Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:14   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: It's a VW Vento (Petrol Highline AT). EDIT: Sold!

Yet another year passes, and it was time for our Vento’s 8th service. Since the AMC we had taken previously was still valid, this was a free service - but we did have a few niggles that needed to be attended to. The driver’s side power window switch panel had broken, and as a result the driver was not in a position to control the front passenger side window. We were also told that the AC’s drive belt had to be replaced. And finally, we were told that the front tyres had worn out. Was a little surprised at that - we have done just 3000 km with this car this year. And I had attempted to keep the car properly inflated while doing mileage runs during the lock down. We told the dealer to let the tyres pass - and got the rest of the work done. The main cost was the switch - and the total bill was a bit above ₹ 8500.

Got the tyres replaced today - changed only two tyres since the dealer indicated that the two which had been on the rear axle would last quite a while more. Stuck to Yokohama Earth 1s - which cost ₹4750 each. Fitted the new tyres on the rear axle - as recommended by Michelin and various auto forums - even through the dealer seemed to think they should go on the front.

Unlike my experience for my other car, these tyres are very new stock - week 42 of 2020. Hopefully they give as good service as my previous set of Earth 1s which were completely trouble free.

It's a VW Vento (Petrol Highline AT). EDIT: Sold!-f8dffcf69d6f4fa7a9f37a22758693c5.jpeg

The car is now at about 73400 km - will need to take a call on when to sell the car, will consider this sometime next year unless the pandemic suddenly worsens. I had thought this car would be break our family’s record for the maximum miles on a car with us (76,000 for my Zen) but that looks unlikely given how much our travel has come down this year, even if we keep the car for several months more.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 20:43   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

re: It's a VW Vento (Petrol Highline AT). EDIT: Sold!

And so that time comes when yet another car ownership story comes to an end.

As many of you know, I bought a new VW Tiguan Allspace to replace this car. I decided on the new car in early February, and simultaneously started to examine selling this car. Of course, a 8+ year old Petrol Automatic (with a now discontinued 1.6 l MPI engine) which has run nearly 76,000 kms is not the most attractive bride in the used car market. Both VW Mumbai North (from whom I bought the Tiguan), and VW Downtown (from whom I bought the Vento, and who have maintained it for the last 8+ years) made desultory offers.

Hence decided to look at the online complex for selling this car. Cars 24 inspected the car in February, and made what in retrospect was a fantastic offer. However, the offer was valid for only 3 days - and my company was nowhere near ready to complete processing of payments for the Tiguan. I thought about whether to take that offer, and live with just one car for the next month - but since I had just restarted working from office, we decided to let the offer pass.

It was mid March by the time we got our Tiguan, and Covid case counts were rising rapidly. We also went out of town for a few days after getting the Tiguan, and hence restarted the sale process for this car in early April. Cars 24 wanted the car reinspected - but ended cancelling the inspection appointment a few times. Car Dekho came up with something which was better than the VW dealers but very materially below what Cars 24 had offered initially. The lockdown in Bombay was announced a few days later, and we put this on hold.

With Covid counts easing in Bombay in June, we restarted the sale process - CARS24 was more responsive this time, and while the offer was almost 20% lower than what they quoted in February, the offer was better than the others I got and materially higher than what the dealers had offered or what Car Dekho offered in April.

A few last pics of the Vento - it was indeed a joy to own, despite the odd problems it gave us which I have described in this thread.

It's a VW Vento (Petrol Highline AT). EDIT: Sold!-d7c451ea9c494ea08f0a8546e063d1ba.jpeg

It's a VW Vento (Petrol Highline AT). EDIT: Sold!-6e20baa69b7e4f5295f9217cd5bddb53.jpeg

It's a VW Vento (Petrol Highline AT). EDIT: Sold!-98fe03701eda4e11a1b5955bffd48912.jpeg

Felt good that the guy who came to pick it up said that the car looks like a 3 or 4 year old car, not an 8.5 year old one - even if I personally thought my driver had messed it up with the odd nick from time to time.

8.5 years, 76,000 kms - by a small margin, the longest I have retained a car, and the most we have driven a single car under our ownership.
Hayek is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks