Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:31   #181
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 30,000 kms & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Fully agree with you on the AC. Incidentally we are discussing the same today in my ownership review too. The Huge glass area and volume inside is one reason the AC takes a while to cool but this is certainly not a deal breaker.

Once it cools, there is absolutely no cause for concern at all..
You are right. Over the weekend I had drive from HSR to Whitefield to Chika Tirupati - overall about 1.5 hrs with outside temperature being 35-36 as per the temperature gauge. And I can say inside after teh first few minutes the car was fine with speed 1 of the fan or just few instances of speed 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I have been parking my car out in the open during the peak summer afternoon and the car heats up to beyond 40-45 Deg inside. I also have art leather seats.

I also do similar to what you do
1. Roll down all windows for first couple of mins
2. Turn on the AC with windows still rolled down
3. Slowly close the windows 70% by 5 mins and Switch on the rear blower even when i am driving alone for 5-10 mins and that helps in rapidly cooling the cabin.

So from my observation, Cabin cools down within 10 mins(Applicable for Bangalore summer)
The cabin becomes cool and the AC comes across as effective within a few minutes of the car having been parked under the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I agree with all your observations about AC. I find it is quite effective and I don't see any effect on driveability of the car.

However, there is a significant drop in FE, at least 2kmpl drop compared to the FE during winter days. With 100% city driving, I get around 13-13.5kmpl nowadays andI used to get around 15-15.5kmpl during winter. I would like to know your experience with FE when AC is used all the time. Idle RPM shoots upto almost 1000RPM when AC is switched on from 800RPM without AC. I think the ECU injects more fuel for same amount of throttle when AC is turned on.
With AC the needle does not jump to 1000 rpm in the case of my vehicle but yes there is a slight jump. It is just below 1000. I was getting 16.5 or so in winter and it has dropped to 15 - give or take. The other contributing factor is bumper to bumper or gear 3/4/5 driving.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 18:10   #182
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 17,000 kms & counting

Hi

Some days since an update came. Well not just an update but a milestone.

An important milestone crossed - 30,000 kms. The service was quick and easy.

Good -
  • Very stable
  • Refined handling
  • Good brakes
  • Steering is good
  • AC is competent
  • Engine never feels underpowered
  • Ground Clearance
  • Good service - every single time
  • Sound system
Could be better -
  • Ocassional rattles - particularly driver seat (Ok I get the message - need to reduce)
  • There should have been more engine options/4x4 option like XUV or Aria
  • Door insulation - I eventually got sound dampner
  • AC could have been more seat specific (like Innova)
  • Headlights - could have been far better
  • Cooled glove box
  • Climate control
  • Under engine protection plate.
I look forward to more miles and smiles.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 18:20   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
An important milestone crossed - 30,000 kms. The service was quick and easy.
Congratulations for the 30k. Mine would reach 20k in the next 2 days.

Quote:
  • Engine never feels underpowered
I have to agree. With so many trips in over the last 6 months plus a very recent one traversing the Western Ghats of Chorla and Joida, I was quite impressed with its climbing abilities under full load.
The trick of course is simple - Keep the revs around 2000 and keep chugging along the ghats.

Quote:
  • Ground Clearance
Absolutely! 185mm has ensured that I don't recall a single episode of underbody scrapping right from the lip all the way till the tail.

Quote:
  • Ocassional rattles - particularly driver seat (Ok I get the message - need to reduce)
The seats do make noise while rubbing against each other, especially if you have installed art leather covers. The Headrests if pulled out also add to a bit of rattles when driving all alone - Not something that I will seriously bother about. Its still peaceful.

Quote:
  • Door insulation - I eventually got sound dampner
Why and what did you insulate the doors with? I think the Noise insulation is pretty well controlled in the Ertiga.

Quote:
  • Headlights - could have been far better
I agree. Not that happy even after an upgrade to 100/90. I daily move my WagonR ahead to make way for the Ertiga to park and there is an instant realization on how good the focus of the WagonR lights is with the same set-up.
Old 18th June 2014, 20:28   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations for the 30k. Mine would reach 20k in the next 2 days.
Congratulations. It is a vehicle that will last. I would not call it solid build or supremely sturdy but it will last 1,50,000 kms (hopefully). I know of several Marutis that have crossed 2,00,000 kms. - your Wagon R including.

Quote:
I have to agree. With so many trips in over the last 6 months plus a very recent one traversing the Western Ghats of Chorla and Joida, I was quite impressed with its climbing abilities under full load.
The trick of course is simple - Keep the revs around 2000 and keep chugging along the ghats.
You bet it is. Plus I also have a tuning box. And the setting there is P1.

Quote:
185mm has ensured that I don't recall a single episode of underbody scrapping right from the lip all the way till the tail.
The GC is impressive and even on bad roads or almost no roads in some sections in coffee estates in Coorg there has not been a single instance of belly scrapping.

Quote:
Why and what did you insulate the doors with? I think the Noise insulation is pretty well controlled in the Ertiga.
Actually the sound dampner was not installed for noise insulation. It was installed for speakers. The noise insulation is actually pretty good. Even the doors have bidding.

Quote:
I agree. Not that happy even after an upgrade to 100/90. I daily move my WagonR ahead to make way for the Ertiga to park and there is an instant realization on how good the focus of the WagonR lights is with the same set-up.
The light set up for a MUV category vehicle is - well poor. 55/60 W does not do justice. For a vehicle that is primarily built as a long distance highway MUV there needed to be better lights. I am ok with the 90/100 upgrade. But on the highway (only 4 or 6 laned ones) I use the Light Force. A 90/100 is not sufficient for a dark night.

Cheers
Old 26th June 2014, 12:23   #185
BHPian

Hi

have the other owners heard rattles from any of the seats?

The driver seat in my LUV keeping rattling. I took it to Pratham once for sorting it out. They did somethings, rattles have reduced but its not totally eliminated.

I asked them to replace the bolts - they did not have new bolts.

Any suggestions are welcome. There is no other rattle or noise at this stage - 30500 kms done.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 26th June 2014, 13:43   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

have the other owners heard rattles from any of the seats?

The driver seat in my LUV keeping rattling. I took it to Pratham once for sorting it out. They did somethings, rattles have reduced but its not totally eliminated.

I asked them to replace the bolts - they did not have new bolts.

Any suggestions are welcome. There is no other rattle or noise at this stage - 30500 kms done.

Cheers
Rajain
After I got my seat covers done I noticed that the driver and co-passenger seat back has a play (almost 2-3 inches) over the hinges where the Seat and Back meet.

I was surprised that such a play existed and how useless can seatbelts prove with this kind of play in the seat back.

Just to ascertain that this was unusual (Only with my Ertiga) I also checked the seats in my friend's Ertiga which definitely did exhibit this play.

So it was certain that the play had developed over a period of time after I got the seat covers done.

I opened the plastic cladding right below the lever to adjust the back (Left hand side for the co-passenger seat and on right hand side for the driver's seat). There were 2 (If I can recall) bolts behind this over a metal clamp which was securing the hinge mechanism of the seat. It easily appeared to be loose and using a socket wrench I torqued it fully and the play was eliminated.

You may want to check this for the seat rattle that you are facing.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 09:10   #187
BHPian

Quote:
You may want to check this for the seat rattle that you are facing.
Thanks Parag. I am going to be checking this soon. I don't like even a small rattle or sound inside the cabin apart from music, people talking or sounds of vehicles passing by.

Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 27th June 2014, 10:39   #188
BHPian

Hi Rajain. At 30.4k today for my Ertiga as well. No rattles or squeaks so far, did not need any dampening as well. I run the car in P2 equivalent setting consistently. Pending the full service, perhaps after another 1k Kms.

Have not faced light related problems after moving to a 100/90 setup. Perhaps, needs some adjustment or try other bulbs? I am using Philips Rally bulbs.

Why have you mentioned under engine plate in your wishlist? Have you encountered any situation where this would have been needed considering the above average ground clearance of this vehicle?

Last edited by latentpotential : 27th June 2014 at 10:40. Reason: Word
Old 28th June 2014, 11:58   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Hi Rajain. At 30.4k today for my Ertiga as well. No rattles or squeaks so far, did not need any dampening as well. I run the car in P2 equivalent setting consistently. Pending the full service, perhaps after another 1k Kms.
Its great to hear that this vehicle has a long life. Which tuning box have you installed? I have almost always used a P1 setting.

Quote:
Have not faced light related problems after moving to a 100/90 setup. Perhaps, needs some adjustment or try other bulbs? I am using Philips Rally bulbs.
For some reason in the last 1.5 years I had 2 bulbs go ka put. But I still decided to stay with 100/90 bulbs. I think I have H4 Philips with Philips relay. Yes the stock was not adequate. Though I must confess that 100/90 is overkill within city - so I am always on a low beam in the city and on a 2 lane highway. I also have extra spot light - light force. Which are always covered in the city and in use when on a 4 (or 6 lane) highway.

Quote:
Why have you mentioned under engine plate in your wishlist? Have you encountered any situation where this would have been needed considering the above average ground clearance of this vehicle?
I think all cars sold in India must have an under engine protection plate. Our roads have enough stones/pebbles that can become projectiles and come to puncher the sump guard. There is a thread on team-bhp where this has happened to someone. Minus the GQ sections most roads have this issue of stones/pebbles lying around. Yes the GC is certainly nice and I have never had any situation where it has scrapped its bottom.

Mods- Can you please change the Title of the thread to "Ertiga Zdi: 30,000 kms & counting"

Cheers

Rajain
Old 2nd July 2014, 08:18   #190
BHPian

Hi

Two minor updates

1. Got AC air filter. Imagine such a thing did not come standard. They removed the glovebox and right behind it installed the AC air filter. There is a instant difference in the smell of the air inside the cabin.

2. The LHS headlamp high beam went kaput - again. I think this is the 3rd time since purchase. I now carry 2 extra bulbs. Replaced it. Wonder why it keeps going kaput. The set up is Philips 90/100 with Philips relay.

The cabin AC filter is worth 340 rs and is something that should have been standard fitment. Thankfully it is not all that expensive but one wonders why not standard fitment.

The headlamp going kaput - only when high beam is baffling. In a 22 month ownership this is the 3rd time that the headlamp has gone kaput. The set up is standard. It is Philips 90/100 with Philips relay. Again, not all that expensive - 230 or 240 rs of replacement and done in 10 mts. Though it does leave me thinking why it should go kaput.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 2nd July 2014, 08:32   #191
BANNED

Quote:
1. There is a instant difference in the smell of the air inside the cabin.

2. The LHS headlamp high beam went kaput - again. The set up is Philips 90/100 with Philips relay.
1. Surprising that it didn't come from factory. Reason being both the Ertiga ZDi and my Swift ZDi had the filter from Day 1 (From PDI time). Nevertheless good that it is installed, the replacement frequency is every 20K kms?

2. Is the wiring stock or was it from the Philips 100/90 kit? I have doubts on the wiring (LHS mainly) or the holder connections. Have a look at them.

Anyrag.
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:04   #192
BHPian

Quote:
1. Got AC air filter. Imagine such a thing did not come standard. They removed the glovebox and right behind it installed the AC air filter. There is a instant difference in the smell of the air inside the cabin.
Fitted the AC air filter during my 2nd service at 5K. After knowing about this through internet, I was about to ask this to SA when giving for the service. But he told me about this option before I ask him and I gave green signal to fit. Changed the filters for 20K and 40K service after that.

Quote:
The headlamp going kaput - only when high beam is baffling. In a 22 month ownership this is the 3rd time that the headlamp has gone kaput. The set up is standard. It is Philips 90/100 with Philips relay. Again, not all that expensive - 230 or 240 rs of replacement and done in 10 mts. Though it does leave me thinking why it should go kaput.
I also have the similar set-up in my Ertiga with Philips 90/100 bulb and Hella relay for last 18 months. I have covered around 50K kilometers with this set-up and did not face any issues till date. Hope the problem you are facing may be due to improper connection as told by Anurag. Try doing the connections once again properly by an experienced electrician.
I have the same set-up in my Maruti 800 (Philips bulbs with Bosch relay) which runs strong even after 4 years and 60K kilometers.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:52   #193
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 5000 kms & counting

Quote:
Hi Csanad

I find the 3D Kagu mats very neat. The color also would suit the interiors. The reason I went for 3M mats is that invariably some dust gathers from the shoes to the mat. 3M mats make sure that dust is not sucked up. In fact it rests at the bottom of the mat and its not visible either.

I could not agree more. I found the MGA rubber mats to be totally useless and tacky. I did not buy them and in fact asked them to cut that out from the price also. The 3M mats are actually cut to size - bespoke. They will make sure edge to edge it covers.
Hi Rajain,

After using the 3M Nomad mats for my Ertiga for the past 8-9 months I see a few issues as below. Please let me know if you found any solutions:

1. The driver side mat prevents the clutch & other pedals from being fully pressed. Option is to cut the mat that goes below the pedals, or fold & expose that part.

2. While 3M made sure mat fits end to end, they did not fasten mats to the floor with velcro. Is it the same case for you also? Due to this in some places the mat keeps folding exposing the floor. I'm thinking of putting some velcro to glue them.

3. Under the 2nd row seats also I got 3M mats to cover the exposed area when the middle row seat slides back. Did you get them also? I found that Kagu mats dont cover this area. In fact, 3M told me their mats for Ertiga usually dont cover this area. Again, mats in this area need to be fastened with velcro or in some other way, else they keep slipping.

About rattles, I noticed many rattles , some of which were fixed during service, but there is still a rattle from the driver side door & from the last row. Its hard to say where the rattles exactly come from. I've just given up on making the car totally rattle free.

About the upgraded lighting, does fitting the relay (electrical work) for a more powerful 100/90 set affect the warranty? With my 3rd-4th yr extended warranty, I dont want to wait that long.

I too have a tuning box - recently got the Spider tuning box fitted at Red Rooster Performance & it has really pleased me with better torque & driveability. Mileage seems to be the same or slightly higher (0.5-1 kmpl).

Last edited by csanand : 2nd July 2014 at 15:10.
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:18   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1. Surprising that it didn't come from factory. Reason being both the Ertiga ZDi and my Swift ZDi had the filter from Day 1 (From PDI time). Nevertheless good that it is installed, the replacement frequency is every 20K kms?

2. Is the wiring stock or was it from the Philips 100/90 kit? I have doubts on the wiring (LHS mainly) or the holder connections. Have a look at them.

Anyrag.
Thanks. I am going to check all the connections. Certainly a bit of bother that every few months the bulb goes kaput. Thankfully I have Light Force and if needed that is useful...but that i used only on highways of 4 or 6 lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Fitted the AC air filter during my 2nd service at 5K. After knowing about this through internet, I was about to ask this to SA when giving for the service. But he told me about this option before I ask him and I gave green signal to fit. Changed the filters for 20K and 40K service after that.
Yeah it surprised me that the AC cabin filter does not come as standard. After fitting it there was an instant extra freshness in the cabin air quality. That said, I use an old tried and tested method for keeping the cabin air fresh - good old Odonil under the seat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Try doing the connections once again properly by an experienced electrician.
Yes I am getting this verified and redone if necessary. I hate even one minor noise/rattle/other matter in the vehicle.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:19   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
Hi Rajain,

After using the 3M Nomad mats for my Ertiga for the past 8-9 months I see a few issues as below. Please let me know if you found any solutions:

1. The driver side mat prevents the clutch & other pedals from being fully pressed. Option is to cut the mat that goes below the pedals, or fold & expose that part.
Actually I did not feel the clutch is not fully pressed. I will check again today. Folding may not be a good idea as it will double the width. The only downside I found with these mats is that persistant use does 'press' them and it looks bad.

Quote:
2. While 3M made sure mat fits end to end, they did not fasten mats to the floor with velcro. Is it the same case for you also? Due to this in some places the mat keeps folding exposing the floor. I'm thinking of putting some velcro to glue them.
Again, for some reason I have never felt them to move about. Two reasons I could think of it - one the size is cut corner to corner and second the floor has the beige thin carpet which does have some holding capability and does not really slip the mats.

Quote:
3. Under the 2nd row seats also I got 3M mats to cover the exposed area when the middle row seat slides back. Did you get them also? I found that Kagu mats dont cover this area. In fact, 3M told me their mats for Ertiga usually dont cover this area. Again, mats in this area need to be fastened with velcro or in some other way, else they keep slipping.
I don't have any exposed area. Any place where there is a footwell it is covered with these mats. I noticed that someone recently got 3M nomad mats for their Ertiga and the 2nd row seat was a full cover - single piece. Looks great and I am sure it won't slip.

Quote:
About rattles, I noticed many rattles , some of which were fixed during service, but there is still a rattle from the driver side door & from the last row. Its hard to say where the rattles exactly come from. I've just given up on making the car totally rattle free.
I am not letting my car out of any workshop without them not making a serious effort of eliminating all rattles. The only rattle I have is on the driver's seat. It is still not done and I will continue to pursue it. I know some folks call it a rattlesnake but I know deligent hard work should be able to resolve matters.

Quote:
About the upgraded lighting, does fitting the relay (electrical work) for a more powerful 100/90 set affect the warranty? With my 3rd-4th yr extended warranty, I dont want to wait that long.
I am sure it does void the warranty - but ultimately this wiring is independent and won't touch other main eletricals.

Quote:
I too have a tuning box - recently got the Spider tuning box fitted at Red Rooster Performance & it has really pleased me with better torque & driveability. Mileage seems to be the same or slightly higher (0.5-1 kmpl).
I liked the tuning box and Race Dynamics claims that it does not put additional pressure on the engine. The higher rpms actually reduce out the tuning box work. Its very effective at lower rpms. This is what I have been told. The low end torque is actually good with a tuning box.

Cheers

Rajain

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks