhutan & NE. If dates match we should tag along. This time no Manza, a proper SUV for a tension free drive.

Yes, paying toll for bad roads is a pain, especially when you need to pay the toll just before Satara and that too around 75 or 70 bucks.

Well my question was the drive from Bangalore, if we start by say 4AM considering 11hrs till Pune and another 6hrs till Shirdi, worse come worse we should reach around 11PM.
Hi

Yes its a lovely thread. I must say every single thread on Leh has its own stories and its own charm. Yes the terrain in Leh does need a proper SUV. But good GC and powerful engine 2 wheel drives also make it. Are you planning to buy a SUV? If yes, which one?

I will be happy to tag along for a trip next year. I am planning for a end My early June to Leh - I know the roads are not very good, routes have just opened but the views are the best. A friend who was slated to go to Leh with us this year in Aug just returned from a solo Bhutan. She puts up her TLs in BCM touring.

Yes, if you start from Bangalore at 4 AM you should be able to get to Shirdi by 10 or 11 PM max. Just bear in mind the after having driven 15-16 hours to get very close to Shirdi you would reach that broken section and may feel exhausted (probably frustrated also) at that hour at night. And God forbid if there is a traffic jam then it get even worse. Also bear in mind after Ahmednagar there is no reasonable eating place and its generally a truckers highway from there. Loads of trucks head to Nagpur/Indore further on.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 30th September 2013, 09:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Yes its a lovely thread. I must say every single thread on Leh has its own stories and its own charm. Yes the terrain in Leh does need a proper SUV. But good GC and powerful engine 2 wheel drives also make it. Are you planning to buy a SUV? If yes, which one?

I will be happy to tag along for a trip next year. I am planning for a end My early June to Leh - I know the roads are not very good, routes have just opened but the views are the best. A friend who was slated to go to Leh with us this year in Aug just returned from a solo Bhutan. She puts up her TLs in BCM touring.

Yes, if you start from Bangalore at 4 AM you should be able to get to Shirdi by 10 or 11 PM max. Just bear in mind the after having driven 15-16 hours to get very close to Shirdi you would reach that broken section and may feel exhausted (probably frustrated also) at that hour at night. And God forbid if there is a traffic jam then it get even worse. Also bear in mind after Ahmednagar there is no reasonable eating place and its generally a truckers highway from there. Loads of trucks head to Nagpur/Indore further on.

Cheers
Rajain
Scorpio 4x4 SLE is in my mind. Main criteria, GC, braking, 4x4 (Though Ladakh most of the regions do not require 4x4 but it is good to have) Or the other car is the Storme but there 4x4 is only in VX.

For Shirdi, can't we take the Pune > Chakan > Narayangaon > Sangamner > Loni > Shirdi route? I think most of the route is on NH50. Hardly any difference in the kms.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:15   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Nice update and congrats on completing 21000 kms on your LUV. By the way are you sure that the Ertiga can be Leh'ed if yes then consider me to be available for being Leh'ed. I wanted to buy the Safari for a trip to Leh but due to some reasons I ended up buying the Ertiga and thought that I have lost the chance of going to Leh Ladakh. Your thread has just given me new hope.
Thank you. Absolutely it can be Leh'ed. I don't see any doubts. Powerful engine, light vehicle, good GC, long range on fuel tank, spacious and MASS dealerships/workshops all over. I am aware of 3 Ertigas that have already done Leh. Its a very capable vehicle. In fact, even a Santro/Alto/Spark are doing Leh. So Ertiga of course can. Driving skills and some terrain on a certain day are of course the dynamic factors too. Yes, we should stay connected on next year Leh trip. I am planning end May-early June. 2 Ertigas from Bangalore will be a good small group.

Quote:
Scorpio 4x4 SLE is in my mind. Main criteria, GC, braking, 4x4 (Though Ladakh most of the regions do not require 4x4 but it is good to have) Or the other car is the Storme but there 4x4 is only in VX.
Scorpio 4x4 is the ultimate combination of long distance capable expedition vehicle. Storme is also a very good vehicle. Though I think in Leh Scorpios outnumber almost anything else. A Thar is also very good. Somewhat Spartan though. Plus no hard top. Maybe by next year Duster may be launched in 4x4 and will be quite a deal. XUV 5oo is also a very capable vehicle and comes in AWD version.

Quote:
For Shirdi, can't we take the Pune > Chakan > Narayangaon > Sangamner > Loni > Shirdi route? I think most of the route is on NH50. Hardly any difference in the kms.
Of the various times that I have done Shirdi I have actually never gone from this route. Although a few kms shorter it never struck me that I could try this route. The advantage of the Admednagar route is that there is good road, a couple of good eating joints and 4 lane till Shirdi. The only downside is the last 25 kms - which is four lane but pretty bad. Counting all of that we did Pune Shirdi via Ahmednagar in 4.5 hrs.

Perhaps trying via Sangamner/Loni would also be a good idea. That's what we do - explore new routes.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 30th September 2013, 10:37   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Absolutely it can be Leh'ed. I don't see any doubts. Powerful engine, light vehicle, good GC, long range on fuel tank, spacious and MASS dealerships/workshops all over. I am aware of 3 Ertigas that have already done Leh. Its a very capable vehicle. In fact, even a Santro/Alto/Spark are doing Leh. So Ertiga of course can. Driving skills and some terrain on a certain day are of course the dynamic factors too. Yes, we should stay connected on next year Leh trip. I am planning end May-early June. 2 Ertigas from Bangalore will be a good small group.
Whats the earlies that we can go to Leh as I am planning the trip with my kids too and would be more enjoyable if its during the summer break. I am game for end of May as then they will not have to miss school. Let the plan start rolling now for the target of May to be Leh'ed, what say. Probably we can have some more car's joining in so that we have options available.

Last edited by kailashnj : 30th September 2013 at 10:55.
Old 30th September 2013, 13:56   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Whats the earlies that we can go to Leh as I am planning the trip with my kids too and would be more enjoyable if its during the summer break. I am game for end of May as then they will not have to miss school. Let the plan start rolling now for the target of May to be Leh'ed, what say. Probably we can have some more car's joining in so that we have options available.
Hi

There are 2 schools of thought on the best time - June or Sept. June has good views, but roads are bad and hotel prices are high. Sept the crowd has gone back, roads are good and hotels are easy to get.

I am personally inclined to June timeframe.

Dropped you a PM with some additional thoughts.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 13th October 2013, 11:54   #144
BHPian

Hi

Its been some days that all was working well and usual office and other errands commute meant no news.

2 minor matters do warrant mention -

One - the LHS headlamp bulb went kaput. No big deal, got another. Its the same make and replaced it. Also bought 2 extra ones so that I have them in the stock on a long drive. Its Philips 90/100.

Second - The only (and that's something on which I have written previously also) lighter went kaput. First time I heard of any lighter going kaput. In my other drive, the Opel Corsa Sail, I have had 2 of them and they have worked for all the 10 years till now. Well off I went to Pratham and they set that right.

I asked the Pratham folks if they could give me another one somewhere in the rear and they said yes. I was quick to grab that opportunity. Now there is a second lighter on the left side of the 3rd row. Very happy with that work. Total spent - 330 on the lighter and 200 on the Philips 90/100 replacement.

Since we drive a fair bit on our long journey's I am presently preparing a small medical kit. The usual stuff but ideas are welcome.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 07:35   #145
BHPian

Hi Rajain ,

I have attached a file for your reference . I've been doing the same thing now , building a medical kit .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RecommendedContentsofFirstAidBoxes.pdf (1.32 MB, 5075 views)
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 10:04   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Hi Rajain ,

I have attached a file for your reference . I've been doing the same thing now , building a medical kit .
Hi Gautam

Thanks for sending the link. There is an area in Bangalore where medical shop owners/emergency responders/ambulances/nursing stations and the like order these kits from. I am scheduled to get over there on the weekend and will check them out as well. The Indian ones should be in the range of 500-600 rs. I'll share the kit contents once I have it.

On another note - do you know if the vehicle comes with a AC filter? I was reading on another ownership review and seemed like folks were questioning if it is a standard fitment or to be purchased later. My understanding is that it should be standard fitment with a regular replace/clean schedule on it.

Rajain
Old 18th October 2013, 12:45   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On another note - do you know if the vehicle comes with a AC filter?
Rajain
I have read it in another Ertiga thread that AC filter is not a standard fitment. However you can check with MASS for an AC filter, I have seen that the filter box in MASS and it costs around Rs 350.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 18:28   #148
BHPian

Hi Rajain,

I am planning to go over the weekend to the MASS again and will surely find out if the AC Filter is Standard fitment. Will let you guys know.

Regards,
Kailash
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:22   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rajain,

I am planning to go over the weekend to the MASS again and will surely find out if the AC Filter is Standard fitment. Will let you guys know.

Regards,
Kailash

Hi Kailash

I called up my SA and over phone he told me that it is a standard fitment. I asked him 2-3 times in a variety of ways and he said its standard. My worry was did he really understand or was he wanting to get off the phone quickly!

Perhaps being at the MASS will be veery useful.

Cheers
Old 23rd October 2013, 15:23   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kailash

I called up my SA and over phone he told me that it is a standard fitment. I asked him 2-3 times in a variety of ways and he said its standard. My worry was did he really understand or was he wanting to get off the phone quickly!

Perhaps being at the MASS will be veery useful.

Cheers
I was charged 3K extra for the dealer basic kit which included the usual floor mats, gods idol and other blah blah blah. and AC Filter was added to my car only during that time. They had charged 390rs for the AC filter then.

So I wonder if this is a standard fitment, or if they have added it now(After all it hardly costs anything !!)

Most Viewed