Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2016, 17:10   #211
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!

Hello Anshuman,

Great videos. There are not much videos on internet on XUV AWD capabilities. I believe these videos will help potential customer who are looking for AWD.

I see you have put Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. I think they too have helped.
S5157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 15:24   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^ My XUV AWD does not have any such jerk, please get the engine and gearbox mountings checked.
Hi Anshuman,

Sorry, I don't think I could have sent you a personal message directly, so writing here.

Would it be convenient for you to come with me to test drive an XUV 500 W8 AWD in Gurgaon and give your inputs? Planning to buy a pre-owned AWD SUV and have shortlisted this XUV and a Duster.

Thanks!
Old 4th October 2016, 12:49   #213
Aum
BHPian

Hi Anshuman,
Great ownership report, finished it in one go. I am in final stages of finalizing my ride hence this review is very useful. I am not sure if I should be cluttering your ownership log for these query, Please pardon me for the same. I am based in Delhi and travel to Gurgaon daily. Vehicle under consideration currently are
1. XUV W8 - AWD(Most likely choice in XUV)
2. XUV W10 AWD-AT ( not getting good feel in AT, hence apprehensive, purely under cosideration due to daily drive to Gurgaon)
3. Safari Storme 4*4 - Heart's desire and sheer driving comfort
4. Hexa - good report but can't trust unless I see ownership report
I would really appreciate, if you could give your valuable suggestions.

Regards,
Aum
Old 4th October 2016, 13:47   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aum View Post
Hi Anshuman,
Great ownership report, finished it in one go. I am in final stages of finalizing my ride hence this review is very useful. I am not sure if I should be cluttering your ownership log for these query, Please pardon me for the same. I am based in Delhi and travel to Gurgaon daily. Vehicle under consideration currently are
1. XUV W8 - AWD(Most likely choice in XUV)
2. XUV W10 AWD-AT ( not getting good feel in AT, hence apprehensive, purely under cosideration due to daily drive to Gurgaon)
3. Safari Storme 4*4 - Heart's desire and sheer driving comfort
4. Hexa - good report but can't trust unless I see ownership report
I would really appreciate, if you could give your valuable suggestions.

Regards,
Aum
Drive both XUV and Storme back to back, check what kind of vehicle you need, both are as different as Chalk and Cheese.

Personally I do not like the Ride, handling, body control and overall on road dynamics of either Scorpio or Storme. But then it boils down to personal taste, some people do not like the stiff setup in XUV.

Hexa is not launched yet, cannot say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Hi Anshuman,

Sorry, I don't think I could have sent you a personal message directly, so writing here.

Would it be convenient for you to come with me to test drive an XUV 500 W8 AWD in Gurgaon and give your inputs? Planning to buy a pre-owned AWD SUV and have shortlisted this XUV and a Duster.

Thanks!
Sorry I was travelling in Ladakh with no internet connectivity at that time, so could not reply.
Old 12th November 2016, 22:52   #215
BHPian

Hi Anshuman, your Off-road videos are awesome!

I am planning to go for a W8 AWD model and waiting for some better year-end discounts. I have three questions:

1. What's the Average cost of servicing for AWD variant? Is it always close to 10K per service or lesser than that.

2. Are there any improvements in the new-age XUV compared to the older model with respect to AWD mechanism/features?

3. My travelling will be mostly in city/highway along with occasional drives to my native which has muddy/slushy lanes, bad roads and sand beaches. Do you think 2WD should be fine or an AWD will make a lot of difference to the drive experience.

Note: I did consider that Duster AWD variant, but honestly spending 15 odd lakhs and still compromising on lesser boot space is what turned down the decision.
Satshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 02:19   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
I am planning to go for a W8 AWD model and waiting for some better year-end discounts. I have three questions:

1. What's the Average cost of servicing for AWD variant? Is it always close to 10K per service or lesser than that.

2. Are there any improvements in the new-age XUV compared to the older model with respect to AWD mechanism/features?

3. My travelling will be mostly in city/highway along with occasional drives to my native which has muddy/slushy lanes, bad roads and sand beaches. Do you think 2WD should be fine or an AWD will make a lot of difference to the drive experience.
Yea Anshuman's videos on youtube are pretty good, I have subscribed as well.

1) The servicing of AWD vs 2WD is similar. The only time you will spend more is when you need to change the AWD IRDA and PTU fluid (combined total of 2 liters), which happens initially at 5k km and then at 50k intervals. Rest is completely similar.
To get exact estimate of each service cost you can download the Mahindra with you hamesha app or check the website. Roughly 5k and 10k rupees alternating every 10k kms because oil change is every 20k kms. Can go higher if additional repairs done (i.e. wiper blade, mud guard replacement, etc not covered under warranty)

2) As far as I know the AWD system is similar to the older one. But there is a new ESP-9 system in the new XUV which should definitely improve driving experience. The suspension has also improved a bit which will make the ride better as well.

3) 2WD vs AWD is a personal preference. Some will say if your ride is mostly for city/highway then 2WD is enough. But if you are buying an SUV/a vehicle of this size it would be better to get AWD since it does provide a bit of comfort knowing it can tackle a bit of mud and slush when needed. Even my rides are mostly in the city but I still went with AWD. AWD works well with ESP on slippery road conditions as well. The main downside is lesser fuel economy which is 1-2 km lesser compared to 2WD due to added weight and possible extra cost added if anything happens to the AWD system. So far have not heard of anyone have major issues with AWD System.

Good luck!!

Last edited by falconion : 13th November 2016 at 02:20.
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 14:31   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anshuman, your Off-road videos are awesome!
Thanks, I am glad you like the videos!

Quote:

I do not keep a detailed record of expenditure, the service cost is around 10k for Oil change service. Nothing extra for AWD, except rear diff oil change but it has a long interval.
Quote:
Yes, the new XUV gets much needed shorter gearing, the final ratio is changed.

Quote:
For the extra capability I recommend AWD or 4x4 variants wherever possible.

Quote:
Note: I did consider that Duster AWD variant, but honestly spending 15 odd lakhs and still compromising on lesser boot space is what turned down the decision.
In terms of offroad capability Duster AWD is excellent, but seating & ergonomics in XUV are way superior.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 11:09   #218
BHPian

Thank you so much Falconion and Anshuman. These details will surely help me in the buying decision.

How about best tyres for XUV AWD? Can I go for CEAT Czar A/T or Pirelli Scorpion A/T or any other good brand. I need a quieter tyre with good off-road capabilities and longer durability.

I am planning to trade-off with the stock Bridgestone Duelers as soon as I buy the vehicle. Any idea what Exchange price the tyre dealers generally offer?
Old 15th November 2016, 15:13   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much Falconion and Anshuman. These details will surely help me in the buying decision.

How about best tyres for XUV AWD? Can I go for CEAT Czar A/T or Pirelli Scorpion A/T or any other good brand. I need a quieter tyre with good off-road capabilities and longer durability.

I am planning to trade-off with the stock Bridgestone Duelers as soon as I buy the vehicle. Any idea what Exchange price the tyre dealers generally offer?
I have shifted to Pirelli Scorpion ATR, excellent tyres both on and off road! If you buy a XUV AWD, most probably you will get Bridgestone Dueler as stock tyres, these tyres have good resale value.

My guess is you will have to pay 2-3k per tyre for upgrade, check with your tyre shop.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 15:19   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Few more videos from recent outings:

.anshuman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 16:10   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Few more videos from recent outings:
Thanks for the videos. I have watched them a few days back and wanted to ask you a few questions related to XUVs off-road capabilities:

1) How was the ride confidence going on the slopes and in the mud?
2) In your opinion how well did the vehicle perform by itself and in comparison to the other vehicles tested there?
3) In your opinion out of all the vehicles you guys have taken off-road how would you rate them in their off-road capabilities? i.e. best to worst
4) Did you have the AWD locked at all times?
5) Have you tried to do this without having AWD locked?
6) Did you have ESP off at all times?
7) If ESP was on did it affect the ride in any way?

Thanks!!

Last edited by falconion : 15th November 2016 at 16:13.
Old 15th November 2016, 16:20   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
Thanks for the videos. I have watched them a few days back and wanted to ask you a few questions related to XUVs off-road capabilities:

1) How was the ride confidence going on the slopes and in the mud?
I attempt everything with XUV, except where GC limits it, even places I know it cannot make it. So far Good for a full sized crossover.

Quote:
2) In your opinion how well did the vehicle perform by itself and in comparison to the other vehicle tested there?
It's the only Crossover in the group here, don't know what to compare it to. Ladder frame SUV's outperform it because of the hardware.

Quote:
3) In your opinion out of all the vehicle you guys have taken off-road how would you rate them in their off-road capabilities? i.e. best to worst
On the sandy and rutty climbs we do, I would rate: New Endeavour=Ironman Fortuner(both have their advantages)>Old Endeavour=Storme 4x4> new Scorpio 4x4 = XUV AWD(again, respective strengths).

Quote:
4) Did you have the AWD locked at all times?
Mostly Yes, rarely off when experimenting.

Quote:
5) Have you tried to do this without having AWD locked?
Yes, but better to keep it locked for smoother and cosntant transfer of power to all wheels. Anyways its fast to react.

Quote:
6) Did you have ESP off at all times?
Yes, I prefer it off, except on Ice/gravel roads(at speed)/normal Roads.

Quote:
7) If ESP was on did it affect the ride in any way?
In mud/sand/snow it unnecessarily cuts down engine power(too much of it), bogging down the vehicle. Since the TC is not active type in this car it does not act like Pseudo LSD.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th November 2016 at 16:22.
.anshuman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 13:39   #223
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anshuman,

Have you had a chance to upgrade your XUV's suspension/shockers?

My 5 year old W6 front suspension have started sounding weird so i guess it needs replacement. I am confused whether to get the stock suspension from ASS or get some after market ones from outside. Any suggestion/recommendations ? Also any reliable place you know from where i can get this done?
Old 17th November 2016, 17:45   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I am confused whether to get the stock suspension from ASS or get some after market ones from outside.

This is on my wish-list!

Gaurav Gills's Super XUV has similar setup. If you get in touch with RRP team, they can help! Cost and budget is real deterrence at this moment for me :(
Old 4th March 2017, 15:00   #225

Dear Fellow XUV Enthusiasts,

I am in the market looking for a pre owned, good condition 2011/12/13 XUV W8. I have been through a lot of the XUV threads and came across people who have bought used ones. Most mentioned that XUV doesn't fetch a good resale value and one can find a 5 year old XUV W8 around 5-6L. However in my limited experience, I havent come across any below 6.5-7L. Am I missing something here? Will appreciate some help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks