Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 09:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!

Congrats Anshuman, Wish you many happy miles on the AWD XUV. Even though plethora of used XUVs available in the used car market, AWD and pre-owned don't seem to come so easily, given that just a few of them are sold in the first place!

Agree with you on Music system part, it doesn't have either the clarity of Civic's or deep bass likes of Laura. Ditto for Mahindra Rise video! On a similar note, how do you find the plastics on door panels? I personally find them quite cheap by looks and fit n finish!

We have one more XUV coming to the family as a close friend is getting black XUV W8 with in this week (hopefully, by today or tomorrow only). I continuously keep on telling him what he is getting into, Mahindra electronics and niggle free aren't the terms that go hand in hand!!!

Hope to check out your car next time we meet in Gurgaon.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 09:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the XUV. You were lucky to find an AWD in the used car market, considering very few AWD's were sold in the first place.

On another note, went through your Punto thread and it is very good to know your 2009 Punto went for 4L. That is a very good price for a used Fiat with about ~60k on the clock. How much did the Punto cost you - 6.5 L..?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 20th February 2013 at 10:00.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 10:48   #18
BHPian

Congrats on the buy! As already mentioned, difficult to slot this one as pre-owned - exterior and interior both look showroom worthy. Just a few queries:

1 - I presume the warranty coverage doesn't get impacted by change of ownership - please let me know if it's otherwise in this case.

2 - Just to better understand your buying process - did you check with the dealer why the previous owner wanted to sell after maintaining it in this condition? (not that the dealer's response is going to be absolutely genuine, but to get a general feeler).

3 - In your experience thus far, has there been any issue with the brakes?

Once again - kudos on snagging a cheetah in its prime
Agarwaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 11:03   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Anshuman,

After having tested two cars together, I can safely say that you are amongst the best car reviewers I know. If a guy like you ends up buying an XUV, that does say a lot about the vehicle.

Heartiest congratulations! Now, will you please visit AutoPsyche and get rid of that hideous front grille? I'm sure Arush will come up with a good-looking replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Audio Quality for a vehicle of this price could have been better, or maybe I am spoiled by the excellent OE Audio system in my Laura.
Maybe just change the speakers and nothing else?

Drive safe. I'm sure you are going to have some mind-blowing long distance trips in your new ride.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 11:20   #20
BHPian

Congrats Anshuman. I would recommend Sri Durga any day for your routine services. If you opt. for gurgaon you can go for GSP Motors and ask for Harneet, my previous RM (gem of a person) if you need his number I can PM you.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 11:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats anshuman. So our moderators are really considering the used car market seriously.
Your XUV looks great and when I saw its pic on T-BHP's FB page, I never thought this could be a used car.
I wish you many happy miles of motoring with the beast and hope I don't see you post in the XUV niggles thread.

PS: Pics of the duster are indeed wallpaper material.
Old 20th February 2013, 15:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congratulations anshuman.

Quote:
  • The brakes could have done with better feel and feedback, and maybe a bit more assistance.
As far as I have read, M&M is giving free brake upgrades to all XUV owners which improved the bite and pedal feedback.

Quote:
The Mahindra Rise Video whenever the car is started, starts to irritate after a day.

It can be switched off.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 18:31   #23
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Anshuman!
Frankly, after the Punto and the Laura I was actually expecting a Yeti or X1 in the cross-over space

I have never been a fan of the XUV’s face, but otherwise, this particular number looks like a good choice. Pretty loaded on safety, and the interior color scheme looks nice too – much better the beige overload we have in our cars nowadays.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 00:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

It can be switched off.
Hi Raj,
I have only managed to mute it, would love to completely switch it off. Let me know how to.
Rohit
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:21   #25
BHPian

OT :-

i have been trying too hard to answer one question guys, but i am just tired now so i am just going to ask the experts.
My getz is now 70 k kms old and i need a new car, mostly suv for two reasons.
1) i stay in guwahati and floods are common here. small cars suffer a lot during monsoons &

2) I love love love exploring on my cars.

I have been thinking of buying either storme 4wd or xuv 500. heart wants xuv and mind says storme ( presence of low range )

I am quite sure that I am not going to do off roading in a 16 lakh car ever but i need a car which can be taken almost anywhere if not everywhere
which one makes more sense then ??
the price difference between xuv awd and storme 4wd is negligible here.

i am very very scared of TATA after sales service, but mahindra on other hand is steps ahead.

@ Anshuman :- I do not mean to hijack your thread here brother, just trying to ask for a perspective and suggestions. I hope i am not being stupid.

Last edited by blurust : 23rd February 2013 at 01:23.
Old 24th February 2013, 00:24   #26
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations, Anshuman -- and welcome to the XUV fraternity!

I had gone through your Ladakh travelogue (in your Laura) and loved every bit of it.

Looking for'd to your ownership reviews, especially performance of the AWD system. I have subjected my brand new XUV-W6 to some pretty bad (and steep) roads in North Sikkim and elsewhere over the last 4 months (and 9,800 KM) and there were some (3 or 4) occasions where I felt that I would have been better off with AWD. But my FWD managed to overcome all hurdles somehow, albeit with some huffing & puffing, thanks to a good torquey engine and 235 mm Bridgestone Duelers. However, I'm sure that crossing those hurdles would have been much easier with AWD.
debuda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 15:57   #27
BHPian

Many congrats Anshuman. Your new possession looks awesome in white color.

In fact, this thread and other similar ones have convinced me completely on the sound financial logic behind used car purchase. Sometimes, this logic is lost on the people who are driven by emotion.

BTW, like Debuda, I had also been closely following your Laura Leh travelogue. Man, if someone could do those tough terrains in an automatic sedan, why would one need an AWD SUV ever? I am sure you will take the XUV to even tougher terrains (hitherto, out of bounds for most other XUV owners).

Cheers!
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 17:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Anshuman, many congratulations for your XUV 500.
Hope to see many more TL with your XUV.
Wish you many happy miles with the car.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 17:26   #29
PGA
BHPian

Congrats on your great buy and a spot on analysis. I could not find a point to disagree on in the analysis however would request you to amplify on below mentioned aspect a little more for my knowledge.

Quote:
[*]Intelligent ECU controlled clutch pack based AWD, which can be switched locked in AWD mode, is very very quick to react, supplied by Borg Warner. Along with ESP and Traction control should be good enough for most requirements.
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:28   #30

Hearty congratulations and wish you millions of happy miles!!

I had considered this car very seriously but W8 variant was out of my budget and I didn't want to go for W6. I never thought of buying a used XUV because of the long list of niggles discussed on this forum but now, after reading your experience, I wish I should have considered that option too.

What is the production year/month of your Cheetah? It does look like brand new.

Congrats again!

Most Viewed