Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 09:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire

What has changed...is the length - it has reduced now
What has changed...is the cabin interior - it is plusher now
What has changed...is the width and the wheelbase - it is wider and longer now
What has changed...is the power-to-weight ratio - the fuel efficiency is slightly better now
What has changed...is the boot design - it has become more quirky now
What has changed...is the boot capacity - it has reduced considerably now

What has not changed...is the position in terms of sales - it has maintained the top 3 position
What has not changed...is the value-for-money proposition - it still has the killer package
What has not changed...is the engine - it still has the same speced, profoundly reliable 1.3L diesel engine
What has not changed...is Maruti's obsession with including the word "Swift" in the moniker
What has not changed...is the overall cost of ownership - it still doesn't make your wallet that much thinner

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00839.jpg

And
What has NOT changed...is my love for this car - I still love my Dzire for what it is!

However
What HAS changed...is the odo reading - yesterday at 18:59 hrs, the ECU sent a command instruction to the dashboard module to display 50000!

Last edited by JoshMachine : 14th April 2013 at 11:05.
JoshMachine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 13:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Celebrating 50,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire

"So close, no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters..."

----------------------------

Flashback to 1997:- Into my late teens and had just got my driving license when the RTO inspector boomed - "in order to be a good driver, it is not enough to just obey the traffic rules, you should also know your vehicle enough!"
Fast forward to 2013:-The significance of that golden rule has not lost on me after driving for 16 years now (being the family's lone saarthi) and being behind the steering of myriad of family and friends' vehicles - Omni, 800, Scorpio, City, Alto and finally the Dzire.

Circa 2011:- The 1st year of Dzire's ownership was simply great. And it being a Maruti, the "kitna deti hai?" was really a non-issue. Got a FE of ~18km/l on the congested city roads and ~22 km/l when stretched on the highway, all this with almost 90% A.C. running.
Completion of the 1st year also saw commencement of niggles - dashboard rattles, door squeaking et al. But the car's overall road manners and the ride quality remained very satisfactory under varying road conditions (over expressway, ghats and the post-monsoon city roads).

Circa 2012:- The car odo read 40,000 km and the cumulative cost of ownership/servicing was as per expectations. This is because I went to the same M.A.S.S for majority of the services and followed the service schedule by the book.

Circa 11 April 2013:- The car odo read 50,000 km and still there have been no big surprises on the cost of ownership. Touchwood!

Penning a list of likes and dislikes...
What I like:-
  • the car's heart - yes, the ever reliable 1248cc diesel engine and the associated mind blowing fuel efficiency
  • the boot - meant the humongous 464 liter capacity (and not the design)
  • the simple looking instrument panel
  • excellent driver-on-top seat position
  • the torquey punch past 2000 rpm
  • effortless power steering
  • short and accurate gear throw
  • Maruti's excellent after sales service
What I don't like:-
  • the large A-pillar blocking the driver's view specially on those sharp turns
  • inadequate braking efficiency (though this has been mitigated to a great extent, more on this later)
  • absence of a dead pedal
  • the boot lift ("down" should i say) mechanism
  • rear view visibility
  • absence of USB port on the OEM stereo
The inside story

Smashing, extraordinary - No, these are not the adjectives to be used when describing the interior view.
Simple, neat - Yes, maybe tending towards classy.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00853.jpg

There is no feeling of plushness as such once you get inside but definitely a "big car" feeling courtesy the curved curved dashboard design.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00849.jpg

We chose the coffee colored seats...pleasing to the eye and adds to the big car effect. Easily washable too.

Grey black interiors look dull but atleast the dirt doesn't annouce itself so often.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00852.jpg

As mentioned above, the driver's seat position is spot-on and you get an excellent view of the road ahead. Being a 6-footer, I really covet this view...

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00855.jpg

The front seats are large, you fit in snugly and don't feel the need of those small back pillows.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00856.jpg
The seat height adjusters are present only in the top-end Z variant only.

The back seat is reclined and recessed as compared to the hatchback sibling with additional side bolstering to provide extra comfort on those long rides.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00858.jpg
Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00860.jpg

For people who want to have that feeling of being chauffered (definitely not me!!), there's a center arm-rest.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00862.jpg

The floor hump does cause some problem to the 5th passenger.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00865.jpg

You are reading about the interiors and how come there's no mention of the audio setup...well the OEM stereo is typically, OEM-like. No fancy features here, but considering that this car was manufactured a full decade after the dawn of the digital millennium, ek USB port toh mangta hai!

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00870.jpg

Got a workaround though - bought the RedFox wireless modulator (ships with a remote) for just 500 bucks. This fits in the 12v socket.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00871.jpg
The red "tongue" is the USB drive actually.

Unlike the new-gen Dzire, this one has no tweeters, just 4 speakers - 2 each in front door panels and 2 on the rear parcel tray with the audio quality decent having 6 pre-set equalizer settings.
Anyways, whenever I want to do some acoustic exercise, I head back to the music room back at home.

The instrument panel comprises large dials and is easy to read both during day and night. Clearly the word MID was not in the Suzuki engineer's design manual when they thought of this model. The chrome linings give a nice touch, specially when the slanted late afternoon sun rays reflect off them.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00879.jpg

This one has become my mobile wallpaper now!

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-img2013040700127.jpg

The horn pad is sensitive and emits a two-tone sound (the wiring is also quite sensitive by the way, had to get it repaired 3-4 times)

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00883.jpg

The light/wiper stalks are chunky and make a damped clicking sound at every operation.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00884.jpg
Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00885.jpg

The foot well width is decent enough but I sorely miss the dead pedal.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00889.jpg

A good part though is the gap between the clutch pedal and the panel above, no knee bruising for me!

The gearstick is short, accurate and smooth to use, the knob plastic material could have been softer.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00895.jpg

The front driver door gets 1-touch AUTO window down button and the all-window lock/unlock button. Not much storage space.The arm rest is covered with textured fabric and fits right for your arm irrespective of the seat position you are in.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00898.jpg
Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00900.jpg

Chrome scales try to break the monotony of the dull grey trims.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00902.jpg

The rear doors have space for 1-liter bottles and a shorter arm rest.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00906.jpg

The air-conditioner cools the cabin pretty quickly - auto control only in top variant. The middle air con vents do not close completely like the side vents.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00913.jpg

Speaking of cooling, the Garware Classic sun films do a good job of keeping the heat outside.

The glove compartment is not so big, there's the service book and then there is hardly any space left.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00916.jpg

Another Maruti trademark - plenty of cubby holes, this one just ahead of the gear stick.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00919.jpg

Poor rear visibility is easily the bane of this car...courtesy the high rear parcel tray.
Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00920.jpg

As a workaround, got the rear sensors installed during delivery itself. The rear view "Screen" mirror doesn't help much but is better than the stock mirror.
It shows the distance-to-object in meters and warns you to stop with LOUD beep sound if you get within 1 meter of the object at the back.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00923.jpg

However the ORVMs are large and provide good field of view. They have to be manually operated.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00922.jpg

The boot capacity is best-in-class with a massive 464 liter capacity.
The talking point of the car!!

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00926.jpg

Ideally the wafer-thin boot should remain in position when lifted but this one is highly dangerous and falls down if you don't push it back. My preference would be to have some sort of piston-like arrangement but then this would have eaten into the INR 40,000 margin Maruti makes on this car.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00928.jpg

Last edited by JoshMachine : 14th April 2013 at 14:09.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 13:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

The selling point of the automobile - the 1.3L engine.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00932.jpg

The engine noise is pretty much controlled unlike some other contemporary motors and it settles into a nice rhythmic idle. Ratings are power output of 75 bhp @ peak 4000 rpm and peak torque of 190 Nm @ peak 2000 rpm.

Under 2000 rpm, there is a definite lag - but this is the reason why that turbo punch past 2k rpm is very pronounced and helps you overtake that irritating multi-axle truck in a flash. I have driven the new-gen diesel but the power delivery is linear there and hence the punch is missing

This motor has a liking for the higway tar - the speedo needle can caress the 120km/h mark easily (haven't tried beyond that) with the tacho needle in the 2300-2800 rpm range. And on ghats too, I have never found the need to rev beyond 3000 rpm.

As for the maintenance, I have been using the standard Maruti Genuine Diesel Oil (MGDO) 15W40 Shell engine oil and the 75W90 Shell gear oil.

No additives, no engine flushes.

Battery is still factory-fitted.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 14:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

The outside story

To start with, 10/10 marks to the car "caring" soldiers. I have been using these products for quite a long time and would strongly recommend procuring them even though a few might be tad expensive.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00969.jpg
Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-img2013032300117.jpg

The car is shampooed and waxed every 3 weeks. And cleaned with the Jopasu duster daily, well almost.

The result, as seen from the outside, has been satisfactory so far...

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00936001.jpg
Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00939.jpg
Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00942.jpg

Neat compact headlamp design, however the gap between the HL and the bonnet is a bit too much in my opinion.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00933.jpg

With powerful fog lights...

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00948.jpg

Replaced the stock Maruti Holonix head lights with Philips Extreme Vision H4 (with same 55/60 wattage) - difference has been amazing in both the "throw" and the "intensity". Certainly helps me a lot in my return drive on the highway to home after dusk.

This one is for the low beam, you can notice the slight white color tone

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00955.jpg
Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00952.jpg

And now for the high beam...

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00956.jpg
Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00953.jpg

Here's the cartridge cover for your reference...

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-philips-extreme-vision-bulb-cartridge.jpg

And how can the story be complete without some insignia!!

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00848.jpg

And this one among the sensors...yeah! Live to Drive!

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00941.jpg

For the aesthetics, put a small spoiler on the boot - don't think any serious air flow control will be at play given that the average speed is sub-100 km/h.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00847.jpg

Finally, coming to the last section, a bit about the tyres. I replaced the stock 165/80 MRFs with 185/70 Aceleres around the 40,000km mark - the difference has been HUGE. I had almost made the decision to buy the Yokos but the dealer enticed me with a good discount and a 3-year Apollo roadside assistance package.

Celebrating 4 years & 85,000 kms - Ownership experience of my Maruti Dzire-dsc00957.jpg

The car now feels settled with more and better quality rubber coming in contact with the asphalt, the ride quality has improved significantly and braking too has become more predictable. Hardly any impact on the fuel efficiency.

On the braking, I mentioned earlier about the efficiency being very poor. I put an enquiry to Maruti on their website regarding the brake booster (thanks TBHP) and was immediately put in touch with the M.A.S.S who although didn't replace the booster, but did wonders in terms of overhauling the entire brake assembly comprising calipers, pads, discs et al.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 15:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

If I were to summarize my entire ownership experience of the Dzire, I would associate it with one of my all time fav song by Metallica:-

"So close, no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters

Never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters..."

It all started with liking the car first, then finding a sense of belonging and trust and finally staying that way...and that's all that mattered. Nothing else.

And as a parting thought, I have grouped all the photos into this super-exposed grainy video with James Hetfield playing the 6-string in the background...

Regards
JoshMachine
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 15:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Old 14th April 2013, 16:08   #7
BANNED

Congrats on covering the 50K kms mark.

Good review with the needed quality pictures to support.

The dashboard feels simple and uncluttered for its time. How do find the reflection of the dash on the windshield in the noon sunlight?

Can you share the service details like parts replaced and costs incurred for each service?

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 14th April 2013, 16:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congrats on covering the 50K kms mark.

Good review with the needed quality pictures to support.

The dashboard feels simple and uncluttered for its time. How do find the reflection of the dash on the windshield in the noon sunlight?

Can you share the service details like parts replaced and costs incurred for each service?

Cheers,
Anurag.
Thanks Anurag.
The uncluttered dashboard is a boon while driving at night.
Actually for me, the reflection of the dashboard has never been a problem - maybe because of my high seating position.

Till date, I have spent close to INR 28k for the regular services (includes 3 free + 4 paid services) and some minor running repairs. All parts are factory fitted till date hence no additional expenses incurred.
Old 14th April 2013, 16:29   #9
BHPian

Nice car (love the space) and review there! 50K in less than 3 years is a lot of driving my friend.

By the way, what is this "Water Magnet" all about?

Not nitpicking, but I think they're silver scales and not chrome (?). Or maybe my eyes are cheating me.

Last edited by hellmet : 14th April 2013 at 16:31.
Old 14th April 2013, 16:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

@hellmet - thanks.
The Water Magnet is a microfiber towel used for quick drying. As compared to the "yellow" cloth, it leaves no water stains nor it leaves any scratch swirls.
Old 14th April 2013, 18:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review. You managed to keep your light color seat covers really clean even after 50,000kms. Where as i just struggle to keep my interiors including seat cover so clean even after 20,000kms. You have really maintained your car well.
Old 15th April 2013, 09:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review with some good pics! Congrats on crossing the 50K milestone!
I completely agree with your likes/dislikes except the braking because mine is ZDI which comes with ABS. I have crossed 53K Kms and the replaced parts are the brake pads and tyres(changed to XM2 from stock JKs @48K)

Regarding RedFox wireless modulator, does it bring down the quality of the music? Please let me know your feedback on this.
Old 15th April 2013, 09:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Nice review. You managed to keep your light color seat covers really clean even after 50,000kms. Where as i just struggle to keep my interiors including seat cover so clean even after 20,000kms. You have really maintained your car well.
Thanks Samba
Maintenance of the seats is indeed a difficult task - I just try to set some groundrules - for e.g. no eating when inside the car...also I drive with the A.C on for most of the time...this helps in keeping the dust outside to a great extent and thus indirectly you have less things to clean.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 10:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Nice review with some good pics! Congrats on crossing the 50K milestone!
I completely agree with your likes/dislikes except the braking because mine is ZDI which comes with ABS. I have crossed 53K Kms and the replaced parts are the brake pads and tyres(changed to XM2 from stock JKs @48K)

Regarding RedFox wireless modulator, does it bring down the quality of the music? Please let me know your feedback on this.
Hey thanks mate. Your ZDI should feel, I guess, even better with some more features (read: audio controls on steering) on it.

By using the RedFox, the quality does not get affected but you do have to raise the volume levels to match that of the CD music or your regular FM radio.
Since the wireless modulator can be set to a altogether different frequency band as compared to the FM freq band, you can avoid the interference with the FM frequency range and thus maintain the same audio quality.
Hope this helps.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 16:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
The outside story

To start with, 10/10 marks to the car "caring" soldiers. I have been using these products for quite a long time and would strongly recommend procuring them even though a few might be tad expensive.

Attachment 1073455
Attachment 1073463
Excellent Review. Being a new owner of the Dzire your ride is a morale booster on having made the right decision. Keep us posted on more updates.

The cleaning products you have mentioned above, can these be brought online?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks