Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 13:59   #46
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 5000 kms & counting

Congratulations AGP . Happy LUVing!
Old 7th February 2013, 08:25   #47
BHPian

So as life sails on we came back after almost 3800 kms of a trip through KA, MH, GJ and RJ. While I amd still working on the travelogue a few quick points -

a) Outstanding highway behaviour

b) Great straight line stability

c) Cornering is very good. I actually have a Thule roof top box so I go a shade slower into a curve

d) Several ghats were put behind in 3rd gear. I did not change the settings of the RD box. It stayed in P1.

e) Keep the vehicle above 2000 rpm and it kind of rewards you with performance.

f) Press the accelerator even at 100 and feel the surge or power coming in for that quick overtake.

g) The 3rd service and complete interior clearning done at Pratham upon return. Very good job. Vehicle returned in brand new sparkling condition.

h) Considering the total distance done in the last few days this was needed. Had it not been the service call I would have anyway given it a nice wash and cleaned up the interiors.

g) I was getting minor clatter/rattle from inside the cabin. The seats not being totally settled given that I do move them back and forth to create seating and sleeping (by flattening out middle and last row) options was found to be the culprit.

Full marks to Maruti for a great product, cheap to run, maintain and be comfortable in. Attaching a picture of what it looks now with the Thule roof top box.
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07876.jpg  

My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-dsc07878.jpg  

Rajain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 16:12   #48
BHPian

Thanks for the insights Rajain! Eagerly awaiting your Travelogue/pics!

Also, Wanted to know how satisfied you are with the ThuleBox? Is it sufficent for a family of 2 couples(Gujju couples at that )

Have almost decided an imported ALL aluminium Roof carrier for arnd 5k for my current trip, while I get the Coimbatore based Rouf Rails to transport theirs to Mumbai!
parassoni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 19:29   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
So as life sails on we came back after almost 3800 kms of a trip through KA, MH, GJ and RJ. While I amd still working on the travelogue a few quick points -

...Attaching a picture of what it looks now with the Thule roof top box.
4000 kms single trip!! Man, Looks like you are having a great time!

Quote:
...Attaching a picture of what it looks now with the Thule roof top box.
Please do put some pics for this alone! How stuffs are arranged inside & how does this open / close etc!
Old 7th February 2013, 20:24   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post
Thanks for the insights Rajain! Eagerly awaiting your Travelogue/pics!

Also, Wanted to know how satisfied you are with the ThuleBox? Is it sufficent for a family of 2 couples(Gujju couples at that )

Have almost decided an imported ALL aluminium Roof carrier for arnd 5k for my current trip, while I get the Coimbatore based Rouf Rails to transport theirs to Mumbai!

Hi Parassoni

It will be a few days before the travelogue is in a presentable form and then I can update on a on going basis.. I am still getting past pending work at office. But yes I am working on it. I can certainly say it was one trip with a difference.

The Thule Box has been with me for the last several years. Earlier I had it on my Opel Corsa Sail for 5-6 years and after buying the Ertiga I moved it over. The model I have is Thule Ocean 200 which is probably discontinued now. The present range is listed at http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...Carriers/Boxes. Oh yes, it is not just sufficient for a family of 2 but I would say good for 4. To give you a size compairison - the link to the following Samsonite suitcase http://www.samsoniteindia.com/produc...cosmolite.html; size spinner 68 and have 3 of them. That is the size of the Thule Ocean 200. I think 480 ltrs. Lockable, lightweight (9 kgs), waterproof, dustproof, safe and secure. Bangalore has a Thule authorised dealer, Methods Automotive. I weighed the pros and cons of open roof carrier vs closed and felt closed was the one I wanted. Did some research and bought it.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 21:18   #51
BHPian

Wow! thanks Rajain, thats Real Insight, T-BHP Style!!! I'm still thinking of the Roof Rails as my Brother doesnt quite fancy the Thule, and I agree tht it'll impact the aero dynamics(plus looks impact, but that is Really Subjective).

i dislike the All aluminium Carriers, which is why I was all for Thule box, till is saw the one below! Roof Rails I think i'll eventually go for look like this--->
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-ertiga_carrier.jpg  

Old 16th February 2013, 11:10   #52
BHPian

Hi Parassoni
The roof rails look interesting. Very interesting indeed. I appreciate you putting up a picture of this. Just wondering how is the use designed? I mean how would a soft bag or even a hard suitcase be tied to this? Where are the ropes that hold the bag tied? And since it appears from the picture that the bags are likely to be placed on the roof and tied to the rails what about the sratches on the roof? A carrier like aluminium or Thule have a floor. Finally, how is the clamping of the rouf rails?
I appreciate your perspective on how rouf rails are designed to be used.
Thank you
Old 16th February 2013, 17:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parassoni
The roof rails look interesting. Very interesting indeed. I appreciate you putting up a picture of this. Just wondering how is the use designed? I mean how would a soft bag or even a hard suitcase be tied to this? Where are the ropes that hold the bag tied? And since it appears from the picture that the bags are likely to be placed on the roof and tied to the rails what about the sratches on the roof? A carrier like aluminium or Thule have a floor. Finally, how is the clamping of the rouf rails?
I appreciate your perspective on how rouf rails are designed to be used.
Thank you
thanks Rajain, I too had the same questions! Some of them were answered when I saw live installations on models like Innova, Tavera, Xylo & Fortuner on their Website:

http://www.roufrails.com/

Also, few other points after personal discussion with Owner(in broken english) & Inferences from viewing their website pics:
1. Normal Clamping procedure based fitting as is the case for Thule box/Normal roof carrier (ABSOLUTELY NO DRILLING-ZERO WARRANTY IMPACT!)
2. There are atleast 3-4 bottom support rails on which luggage/bags will lie(as in normal overhead roof carriers and thats where the ropes & hooks need to be tied to!
3. This also means, that luggage will not be placed on the roof , hence no question of bending scratches!
4. in terms of where the clamps are, there is one set of clamps in the middle of rear door, I'm not too sure abt the 2nd set of clamps but am guessing they should be at the rear door!

Hope this helps! Please let me know what else I should be looking out for! As this looks like a niche product, I've already gone for an aftermarket normal roof carrier till i finalize thjis one for my last trip(just Rs. 3.5k)!

Last edited by parassoni : 16th February 2013 at 17:49. Reason: CONTENT MISSING
parassoni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 18:56   #54
Team-BHP Support

So, you are almost living in it and also forcing your family !
Great vehicle and great ownership.

A generic question on RD. Once you fix, how do you handle Maruti service?
How does manufacture warranty goes with it?

Drive safe and many many more miles!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 23:38   #55
BHPian

Hi Parassoni

From what you explain and from the pictures I can certainly say it looks good and feels great. Since its not touching the roof you should feel good from the fact that the roof won't have scratches. I would suggest not putting soft bags on it though. Some parts may touch the roof.

Once you do put a couple of bags do click pictures and post them up. The tying to the roof and being able to have ropes do their job is good. Once in a while I find myself at places where I have to be conscious of height clearance. So this product is good in that aspect.

The advantage though that Thule gives is that it is lockable and therefore dustproof, waterproof and secure. Arriving at some station after a full day drive I don't have to unfasten all things rather just lock Thule and check into a hotel and rest easy.

I will acknowledge that this product is new, niche and actually helps the height clearance. I am also assuming wind resistance is minimal with bags tied up there.

Please do find time, tie up a couple of bags, click picture and upload.

Thanks much

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 09:49   #56
AGP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Congratulations on taking the delivery of your Ertiga. Wishing you many happy (s)miles with it.

Don't worry much. The most important part is the engine & chasis. If their date of manufacturing is confirmed to be Jan 2013, then the whole car can be assembled in Jan 2013 or after that. Yes some parts could be from the end of 2012. It could happen that all the parts in a car are not not manufactured at the same time. For some parts they have to build up some inventory (for whatever reasons). So probably the window glass (only) could be from an older lot. But that's it. So stop worrying & enjoy your car. Most importantly please don't forget to start your ownership thread.
Hi AutoIndian,

I have started my Ownership thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html

Kindly have a look at it and waiting for your comments.

Thanks,
AGP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 09:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
Hi AutoIndian,

I have started my Ownership thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html

Kindly have a look at it and waiting for your comments.

Thanks,
Thanks AGP for starting your ownership thread & posting the link over here, appreciate it. Now this is one thread I am completely going to be hooked to as I am keenly looking forward to the Ertiga Petrol as my next car & the prospects of running it on CNG. So do keep us posted.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 14:52   #58
BHPian

AutoIndian, I would be following that seriously as well, Coz There isnt really Any OTHER car that gives you that kind of choices at the given price points!! Only one that might come close is the Chevy Spin(When it does get launched)

Also, MSIL have been tigh-lipped about a factory fitted e-CNG Version, which would infact have a Humongous MARKET! wouldnt be surprised for a MID/END-YEAR OEM Launch! (Keep following Grapevine Buzzz)
Old 20th February 2013, 14:55   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parassoni

From what you explain and from the pictures I can certainly say it looks good and feels great. Since its not touching the roof you should feel good from the fact that the roof won't have scratches. I would suggest not putting soft bags on it though. Some parts may touch the roof.

Once you do put a couple of bags do click pictures and post them up. The tying to the roof and being able to have ropes do their job is good. Once in a while I find myself at places where I have to be conscious of height clearance. So this product is good in that aspect.

The advantage though that Thule gives is that it is lockable and therefore dustproof, waterproof and secure. Arriving at some station after a full day drive I don't have to unfasten all things rather just lock Thule and check into a hotel and rest easy.

I will acknowledge that this product is new, niche and actually helps the height clearance. I am also assuming wind resistance is minimal with bags tied up there.

Please do find time, tie up a couple of bags, click picture and upload.

Thanks much

Cheers
Hi Rajain, The dealer(his translator) hasnt been answering my calls, So No further updates on that front! My after market Roof Carrier(Plain All SS/Aluminium) has served me well for the Current short Trip!

Will keep all posted pnce I hear from them! Their Website too doesn't show pics of Ertiga!
Old 21st February 2013, 08:11   #60
BHPian

Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. Edit - Now 11,000 kms & counting

Hi AGP Congratulations. I have driven a petrol Ertiga and find its engine smooth and refined. Its rev happy and has checked all the right boxes. I appreciate the write up and review. I will follow your thread and look forward to more pictures and more updates.

Hi Parassoni - The roufrails is looking very unique. The more I think of it the more I feel this product will have more takers. The main advantage I see is the height. As I said entering basements I have to be careful of height for my Thule. I have certainly given a thought to disengaging the Thule and keeping it away since it can be dismounted easily (15 seconds is all it takes) but then within my apartment I could not find space to park it.

Hi Swiftnfurious - Sometimes the family also enjoys a holiday. In laws have travelled with me to KL, GA, TN and PY in previous visits. This one though is longer and more days on the road.

Gentlemen - I have spent a few days and put together the travelogue. Almost 3800 kms in Ertiga. It was a long drive. Here is the link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uv-ertiga.html
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed