Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2015, 22:54   #226
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 31,000 kms & counting

Hi

The long weekend of 24-26 Jan meant a weekend getaway. This was not impulsive. It had been planned back in December. I play tennis. Have played the game for more than 3 decades. We have a group who play regularly and all of our families know each other as well. Back in December we had a get together and decided we should all go out somewhere on a - well a tennis holiday with family and friends!

So, all of us, with families headed out to Coonoor. Wellington has a Gymkhana club and 4 of the group members are members of various affiliate clubs and therefore could play tennis there. I have been to Coonoor a few times before and we decided that we would not take the Mysore/Bandipur/Ooty route thinking there would be too much of rush. We were not wrong. I heard from several folks who were returning on the evning of Jan 26 that it took almost 5 hours for a short Mysore-Bangalore drive that evening.

Here is the route we took - Bangalore-Kanakpura-Kollegal-Metupalayam-Kotagiri-Coonoor.

There were 4 cars and 15 people of all age groups - right from kids to senior citizens. Basically there were 5 of us tennis playing friends and our families. A day before Ooty had reported a brush with freezing 0 degree. Coonoor is a 800-900 feet lower. The lowest we experienced was 3 degree. We booked ourselves in Bison Country (http://www.bisoncountry.in/Home.html). Col Rai and his wife Ruksana have very tastefully taken care of this place. The property is surrounded by tea gardens and various stretches of reserve forest.

A 6.30 AM start became 7.15 by the time the 4 cars got together at a common point and moved. But we were in no hurry. Given that there were senior citizens and kids - adequate time was spent in preparation and along the journey in taking care of people, provisions, food and water.

Some bridge had broken somewhere before Sivasamudram falls and some diversion had to be taken - and we passed through a couple of small towns - which I did not know. One of my friends' driver knew some local routes. Basically we reached Coonoor by 4 in the afternoon after a number of stops. Obviously the most noticeable aspect was the change in temperature. With the sun setting there was a fall in temperature and by the time it was 7 PM the temperature was well in single digits. The woollens came out and preparations came up for a barbeque. Yes we had brought our grill and materials along.

There was bon fire, barbeque, trekking, exploring tea gardens, heritage journey, tennis, camping and some photography. The nights were also very clear for star gazing and it helps if you camp out!

The night was cold and the lowest temperature we measured was 3 degrees. I slept in the tent and it was perhaps warmer than some of the rooms! The sleeping bag was at its best.

Over the next couple of days we had a small trek planned, rounds of tennis, wonderfully historic experience of the Niligiri mountain train, SIMS park, more barbeque, bon fire and camping.

The vehicle performed very well. Heater was used for the 2 nights that we were there when driving around. The cold start the next morning was in one turn of the key. There were several steep climbs - one of which you will see in the pictures below (ref 2nd picture-check the climb in the driveway. It climbs over 4 floors in a short steep gradient). Another one was at a tea garden - it was almost a 4x4 territory. It was taken rather easily. All in all very pleased with the performance of the Ertiga in steep mountain roads. Notice the opening post in this thread. It was the first time I took the Ertiga to Coonoor - almost 2.5 years ago. The other vehicles in the journey were Skoda Fabia (the only car), an Innova and XUV 5oo (W8). I should say I liked the drive and power of XUV 5oo also. Its lower end torque was very impressive.

All in all, the 3 day trip was 781 kms and the fuel consumed was 43.9 ltrs turning an average of 17.8 kmpl.

Some pictures

The property, Bison Country

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0230-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0234-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0235-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0342-1024x683.jpg

In our previous visits there we had also found a small library which had given way to DVDs and VCDs this time.

There are a few ducks also.

Enjoy some flowers shots in the trip

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0237-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0238-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0239-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0242-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0246-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0244-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0269-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0613-1024x683.jpg

The tennis courts at the Wellington Gymkhana around which this holiday was planned.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0336-1024x683.jpg

It also has a lovely golf course

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0337-1024x683.jpg

The historic Nilgiri Mountain Train. I must say it was quite an attraction with hundreds of people standing in a queue to board the train. One of our friend had also stood in the queue for almost 2 hours to buy tickets. The tickets are not available online. It is also a world heritage site. We took the train from Coonoor to Ooty.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0421-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0424-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0480-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0531-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0576-1024x683.jpg

Some pictures from the trek. It started from a tea estate but after a small village it had a good climb. There were also long rock faces and I took to remembering my mountaineering training.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0605-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0612-1024x683.jpg

We met him also. In fact a whole herd of them. Not too far from where we were trekking. Seeing us the big one came and gave us a charge.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0670-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0740-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0759-1024x683.jpg

Some closing shots

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0778-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0798-1024x683.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc_0811-1024x683.jpg

Hope you liked this small travelogue

Cheers

Rajain

Last edited by Rajain : 14th February 2015 at 23:07. Reason: Added detail
Rajain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:14   #227
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 40,000 kms & counting

Hi

Been a while since I updated.

During the service I was informed that some gasket on the sump was not effective and needed to be replaced. This work was needed to be done over 2 days but would be free of cost.

I was heading out of station and turned the car in for this work. Upon return it was handed over with no charges. The job card mentioned that the gasket had been replaced.

I did appreciate the pro activness of asking me for the time and letting me know that something had been noticied and needed time to fix.

Its been running smooth ever since the service. The visit to Coonoor being a testiment.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:41   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
During the service I was informed that some gasket on the sump was not effective and needed to be replaced. This work was needed to be done over 2 days but would be free of cost.
Can you post more details on this for the benefit of rest of the Ertiga owners as well?

Was the Gasket replaced due to normal wear and tear? I suppose not as you were not charged for the same. If so, what would have been the result of driving your car with the same Gasket?
Old 4th March 2015, 09:13   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Can you post more details on this for the benefit of rest of the Ertiga owners as well?

Was the Gasket replaced due to normal wear and tear? I suppose not as you were not charged for the same. If so, what would have been the result of driving your car with the same Gasket?
Hi Parag

This is what the job card informs mentions

1. Seal Cshaft oil front Rs 175

2. Gasket Oil Pump Rs 549

3. Water Pump Gasket Rs 33

4. Loctite 5900 (50 ml) Rs 681

This was all covered in warranty and so I did not pay anything. I was informed by the SA that nothing is dripping/leaking but these should be replaced. Why did it occur is something he could not determine. He further mentioned that they had discovered this during the service but it would take 2 days of work to replace these. However, there would not have been a downside if I drove around - which I did. The Coonoor visit was slated the very next day.

You can say it was abundance of caution that I turned the car in and asked them to replace whatever was needed to be replaced.

Now that you asked I am wondering why and how this happened. Maybe something happened during the service and they decided to bear it. In the same service during washing they forgot to cover some part of the electricals with the result that my high beam was knocked down. That I noticed before leaving and had them work on it. In fact they replaced one small box then and there since I had a travel coming up. One conjecture is maybe something happened or maybe it had already happened and it was noticed and they informed me and replaced it free of charge.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 11:40   #230
BHPian

Is this the gasket of the oil sump that can be see just below the engine block? If so, in my ZXI, this was replaced in the first service itself (Sep-Oct-2013). I had observed oil leaks and had mentioned the same to the service advisor.

They had drained all the oil, changed the gasket, applied sealant and then kept the car for 2 days, just to ensure that there are no further leaks.

May be this was a common complaint and the service station has been asked by Maruti to check and replace the gaskets in all cars under warranty.

Regards
Suhas
Old 6th March 2015, 11:06   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
Is this the gasket of the oil sump that can be see just below the engine block? If so, in my ZXI, this was replaced in the first service itself (Sep-Oct-2013). I had observed oil leaks and had mentioned the same to the service advisor.

They had drained all the oil, changed the gasket, applied sealant and then kept the car for 2 days, just to ensure that there are no further leaks.

May be this was a common complaint and the service station has been asked by Maruti to check and replace the gaskets in all cars under warranty.

Regards
Suhas
This may well be the case Suhas. And I was also asked a 2 day period. In fact I gave a 3 day window since I was out of station. Maybe all workshops got a letter or its only happening in some cases. Either ways thanks to them that at least they are fixing it without passing the charge to the customer. That part is appreciated.

Happy holi

Cheers

Rajain
Old 11th March 2015, 14:57   #232
Senior - BHPian

I had this oil leak issue right from 5K kms and during 10K service they kept for 2 days to change some packing near engine. I need to see if they used any Gasket word there.

Things looked fine for another 2-3K kms. Again the oil leak surfaced and during 20K service, MASS told me that there was some minor issue with oil sump and they rectified by just tightening it. Again things looked fine for 1-2k kms and now after 25K kms, Sadly the oil leak is still seen in my car.

I keep verifying the oil levels and it does not dip much. Even get it checked with MASS to see if anything urgent, but it seem to last 10K km twice when i ended up servicing.

I am not sure what is the problem here but I think oil leaks in Ertiga is very common and it might be a design flaw !!
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:49   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am not sure what is the problem here but I think oil leaks in Ertiga is very common and it might be a design flaw !!
I think the oil sump is same as all other Multijet/DDIS variants and not different but may be in this case, somehow it couldn't withstand the pressure buildup and causing leakage!? Its worrying to see so many acknowledging the leakage :( Need to check our car back home.

Last edited by ganesc : 3rd April 2015 at 20:50.
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:20   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
I think the oil sump is same as all other Multijet/DDIS variants and not different but may be in this case, somehow it couldn't withstand the pressure buildup and causing leakage!? Its worrying to see so many acknowledging the leakage :( Need to check our car back home.
The difference might be VGT 90 BHP engine. Its doing duty on SX4 which is not selling in big numbers and Ertiga and now Ciaz. The high selling Swift/Dzires come up with the FGT

My 25K run car still has oil leak but i think i have learnt to live with it. Oil levels dont dip and i am able to run the car peacefully for full 10000 kms before giving it for the next service during which MASS guys seem to just clean it and give as if they have fixed the problem !!

Its interesting to see if Ciaz does not have this issue and MASS learns how to fix it on Ertiga
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:28   #235
BANNED

Quote:
My 25K run car still has oil leak but i think i have learnt to live with it. Oil levels dont dip and i am able to run the car peacefully for full 10000 kms before giving it for the next service during which MASS guys seem to just clean it and give as if they have fixed the problem!!
We too have an Ertiga ZDi at home with 22K kms on the odometer but never have had the oil leak issue.

Do you have any picture if the oil leakage area on the block?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:24   #236
BHPian

Quote:
The difference might be VGT 90 BHP engine. Its doing duty on SX4 which is not selling in big numbers and Ertiga and now Ciaz. The high selling Swift/Dzires come up ...
Ok but i meant Tata Manza and Fiat Linea which uses the VGT version. Sump should fit the bottom of the engine block and so FGT and VGT wont have a different sump i guess.
I remember there was a thread in late 2012/early 2013 on this oil leak as well.
Could be something to do with the quality of gasket used by Maruti in first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do you have any picture if the oil leakage area on the block?
Its the lower portion where the oil pan fits to the bottom of the engine block.

If there isn't any oil droppings in your parking, i think you shouldnt be worried.
As he says better to check oil level too once in a while.
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:54   #237
BHPian

Quote:
My 25K run car still has oil leak but i think i have learnt to live with it. Oil levels dont dip and i am able to run the car peacefully for full 10000 kms before giving it for the next service during which MASS guys seem to just clean it and give as if they have fixed the problem !!
I have an Ertiga ZDI which has done 79K (2 years and 3 months); never experienced any problems related to oil leak. Have a habit of checking under the car all days before starting, never found anything similar till date.
paragsachania also has a VDI which done more than 45K (1.5 years); never heard any such problems from him
denver85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 14:28   #238
BHPian

Been a while since I updated. The car has now done 43K and touchwood running well.

In the last service they had changed the following -

One day I noticed small puddle of coolent over the battery and took it to Maruti ASS for cleaning up. They removed the battry and found maybe 2-3 sppons of coolent below it. I doubt if it was over the max mark but it appears it overflowed. Cleaned that up and all set now.

The vehicle continues to run do well. I ended up buying a car fridge from Tropicool. A full detailed report on the fridge coming up soon.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 28th April 2015, 10:51   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Been a while since I updated. The car has now done 43K and touchwood running well.

In the last service they had changed the following -

Any reason for replacing these parts? Gaskets are usually only replaced if the actual component was removed or if there is a leak
Old 28th April 2015, 10:57   #240
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

Any reason for replacing these parts? Gaskets are usually only replaced if the actual component was removed or if there is a leak
Look at the link below for your answer :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3656179

Read Post No.: 227 and 229.

During the service time the SA had informed of some leakage and the need to replace the gasket to arrest the same.

Last edited by a4anurag : 28th April 2015 at 11:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks