Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 06:09   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hey Deep bang, I never knew that you were on the look out for a new car. This came as a surprise to me. Nevertheless hearty congratulations on your new ride & what happened to your trusty old workhorse, Indica? Is is still in your garage & you sold it off? I believe grey colour seems to be your favourite. Both your cars don the same colour.

Wishing you many happy miles with your Quanto. Do keep posting regular updates over here.
Hi AutoIndian. It all happened very quickly. We had an old Alto which was doing it's job well but it was a very basic car - no power windows or AC too. As my Indica finished it's term on company lease and the company lease policy was not bad to save some tax thought of buying a new car...

We continue to have the dear Indica - it's usage only reduced. So I will continue to need your help on maintaining that car and this new one too!

The Alto is sold by the way (with a heavy heart ).

Last edited by deep_bang : 17th February 2013 at 06:10.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 09:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto C6 - Initial Owners Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Hi AutoIndian. It all happened very quickly. We had an old Alto which was doing it's job well but it was a very basic car - no power windows or AC too. As my Indica finished it's term on company lease and the company lease policy was not bad to save some tax thought of buying a new car...
Thanks for that clarification. some policies/offers are very lucrative & we can't resist the temptation.

Quote:
We continue to have the dear Indica - it's usage only reduced. So I will continue to need your help on maintaining that car and this new one too!
I will definitely help you in whichever possible way I can for your Indica. But for the Quanto, you better take help from the Mahindra experts & there is no dearth of them here on this forum

Quote:
The Alto is sold by the way (with a heavy heart ).
What year model was the Alto & how many kms under its belt? How much did it fetch you?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 11:38   #18
BHPian

Deep, I did a 310km trip to Panchavati 36 feet Hanumanji temple near pondichery this weekend, tanked up my quanto full after that and the mileage calculated comes to 18.12km. ( tank full to tank full method) I have been driving through b2b and highways. My MID had shown values from 17.1 to 21.2 at various times.
vipinendran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 12:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
What year model was the Alto & how many kms under its belt? How much did it fetch you?
AutoIndian - The Alto was a 2005 basic model, no PS or AC. The engine was a gem though, and was giving 18kmpl. I got 1.05L for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
Deep, I did a 310km trip to Panchavati 36 feet Hanumanji temple near pondichery this weekend, tanked up my quanto full after that and the mileage calculated comes to 18.12km. ( tank full to tank full method) I have been driving through b2b and highways. My MID had shown values from 17.1 to 21.2 at various times.
Thanks Vipinendran. Good to know!
I went on a highway run yesterday, and I got about 15kmpl on mixed roads (50% highway and 50% city). However, mine is still at just 700 kms, and I expect things to improve. As you mentioned a 18kmpl on highways is achievable if driven on a light foot.

There was one point where the MID was showing 31kmpl . This was when I driving downhill for about 3 kms. It looks like the algorithm sort of gets confused when driving downhill (and fuel consumption is near zero, but distance gets covered).
deep_bang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 16:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding FE the Display shows 18 to 20 , Mine is a combination of peak hour traffic, (thanks to the MRTS work in chennai ) and highway, my everyday commute to office being 45km to and fro.
This sort of mileage for a Quanto ( for that matter, any vehicle) is very good. Do update on real mileage, if taken note of, from tank full to tank full.
Old 5th March 2013, 09:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
This sort of mileage for a Quanto ( for that matter, any vehicle) is very good. Do update on real mileage, if taken note of, from tank full to tank full.
My quanto had gone in for the 1st service at 3058 km. Now, did the tank full to tank full mileage calculation and it is 19.34. The engine has also become smoother after the oil change and the low end torque, with full load of 7 peopel amazing as ever.
Old 5th March 2013, 14:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My quanto had gone in for the 1st service at 3058 km. Now, did the tank full to tank full mileage calculation and it is 19.34. The engine has also become smoother after the oil change and the low end torque, with full load of 7 peopel amazing as ever.
Quite excellent figures. One can opt for a Quanto instead of a hatch/sedan from mileage point of view.

Is the consumption consistent across the modes and loads?

Also, how is the middle row? There seems to be an opinion that the backrest of the middle row is a tad too upright for comfort.

Last edited by simplyself : 5th March 2013 at 14:26.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is still at 1200 kms, but i can feel the engine much smoother than before. The gear shift is also getting smoother, but still not yet quite there. I still feel my Indica's gear shift to be butter smooth (most won't agree, but really, my Indica's clutch and gearshift is really smooth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Also, how is the middle row? There seems to be an opinion that the backrest of the middle row is a tad too upright for comfort.
I have not spent much time in the middle row, but I did not hear from anyone sitting in the middle row saying its uncomfortable. Also, i have not gone for over 100kms at a strech, and so even if its too upright, people may not have felt uncomfortable. Will update on this after a longer highway run.

Fuel efficiency wise, the MID now a days shows 17+. This is upper figure, while the lower figure tends to be around 14.5. So, i am expecting an overall average over a full tank to be 15 to 16. Lets see!
Old 5th March 2013, 16:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Finally we are seeing ownership reviews on Quanto. congratulations

I really liked the unbiased review as expected from a team-bhpian

Bangalore FE should be around 12-14kmpl. MID always is optimistic. Do update once you do the tankful

Also diesels improve FE once they run more. 250kms is too short to calculate.

Have you never used the 3rd row ? please share some feedback on that
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 19:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is still at 1200 kms, but i can feel the engine much smoother than before. The gear shift is also getting smoother, but still not yet quite there. I still feel my Indica's gear shift to be butter smooth (most won't agree, but really, my Indica's clutch and gearshift is
It is a fact that Indica's gear shift was smooth. My Indica's shift was a lot smoother than that of some of the bigger and pricier vehicles.

Mahindra claims about 17 kmpl FE for the Quanto. The 16-17 kmpl figures look closer to the claim.

My friend's Scorpio, when driven sedately at about 80 kmph, returns 14 kmpl. The smaller Quanto's engine returning 17-18 kmpl regularly is possible.

With a lesser body weight to lug around, this engine would definitely return a lot more attractive FE.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 03:37   #26
BHPian

Hi deep_bang,

congratulations and hope you have miles and miles of happy times with your new car. Now that it is a month or so, what is your feedback ? also did u manage to do any long highway runs ?

any niggles or issues ? (hope nothing is there )

Quote:

Thanks! Will definitely update highway performance soon.
Old 12th March 2013, 22:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Have you never used the 3rd row ? please share some feedback on that
The 3rd row was used a few times during short runs and nobody complained. In fact, most said it was quite comfortable - probably because they expected it to be quite bad as it looks really small. So, I feel for short runs of half hour or less, its fine even for adults. It is most likely going to be a pain for longer drives. I also think the driver needs to be a little careful as jumping over a speed bump might just make the 3rd row passengers touch the roof (this has not happened, but I was cautious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Hi deep_bang,

congratulations and hope you have miles and miles of happy times with your new car. Now that it is a month or so, what is your feedback ? also did u manage to do any long highway runs ?

After a month or so, I have done short stretches of highways and since I am still running in the car did not go beyond 110. On Nice road in Bangalore, going at 110, it felt pretty safe - so that's good. However, one should not even think of expecting sedan-like high-speed-stability on an SUV.

The car's engine has smoothened quite a bit. The vibration that I had mentioned around 1200 to 1400 rpm or so, have reduced to a great deal. It feels good, and as many have mentioned, the low-end torque is very good making it a very nice city car.

Parking is quite easy (not as easy as a hatch though...), and it does not feel like a Xylo/Safari/Scorpio type. The only thing is, I got reverse camera installed as there is a HUGE blind spot while reversing.

After about 1400 kms, there is no part that is vibrating or squeaking. So that's good. Have to wait till 10k atleast to really test such things.

Recently I got a OBD adapter from a friend and was able to connect it to the car, and get the ODB details on my phone (via an app called fun2drive). It shows parameters like RPM, speed, fuel consumption etc. The most important parameter for me, the fuel efficiency is already shown on the MID.

Couple of comments on the MID:
1. There is a gear indicator. It seems useless. I don't know why would anyone see it. On top of that, it shows only when you release the clutch - and not while you have depressed it. It almost seems as if someone in Mahindra said "Hey we have this information - shall we show it? it would be cool". And someone else said, "yeah - go ahead. Kis ka baap ka kya jata".

2. As GTO and others mentioned the start-stop mechanism is a nuisance. The problem is, if I look at my driving style, I get the car to neutral even for short stops of say 10 to 15 seconds. And this system switches the car off just to start it again after 8 to 10 seconds. So I leave it switched off permanently.

3. The temperature indicator on the MID seems weird. Wherever the sensor is located, it cools much slower than the normal cabin temperature. So, its hard to go by what the temperature indicates. For instance, with the AC on, in blower position 3, it took more than half hour to get from 35 to 28 degrees (as per the MID IN temperature). However, realistically, we felt comfortable within minutes. So, I suspect the sensor is situated in a place which is not the best place for it.

4. Engine noise - quite smooth, and does not seem like a 3 cylinder engine.

5. Transmission - feels rubbery at first, till the engine warms up. After that the gear shifts are much better.

Yet to take the car for 1st service (at 5k kms).

Last edited by deep_bang : 12th March 2013 at 22:36.
deep_bang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 03:35   #28
BHPian

@deep: Good review and a nice layout of the items which a normal person would want to know before buying a car. I liked the way you had described each of the items.

And congrats on your ride.
Moonraker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 09:19   #29
BHPian

thanks for unbiased review.
How does car perform on steep inclines with 3-4 passengers?
One of my friend told that one has to slip clutch more than other cars after standstill during uphill.
Any idea?
Old 13th April 2013, 10:32   #30
jp1
BHPian

My Quanto C6 done around 4k+ and it is around 5 months. deep_bang, hope you dont mind me answering few queries. So far no niggles except mild squeaking sound from front seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Any chance the tyre can be upgraded?
This is the first thing I tried and I wrote to Mahindra and I got following reply. I was asking them whether it can go with Bolero tyres.
-----------
Dear Sir,

Regret the delay in responding to your query on the tyre change, I have consulted my technical team on your query. Ideally it is not recommended, as there are other factors like power train considering the torque curve, gear box ratio, final reduction considered while arriving at the tyre size. Hence it would not be advisable to change the tyres to a bigger one.

regards

Sivaramakrishnan
------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Hi deep_bang,

Nothing as such

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
How does car perform on steep inclines with 3-4 passengers?
One of my friend told that one has to slip clutch more than other cars after standstill during uphill.
Any idea?
Yes, at times I find this issue, but not always. Once the turbo kicks in, it will fly. Done couple of long highway drives and high ranges such as Munnar and it was quite easy and pleasant drive. Body roll is not as bad as it is made out to be.
jp1 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks