Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 20:30   #31
BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The battery is dead. Classic symptoms of dead battery.
I suspected the same. Thank you for confirming
Old 14th January 2017, 19:21   #32
BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
However, on a recent trip I averaged ~100 kmph for an extended period, and ended up with a mileage of 19 kmpl over a 400 km distance. Amazing I say!

19 kilometres to a litre from the 1.8 litre petrol? Can any other Altis owners get similar fuel economy on highways? It's too good for me, have got a used Altis a week back.
Old 14th January 2017, 20:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
19 kilometres to a litre from the 1.8 litre petrol? Can any other Altis owners get similar fuel economy on highways? It's too good for me, have got a used Altis a week back.
I have a 2006 Corolla, not Altis, and I get a maximum of 15 on the highways and max 11 in the city. Have never got more than 15.

KK
Old 14th January 2017, 21:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

I have a 2006 Corolla, not Altis, and I get a maximum of 15 on the highways and max 11 in the city. Have never got more than 15.

KK
At what speeds do you drive? With air con or without? Some owners opine that in speeds above and below the band of 100-120 kph, the economy drops.
Old 16th January 2017, 08:57   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Nineteen km a liter must have been a display on the MID , and not a calculated number from distance travelled by fuel used.

I have owned the AT and MT Corollas and can vouch for their fuel efficiency.The max that I have got is 16kmpl under careful driving,which itself is fantastic.A six speed gear box would make it 18-19kmpl easily but sadly that isn't a priority for Toyota.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th January 2017 at 09:51.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 10:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 4.5 years, 51000 kms. Running well...very well!

I recently did a Pune-Nasik-Pune trip and got around 17kmpl from my Corolla. The AC was used 80% of the time.

Last month while going to Ahmedabad the car returned around 16.88kmpl On our way back it gave 15kmpl due to heavy traffic in Mumbai and on the MPEW. AC was used all the time.

All calculations done on the tank to tank basis after the first cut off.

I believe 80-100kmph is the sweet spot for the 1zz-fe engine. Most importantly when cruising at speeds beyond 70kmph you can overtake or close a gap by just a slight dab on the throttle. No down shifting is required, this is something I love about this engine. The overall drivability is fantastic. Climbing the old khandala ghat in the second gear with ease.

Has anyone changed the driver seat of the Corolla to the adjustable one? I have the 1.8 H1 J. It gets me all the safety features but the only 2 things I miss are the ACC and adjustable driver seat.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 16th January 2017 at 10:40.
Old 16th January 2017, 10:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Nineteen km a liter must have been a display on the MID , and not a calculated number from distance travelled by kms driven.
Exactly. I took my Altis for the first highway trip yesterday, and the MID showed some amazing numbers . But a back of the hand calculation said that the economy was around 17 km/per litre. My speed was in the band of 70 to 90, and I felt that to be more than enough.

Quote:
I have owned the AT and MT Corollas and can vouch for their fuel efficiency.The max that I have got is 16kmpl under careful driving,which itself is fantastic.A six speed gear box would make it 18-19kmpl easily but sadly that isn't a priority for Toyota.
A six speed would have been wonderful. The car has ample pulling power in any gear. No need to shift down for anything and no need to slam the accelerator too. Just amazing behaviour.
Old 11th May 2017, 17:08   #38

It has been exactly 4 years since I started this thread. I am certainly not going to win any awards for this being the most regularly updated thread. Having said that, I still do open Team-bhp at least once every day, wherever I am.

So on to the car now - it has been 8.5 years and 84,000 kms with the Altis!

The car has done extremely well - no breakdowns, no noises, always behaved as expected. The only things that have been done on the car are:

- the annual service (almost all from Toyota service centers, except the last one from my FNG in South Delhi)
- brake pads, changed every 20k or so
- 1-2 battery changes so far (don't remember)
- Tyre change to Yokohama Earth 1 from Bridgestone S322 at 75k
- occasional cleaning by me, once a year or so washing / polishing from 3M

The tyre change above has made a world of a difference to the noise and handling - it feels like a different car!

I've been itching for a change for many years now, but as you can see from the mileage - I don't really drive much. In fact, I don't drive on the weekdays at all. I am mostly traveling during the weekdays, and even when am not, prefer to use cabs to go to work during the day. This car just keeps going on and on without giving me a good reason to change (except being a bit boring, I guess).

A change doesn't really make sense economically... I've been eyeing the Fortuner / Endeavor reviews and have spent days / months thinking about buying one of these trucks. However, I also am a keeper of cars, and with the NGT banning diesel vehicles greater than 10 years old, that puts a big spanner into my future ownership of any diesel vehicle. This Altis is already nearing 9 years, and I can't imagine doing away with it in the next 1 year. At worst, it will replace by 6 year old Honda City as the beater car. Whichever car I buy next will also be a part of the family for at least a decade - and that puts all the diesel SUVs out of contention. Don't really think the petrol engines of any of the SUVs on offer are worth considering.

I wouldn't also get any value from this almost-new-but-not-really-new car, if I was to sell it in the second hand market. Somehow, also can't imagine someone abusing this very well cared for car...

Most importantly - my wife can't really make out the difference between the Altis and our other car, the Honda City. Either from outside or from the inside. The fact that the colors are BROADLY in the same zone is not helpful either . To expect her to understand why I am thinking of buying a new car to her is like expecting an AAP and a BJP fan to agree on something.

A very short list of what I've continued to like:

- Bullet proof reliability: No breakdowns, no groans. Has gone with me to long drives on all kinds of terrains, with no complaints
- Generally well equipped: I don't feel that I am missing any big feature, even after having been spent enough time in high end fancy cars during my overseas trips
- Smooth ride
- Good enough space in the boot
- No bump near the feet of the middle passenger in the rear, 5 adult CAN sit if needed
- If not fully loaded, adequate power to potter around the city and occasional highway runs
- High quality leather interiors that are still going on very well
- Generally predictable mileage of anywhere between 9-11 kmpl

What I don't really dig:

- Limited safety features, only 2 airbags
- Not really a 'fun' car to drive. Steering feedback is average, not the peppiest around.
- No sunroof
- Flimsy exteriors that get dented very easily. I used to drive an Opel Astra Club before this - god, that was a tank in comparison! I remember, once an Enfield banged into the standing car and literally split into two (the rider was fine), and the Opel only had a small dent to show for it all.

Attaching a bunch of photographs I recently took, after a short cleaning session

Exteriors, after 8.5 years of Delhi sun, rain and winters:

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_0992.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_0998.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_0986.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1014.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_0988.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_0990.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1022.jpg

Interior shots:

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_0999.jpg

Decent legroom for the rear seat.
Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1001.jpg

Flat floor certainly helps!
Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1005.jpg

Armrest, rear curtain...
Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1002.jpg

Dashboard etc. - not the most modern (its an 8.5 year old car!), but still pleasing to the eye

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1003.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1004.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1006.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1013.jpg

Vanity mirror even for the driver

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1010.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1011.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1012.jpg

It has crossed 84k since I took this picture:
Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1008.jpg

Very flimsy body, gets dented very easily. Have never had to get any body work done (except bumpers painted once), and all these little dents are from when the car was standing.

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1027.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1028.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1029.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1030.jpg

Need advice! What can I do about these things that have gone black with time? Have tried all kinds of cleaning agents, and now perhaps even the chrome coating may have gone altogether. Is there something I can do? Honestly, this is where the car's age really shows.

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1038.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1039.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_1040.jpg

Another thing - my left HID is dead, and Toyota service center quotes 10-13k for an HID replacement! Any advice on where else I could procure it (and the specific model no.) and who could help install this?

Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!-img_20170508_215902a.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed reading the thread. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have!
geronimo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 17:50   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

@geronimo good to hear about your Altis. My car is the same age & colour but a GL (MT). It'll turn 9 in Oct and she's pampered and has very low running (< 30K Kms). But I trust this Toyota like no other car.

You need to get the D4R bulb for your headlamp. Vid6639 replaced his car HID bulb here and purchased it overseas for about $50. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4176649

The T emblem & wheel "ornament" (as Toyota calls it) on your car seem to have been corroded by what is probably acid rain due to the pollution levels in NCR. My car's badges/emblems are perfectly fine as of now but it's kept in a garage. I think you should easily get these in aftermarket spare shops in Delhi.

In my experience the body steel panels are reasonably good, not as good as the European cars but not as bad as the Marutis either. I have 2 very minor dings, one on the fender and the driver door, courtesy another car door opening when my vehicle was parked alongside.

The MT is more fun to drive than the AT (if driving a Corolla can ever be called "fun" ) and feels responsive by comparison. It's a sprightly car but can get boring because I feel the suspension and steering are tuned for travelling comfort rather than driving pleasure. But it handles rough roads with ease.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th May 2017 at 17:52.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 17:59   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So on to the car now - it has been 8.5 years and 84,000 kms with the Altis

What can I do about these things that have gone black with time? Have tried all kinds of cleaning agents, and now perhaps even the chrome coating may have gone altogether.
What struck me most was that the steering wheel leather is absolutely intact - the first tell tale sign of a well kept Altis.

The chrome normally doesn't wear off - I am surprised how it has darkened.Too much of 3M-ing, maybe.

Are you sure someone hasn't swapped your logos with spurious aftermarket stuff?

I would recommend you have the 4 wheel center logos repainted in dull silver OR replaced ; the 1.8 logo can be replaced too.

I would suggest you leave the minor dents as is.

Last edited by vigsom : 12th May 2017 at 18:03. Reason: Last line
Old 18th April 2019, 18:59   #41

Hi there everyone!

Apologies for not updating this thread regularly. The Altis completed 10 years now - thank god it's a petrol, else the 10 year mark is a death knell for diesel cars. I am not looking forward to the 15 year mark – because at the rate this car has gone so far, it will be like new even at the 15 year mark with no residual value. Anyways, that’s for 5 years later. At 97,000 kms old, it still running perfectly well (except for one thing, more on that below). Engine is as smooth as Day 1, and as Bezos says, this is still Day 1 in the life of this car. Normal wear and tear and maintenance continues, except the front shocker / suspension repair, nothing else has had to be changed / fixed out of the routine. Minor bumps appear out of nowhere in a standing car, but other than that everything is still original and perfect.

A perfect ownership experience so far. I keep going through urges of buying a new car - I read teambhp a few times everyday, dream of different cars / SUVs every few months, am doing much better financially now and all other such good stuff. But the fact that my driving has come down substantially (weekdays is office travel with cabs + flights) and weekends is mostly chill time, plus I have a beater honda city that is used for the household chores, and most importantly, the car (and by extension, my respect for Toyota) has given me such fantastic ownership experience so far that I feel very reluctant to rock the boat – also given that I have less time to mend broken things, and this one doesn’t (normally) break.

Now the twist in the tale, and I desperately need advice from the experts here.

I’ve sent the Altis to the authorized service centers only for the regular service. I’ve recently moved to Gurgaon last year and this time sent it to MGF for the first time for the regular service. There was some work on the suspension in addition to the service, but rest else was run of the mill. As summers were approaching, I’d asked them to check AC gas or other stuff to make sure everything was working well. They checked the AC gas, cleaned the compressor from outside, and said everything is working fine.

Now when the car came back, everything was working well. I decided to take it to work the next day (uncharacteristically), and the 1 hour drive was wonderful. AC was chilling, everything else was good too. When I started on the way back (late afternoon), after about 15 mins of working, the AC just stopped working. Started blowing hot air, and I thought the gas had leaked. The same story repeated the next day (worked in the morning, but not in the evening) – but this time I tried switching the AC off for a few minutes and then restarting it. It works again for a few minutes, but goes to warm air very soon.

I sent the car back to MGF Toyota with the description above – they test drove the car for a long time (apparently), but could not repeat the problem. They sent the car back with the nonchalant recommendation that if the problem persists, the only solution is to change the AC system. When I asked what that means and what it costs, I was told it costs 1.6L and means replacing every component of the AC! The hypothesized diagnosis is that the AC gas is coming in touch with ‘black metal’, and that cannot be solved by replacing piece parts…. I just cannot imagine how something like this can suddenly happen to a proper, fully functional car.

I now need advice from this group on where to go / what to do. Car is just standing there while time is passing by. I don’t have the patience to go through the bureaucracy of complaints / follow through – I travel a lot, and weekends are the only time I get with the family, kids and all. But it feels like a crime to pay 1.6L for AC repair!

2 questions:
1) Could someone help with diagnosing the problem, what it means and what could have caused it?
2) Should I go to a local AC guy? Is that a good idea or should I try and break my head with the service center?
Old 19th April 2019, 09:48   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Take it to a local reputed AC guy and tell him the problem. They will be able to help you better in this than the TASS. TASS do not wish to spend the kind of time of effort required to get this thing sorted out.
Old 19th April 2019, 09:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The hypothesized diagnosis is that the AC gas is coming in touch with ‘black metal’, and that cannot be solved by replacing piece parts
They are pulling a fast one on you.

If the AC does cool for those 15 minutes and then stops, these are indicators of an engine that is about to over heat, or, they have disconnected the condenser fan (or it has failed), or, forgot to reconnect it if they did dismantle something.

You could also be running low on coolant.

Few things you can do;

Pop the hood and inspect coolant level. Do not open the coolant or radiator cap if the engine is hot. It should be possible to see the level on the reservoir.

Crank the car, turn on the Aircon and check if one or two fans spin up in the engine bay.

Keep an eye on engine temperature.

At your odometer reading, you should have to do a cam belt and water pump replacement.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th April 2019 at 10:00.
Old 19th April 2019, 12:15   #44
BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!

Quote:
I was told it costs 1.6L and means replacing every component of the AC!
1.6L to repair AC? They are clearly not interested in repairing your car, they don't even know what is the actual cause of the problem. Take it to a reputed local AC workshop and get their opinion. I do remember one of the BHPian mentioning AC issues with his Corolla and dealer quoted exorbitant rates. From what I understand Corolla's normal service parts are priced reasonably but other items like AC and stuff costs a bomb if something goes wrong.

When my Elantra was not cooling well SA said cooling coil needed replacement and quoted 15K for the part alone. Checked with a reputed local AC guy, he said cooling coil can be serviced and he did the job for 6K and took only one day. This was 4 years back and AC is still a chiller, changed only cabin filter every year after that. Get a second opinion.
Old 19th April 2019, 12:38   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 10 years, 97,000 km. Running well...very well!

Quote:
Hi there everyone!

Apologies for not updating this thread regularly. The Altis completed 10 years now
Same pinch! My Altis also completed 10 years this Feb. It's only done 60k kms and running trouble free hence I don't see myself selling it for another 3 years atleast if not more.
Surprisingly the car has aged very well for a jap in Mumbai's humid weather. Keeping it well maintained regularly at the Toyota workshop has paid off.

Regarding your AC issue, i agree with others, you need to take it to a third party AC guy. The AC repair cost is nearly half the price of your car value today.

Most Viewed