Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 11:09   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Nice report Anushman. Great insights. And the first thing I'm going to add are those hellas
I love the sound of these Red Grille Horns.

Quote:
Question for you. I currently drive a Scorpio 2WD. I've never felt the need for a 4WD and it's taken me everywhere I needed to go. So the question is do I really need an AWD? You've mentioned that the AWD is much better to drive. Is the difference that apparent on regular roads? Would appreciate it if you could explain the difference or maybe point me to a place where you've already explained it
It's a personal decision, if you managed fine with a Scorpio 2wd, even the XUV-500 2wd won't let you down.

AWD is not required in my daily usage, infact even in this trip i was taking the tougher path just for fun, except for a few sections which i would have avoided if i was driving a 2wd. Being a Automobile Enthusiast, i love 4wd systems because i love exploring, i appreciate the extra capability. I use the AWD system on a regular basis, just for some fun.

To me it was a Head vs Heart decision, my car ownerships are not necessarily need/requirement based. I would have managed just fine with a 2wd XUV, but then i do not really require a Crossover/SUV to take me to Himalayas or other tough places, my Laura can manage everything if i want her to- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html

But as per me, a SUV has to have a 4wd system, or else it is not a real SUV for me. I do not really care for Road Presence or 'Every one makes way for me' feel, i respect the SUVs for their extra capability in the rough.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 13:07   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

While we were climbing Khardung La, there was a new Verna ahead of us, getting stuck, getting out by burning clutch, scraping it's bottom all along. We reached the top together.

For me a real SUV is the one that has 4L and that can stop and start on those inclines at that altitude WITHOUT burning the clutch (and without excessive smoke).
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 13:14   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
While we were climbing Khardung La, there was a new Verna ahead of us, getting stuck, getting out by burning clutch, scraping it's bottom all along. We reached the top together.

For me a real SUV is the one that has 4L and that can stop and start on those inclines at that altitude WITHOUT burning the clutch (and without excessive smoke).
Do you think Automatic AWD also requires a 4L? Since the torque converter can multiply the torque when required and one can really climb a hill at a crawling speed, I thought an automatic SUV (with AWD) may not benefit from 4L.
Old 31st July 2013, 13:35   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Do you think Automatic AWD also requires a 4L? Since the torque converter can multiply the torque when required and one can really climb a hill at a crawling speed, I thought an automatic SUV (with AWD) may not benefit from 4L.
I have felt the effects of the Torque Convertor on my Santro AT helping a lot in low speed pulling & overtaking. Masks the low power & torque of the engine. Only acceleration is a bit compromised for some time.

Would be interesting to see if it works on AWD also. Possibly somebody with an Outlander or CRV-AT could test this against a Grand Vitara?
Old 31st July 2013, 13:54   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Enjoy the Pics
Brilliant pics there Anshuman. Truly wallpaper material. Mahindra should have these kind of pics in their brochures.

P.S. Please watermark these pics.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 14:01   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The real SUV indeed is the one with 4L with 3 Differential locks, sway bars that can be disconnected, suspension that can take abuse, M/T tires...

For a crossover i think 4L is asking too much, i'd be content with a short first gear.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I have felt the effects of the Torque Convertor on my Santro AT helping a lot in low speed pulling & overtaking. Masks the low power & torque of the engine. Only acceleration is a bit compromised for some time.

Would be interesting to see if it works on AWD also. Possibly somebody with an Outlander or CRV-AT could test this against a Grand Vitara?
Automatic Transmissions cannot really replace the 4L, but may fare better for those who are not skilled at using the Clutch properly. If abused even the AT Torque converter is at risk of getting damaged. Ask Safari_Beast on how their Fortuner AT started stinking of gear oil when abuse the gearbox on steep inclines. My Laura DSG performed really well on steep climbs last year.

Damaging the Clutch really depends on driving skills, some may burn out the clutch in a single climb, other may not damage it at all. Even on really steep shortcuts, i did not have to ABUSE the clutch.

Like the mentioned earlier in the report, i did miss Low Range gearing.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 14:45   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Torque convertor helps improve the initial torque, but 4L will add to it. And from my first hand experience, at those altitudes (15000+ feet), there will be no such thing as extra torque :-)

The biggest advantange of torque convertor will be - no need to burn the clutch.

So ideally, we need AT + 4L.

Quote:

AT masks the problem, 4L actually fixes it :-)

Quote:
The real SUV indeed is the one with 4L with 3 Differential locks, sway bars that can be disconnected, suspension that can take abuse, M/T tires...

For a crossover i think 4L is asking too much, i'd be content with a short first gear.

Automatic Transmissions cannot really replace the 4L, but may fare better for those who are not skilled at using the Clutch properly. If abused even the AT Torque converter is at risk of getting damaged. Ask Safari_Beast on how their Fortuner AT started stinking of gear oil when abuse the gearbox on steep inclines. My Laura DSG performed really well on steep climbs last year.

Like the mentioned earlier in the report, i did miss Low Range gearing.
Overall, yes, of course :-)

In my post, was specifically focusing on the issue of stop and go situations on inclines at those altitudes. Let's assume for a moment that they make the Khardung La like a formula 1 track. So you won't need diff locks, MT tires, etc, but still you will burn the clutch and emit black smoke in absence of 4L.

And even though I was "skillfully" burning the clutch without stalling, I did not enjoy it and I was not proud of it all. And I just hated the way every vehicle was smoking. There was one Innova which was not emiiting even a single black particle and we were startled, then after a few km, it occurred to me that it may be a petrol Innova. I felt so relieved just by that thought that I did not confirm it (I was afraid that if it turns out to be a diesel one, I would not able able to digest it)

Last edited by anandpadhye : 31st July 2013 at 14:47.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 21:13   #98
BHPian

Quote:

The biggest advantange of torque convertor will be - no need to burn the clutch.
So ideally, we need AT + 4L.
AT masks the problem, 4L actually fixes it :-)
This reinforces my decison to go in for a 2nd. hand Grand Vitara AT. Will be doing so by Dec. Unfortunately not too many AT examples are around.
Old 1st August 2013, 13:24   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This reinforces my decison to go in for a 2nd. hand Grand Vitara AT. Will be doing so by Dec. Unfortunately not too many AT examples are around.
A good condition Grand Vitara AT will be tough to find. I'd recommend the newer 2.4 Grand Vitara over the weaker previous version, the 4 speed AT is an outdated box.

Finding a good Mitsubishi Outlander will be a much easier task. Except for off-road usage, where the GV will have slight edge, for everything else i'd prefer the Outlander. The Interiors feel premium, quality is easily class best, the MIVEC engine is excellent, the CVT gearbox is much superior than the one used in GV, for On-Road usage the Ride and Handling setup is much superior.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 20:08   #100
BHPian

Quote:
A good condition Grand Vitara AT will be tough to find. I'd recommend the newer 2.4 Grand Vitara over the weaker previous version, the 4 speed AT is an outdated box.

Finding a good Mitsubishi Outlander will be a much easier task. Except for off-road usage, where the GV will have slight edge, for everything else i'd prefer the Outlander. The Interiors feel premium, quality is easily class best, the MIVEC engine is excellent, the CVT gearbox is much superior than the one used in GV, for On-Road usage the Ride and Handling setup is much superior.
Getting 2.4L Grand Vitara AT, at an affordable price, seems well neigh impossible. Am also keeping the Outlander in mind. Thanks for ur advice. Will need to stretch my budget a bit for the Outlander. Hopefully should be able to do that by Dec.
Old 1st August 2013, 20:17   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK, I remember we discussed this on the GV thread a few days ago.
Yes, GV is a good offroader but that 4 speed AT is pathetic, but in any case get the 2.4L one. Sadly, Outlander does not have 4L. BTW, the Rexton MT has 4L but AT does not There was a Scorpio AT, not sure if it was offered in 4x4, that too with 4L.

Jeep Wrangler is launching soon, but I am not sure if it will be priced right. It will come with 190 BHP CRDi engine with proper 4L and 5 speed AT. Of course that 5 speed AT is not great compared to the DSGs of today, but we can live with it. The big question is - PRICE!!!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 08:44   #102
BHPian

Quote:
I love the sound of these Red Grille Horns.
How much did you pay for these? From reading around... I see that there are horns from Hella that are made in India and that the German ones were more durable?

I'd also like to change my speakers... (initially). Any recommendations?

What is the running in period? I will get my brute next week and needed to go to Kerala on the same weekend. Most of the running in would happen on the 6th gear. Advisable to drive this?
Old 15th October 2013, 12:15   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
How much did you pay for these? From reading around... I see that there are horns from Hella that are made in India and that the German ones were more durable?
These Horns cost around 1100-1400 bucks, a friend got them for me for close to 1000 bucks.

I have been using these Horns for a quite a long time (Pulsar, Indica, Accent, Elantra, Punto, now XUV 500), based on my personal experience the ones made in India are much more reliable, the German manufactured ones were prone to failure.
Old 18th October 2013, 22:43   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

For last few months my XUV has been running flawlessly. After the Ladakh trip the only issue with the car - Front suspension rattle was fixed and car has been absolutely niggle free, not a single niggle literally.

For last 2 days the starter motor was feeling weak, I ignored, blame it on lack of time. This evening after one hour's drive back from Delhi I left the car parked for half an hour and XUV refused to start again. The same kat kat sound I relate to dead battery from my previous car ownerships. Not shocking as I knew it was coming, but some urgent work had to be delayed by 20 mins.

Looking at the options, first thought was to call Mahindra care, but they would take time and it was not necessary. I had jump starter cables in the boot, so I called a friend who stays nearby, he arrives in his Embera, connected the cables and XUV is back in action. I did not switch it off for the rest of the short trip.

First thing i have scheduled for tomorrow morning is a visit to local Amaron battery dealer, I guess I will need a new battery. Will keep you updated.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th October 2013 at 22:45.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 20:31   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

It turned out to be dead battery . One cell was absolutely dead, and other one was weak. So i had to get a new battery. I bought Amaron battery with 2 years warranty for 4800 Rupees.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed