Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 11:53   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Just installed Hella Red grill horns on my XUV, a simple half an hour DIY. I have been using these horns for 13 years now.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114135.png

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114153.png

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114211.png

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130305_114211.png
Views:	3159
Size:	935.2 KB
ID:	1058484

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114303.png

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114350.png

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114415.png

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114437.png

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114807.png

Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114838.png
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!-forumrunner_20130305_114105.png  

.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 12:37   #32
BANNED

re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Just installed Hella Red grill horns on my XUV, a simple half an hour DIY. I have been using these horns for 13 years now.
The same pair of horns for 13 long years??!!

Quite long lasting I say.!!

Jokes apart, now that you have opened up the innards of the XUV, how bad are the plastics compared to the Laura? I know they are bad, but are they as flimsy as they are made out to be by most?
Old 5th March 2013, 14:41   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The same pair of horns for 13 long years??!!

Quite long lasting I say.!!

Jokes apart, now that you have opened up the innards of the XUV, how bad are the plastics compared to the Laura? I know they are bad, but are they as flimsy as they are made out to be by most?
This is sixth pair, newer locally manufactured ones are more reliable.

Quality of plastics in engine is decent enough, but design and fit is obviously nowhere close to Laura. For a desi SUV, the amount of thought and effort they've put in deserves appreciation, everything feels a giant leap ahead of Scorpio.

Next time you are in Gurgaon drop me a pm, i am curious to check out the MLD in your car.
Old 8th March 2013, 18:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Hi Raj,
I have only managed to mute it, would love to completely switch it off. Let me know how to.
Rohit
Really sorry for the late reply Rohit.

Yes, what I meant is that the sound can be turned off, that is, it can be muted. I dont think that 3-4 second RISE video can be switched OFF.
Old 8th March 2013, 21:46   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your complements guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I think this vehicle must have been from the initial batch of XUV , which had some niggles .
After getting the XUV , is there anything which you got serviced or checked.
Bdw how much did you pick it up for and also the on road price of a new awd XUV.
My XUV is a Feb 2012 manufactured vehicle. I am planning to visit service center next week to get the A/C fixed, the peak cooling performance right now is weak, i suspect a choked filter.

Will also check if the latest brake kits have arrived. Braking performance is perfectly alright, but there is slight squealing sound when coming to gentle halt at low speeds.

I paid roughly 4 lakh rupees(excluding zero dep insurance i got later) less than that of a brand new AWD's OTR price, now after the latest post budget hike make it 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
Congrats Anshuman.
I love this color on XUV..i would be watching your thread closely as i was waiting for somebody to write a report on an AWD XUV. I am planning to get it for myself in another 6-8 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Congrats Anshuman. Waiting for a detailed ownership report on the AWD in the coming weeks.
Even i was surprised to see no proper AWD reports on the forum or elsewhere on Internet. I will try to put up a report on AWD's performance off the road as soon as i get an opportunity to get her dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
With the Civic trend sparked off by GTO, do we see one for the XUV added to your credits?
There are already so many XUVs on the Forum, though this might be the first pre-worshipped car. XUV is selling in good numbers, so finding a good car is not a tough job, finding a bargain might be difficult though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I continuously keep on telling him what he is getting into, Mahindra electronics and niggle free aren't the terms that go hand in hand!!!

Hope to check out your car next time we meet in Gurgaon.
Fortunately all the electronics are working fine and unlike my expectation all of them are useful.

Other Gurgaon Team-BHP meet regulars have already driven my car, see you around next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Heartiest congratulations! Now, will you please visit AutoPsyche and get rid of that hideous front grille? I'm sure Arush will come up with a good-looking replacement.
That's what i was thinking, i will wait for some more time, if the design does not grow up on me, i'd surely consider going to Arush.

Quote:
Maybe just change the speakers and nothing else?
I plan to get Damping on doors first, then explore the possibility of replacing the speakers. Last time with my Punto, Speaker upgrade did not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post

1 - I presume the warranty coverage doesn't get impacted by change of ownership - please let me know if it's otherwise in this case.
Warranty is tranferable.

Quote:
Just to better understand your buying process - did you check with the dealer why the previous owner wanted to sell after maintaining it in this condition? (not that the dealer's response is going to be absolutely genuine, but to get a general feeler).
I did not ask because i did not expect a honest reply, whatever the reason for selling was, it did not matter to me as long as the car was fine.

Quote:
In your experience thus far, has there been any issue with the brakes?
Except the occasional noise, no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Congrats Anshuman. I would recommend Sri Durga any day for your routine services. If you opt. for gurgaon you can go for GSP Motors and ask for Harneet, my previous RM (gem of a person) if you need his number I can PM you.
I'd prefer going to a local dealer in Gurgaon initially, if the local dealer is not competent enough i'd consider going to Sri Durga Auto. Please PM me your RM's number, and also the address of service station. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hearty congratulations anshuman.
[/list]As far as I have read, M&M is giving free brake upgrades to all XUV owners which improved the bite and pedal feedback.

It can be switched off.
I will check with the local dealer for brake upgrade clip.

Thanks for the tip, i fiddled with the infotainment system and found the option to mute the audion in the start up clip, it is not much of a bother now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations Anshuman!
Frankly, after the Punto and the Laura I was actually expecting a Yeti or X1 in the cross-over space
I do not really like the X1(is it really a crossover?), though i love the Yeti, but the drive feel is too similar to my Laura. A lot of factors contributed to my decision of not buying the Yeti, will surely list them sometime later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I had gone through your Ladakh travelogue (in your Laura) and loved every bit of it.
Debuda, even i have been following your fantastic travelogues.

Quote:
Looking for'd to your ownership reviews, especially performance of the AWD system. I have subjected my brand new XUV-W6 to some pretty bad (and steep) roads in North Sikkim and elsewhere over the last 4 months (and 9,800 KM) and there were some (3 or 4) occasions where I felt that I would have been better off with AWD. But my FWD managed to overcome all hurdles somehow, albeit with some huffing & puffing, thanks to a good torquey engine and 235 mm Bridgestone Duelers. However, I'm sure that crossing those hurdles would have been much easier with AWD.
Surely, will keep the thread updated. Even i plan to take my XUV to some punishing remote areas in himalayas as soon as the passes open up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
BTW, like Debuda, I had also been closely following your Laura Leh travelogue. Man, if someone could do those tough terrains in an automatic sedan, why would one need an AWD SUV ever? I am sure you will take the XUV to even tougher terrains (hitherto, out of bounds for most other XUV owners).
If Laura can do the regular Ladakh route, then my XUV will surely take me to far more remote locations, watch this thread.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th March 2013 at 01:40.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 22:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming next week- XUV vs Rexton comparison report
Wow, that would be really interesting .
Few days back I saw a Rexton on the road and it definitely has got some good road presence .
Eagerly waiting for the review.
Cheers
Old 9th March 2013, 09:22   #37
BHPian

The XUV v/s Rexton review would really be something to look forward to. My brother's TD'en both and feels that the XUV is far superior to the Rexton ! I would probably agree on the space front but a detailed comparison between the snazzy new Indian kid and its more matured Korean brother would be very interesting. If indeed the comparison gives the XUV a thumbs up, what does it spell for M&M's reading of the market?

While this is of course a great idea, just curious as to what prompted this comparison (pricing is significantly different), the battle of the M&M beastie boys? :-)
Old 9th March 2013, 11:21   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
While this is of course a great idea, just curious as to what prompted this comparison (pricing is significantly different), the battle of the M&M beastie boys? :-)
I have access to both the vehicles right now, in last one month i have spent more time with Rexton than XUV. Agreed both are as different as chalk and cheese, so is their positioning.
Old 9th March 2013, 11:52   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have access to both the vehicles right now, in last one month i have spent more time with Rexton than XUV. Agreed both are as different as chalk and cheese, so is their positioning.
Love the Idea of comparing the XUV vs Rexton as also would love someone to do a Storme vs Fortuner, or a Yeti vs XUV - Which too you would do in some time am sure. How about a XUV vs Rexton vs Yeti?

Congrats on the deal.
Old 9th March 2013, 12:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Love the Idea of comparing the XUV vs Rexton as also would love someone to do a Storme vs Fortuner, or a Yeti vs XUV - Which too you would do in some time am sure. How about a XUV vs Rexton vs Yeti?

Congrats on the deal.
There is already an excellent report on Yeti vs XUV put up by Behemoth. Will try my best to do it.
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:45   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

The A/C in my XUV was not cooling well in the afternoon sun, so i booked an appointment at Sri Durga Auto, Rama Road, New Delhi.

The next day when i arrived there to leave my car, i was surprised the operator who took the call and booked the appointment, and gave me a call back to confirm my appointment, did not book the appointment for me. Result was, they accepted the car but i was long back in the queue, despite reaching the service center real early. They had also promised to drop me at the nearest metro station, but they could not do so because they claimed due to road repair work outside the main gate was blocked, i entered through the same gate and even when i left there was cars entering and leaving.

Apart from the minor niggles i complained about, they also promised to carry out the replacement according to the recent recall from Mahindra. According to them my car was eligible for only Power steering hose and wiper edge replacement. I also asked them to fit a camera, we had got a camera fitted in my Friend's Rexton the previous week, it was working fine and was quite helpful for reversing, so i decided to get one for my XUV since this was just a bolt on job, just like the Rexton. Other minor niggles i reported were- Brake noise and other very minor stuff.

The car was at the service center for next 2 days, i called up the Manish, the RM, he told me my car would be ready the next day. Also, they had moved my car to their other workshop in Mayapuri, without my permission.

The next day, the 3rd day i got a call from Manish, to inform me that my car was ready and i will have to go to Mayapuri to pick up my car. Since there is no Metro in Mayapuri, i asked a friend to drop me to the workshop.

Manish had given me name and number of the RM who would deliver the car to me and explain the work done to the car. It took me close to 45 minutes to find the RM, another 25 minutes to make the payment, and 20 minutes to find the RM again. The RM checked my receipt and gate pass, and told me that my car was ready and i can take it. Despite my repeated requests, he could not explain all the work done to my car, as he was busy with other stuff and his phone was constantly buzzing.

Back to my car- my XUV was parked in a queue behind 3-4 cars, with no place to take the car out, the RM had vanished again, no one had a clue how to remove the car, the security guard had no clue.

The car was in bad condition, under a thick coat of dust, all the windows down, interiors had a thick coat of dust too. The music was turned on in full volume, which the cleaner was enjoying, trying to clean my car was small dry cloth. Wipers were running in stati I had vacuum cleaned the car at home, the previous weekend, and now they have managed to clog every thing with dust, even A/C vents had a generous dose of dust.

I was desperate to check the camera, i switched on the car and engaged the reverse gear, nothing happened, the had put in the camera but forgot to connect it. So the task to find the RM started again, somehow i got hold of him and he promised to get it fixed and he vanished again. Some technician worked in my car and announced that camera was working.

Finally i decided to leave, since no one was responding, there is normally no point in screaming and shouting at these service station. But to my shock, the camera was showing the world upside down. The technician who fixed the camera at first attempt did not even check if it was working, then at the second attempt when he made it work did not check that it was mounted upside down. Found the RM again, and he got 3 people tom fix it, they just hit the camera, popped it out, twisted it and hammered it in again, then announced it will work fine now. This is how they treat their premium cars.

I am shocked on the way they treat the customer's cars. Icing on the cake- they've scratched the left rear door of my absolutely scratchless car, and the brake pads are still making noise with occasional brake pads worn error. Calling a Service advisor, RM does sound premium, but does not really make it a different person. Mahindra, you have a long way to go, especially with such service partners. And i am talking about Sri Durga Auto, one of the most reputed dealers for Mahindra in NCR. I just hope the service support does not turn out to be as bad as the Tata-Fiat support i experienced during my Punto ownership.

BTW, my friend who just bought a Rexton was with me when all this happened, the expression on his face was priceless. He was expecting a Toyota like treatment. The next day his car went into limp mode, and the Mahindra dealer in Hisar even refused to take a look at the car, his call to customer care helpline was useless too with a standard reply "We will get back to you soon Sir"

Also, i had requested specifically not to call the previous owner of the car whenever the car is ready. They called and managed to annoy the previous owner, with everything ranging 'from you car is ready' to feedback calls.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd March 2013 at 11:56.
.anshuman is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:30   #42
BANNED

Quote:
The A/C in my XUV was cooling well in the afternoon sun, so i booked an appointment at Sri Durga Auto, Rama Road, New Delhi.
Seems like you are enjoying the Mahindra Service

Jokes apart, these problems don't even have anything to do with the technical know-how of the vehicle, this is purely unprofessional work by th Dealership.
I believed the only Major problem with the XUV were the little niggles, brake noises, PS failure, quality problems etc. I didn't have the idea that it also suffers from VW/Skoda type A.S.S. problems. Especially, when they considered the XUV to be their premium offering and even appointed "Relationship Managers" for Customers!

With the Parts replacement already underway, I sincerely hope that the next step is teaching the "Relationship Managers" to establish better relations...
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:23   #43
SDP
Team-BHP Support

.anshuman, sorry to hear the bad service experience.

What I don't understand is, why do these people need a stick before they start behaving responsibly. I don't believe its a competency issue. Its an attitude issue. I am pretty sure, you would have escalated to customer-care already.

For my first 2-3 visits, I have consistently given low rating when they call for feedback and expressed my displeasure at the amount of time it takes to get anything done. Once I was the first one in the morning (with a proper appointment) and last one out of the service center at 6:30pm. Gave a piece of my mind to the RM right there about all the other cars with all sorts of flags that get preferential treatment.

Taking care of the customer's car is still an issue that the service-centers don't understand. During the visit 3 weeks back, my car got its first ding and first scratch. If I can manage not to get a scratch/ding for 7 months, why can't the service center manage to do the same during the 30 hours that the car was with them? Anyways.

You mentioned a problem with the AC in your post. Can you share a few details about what they did about the problem?
Also how much did you pay for the reverse-camera? The accessory prices seems to have fallen considerably since launch.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd March 2013 at 12:25.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:32   #44
BANNED

Quote:
I am shocked on the way they treat the customer's cars.
I can relate to few things that happened to you but not all. I find the ac running on full blast, sound systems on on full volume and the cleaners using dirty pieces of cloth to clean the cars. This is why I m with Hariya, always, at every service.

But the other points you ve mentioned about the car being shifted to another workshop, without your permission, the windows being down resulting in dusty interiors, issues not be attended to properly, the way the reverse camera was re fitted etc, these are issues which are really irritating. I feel you should get hold of your RM and complain. In case you feel he is too busy to listen to you and solve your issues, please escalate it liberally up the M&M ladder. I m sure they'll respond positively.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The next day his car went into limp mode, and the Mahindra dealer in Hisar even refused to take a look at the car,
What exactly went wrong with the new Rexton?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks