Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2014, 13:54   #196
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 17,000 kms & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Its great to hear that this vehicle has a long life. Which tuning box have you installed? I have almost always used a P1 setting.

Cheers

Rajain
I use a RaceChip which I can configure myself anytime I want to. For a road trip recently to Aurangabad, moved it into a P2+ kind of a setting just to see what kind of strain may come on to the engine. Mileage was a respectable 17 kmpl during usage of this setting, however, there was a bit more engine noise than usual.

Then, during another trip to Pune, toned it to a P1 equivalent, and it is very very smooth sounding now. 18+kmpl. Will keep experimenting and reporting back.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 12:09   #197
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 31,000 kms & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
I use a RaceChip which I can configure myself anytime I want to. For a road trip recently to Aurangabad, moved it into a P2+ kind of a setting just to see what kind of strain may come on to the engine. Mileage was a respectable 17 kmpl during usage of this setting, however, there was a bit more engine noise than usual.

Then, during another trip to Pune, toned it to a P1 equivalent, and it is very very smooth sounding now. 18+kmpl. Will keep experimenting and reporting back.
Hi

I have the race dynamics box. It has the same settings-P1, P2, E and S. 95% of the times it is on P1 setting and more than sufficient. A couple of times I have taken it to P2 setting. That was when I was driving a steep incline and we were at 6500 plus altitude in Conoor.

In my routine Bangalore - Mumbai runs I keep it at P1 setting. At a steady speed of 120 kmph I get 16.5 and sometimes 17 kpl. A couple of variables influence this. One is the wind resistance to the Thule roof top box and the other is inclines or descends.

Just once in the last 2 years did I feel the race dynamics box was probably not working. Guess what the race dynamics company's office is actually very close to my residence. I drove up and they took it off and re tuned it. All set after that.

I asked them if the box gives any additional stress to the engine and they confirmed to me that it does not. So it is all set for now.

Good experience with the race dynamics group.

Cheers.

Rajain
Old 4th August 2014, 08:44   #198
BHPian

Some time in the last few weeks was spent on getting our new car, Hyundai Xcent AT (for my wife).

Comparisons with Ertiga, at least on the features, is obvious.

To think of it, we were reminded of what the Ertiga does not have - well a reverse camera, Automatic Climate Control, cooled glove box, Bluetooth enabled music system and to think of it on road we paid almost 1.6 L for the Ertiga.

Wonder why a top end model would not have some of these features which are reasonably basic and at least top end versions must have these.
Old 4th August 2014, 12:36   #199
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post

Wonder why a top end model would not have some of these features which are reasonably basic and at least top end versions must have these.
Congratulations on the Xcent Sir.

Since the Mobilio has now been launched, Maruti will give the Ertiga a refresh / face lift.

I am sure the above listed features will make it into the car this time.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th August 2014 at 12:37.
Old 4th August 2014, 18:32   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congratulations on the Xcent Sir.

Since the Mobilio has now been launched, Maruti will give the Ertiga a refresh / face lift.

I am sure the above listed features will make it into the car this time.

Anurag.
Hi Anurag

Thank you. Appreciate you looking at the Xcent review.

The pricing of the Mobilio has left quite a few people unhappy. See the number of pages dedicated to this in the Mobilio official review thread.

Meanwhile Ertiga has pushed out a few discounts and a limited version edition.

I understand the limited edition is also being positioned as a milestone for selling 1,50,000 Ertigas.

Yes a facelift or certainly adding a few more features will be a good idea - at least Maruti should have made that available on a top end version.

Cheers
Old 6th August 2014, 10:12   #201
BHPian

I was at Pratham Motors paying my insurance for 3rd year and at least 7 people asked me their view on a comparo with Mobilio.

I have not extensively spent time or viewed a Mobilio with that view in mind so deferred off a conversation but a few of the people had seen Mobilio and came to look at Ertiga. One got chatting with me and hopefully I answered all his questions without a bias.

His general view was Ertiga gave him more bang for the buck and that it was time tested.

Anyway, got the insurance renewed for the next year. Good service at Pratham again.

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier but I also get the aux lights and the Thule roof top box insured.

Cheers
Rajain

Last edited by Rajain : 6th August 2014 at 10:25. Reason: spelling and additional detail
Old 14th August 2014, 20:19   #202
BHPian

A quick update.

A solo drive out to Chennai for 2 days. A total of 680 kms or so. Chennai is hot - was 37 in the day and humid. The AC was perfect. On the way back there was very heavy downpour for about an hour. So much so that visibility was down to 15-20 feet. Had it not been for the wonderful Light Force - that lit up the road and I was able to maintain decent speeds. The vehicle did acquaplane a couple of times. On some of the climbs trucks were finding it difficult anyway with the gradual climb but perhaps given the rain the visibility too would have been an issue.

All in all the low fuel warning came up after 655 kms and I got 34.75 ltrs filled again. An average of 18.84 kmpl. This with 100 kmph as a steady speed and AC on all the time.

From a route standpoint -

Bangalore to Hosur - some traffic and a couple of diversions
Hosur to Krishnagiri - sparse traffic and great highway
Krishnagiri to Sriperumbudur - sparse traffic and great highway
Sriperumbudur to Chennai - Fair bit of traffic and some potholes

All in all a distance of about 330 kms in 5 hours or so.

From Dire Straits to Kishore Kumar to Sufi to Ghulam Ali -- they were all great company.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 08:29   #203
BHPian

Its been a few days since the last update. The front driver's seat had begun rattling again. I took it to Pratham and said I am not going home without this getting fixed. And fix they did. It took almost an hour - all nuts and bolts were tightened, some greasing was done and some sort of spray was sprayed. I had even authorised replacing the bolts which they said was not necessary. And they did not charge as well. Nice of them. After the trip a drive of about 750 kms and no rattles.

I have heard and read elsewhere that Marutis turn out to be rattlesnakes but I am determined that this will not be the case. Whenever there is even one rattle I want it fixed. I want to enjoy the music without this additional DJ effect!

After the rains I am hoping to take it to 3M and get a good paint protection cleaning done. Typically I would have done it on the 2 year mark in early Aug but I pushed it to end of Sept or early Oct when it is more dry.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:58   #204
BHPian

Last weekend was spent in a good cleaning up of the vehicle. Although there is a person who cleans up the car everyday but there are places which need my attention - lights, dashboard, alloy wheels and the lovely Karlsson seats.

So, here come the tools -

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07496-1024x768.jpg

A couple of routine house cleaning liquids, a leather seat treatment and a scrub.

The first port of call was the dashboard. Although most of the times I am driving with window panes up but sometimes it is rolled down, particularly at toll booths and there is a fair bit of dust that comes in at those places. A wipe, followed by light scrub, then the dashboard spray and finally a dry cloth.

The next was the alloy wheels.

The alloy wheels get the worst and the best. At best they get good roads and at worst - well slush. They were dirty. First was a clean water bath, then drying, then one of these kitchen surface cleaners and then the wipe. Finally a dry wipe. I had also carried a Johnson ear bud for cleaning the area around the bolts.

Check the after cleaning up result.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07497-1024x768.jpg

The next stop was the headlight. The headlight anyway has a thin 3M film on it. So the wipe and cleaning is anyway easy. First was clean water, then a newspaper, then one of these kitchen cleaning spray for plastic surfaces and finally a dry wipe. I have always believed in the dead of a dark night it is only the lights that help you.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07514-1024x768.jpg

Next was the cover of my aux lights. I always have a cover on when driving within city. But that means its not opened and cleaned. Almost immediately after moving these light from my earlier car, Opel Corsa Sail, I had got these new covers made. They are made of rexine, have 2 layers of .5 inches of foam and then a soft cloth on the inside where the lens of the light is. It is covered with elastic and so far they have lasted 2 years. Had got them made from the - well neighbourhood cobbler. So, they needed to be cleaned. A dry wipe, then the Nano leather spray, first a wet wipe and then a dry wipe. No picture.

Finally was the turn of my car's seats. Particularly the front 2 seats. Special attention was given to place where the belt comes. An untucked shirt often times leaves a sweat mark. Ditto for the time when I come back from tennis. My T shirt is normally dripping. A dry wipe first, then the Nano leather treatment spray and then a dry wipe.

A picture will do justice.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07500-1024x768.jpg

Sorry about the somewhat dark pictures. Its a basement parking.

All in all I will say a couple of hours well spent. Any comments/observations?
Old 22nd September 2014, 20:27   #205
BHPian

It's been a few days since I updated this thread.

Nothing significant to report. The car has been doing good. One evening drove through almost 2 feet of water on my way back from Chikka Tirupati.

With the rains now subsiding I am planning to take it for a comprehensive clean up.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 17th November 2014, 12:30   #206
BHPian

Hi

Its been a while since I updated this thread.

A few quick out station trips have meant the vehicle crossed 36k.

We spent a longish weekend in Coorg and Nagarhole region. Three family members and a fair bit of lagguage for the 4 days. The ride was good and the vehicle had no trouble at all in the coffee plantations in Coorg. First time my mom sat in the vehicle and loved it. My brothers have several nice vehicles and my mom rated the ride quality of this to be nice and plaint.

Service coming up in a couple of thousand kms and I plan to retain Castrol Edge. I have also thought of getting a complete interior cleaning up done. I had driven to 3M a couple of months ago and they had suggested that this be done post rainy season.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 25th November 2014, 16:44   #207
BHPian

Hi

Crossed 36K in recent days. The engine oil has dropped a notch but well over the middle mark. While I did not action on that I certainly topped up the collent - maybe 75-100 ml. I recently learnt that one can add distilled water also. My previous understanding was only coolent should be added.

Tires look good to last till 45k or even 50k. The present set of tires are Yokohama A drive 205/60 R 15 but I am not averse to getting 195/60 R 15 in the next change. Maybe Michellin. That said I have had no complaints from Yokos either.

Castrol Edge will continue in the engine in the next service which is still a couple of thousand kms away. Year end is coming up and in case we drive more than 500 kms in the year end vacation then I will go in for service before the drive otherwise in the new year.

Morel speakers replaced JBL co-ax in the middle bench. I was selling my Opel and took Morel out from there. The sound is heavier and slightly better distributed. The front ones are JBL compos.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 27th November 2014, 22:34   #208
BHPian

Corsa Sail - Sailed into the sunset

What are the chances that you say bye to your first love. Why would you want to say bye. Well here is the final bye to our first love - Opel Corsa Sail. Besides, I was born in a family where buying a car meant keeping a car if it was taken care of.

Back in Aug 2003 not too many options existed. We were not keen for the odd looking Matiz or Santro (the first model was not all that good looking, the subsequent one was far better). When I first saw the Sail at the British Motors showroom in Connaught Place in New Delhi I really liked it. No test drive was available so a couple of weeks later when I found myself in Pune we went to the Opel showroom there and were very happy to find a test drive. Soon the decision was made to buy it. The cost - well back then I could have purchased 2 Marutis for the cost of 1 Opel. The mental block of 4 lakhs for a car was high. Funding arranged, loan taken and we set sail on a long journey - with the Sail.

Over the years I drove it extensively across north, west and south Indian states. The longest journey was Bangalore to Chandigarh and there were numerous Bangalore-Mumbai runs. Our first long drive was actually Delhi to Pune and back when most national highways were two laned roads.

The sturdy suspension, the plush ride quality, the smooth handling, the chilled AC and assured braking - never let us down. Over the years it consistently returned 18-19 kmpl in highway runs. We drove it over sand dunes, rocky mountainous roads, kutcha village roads, through 2 feet water, through coffee plantations and through lovely expressways.

In a sense, it saw, with me our country transform from 2 lane national highways to 6 lane expressways. It saw 6 fully grown men being transported from Pune to Shirdi and back - with their bags. When bag space became less a Thule roof top box came handy. When the lights felt less Light Force lent force. When stock (cassette based) music system felt a little out of tune additional speakers and HU (CD/MP3) were changed in keeping with the times. One day back when we were in Delhi we wanted to go for a long drive just listening to gazals - well Delhi to Jaipur and back. At another time Delhi to Ranthambore - I saw my first jungle tiger there. At Sariska the monkeys ripped the windscreen bidding. Thankfully that was set right an hour later. The famous north Indian fog on a night long drive from Bhatinda cantt to Noida. Ditto for Delhi to Chandigarh. The massive downpour of Mumbai rains, the tight handling in old Delhi streets (including the iron bridge to cross the Yamuna). The heads bowed at Aurobindo Ashram in Pondicherry or the fun filled beaches in Goa. A dozen para military men surrounding and checking it in Jammu & Kashmir or the royal palaces of Rajasthan. Speeding through the country's 2 expressways Pune-Mumbai and Ahemdabad-Vadodra (back then only 2) to heritage Agra, Jaipur or scenic Simla. The hair pin bends on the climb from Masinagudi to Ooty and the lovely highways between Bangalore-Hyderabad and Bangalore-Chennai. The backwater in Allepay or the climb to Waynad from Calicut. The lovely coffee plantations of Coorg or the jungles of Bandipore/Nagarhole. The vehicle saw a lot of India - never letting me down in some really remote areas.

Over the years I just replaced the tires, battery, fuel pump, clutch, wipers and 2 fuses. Several accessories had been added. Light Force, Thule Roof top box, art leather seat covers, 90/100w bulbs with relay, K&N filter, Sony HU with 9 speaker system to name a few. The suspension had been raised using a spacer and it always had the engine protection plate. The Germans had built a strong sturdy car that was suited to take Indian roads. However, with the model being discontinued the writing was on the wall. Spare parts were still available though for one fuel pump I had to order and wait for 5 days. Brain prevailed over heart. All good things have to end. Last month I parted ways with the Opel and handed over the keys to the next owner. After the Ertiga came into the garage the Opel was rarely being used.

Opel Corsa Sail 1.4 (Aug 2003-Oct 2014, 1,92,563 kms)

Some pictures to end this tribute.
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-coorg-mar-2010-099-1024x768.jpg  

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc04221-1024x768.jpg  

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc04638-1024x768.jpg  

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc04858-1024x768.jpg  

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc05524-1024x768.jpg  

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc06113-1024x768.jpg  

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc06138-1024x768.jpg  

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07369-1024x768.jpg  

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07373-1024x768.jpg  

Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 12:35   #209
BHPian

Hi

Weekend normally has one almost mandatory work - that to comprehensively clean up the car.

This weekend has been no different and I spent a couple of hours on clean up paying special attention to the places which are not usually covered by the car cleaner.

Checked the oil levels also. The engine oil is now showing at half - time since the last service has been approx. 8750 kms. The engine oil is Castrol Edge. The coolant was just a shade below the upper mark. I added coolant. Yes I had recently learnt that distilled water also holds good. But I had coolant at home and added it.

Changed some music, replenished water, biscuits, checked the torch, the mobile charger, the medical kit and the hydraulic bottle jack. All in good order. Also checked the tyre treads. I see no issues in the tyre lasting another 10k. The odo is presently at 37k.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 10th December 2014, 17:15   #210
BHPian

The next service is coming up. Also coming up is a possible long drive over the new year week. The vehicle needs a good clean up, the 40k service and looking forward to the drive.

Cheers

Rajain

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks