Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2013, 12:54   #121
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 17,000 kms & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
Congratulations Rajain on completing a happy year with this great car. Your thread helped a lot in decision making. I am just About to Finish a month with my Silver Ertiga ZDi. I agree completely with your views.
Thank you. I did evaluate a few somewhat similar vehicles and could have potentially stretched my budget. In the final analysis I realised Ertiga had more marks than other vehicles. Its a well finished product, reliable, engaging to drive and frugal.

Quote:
Can you share the audio modifications mainly the model numbers and price of speakers , head unit, co axial etc. .
I am afraid much as I am trying I am not getting the model number of the audio. Here is the set up.

HU - OEM
Front - JBL Component
Rear - JBL - co-ox
Tweeters - JBL
Amp - JBL 4 channel (below the front left seat)
Damping - Dynamat
Wiring - Scosche

The JBL came from the dealer. Its via MGA. They spent the day and set it up. Install was ok - at least no cutting, no wiring left, generally clean vehicle. The piece they don't know is how to tune an amp. Plus MGA has never heard of sound damping material. They don't do it. Overall I was not satisfied with the sound I was getting when I drove out of Maruti. Car Fancy, Koramangla, Bangalore has been the place I have visited over the last several years. He is a master at making sure one gets the best sound. I went to him a day later with a few hours to spare. We sat in various places within the car, played a variety of music and finally came up with the best balance of sound that made me smile. We also added sound damping. It was a world of difference.

Quote:
Considering dieseltronic upgrade seriously, what is your experience with different setting modes in terms of fuel efficiency?
Elsewhere in this forum there is a full debate on tuning boxes. Race Dynamics is also a member here. I would say I am pleased with the product. Having used it for 1 year now. The different setting modes are actually very useful and I quite like it. Though 95% of the times I am on P1 setting. Fuel efficiency varies from E mode to P2 mode. Bear in mind installing this does void warrenty.

Quote:
I will be in Bangalore in mid October, will you be able to guide me regarding the sump guard modification as where can I get it done. The shop location and contact details would be more than sufficient.

Wishing you many more happy miles with your beautiful beast. ..
I can absolutely guide you to the shop that helped me get the sump guard. It was a custom built piece. The person is Ranjit. His place is Ranjit Auto Care. The address is 147-F 8th Main Road, Koramangala 3rd Block, Bangalore- 560034, Karnataka. This is being "Thoughworks". He took 2 days for the custom built. So if you don't have the 2 days with you then feel free to let me know I can drive my vehicle over and he can take the measurements (if that helps)

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 12:36   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi Rajain,

You have one of the best reveiws and I wait for your updates.
Thank you. Appreciate your kind words.

Quote:
Congrats on completing 1 year with your LUV and also maintaining it so well. I have planned to buy the Ertiga too and will be placing my booking on coming Wednesday and hopefully it will be home before the end of this month. I am looking to book the ZDI probably in White or Dusky brown though colour not yet decided as I am afraid of the Dusky brown being more prone to scratches that would be really visible.
Yes the one year with the vehicle just passed. Not a whole lot of driving. 17k is not such a whole lot. Its been usual long trip once ins 3-4 months and the daily office commute besides weekend errand trips. A fair bit of airport runs as well. When I had booked they used to book with/without alloy wheels. Dusky brown looks nice. It looks really good on Duster. But it does show lot of dirt/scratches. I do hear that the waiting period has come down now. The sales are approx 4500 units per month. I must say I have been impressed with the vehicle.

Quote:
As far as I know, RD box is available in two versions at the moment - normal dieseltronic and also another improved dual channel box. I am not sure if the newer version is available for ertiga.
The RD box comes for Ertiga/SX4 is the same. It is mentioned on the box and I have enjoyed it. Must mention it does void the warrenty but I never redline the vehicle. I don't know if the dual channel box comes for Ertiga.

Quote:
I would also be interested in the sump gaurd that you have installed. Can you please let me know the dimensions so that I can get that done here in Mumbai.
I am afraid I did not keep the measurements. Another Bhpian is coming to Bangalore and maybe that provides us an opportunity to get the measurements again. Also, I suspect its not just the measurements but the way the installer would like to fix it. A third factor could be the thickness of the material used. Personally, I found aluminium to be very good. Thin, light and sturdy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 10th September 2013, 12:39   #123
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, who is coming over to Bangalore to get this done. What was the price that you paid to get the guard fabricated.

Regards
Kailash
Old 10th September 2013, 14:35   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, who is coming over to Bangalore to get this done. What was the price that you paid to get the guard fabricated.

Regards
Kailash
Hi

Further up on this thread "drkritik" is scheduled to drive from Hyderabad (probably on other business) and was asking me the coordinates for getting sump guard work done as well.

The price I paid was 6.5 - 7k. Don't remember the exact amount but I do have the invoice. If you want I can check and confirm. I have also written the address of the place. Ranjith (the owner of the workshop) would more than likely remember that he had fabricated a sump guard for me.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 10th September 2013, 17:35   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post

I can absolutely guide you to the shop that helped me get the sump guard. It was a custom built piece. The person is Ranjit. His place is Ranjit Auto Care. The address is 147-F 8th Main Road, Koramangala 3rd Block, Bangalore- 560034, Karnataka. This is being "Thoughworks". He took 2 days for the custom built. So if you don't have the 2 days with you then feel free to let me know I can drive my vehicle over and he can take the measurements (if that helps)

Cheers
Rajain
My heartfelt thanks to your kind gesture.
I will definitely get in touch with you before coming.
Will be there for a day or so, I am afraid we will have to take measurements from your car. Anyway I will confirm before coming.

Did you buy any adapter to connect OEM HU to Amp ?
My mechanic is asking me to buy an adapter as it doesn't have a pre outs.
Any info would be valuable.
I would like to retain oem hu as it gives a more uniform look to the dash.
Old 10th September 2013, 20:21   #126
BHPian

Quote:
My heartfelt thanks to your kind gesture.
I will definitely get in touch with you before coming.
Will be there for a day or so, I am afraid we will have to take measurements from your car. Anyway I will confirm before coming.

Did you buy any adapter to connect OEM HU to Amp ?
My mechanic is asking me to buy an adapter as it doesn't have a pre outs.
Any info would be valuable.
I would like to retain oem hu as it gives a more uniform look to the dash.
Hi

In my previous post please read "it is behind Thoughtworks"

Measurements is not a problem. I can certainly go and give from my vehicle.
I suspect there maybe more work needed - like some work for the bolts. This may just take more time. But I can check for you.

Yes I did buy an adapter to connect the OEM HU to the amp. The MGA guys had it and informed me that it would be needed. When you are in Bangalore I can refer you to a couple of places - or even Pratham Motors who will do this. Yes I retained the OEM HU for the uniform look as well as integration with steering mounted controls. Several after market HUs don't connect with steering mounted controls. To me the quality of the sound is very important. I play at volume 1 or 2 and almost never go above 5. Equally important is space. So even though I do have a custom box subwoofer I decided not to move it to the Ertiga. JBL comp, co-ox and a 4 channel amp get me really good sound.

Also, sound deadening makes a difference. As far as possible please have that too.

PM me the details of your coming to Bangalore. Happy to help in whatever way I can.

Cheers
Rajain

Last edited by Rajain : 10th September 2013 at 20:25.
Old 14th September 2013, 14:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share the audio modifications mainly the model numbers and price of speakers , head unit, co axial etc. .
Hi

Here is the detail of the car's music system set up

Head Unit - OEM

Speakers -

Front - JBL GTO 606C - 6 1/2" 2 way component. Peak power handling 360W
Rear - JBL GT6-4366 - 6 1/2" 3 way Co-axials. Peak power handling 260W
Tweeters - probably JBL - but I could not find the model.

Amplifier - JBL - GT-X646 - 4 channel amp. RMS 70 W 4x4 ohms. 800 W max peak power handling

Wiring - Scosche

Damping - Dynamat

There is also a splitter since the OEM needed it. The amp is below the front left seat. The footmat for the left middle seat covers it 1/4 just enough that the shoes/dust from shoes do not harm the amp.

My apologies, no pictures. This was done an year ago at the time of the vehicle delivery. My other car, Opel Corsa Sail, has a 9 speaker set up. All carefully selected with right positioning, placement and materials. I was in 2 minds weather I move that set up to Eritiga but I was clear I did not want to use up boot space (for sub) or do any cutting. I simply relied on JBL and I must say that the JBL set up in Ertiga is simply 'wow'. Its amazing sound at low volume, great clarity and balance.

As I have written previously, the install experience at Maruti was not the best. They are able to only install it but not tune it. Also, they have no idea of sound damping. Thankfully, the speakers settled properly in the doors with no cutting. For tuning the amp and getting the sound I would love to hear - I took the vehicle to Car Fancy, Koramangla, where Mudasir and his brother spent a couple of hours on multiple sound tracks/music type/checked by sitting in different seats of the car to get me what I was looking for. Great job by them.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 26th September 2013, 12:28   #128
BHPian

Is there a difference between the coating at 3M & the coating that the dealer gives which they say is also from 3M (either underbody or paint protection)?
My SA has offered either paint protection or underbody coating for free. I'm not sure which one to take from Maruti & which one to get from 3M. Also whether these 2 types of coatings are needed.
Old 26th September 2013, 13:56   #129
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 5000 kms & counting

Quote:
Hi

Congratulations on your new vehicle. You will enjoy driving and owning it.

I have 2 types of mats in my vehicle - 3M which are on all seats. Very good product, the best part is dust/sand particles are not visible and most probably are not sucked in by the AC.

The other big mat I have is the scorpio rear mat which is an exact fit - once the last seat is flattened out. I will pm you the place I got it from...but overall several places have a scorpio mat.

Cheers

Rajain
How do you find the 3M nomad mats in comparison to the 3D Maxpider (Kagu) mats which are more expensive?
Also, I found the MGA mats to be quite worthless so I decided not to take them during delivery of the car - since they come in a set, I wont get the boot mat either. However, I will still need a mat for the boot (with seats folded, so not the Scorpio mat). Do you know if 3M can fit just the boot mats while I go for 3D foot mats?
How much did the Scorpio mats cost you & did you buy directly from Mahindra?
Old 26th September 2013, 19:51   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
Is there a difference between the coating at 3M & the coating that the dealer gives which they say is also from 3M (either underbody or paint protection)?
My SA has offered either paint protection or underbody coating for free. I'm not sure which one to take from Maruti & which one to get from 3M. Also whether these 2 types of coatings are needed.
Hi Csanand

I would imagine that the 3M work done both at the dealer and at 3M store is the same. I think 3M worked out a deal with Maruti dealerships (and other automobile manufacturers).

If you have a choice of going either for paint protection or underbody coating then I would say go for underbody coating. Given the amount of rains our country gets underbody protection makes a lot of sense. As fas as paint protection goes it does make sense to get it done once a year. In my case I got both of these done at 3M store in HSR Layout, Bangalore.

Cheers
Rajain

Last edited by Rajain : 26th September 2013 at 20:00.
Old 26th September 2013, 19:59   #131
BHPian

Quote:
How do you find the 3M nomad mats in comparison to the 3D Maxpider (Kagu) mats which are more expensive?
Hi Csanad

I find the 3D Kagu mats very neat. The color also would suit the interiors. The reason I went for 3M mats is that invariably some dust gathers from the shoes to the mat. 3M mats make sure that dust is not sucked up. In fact it rests at the bottom of the mat and its not visible either.

Quote:
Also, I found the MGA mats to be quite worthless so I decided not to take them during delivery of the car - since they come in a set, I wont get the boot mat either. However, I will still need a mat for the boot (with seats folded, so not the Scorpio mat). Do you know if 3M can fit just the boot mats while I go for 3D foot mats?
How much did the Scorpio mats cost you & did you buy directly from Mahindra?
I could not agree more. I found the MGA rubber mats to be totally useless and tacky. I did not buy them and in fact asked them to cut that out from the price also. The 3M mats are actually cut to size - bespoke. They will make sure edge to edge it covers. I forget the price of the Scorpio mat but I think it was below 2000. The advantage of the Scorpio mat is that suit cases and bags sit on it easily. 3M is not so lagguage friendly. It is more for dust and shoe sole friendly.

Mods - I tried to merge 2 posts - could not - can you please assist
Cheers

Last edited by Rajain : 26th September 2013 at 20:02.
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 12:24   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Csanad

I find the 3D Kagu mats very neat. The color also would suit the interiors. The reason I went for 3M mats is that invariably some dust gathers from the shoes to the mat. 3M mats make sure that dust is not sucked up. In fact it rests at the bottom of the mat and its not visible either.

I could not agree more. I found the MGA rubber mats to be totally useless and tacky. I did not buy them and in fact asked them to cut that out from the price also. The 3M mats are actually cut to size - bespoke. They will make sure edge to edge it covers. I forget the price of the Scorpio mat but I think it was below 2000. The advantage of the Scorpio mat is that suit cases and bags sit on it easily. 3M is not so lagguage friendly. It is more for dust and shoe sole friendly.

Mods - I tried to merge 2 posts - could not - can you please assist
Cheers
Thanks for the helpful reply. When I take delivery, I'll also cut out the MGA mats. Made up my mind to get the 3M mats based on your comments & another excellent review I found here.

With the 3rd row up, are mats needed for the small boot? All pictures I've seen on Team BHP dont seem to have any mat for the small boot.

Also, with the 3rd row folded down, which I may do only occasionally, would the seats/seat cover get spoilt by putting luggage on them without use of a mat such as Scorpio mat? Scorpio mat may not make sense for me as I may only occasionally fold down 3rd row for luggage (not sure yet though).

Regarding coating, I read here that the new Ertiga (maybe other cars too) come with the manufacturer's coating for underbody so it makes sense to go for underbody coating after say 1 yr. As a freebie, body coating is worth more than the underbody as per 3M's prices, but it is vice versa as per Maruti!
Old 27th September 2013, 18:45   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful reply. When I take delivery, I'll also cut out the MGA mats. Made up my mind to get the 3M mats based on your comments & another excellent review I found here.

With the 3rd row up, are mats needed for the small boot? All pictures I've seen on Team BHP dont seem to have any mat for the small boot.

Also, with the 3rd row folded down, which I may do only occasionally, would the seats/seat cover get spoilt by putting luggage on them without use of a mat such as Scorpio mat? Scorpio mat may not make sense for me as I may only occasionally fold down 3rd row for luggage (not sure yet though).

Regarding coating, I read here that the new Ertiga (maybe other cars too) come with the manufacturer's coating for underbody so it makes sense to go for underbody coating after say 1 yr. As a freebie, body coating is worth more than the underbody as per 3M's prices, but it is vice versa as per Maruti!
Hi

The Scorpio mat is good only when the last seat is folded down - all (or most of the times). It does not make sense if the last seat is being used or at least not folded majority of the times. If it is not folded then the small baggage area probably does not need any mat. If at all you feel it does - maybe 2 door mats or something similar. Putting bags that have been kept on a road/street/airport floor/railway station platform etc would more than likely dirty a seat - which would need to be cleaned as and when it happens.

I would concur - a paint protection as a freebie is good. Though i would personally prefer the underbody treatment over the paint protection. Or maybe before the onset of the next monsoon this can be done.

Cheers
Old 29th September 2013, 23:22   #134
BHPian

Short Trip Report – Bangalore-Pune-Shirdi-Pune-Bangalore

Back from a 2734 kms drive. We had some personal work in Pune and of course the transportation of choice – Ertiga!

While in Pune a day was also set aside for Shirdi for a day. All in all 5 days in Pune/Shirdi. In the process the Ertiga crossed 21,000 kms mark as well.

Bangalore-Pune - We have done this route multiple times before. A rather relaxed start by 9.30 AM meant we were not going to enter Pune before 9 PM. That too on the ‘visarjan’ day. After a brief stop at the Cafe Coffee Day just after Tumkur we did not stop until Kohlapur McDonald. Just a couple of 2 minute bio breaks and one for fuel at the COCO between Dharwad and Hubli. We were making good time when we stopped at Kohlapur at 6 PM. But after we started from there it was pouring – huge cats and big dobbermans all the way till home in Pune. So we took an hour longer. Overall – highway till Kohlapur allows one to maintain steady high speed but after Kohlapur all the way till Pune – at least 3-4 bridges that have a diversion and quite a few potholes – which on a rainy night needed far more attention to spot. In a previous visit I had once damaged my Opel Corsa rim and got a flat. That was also a rainy night. Imagine, after paying tolls one would expect pothole free roads that too on a section of the GQ but well not to be.

Pune-Shirdi-Pune - We spent the next few days in Pune. We had kept a day to go to Shirdi. Again a relaxed start from a friends place on Wagholi on the Nagar Road after 10 AM we made quick progress. The road till 25 kms before Shirdi is all 4 lane. The last 25 kms have huge craters and that meant 1 hour to cover 25 kms. Several stones projected from the wheels hit underbody. Thankfully I have a sump guard. The 'darshan' was a routine 1.5 hr bit. Perhaps a Sunday or Thursday would have meant far more time.

Pune-Bangalore - After spending 5 days in Pune we headed back to Bangalore. This was a more regular start at 7.30 AM. Spent an hour getting out of Pune to the GQ. A brief stop 10 minute stop at McDonald just outside Pune and we were off again. This McDonald stop also has a COCO. Then just a couple of 2 minute breaks and one at the same COCO bunk between Hubli and Dharward and we made it to NICE road by 8 PM and home by 8.45 PM.

All in all a total of 2734 kms, through tankful to tankful method the journey consumed 146.8 ltrs of diesel and returning 18.62 kmpl which is pretty decent considering a couple of ghat sections and very windy conditions would have impacted the wind resistance given that I have a Thule roof top box. And of course the fact that on the GQ I maintained 105-110 or sometimes 120 kmph. All the times the AC was on.

I decided against the usual highway pictures. There are loads on this forum and even from my previous TLs. So I am just uploading a few pictures. The colour green has a different meaning in this season.

The vehicle crossing 21,000 and the journey odo

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-20130928_175651-1024x768.jpg

The windmills

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc00897-1024x768.jpg

A beautiful lake just outside Pune

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc00946-1024x768.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc00967-1024x768.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01005-1024x768.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01036-1024x768.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01031-1024x768.jpg

On the way to Shirdi - I think it was called Smile Stone

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc00894-1024x768.jpg

Usual flowers and plantation

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01010-1024x768.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01027-1024x768.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01028-1024x768.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01022-1024x768.jpg

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01009-1024x768.jpg

A small waterfall near a friend's house outside Pune

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01046-1024x768.jpg

And the sky
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc01043-1024x768.jpg  

Last edited by Rajain : 29th September 2013 at 23:24.
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 06:46   #135
Senior - BHPian

Good report Rajain. I have recently travelled on this NH4 till Pune and yes after Kohlapur the road does detoriates but I think its the those few kilometers before and after Satara. By the way If we are to go to Shirdi then early morning start should ensure we reach Shirdi max to max 10pm?

Most Viewed