Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2013, 09:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Much Loved, Ever Hated Toyota Prius - 140,000 kms!

That's a short and sweet yet fairly detailed review of the Prius. Thanks for sharing it and spreading the 'Hybrid' story to all of us here at Team-BHP. As you rightly said, the Prius seems to be a hater's favorite initially, but those who have owned it just love the car and vouch for its strengths. I have heard this from a friend who lives in USA too. It's a pity that we in India aren't able to own one, given the ridiculous duties and taxes that the car attracts being a CBU import.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of sound does the Prius make when it is running in pure EV mode (in speeds less than 50 km/h)? Does it produce any artificial noise or is it absolutely silent until the I.C.Engine kicks in?
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 11:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
The hybrid power train comes with a 8 year/150 000 km guarantee. The battery pack is expected to cost ~25 000 SEK (~ 2.1L INR). Battery changes however, are very rare. Read about several 300 000 km + Prius's still running on the original battery pack!
That is pretty amazing for an Electric Car. You were right it - It truly is a fill (or more appropriately, plug) it, shut it, forget it car! Toyota quality shows.
Batfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 17:51   #18
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the excellent review Anekho.

Prius is one unfortunate machine which has been joked / loathed across the world; in Hollywood movies, by auto pundits, or even by folks who have not driven or sat inside one, for a combination of two reasons – (1) it’s a Toyota, and (2) it’s a hybrid

For me, (until the launch of the GT86) Prius was the best car from Toyota in recent years for the very reason you have mentioned – it made the Hybrid technology accessible to the masses, with no compromise on the usability and reliability.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 17:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post

Most parts of the world have diesel and petrol priced fairly similarly
You are right. I am in Milan, Italy since last one month and I have noticed that the price difference is about 15-20 cents. Also have noticed quite a few Prius used as taxis here.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 20:59   #20
BHPian

Since we launched Prius,2 years back, we have sold 100+ cars in India, the car is well accepted by our customers. It is just that we pay a massive import duty of >120%+ or so, that makes it expensive.

Andy

Last edited by Grace : 17th March 2013 at 21:04.
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 03:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the appreciation guys!

Been trying to dig up dyno charts for the Prius but I haven't been able to find any! Will post them (if) when I find them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what kind of sound does the Prius make when it is running in pure EV mode (in speeds less than 50 km/h)? Does it produce any artificial noise or is it absolutely silent until the I.C.Engine kicks in?
Absolutely silent. Of course, you can hear tire/wind noise but otherwise, just silence! Because things get really quiet at times, you find other noises (like the AC) really intrusive. In other cars these wouldn't bother you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Prius is one unfortunate machine which has been joked / loathed across the world; in Hollywood movies, by auto pundits, or even by folks who have not driven or sat inside one, for a combination of two reasons – (1) it’s a Toyota, and (2) it’s a hybrid
Indeed vb-san. It'll take time but I'm sure more people will eventually warm up to the Prius! The fact that more "desirable" brands like Porsche and Ferrari are now also exploring Hybrid options will aide the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Since we launched Prius,2 years back, we have sold 100+ cars in India, the car is well accepted by our customers. It is just that we pay a massive import duty of >120%+ or so, that makes it expensive.

Andy
Interesting figure, Andy! That's quite good for a niche product, I guess. Been toying with the idea of test-driving a Prius in India for a while now - would be an interesting experience/comparison. Maybe this summer!
Old 19th March 2013, 11:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for sharing your views on a car I am, and probably many are totally clueless about.

This Toyota was not designed to be a looker or be a drivers car in any sense of it. Practicality and reliability is what its all about and on these two fronts, it probably exceeds one's expectations as a car.

For the miles you have clocked, there is no car in India that I know of that can pull this off. The weather and dust conditions simply destroy a car. If I could scrub the engine in my car, I would have my guard do it every single day along with washing the rest of the car. Your car looks brand new after 7 years. I am sure it drives almost new as well.

If you keep the Prius under speeds where only the electric motors are driving the car, for how long can the car keep going? As in miles clocked under electric traction.

How is battery charging achieved when power runs out? I know the engine and the brakes take care of this but how much time is required to juice up the electrics again.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 23:01   #23
BHPian

Congrats for spending all those years with the Prius. 1.4lakh kms is amazing. Only Toyota vehicles can pull up such a feat. Kindly post some interior snaps as well highlighting the gadgetry you mentioned.
Happy operating!!!
Utopian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 14:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Thank you for sharing your views on a car I am, and probably many are totally clueless about.

If you keep the Prius under speeds where only the electric motors are driving the car, for how long can the car keep going? As in miles clocked under electric traction.

How is battery charging achieved when power runs out? I know the engine and the brakes take care of this but how much time is required to juice up the electrics again.
Thanks sandeepmohan! On pure electric mode you could probably squeeze 3 kms or so of sedate driving. That's not much and the Prius works best in hybrid mode when both motors can be utilized!

It's hard to say how long the battery takes to juice up as it rarely ever is charged fully. The process is dynamic and you're constantly using and charging the battery - the net result is that it almost has 75% charge.

There is however a nice, 1 km long, downhill section nearby and whenever I coast down that hill the battery charges completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for spending all those years with the Prius. 1.4lakh kms is amazing. Only Toyota vehicles can pull up such a feat. Kindly post some interior snaps as well highlighting the gadgetry you mentioned.
Happy operating!!!
Thank you Utopian, will do soon!
anekho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 14:21   #25
BHPian

Thanks for sharing information on Prius. You mentioned that you have not faced any issue. Does that mean the car is still on the OEM batteries? I hear Reva needs a battery pack change once every 3-5years.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 16:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Thanks for sharing information on Prius. You mentioned that you have not faced any issue. Does that mean the car is still on the OEM batteries? I hear Reva needs a battery pack change once every 3-5years.
The same Q entered my mind too. Has the battery never been replaced in 7 years? If so then that really is amazing. I guess the fact that this is a different type of technology (Hybrid) when compared to the one in the Reva (Fully Electric) the battery does not undergo the type of strain as the Reva.
A Reva which is much smaller and lighter does 80 km under ideal conditions on a single charge and the battery which is very expensive needs to be replaced every 3-5 years as mentioned by Mac187.

I personally much prefer the Hybrid Technology than the Fully Electric one.

Could you also share the cost of servicing over the last 1,40,000 kms.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 16:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Thanks sandeepmohan! On pure electric mode you could probably squeeze 3 kms or so of sedate driving. That's not much and the Prius works best in hybrid mode when both motors can be utilized!
You mentioned mostly the prius is battery maneuvered under 50kmph, is there any exact cut off speed or is it load based ? I read long back that the prius always stays in battery mode until 30kmph - what is the fact ?

OT - Man i envy you for owning a Prius !!! Just like you, i would like to buy the car for it's technology ! Thanks to the ~30 lakhs price tag in India!
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 22:45   #28
BHPian

[quote=anekho;
Interesting figure, Andy! That's quite good for a niche product, I guess. Been toying with the idea of test-driving a Prius in India for a while now - would be an interesting experience/comparison. Maybe this summer![/QUOTE]

Let me know in which Indian city are you put up, will arrange for a test drive there. Be mentally prepared that once the order is placed, it takes approx 4 months for the delivery.

off topic: I recently met a customer in Mumbai region, wherein she claims she gets a mileage of 28 kms to a litre of petrol. As you know ,the technology, it is a car for city driving. The regenerative technology recharges the battery when ever you brake resulting in the less utility of petrol motor and more utilization of the electric motor. I am not surprised with poor mileage of 18 kms that you get, as your driving is more in the highways. It is the lack of awareness and a frightening customs duty that keeps customers away.

Andy

Last edited by Grace : 20th March 2013 at 22:54.
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 23:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

anekho, congrats on that achievement. Here in India, the Prius is neither loved nor hated, it is a 30L (overpriced Toyota) mystery.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 20th March 2013 at 23:54.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 23:56   #30
BHPian

Finally I get to read a review about the prius that a person who has spent more than a few hours with the car has written. 1,40,000 kms!!!*clap*
To me the prius has always been like that gadget that everyone wants to own. I am a happy Toyota customer on the all fronts especially for the reliability. Good to know that even their hybrid technology is just as reliable.
Wish you many more smiles with the prius.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks