Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2012, 18:21   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel

There is a dead pedal but it is hidden under the carpet. When you rest your foot you know it's there.
I don't think it is a dead pedal,but just a slight amount of padding to rest the foot. Maruti doesn't have a dead pedal in any of its models.
Old 9th December 2012, 11:15   #17
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 5000 kms & counting

Hi Omtoatom - Thank you. Yes the pictures are coming up on Sunday afternoon. I will also try and get pictures of RD box install and removal.

Hi Miharbe and Denver85 - The ZDI/ZXI are available with and without alloys. The alloys delivery has proved to be a painpoint for Maruti Suzuki. It appears their vendor is in Thailand (I could be wrong) and is unable to cope with the demand. This has been delaying the delivery of ZDI/ZXI models. So to overcome that Maruti Suzuki has offered without alloys for ZDI/ZXI. The price difference is approx 30,000. It is my understanding that stock alloys are the lightest. Yes even they have a waiting. From Aug till now that’s what the waiting is...and counting.

Hi Swiftdiesel - That you for your kind words. Dieseltronic most likely has a warranty. To me, the place I got it installed, Car Fancy Koramangla, their word is good enough. But good question. I will go ahead and try and find that answer. A better headlamp certainly makes a big difference in a dark night. I am hoping you would have taken care of getting a rely for the headlamps. My 5 K service is coming up this week. Would you please tell me if you thought of changing the engine oil at 5K? I am seeing the engine oil turn black. I am assuming that is normal but your input will be highly appreciated.

Hi Schoudhury - the pictures are coming up on Sunday afternoon. The seats, the tyres, the overall poise.

Some discussion on the 'dead pedal'. There is a place to the left of the clutch which is raised perhaps 1.5" than the rest of the floor. Call it dead pedal or not but there is something to rest the left foot on. When you take the left foot there... you know it’s there.

Also, just completed an airport run. As unique as it maybe there was reasonable fog across Bangalore city all through 4 AM onwards. The yellow lights (100/80 Osram) are better than similar wattage white lights. in my opinion the white lights don't penetrate the fog rather scatter through the the water droplets that make up the fog. My Corsa Sail has white 100/80 and I sensed the difference.
Old 9th December 2012, 15:29   #18
BHPian

Hello

So here are the pictures. I am not repeating what is already there in the official review but only taking some angles and the accessories.

The badge

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07824.jpg

The Key to the badge

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07814.jpg

The interiors (Karlsson)...notice the fit and finish

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07817.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07818.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07819.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07820.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07853.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07854.jpg

The door trim ... again Karlsson

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07821.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07835.jpg

The steering wheel was also done at Karlsson

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07832.jpg

Karlsson gives this nice badge

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07823.jpg

With high quality leather the need to keep it clean...so this was bought..Rs 150 only

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07851.jpg

A couple of shots of the 3M floor mats...I found them very effective, they don't allow for dust to get sucked into AC and look clean. It comes in a roll and they cut and fit to size.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07830.jpg
My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07831.jpg

A very thin film to protect shine was also put on the headlamps at 3M. A picture of that. Notice how the headlamp is shining and there is accumulated dust on the wheel arch

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07837.jpg

Another picture of the front. The headlamps and the light force.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07841.jpg

Lets move to the tyres - Yokohama 205/60 R - 15

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07838.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07839.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07840.jpg

And there is no buldge out...since the front has been turned for taking pictures, notice the rear tyre.

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07856.jpg

And the overall fitting in the arch and proportions

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07852.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07841.JPG
Views:	12842
Size:	554.3 KB
ID:	1024880
Rajain is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 18:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Karlsson leather fitting looks exceptional! Yes, my headlamps are fitted with relay. Your light force lamps look good, how's the intensity?

Don't worry much about the colour of the oil as the engine is bedding in and there will be some impurities. The oil change is only at 10k service. The 5k service is just an inspection service where fluid levels are checked and topped up along with a car wash. I didn't go for 5k service as I did the inspection myself. Now clocking @15000 kms, the engine is a lot more smoother with negligible turbo lag. This is what's got me amused! With more miles on the clock, the turbo lag seems to diminish!
Old 11th December 2012, 22:21   #20
BHPian

Congrats Rajain. I own a Vdi. I am curious about how much improvement the Dieseltronic box is giving for city drive i.e., at low speeds. Not that I find Ertiga bad in terms of drive-ability, but I feel turning on AC makes it a bit less responsive compared to without AC (unless already in turbo zone i.e., above 2000RPM). Also, is it a DIY job to connect and remove the box?
Old 13th December 2012, 11:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Congrats Rajain. I own a Vdi. I am curious about how much improvement the Dieseltronic box is giving for city drive i.e., at low speeds. Not that I find Ertiga bad in terms of drive-ability, but I feel turning on AC makes it a bit less responsive compared to without AC (unless already in turbo zone i.e., above 2000RPM). Also, is it a DIY job to connect and remove the box?
Hi Mohan41

The dieseltronic is very useful to say the least. Depending on the driving conditions one can choose from a variety what is optimum. Here are the options

Since the question came up on Dieseltronic here are the specs from the Race Dynamics website about the product. The choices can be made from the remote that is given with the product.

•P2 – Higher Power - Increase power and torque
off-peak up to 40% , peak up to 30%

•P1 - Power and increased mileage - Increase mileage up to 25%
Increase power and torque up to 15%
Shift gears early

•E – Economy map - Increase mileage up to 40%
Enhanced engine smoothness
Reduced turbo spike, more linear power delivery

•S – Stock map, - Works just like original

I did not do a DIY but the person at Car Fancy, Koramangla, BLR, where I bought it fixed it. Though ater the first time I felt its a 20 minute job to do it. I have actually never felt any load with AC or without AC. It just works very well irrespective of the rpm. It may well be the difference dieseltronic brings. The NM after dieseltronic should be 230 so it does make a difference.

Hope this is useful.
Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 14:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Every product out there in the market will have some benefits, which is why they sell and some limitations. I have a clear understanding of the RD box set up and its various modes but what I would like to know are the drawbacks. Searched on the net but was literally on a wild goose chase with no substantial posts that dealt with this tuning box's limitations.

I'm no techno geek but will this tuning box take its toll on the injector's life? If this tuning box does not alter the turbo boost pressure then presumably (correct me if I'm wrong here!) it increases the pressure on the injectors? How else can it generate more power and increase mileage at the same time in P1 mode?

I would be really grateful if Rajain or some long term user can give an idea of those shortcomings of this tuning box. If the positives outweigh the negatives (negligible ones), then I'm going for one of these little magic boxes! :-)

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 13th December 2012 at 14:34.
Old 18th December 2012, 18:57   #23
BHPian

Hi Rajain,

Very nice review and information! Exactly the kinda stuff I was looking out for.

I am getting my Petrol Ertiga (VXi with ABS) this weekend, so wanted to know whether there is any product for the NM-enhancement like Dieseltronic equivalent for Petrol cars as well? Is this necessary?

Any other info regarding the Petrol Ertiga (in case you have any) would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vikram
Old 19th December 2012, 09:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Every product out there in the market will have some benefits, which is why they sell and some limitations. I have a clear understanding of the RD box set up and its various modes but what I would like to know are the drawbacks. Searched on the net but was literally on a wild goose chase with no substantial posts that dealt with this tuning box's limitations.

I'm no techno geek but will this tuning box take its toll on the injector's life? If this tuning box does not alter the turbo boost pressure then presumably (correct me if I'm wrong here!) it increases the pressure on the injectors? How else can it generate more power and increase mileage at the same time in P1 mode?

I would be really grateful if Rajain or some long term user can give an idea of those shortcomings of this tuning box. If the positives outweigh the negatives (negligible ones), then I'm going for one of these little magic boxes! :-)
Hello

Over the weekend I was at a very interesting place where a large company that makes turbos had put up a stall. The person manning the stall was the lead engineer who designs the turbos and was one informed person about engines. More than 20 years into this. Additionally, there was also a display vehicle (at the neighboring stall) and naturally the conversation shifted to engine capabilities.

I got him talking and asked about tuning boxes. This is what he had to say. All engines are designed to perform optimal for the power/economy/emissions/safety. It is entirely possible that any tweaking to a manufacturer's OEM setting will put some additional pressure on some part of the engine. This could be the amount of air going in or fuel going in or any increase in the general operating environment of the way the engine is set up. He said almost all engines can take a little extra tweaking but at the cost of something. So if fuel is burnt less it is at the cost of something or if extra fuel is injected then it is at the cost of something else...for instance most likely additional emission. I asked him ultimately what does it mean for the life of engine and he said all diesel engines are built to withstand a minor change in their setting (often due to fuel quality) but there will be some slight change. He asked me what the max non-stop I have driven with dieseltronic. I said Kanchipuram to Bangalore - roughly 4.15 hrs and I think it is 280 or thereabouts kms. I have also used it under some challenging conditions climbing up from Mudumali to Ooty with AC and 4 people. It was his belief that the engine really won't have had any issue though he said it with a disclaimer that without having seen the engine mapping and done a few tests on parts in a 'before after' state he can't say with total assurance.

I will say the air filter may need quicker cleaning cycles but overall it does not appear to me, after a use of 5,400 kms (maybe too less) that there is any downside to using it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 14:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rajain, wonderful write-up & thanks for complimenting this thread with pictures, though at a later stage. You have quite pampered your Ertiga, beautiful leather upholstery, terrific music system (would love to see pictures), floor mats & what not, but I think all this is worth the money & shows you love for your Ertiga.

Do keep this thread revving & adding a lots of pictures. Wishing you many happy (s)miles with your Ertiga.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:38   #26
BHPian

Hi

As life sails on, so does the UV. A few hundred more miles now. Closing on 6K.

AutoIndian - Thank you for the compliments. Really appreciate.

Vikram4U - Thank you. No you don't need a performance enhancement for petrol engine. Yes I have driven a petrol Ertiga. It is rev happy and peppy both within the city and on a highway. I have not driven a petrol one at more than 100 kmph but at lower speeds it was very smooth. Enjoy your drive. Its a lovely spacious vehicle and comes with Maruti service relaibility.

On the positive side - The Ertiga has gone through its 5K or 6 month check up...nothing at all to report. It was smooth, on time and quickly done past. The engine oil has darkened and I did ask if they want to change the oil. I was informed that I have to wait till 10K for an oil change. Several cross city drives and I am now nearing 6K. The average is consistent at 17 within the city measured by tankful to tankful method. One foggy morning drive to the BIAL airport was unique. The vehicle to totally drenched. The suspension is now much settled, the ride quality as good as Opel and the engine nicely settled in.

I also ended up getting Maruti alloy wheels. Imagine the waiting period of alloy wheels - 4 months after the vehicle (a ZDI) was delivered. And the waiting period of the vehicle itself was 4-5 months. They look nice and the 205/60 R -15 Yokohama fit really nicely.

On the negative side - As some of you know I drive cross states extensively and often staying at highway side hotels. I thought an added protection will be the gear lock. I had one in my wife's Santro and I can say it was really good, not easily visible from outside, strong and very smooth to use. I could leave the Santro in 4th gear and with gear lock the vehicle would just not move. After all thats what a gear lock is meant for...to lock the gear and prevent a thief from driving it away.

In the Ertiga MGA brochure a gear lock is listed as a accessory and I ordered for one. The waiting for that is also a couple of months. Guess what after struggling with trying to instal the gear lock I was informed that I need to go to another place (from Outer Ring Road Pratham to HSR Layout, Bangalore) to get it installed. Ok, no problem, small price to pay for something as good as a gear lock I thought. The HSR layout folks did instal it but now guess what (hold your chair armrest firmly) the vehicle can be slotted in any gear you want even after the gear lock is locked! So whats the point of having a lock that is as good as not. Everyone at Pratham Motors is now trying to figure out how an approved accessory has come when it is so ineffective. Plus they have drilled holes through a side wall between the driver foot side and the gear lever. I am now considering having them reverse all of this and claim a full refund. My overall experience with MGA has left much to be desired. One of the door sills came off one day, the front and the rear bumper corner protection were mixed up and now the gear lock which even after being in locked condition alows for all the gear changes!! So, my recommendation to any potential Ertiga owners planning to get a gear lock - please don't buy it. It is a waste of money...plain useless!

The second not so positive thing. The 3M engine protection has started to peel off and make a couple of parts greasy, and therefore attract dust. I thought the part had a oil drop when I check the engine essentials every alternate morning but that is not the case. Even Maruti folks, in the second service, have confirmed that its a 3M product problem. This was also done at 3M workshop in HSR layout. I have made a complaint to 3M. No response from them after 3-4 follow ups. Today I had to remind them of what customer care should be. And so a short while ago the franchisee owner called me and said they will reverse the whole thing and give a refund. While I think those who did the work at the HSR shop are fine from a workmanship perspective, but I am beginning to question the product per se. Maybe 3M has not tested the product at varying temperatures and on variety of surfaces inside an engine...even though these products are rather exclusive and coming from 3M, I assume, high quality.

As life sails on, a long drive is coming up in 10 days time. Thats Bangalore-Pune-Bombay-Baroda-Ahemdabad-Bombay-Shirdi-Pune-Bangalore. That will be 4 adults plus usual travel bags, camera, mobile toilet unit (that folding tent), sleeping mattress (will flatten 60:40 seat to make 1 bed), small supplies of food, water and some essential tools.

Stay tuned.
Rajain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the useful update! I'm really looking forward to your travelogue after that long trip you've planned. Keep me posted with loads of pics and the performance of Ertiga!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Rajain, I know its a bit late but came across your update on the RD. Good to see an Ertiga with a tuning box. I have one in the Manza since around 6k kms as well and no issues as of now. The only thing I noticed is that the engine warms up pretty quick from a cold start. Planning to go for Tune-O-Tronics remap, lets see how it spans out.
Old 4th January 2013, 12:03   #29
BHPian

Hi Motomaverick
Thank you. I have gone past the second service and the engine is nicely settling down.
I am informed that the RD box takes time to adapt to a certain driving style. Once it is properly run in then it stays that way. I coild be wrong but that is the way i understood what was explained to me.

Worth seeing how the box behaves over a longer period of time.

I'll be curious to hear how the remap works. Do write a review of it.

Turns out I am having the gear lock fixed. I made some noise with Maruti who have sent the vendor over to check it out. I also have their assurance that if it can't be fixed properly and does not serve the purpose it will be returned with full refund.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 13:37   #30
BHPian

Hi

Couple of updates -

In earlier posts I had mentioned that the MGA gear lock is useless and I have made some noise with Maruti. Well turns out that the vendor which has supplied this to Maruti paid a visit and fixed it after struggling for about 3 hours. I will say it works like a dream now. Smooth, holds the gear, cannot be easily tampered with and remains hidden. I would now approve the product. Some time spent in trying to get the right fitment but given that it is a very useful thing I am pardoning the dealer for the time I had to waste before it could get fixed properly. I suspect the culprit in all of this is the fact that in Bangalore this is not really a high selling accessory and perhaps the dealer had never fixed even one gear lock. In the end a good story, Pratham Motors, Bangalore able to solve a matter to the liking of the end user.

Second update, also a positive one, 3M engine protection which had peeled off in some places, attracted dust in some others has been cleaned up by 3M and a full refund given with unconditional apology given by the franchisee owner (3M store at HSR Layout, Bangalore). This was the part I felt very good about. There can be problems with some products I think full marks need to be given when it is fixed or a full refund given out when it can't be fixed. Something to be said about customer friendliness.

My long trip through KA, MH and GJ has been postponed by 2 weeks and we now intend to go in the last week of Jan first week of Feb.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks