Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2013, 19:35   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Quanto C6 - Initial Owners Report

- Point wise likes & dislikes of the car (summary).

2. SUV Look and feel.
3. Awesome Price for a so called SUV.
4. Feature rich - very rich infact for the price.

Dislikes:
1. Body roll.
2. Bumpy ride.

- All the alternatives that were considered, and why you zeroed in on this particular car
Mainly considered the Duster. The Duster is a very competent car, and particularly better than the Quanto wrt the handling. However, to be frank, with the numerous price increases, it went over my budget. Also, I was clear that I needed atleast some safety features (like ABS) and Duster with the option pack was almost like 12+ lakhs in Bangalore. Ecosport was also likely to be in the same range plus or minus 50k. So, it was either the full SUV for 12L(a la Duster), or a SUV'ish, practical Quanto.

Before everyone starts to blast me for comparing the Quanto and the Duster, let me clarify that they are in 2 different segments. Its just that for a person looking at an entry level SUV, both of these qualify. I have tried to acknowledge the strong points of other cars (mostly Duster), while equally appreciating the strong points of the Quanto.

While I don't want to repeat what the Official review states, I will try my best to add things that might have been overlooked during the official review, or the not so significant things.

- Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership
Booked the car from Sireesh Auto with a booking amount of 20k. The booking was pleasant. The sales executive was quite knowledgeable - to the point of understanding the good and the bad points. He even acknowledged the not-so-good points.

- On-road price, discounts etc.
The car was bought on Company Lease, so the on road price was sans-insurance. It was 8.44L. this is without any discounts, and includes a recent price hike in Jan 2013. The freebees included just the basics (footmats, mudguards, perfume, Ganesha idol).

- Engine type & variant
This is a review for Mahindra Quanto C6. This is one variant below the top-end with Airbags and Reverse parking sensors missing.

- The good and bad about its equipment levels
The equipment levels are pretty good and the car is feature rich.
1. Space is awesome. The driver and co-passenger seats are more or less sofa-like including the arm rests. The Driver side seat has Seat-height adjustment, which does help quite a bit. Do note that the height adjustment needs you to lift yourself off the seat, to raise it up - and as it moves up, it also moves forward a wee little bit.

2. Tilt steering is helpful, although the travel is quite limited. Even between the 2 seat height settings, I find the tilt steering helpful to get a good the view of the instrument cluster. The steering is very smooth at low speeds, and at the same time the negative is that it does not give much feedback at higher speeds. But the quality of the steering is really good. The Steering on the C6 is different from the one on C8. The C8 one is from Scorpio (with airbags).

3. The other thing I really liked is the fuel consumption values shown on the instrument cluster on top of middle AC vents. I have not yet had a chance to compare the real world fuel efficiency versus what the MID shows. However, it will not be exactly the same as the MID shows the efficiency only for the last 30 kms. At the moment, it has been hovering between 15 and 16kmpl in Bangalore traffic. If this is really true, and I really get the same via the tank-full to tank-full method, I would really be happy.

4. Puddle lamps are good!

5. Music system is decent. What does bother me though is the brightness of the display. The display is so bright and made of 7 segment LED displays that even when not lit, some segments appear lit slightly. It just is too bright sometimes. Wish there was a way to dim the display.

6. The instrument cluster lights are pleasing white. Again - my 6 year old Indica has a feature to dim/brighten the display - and I miss that. Not a big deal though - the instrument cluster is quite pleasing to the eye, and I did not feel a strain anytime.

7. The theater type dimming lamps are good, and there are 2 of them, one in the front and another at the back of the cabin. The light at the back can be accessed by people in both the 2nd row and 3rd row. The reading lamps are awesome, and can change the direction by about 40 degrees (something like in a plane).

- How many kms you have completed at the time of writing your review
250 kms

- Your usage pattern (e.g. 12 kms daily in dense traffic)
20km daily on weekdays, More on weekends.

- Comments on the exterior styling & design
Personally, I like this better than the Xylo. The Xylo was never the one to win awards, and this will not either. The back view with the spare wheel is the best part of the car from the looks perspective.

- Overall build quality and fit & finish
The build quality seems to be good, and its too early to comment on it. The doors shut with a thud which is reassuring and makes it feel solid. The doors also have a 2 stage stop, which makes it nice to get out and get in.
The paint quality is good and I did not see a lacuna anywhere as far as the paint job is concerned!
There are panel gaps, some of them quite wide. However, they are not immediately apparent and needs close inspection to point them out. This is definitely way better than one of the scorpios I have seen (it was a 2010 scorpio).

- Interior design & quality
Interior design is quite practical, and there are lots of storage spaces. While practical, and pleasing, it is nothing out of the world. Its pretty normal - decent and functional. The beige interiors are not as light as in some cars like Ertiga, which I think makes it easier to maintain.

- Interior space and comfort
Space is awesome. Comfort is very good - but also see my note on the body roll later.

- Air conditioner, seat support, ergonomics and other noteworthy interior points
AC is good for the first 2 rows. We have not used the last much for people, and so cant comment on it. Will report further as we use it more and more.

- Engine performance & driveability in the city
The engine is, for the most part quite smooth - specially considering it is a 3 cylinder. However, there is a significant vibration at approximately 1000 to 1200 rpm. Now, what this means is, in the first gear you are sure to feel this - and this is visible even in 2nd gear when going a tad slow. It feels like you are lugging the engine a little. This is the only bother I have at this point regarding the engine.

- Engine performance & driveability on the highway
Not yet gone on a highway run. Will report as and when I do that.

- Overall opinion on the engine
Overall, the engine is good, except for the shuddering vibration around 1000 to 1200 rpm.

- Gearshift / transmission quality, smoothness, response time etc.
Gear shift feels rubbery, but it improved considerably after the engine warms up. Now that I am used it, it does not feel bad at all.

- Fuel efficiency : City and Highway
City - MID shows between 15 to 16.

- Suspension & ride quality
This is another minus for Quanto. There is a significant body roll. Also, the ride is bumpy for people sitting in 2nd row. So, what this means is that one would need to go ultra-slow on really bad humps. Initially the tyre pressure was set to 47PSI (by the dealer) for the first 2 days after I took the vehicle and the car was seriously feeling bumpy. Once I got it down to sane levels (33psi) the ride is much better, but still a tad bumpy. This is not so good compared to a good hatch/sedan.

- Handling, on-road behaviour and grip levels
The steering is smooth and a little too smooth at higher speeds. So, I think a little feedback would help.

- Any particular likes (damped ashtrays, powerful headlights, music system etc.)
Mirrors are excellent and do their job well.

- Any particular dislikes (small mirrors, weak wipers, weak foglamps etc.)

- Review on overall practicality (luggage room, ease of ingress/egress, cubby holes etc.)
Very practical car. If the handling is improved I can see this as a serious challenge for Duster/Ecosport etc. Think about this, even with a 1640kg weight, the car does give 15 to 16 kmpl - which I believe is really awesome.

I will continue to post on this thread for each milestone about the developments, mileage, feel, service costs, Highway manners etc. Photos will follow in a couple of days, as I am yet to go for a photo shoot.

Last edited by deep_bang : 7th February 2013 at 22:06.
deep_bang is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Quanto C6 - Initial Owners Report

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12th February 2013, 21:09   #3
BHPian

Some pictures:

The pictures are only of external shots. I thought the official review here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
has covered the interiors in quite a detail. The only change was the steering and hence posting that here! Also note the spare wheel cover which is fully closed versus the one half open one on the C8. The fully closed ones are for C6 and below, which do not have alloys.

Now I feel far more comfortable with the car, and the engine has smoothened out quite a bit. OR I have learnt to run the car at better RPM's that has made it smoother.

I definitely feel the need for reverse parking sensors. I am yet to get it - and I am thinking of going for the one which shows up the video. The only hitch is - where to put the video screen? It is ugly to put it someplace on the dash!

After getting used to the looks of the Quanto, which grow on you, the Xylo seems way too long! No offence to Xylo owners!

If there is any specific questions members may have, please ask and I will try my best to reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto C6 - Initial Owners Report-quanto.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto C6 - Initial Owners Report-quanto1.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto C6 - Initial Owners Report-quanto3.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto C6 - Initial Owners Report-quanto2.jpg  

Last edited by deep_bang : 12th February 2013 at 21:16.
deep_bang is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 23:55   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. Looks good in this color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I definitely feel the need for reverse parking sensors. I am yet to get it - and I am thinking of going for the one which shows up the video. The only hitch is - where to put the video screen? It is ugly to put it someplace on the dash!
You can go for the Mirror Mounted Screen Unit. It doubles up as a RVM and is quite unobtrusive.
Old 13th February 2013, 07:34   #5
BHPian

Hello deep_bang,

Congratulations to you. Any plans for a rubber + alloy upgrade? Bigger tires will suit the Quanto no end

As for the sensors screen, most of the sensors that are available these days, do offer another rear view mirror (with a built-in display) in the package itself. And this, can be simply clipped on to the existing one. So, no ugly fittings anywhere near the dashboard

Please check out the below link for reference-

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-VFD-Rever...-/260954877106

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 13th February 2013 at 07:36.
Old 13th February 2013, 08:02   #6
BHPian

Hi deep_bang,
Congrats on your new purchase!!!
If I am not mistaken yours is the first Quanto on team-bhp?
Nice crisp review.
The tall boy design definitely needs a rear view cam.
I am quite interested in the highway performance of the car. Do update when you have had a highway stint.
pradyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 09:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Many Congratulations Deep for your new car.
I think the bodyroll is the single most disadvantage point for the Quanto.
Wish you many happy mile munching with the Quanto.
Enjoy your ride and drive safe.
Sommos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 15:49   #8
BHPian

Congrats deep on you new car

You should upgrade to a nice looking alloys and better tyres. It'll not only enhance the looks but inprove handling to some extent.

Wish you a trouble free ownership. Drive Safe!!!
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 12:23   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your new car deepbang, Great ownership review, Yes, looking forward to more experiences and insights, ye dil mange more

You will enjoy driving the quanto on the highways, what I observed in my two trips to bangalore was the fewer gear changes and ease of overtaking. This with a fully loaded c8 ( 5 adults and 2 children ). I was always a very reluctant night driver on the highways, but with the quanto it has been a different story, as most of the opposite vehicles headlights do not hit you on the eye and that is a blessing in disguise and I am really enjoying driving at night.

Regarding FE the Display shows 18 to 20 , Mine is a combination of peak hour traffic, (thanks to the MRTS work in chennai ) and highway, my everyday commute to office being 45km to and fro.

I love the storage under the drivers seat
Old 14th February 2013, 12:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Quanto. I guess you definitely went with practicality than anything else and I am sure the Quanto will serve you quite well. With the high GC you can literally glide over the Bangalore humps and bumps.
Old 15th February 2013, 21:22   #11
BHPian

Deep, thanks for a candid review !

At one time, I was quite looking forward to the Quanto launch but was rather disappointed with the Mahindra chop job on the XYLO, they nailed it with the rear design, but the front is xylo'esque, tad ugly if nothing else. The biggest down-er for me was the sideways profile and the l-a-r-g-e wheel wells and how the stock tyres look absolutely ridiculous in them. I agree with the other folks recommending a tyre upgrade, I am pretty sure it will enhance the appeal of the car.
Old 15th February 2013, 21:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the car and wish you miles of happy & safe journey.

Quote:
....Mainly considered the Duster. The Duster is a very competent car, and particularly better than the Quanto wrt the handling. However, to be frank, with the numerous price increases, it went over my budget. Also, I was clear that I needed atleast some safety features (like ABS) and Duster with the option pack was almost like 12+ lakhs in Bangalore...
This portion convinces me that this is one of the reports to look forward to! Very honest & un-biased. Am sure this will help a lot of people to set their expectations realistic when they read about Quanto! Thank you!

Most of your points match with my TD experience.

Quote:
...I definitely feel the need for reverse parking sensors. I am yet to get it - and I am thinking of going for the one which shows up the video....
A video-reverse parking sensor is a MUST HAVE for Quanto! I had such a difficult time trying to reverse up a gate and I could NOT see anything behind the car. Please do invest in it ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
...You can go for the Mirror Mounted Screen Unit. It doubles up as a RVM and is quite unobtrusive.
The problem is you miss out on the day-night feature (if your IRVM already has it). The new clip on screen would NOT adjust the brightness when toggled. But then one does NOT have a choice I guess.

Edit::

Quote:
...The only hitch is - where to put the video screen? It is ugly to put it someplace on the dash!..
You have these options

1. Buy a 2 DIN stereo with support for reverse cams. Might cost you anything close to 15-20K. Advantage, you get better music quality and a bit more premium feel.

2. Buy an IRVM screen which will be clipped on to the stock IRVM. Disadvantage - you might lose your day-night function.

3. Buy a dash mounted cam and place it on the driver side (between the speedo console & A-Pillar. So ONLY the driver gets to see the screen.

4. Buy a GPS device with support for reverse cam. Expect to shell out 10-15K! This could be mounted on dash / windshield and double advantage with practicality, both as GPS & a reverse cam too!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th February 2013 at 22:04. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 00:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Please check out the below link for reference-

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-VFD-Rever...-/260954877106
Thanks! Will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
If I am not mistaken yours is the first Quanto on team-bhp?
Nice crisp review.
The tall boy design definitely needs a rear view cam.
I am quite interested in the highway performance of the car. Do update when you have had a highway stint.
Thanks! Will definitely update highway performance soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Many Congratulations Deep for your new car.
I think the bodyroll is the single most disadvantage point for the Quanto.
Wish you many happy mile munching with the Quanto.
Thanks for your wishes. As I mentioned earlier, body roll is there, but it has been hyped up more than what it is. I mean to say its not that bad - its sort of like a Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats deep on you new car
You should upgrade to a nice looking alloys and better tyres. It'll not only enhance the looks but inprove handling to some extent.
Will check it out! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
Regarding FE the Display shows 18 to 20 , Mine is a combination of peak hour traffic, (thanks to the MRTS work in chennai ) and highway, my everyday commute to office being 45km to and fro.
Would be great if you can also report the fuel efficiency via the tank full to tank full method - to see how much of a deviation the MID shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Deep, thanks for a candid review !
Thanks. Will certainly look into the tyres. Looking at my schedules right now, its getting tough to find time for it. Priority wise, reverse parking sensors first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This portion convinces me that this is one of the reports to look forward to! Very honest & un-biased. Am sure this will help a lot of people to set their expectations realistic when they read about Quanto! Thank you!
Thanks! That's what TBHP is all about ain't it?
Old 16th February 2013, 00:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the new car. I can clearly see how you zeroed in on the product.
When one is on a hunt for new car, he gets a 1000 opinions for 1000 folks.

The question is how one goes about getting priorities in place and makes a decision accordingly. I can clearly the Quanto work out as a very able city car. Wish you many more miles.

Any chance the tyre can be upgraded?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 15:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey Deep bang, I never knew that you were on the look out for a new car. This came as a surprise to me. Nevertheless hearty congratulations on your new ride & what happened to your trusty old workhorse, Indica? Is is still in your garage & you sold it off? I believe grey colour seems to be your favourite. Both your cars don the same colour.

Wishing you many happy miles with your Quanto. Do keep posting regular updates over here.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks