Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2006, 13:52   #1
BHPian

FIAT Palio 1.6 Sports - Ownership report

My experience in buying FIAT Palio 1.6 Sport:

Mods, Please move this thread to the corresponding sub-group, as I couldn't find appropriate sub-group to post

Hats off to you all..
As everyone knows the pros and cons of 1.6, I'd not mention it here. But it is this thread (on team-bhp, turned me ON for Palio.) and also www.paliousersindia.net too.

links:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...palio-s10.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...palio-s10.html

Finance details:
================
FIAT PALIO 1.6 SPORTS (Canary Yellow)
468000 (basic price) +16188 (insurance)+46335 (one-time tax)+800(temp reg at Bangalore)+500 (permanent reg at hubli) – 10000 (dealer corporate discount) + accessories (mud flaps, all mats) - Rs 800 (discount on not opting for sunfilm) ~= 521000.
About Finance(loan),
====================
95% of 468000 = 444000 at 1990/lac/5 years (7.25% reducing, 3.88 flat) + 1300 (stamp duty) that turned to be an EMI of Rs 8836.
My Experience in buying the car:
================================
For last six months, I was dreaming of owning a car and when indica turbo is in market, I test-drove it and finally about to book it, I retracted after reading hell a lot of complaints about it. So, after looking through the B and B+ segment cars, I finally decided to buy Palio that to 1.6 Sports as there is very less price difference between 1.2 Sports and 1.6 Sports. This is on FEB-2006 last week. So, where to buy? Sundaram in Bangalore had already closed the shop, FIAT-TATA JV supposed to sell in MAR, So I've to buy it in Hubli through Javali Motors. Had discussion with Javali Motors and they were offering 1.6 Sports (4.96 lacs + 30K discount) that was manufactured in JAN-2006 (I suppose) and at (4.67 lacs + 5K discount) after I told them about FIAT-TATA rates (after they confirmed from a FIAT person). Due to my financial condition, I needed minimum of 90-95% loan on ex-show, I'd checked with ICICI and they offered me 87% loan at Rs 2125/lac/5 years (if I bought in Hubli, 2069/lac/5 years if I bought in Bangalore). Meanwhile, FIAT-TATA JV announced to sell Palio, now the price is at 4.67 lacs and there is an adv that said to give loans at Rs1990/lac/5 years. So, I rushed to book the car, not giving any reasons for the offer to go off from my hand. So, with Mr Mathew from Concorde Motors, booked car (27 Mar 2006) and I was promised to get the vehicle by APR-20 with 90-95% funding from Tata Motor Finance (TMF). More over I had one more compulsion that the vehicle to be registered at HUBLI, my lovely hometown (not forgetting the roots) of my life where I had been there for over 20 years.
Now, after booking and providing all papers to them, I made frantic calls to TMF to know the status as I did not want to the offer to go off my hand, and finally after a week, I got the approval for 95% finance with 1990/lac/5 years. That is a cool save of around 35K between the ICICI bank loan (2125/lac) and TMF loan over 5 years. TMF charged me 1300=00 as stamp duty charges. One, Mr Vinod from TMF is very active and handled it very nicely (I can tell that it is very minimum documentation, no guarantors is needed). Next D-Day is near, and I made a call to Concorde for my palio and to my surprise they told me that my vehicle will arrive only in last week of April, though it is manufactured, but to be sent with a black adventure (which is in process of manufacturing, and I guess it is meant for Karthik (kvish) who is also in the group), So waiting haplessly for the palio to get delivered. I received a call from Concorde on 22- Apr that car has come and I can collect it on Monday, 24-Apr-2006. When everything is done, I was denied the delivery of the car because there is some goof-up with TMF for non-submission of delivery order to concorde (again many frantic calls). Even this one is also solved and finally I got my dream Palio 1.6 Sports, Canary Yellow colour on 26-Apr-2006 and odo showed only 63 kms when delivered (after a thorough checkup except a test drive, please look at my earlier posting about PDI (pre-delivery inspection)). Though I liked both formula red and canary yellow, but my wife liked the canary yellow one, so is the colour. There was some mistake in the papers (which was introduced by me only) but prompt response from Concorde solved that too. I shall say Mr Mathew and Mr Krishna Prasad who are handling FIAT at Concorde are very curteous and very helpful (Though I can say the Mr Krishna Prasad is good in explaining lot of things wrt Palio whenever I visit the showroom, like why palio failed, good and bad bits etc..).
Till today, I've already clocked 1500 kms with city, highway, ghat sections (Devarayan Durga near tumkur) and bad road stretches and I can tell that this car is really amazing. Whoever I met, they told me that it is very good colour, vehicle etc, even owners of palio toooo congratulated me and asked me whether it is a new version (1.3 ltr multi-jet) and shared their experience (that they never faced any problem for 4 years, haven't opened the bonnet for the last 4 years etc)
Additional accessories:
=======================
3M sunfilm (FST-30) – Rs 2000 (greenish tint with 50% visibility)
Neck rest – Rs 190
Rear windshield curtain – Rs 290
Marble Air circulator (similar to wooden beads) – Rs 900 (for both front seats)
I got it registered in HUBLI and bought it back to Bangalore. You know what, I achieved an amazing 17.5 KMPL while maintaining the speed at 60-80 kmph and between 1800-2100 rpm with 100% AC ON through out 400 kms (I'm the only person in the car throughout the journey). And I can say that I'm truly surprised and to all who are harping on harsh mileages, here is an answer. For City mileage, I've yet to check. So, now it is time to give for first free service and I'd be doing it in a couple of days.
A Problem:
==========
A problem of rattling sounds is emerging from the odo console whenever I push the accelerator at a speed where the corresponding gear should not be driven at that speed meaning pushing at 45Kmph in 5th gear, 40 kmph in 4th gear etc.. but it vanishes after sufficient speed is reached. This is happening after my speedometer stopped functioning.

Is there any problem?
Some kind of oil leakage happening near inside of front right wheel, I do not know what it is, but will get it corrected in the service.

After my 1st free service, I found the service person telling me that no OIL leakages which I mentioned before.

About Service charges from Concorde and RTO registration:
================================================== =======
I found this surprising; Concorde or any dealer charges Rs 3000 to Rs 5000 as service charges. I do not know what does this mean? I assume that it is RTO registration + probably number plate charges (those who recently bought, please confirm. Did you pay extra for number plates?) and transportation charges (But I feel this will be included in exshowroom price by the FIAT itself). So, then I asked a RTO agent in hubli for the registration, then agent to told me a whopping 1600 Rs for registration. I just bluntly told him Sorry. Then I took pain myself to get the vehicle registered and I incurred only 500Rs (300 RTO fees + 200 bribe I shall say, though it was asked very nicely ) + 300Rs for number plates. So, now I wonder why dealers charge 3K to 5K as service charges? Though I was charged Rs 800 for temporary registration at Bangalore.
Hope this mail may be useful for some one..

A message is that: If you have a time, go to RTO and get your vehicle registered which will save a lot of money.

Comments please.
Happy Motoring,
Cheers,
Gudda | Palio 1.6 Sports | Canary Yellow | 100 Horses | 1700 Kms
| 17.5 Kmpl (Highway+AC)
mahadev_kc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2006, 14:47   #2
BHPian

Good write up .
Those who r planning to buy new car,register by yourself!!!
Old 25th May 2006, 15:04   #3
BHPian

I CANNOT BELIVE IT...
did i see 17.5 Kmpl (Highway+AC)
on palio 1.6............................................... .................
Old 25th May 2006, 15:52   #4
BHPian

mahadev_kc,
congratulations on getting the only-hot-hatch-of-India

nice detailed writeup. it'll sure be of great help to those who are going to buy a Palio.
but again, how did you managed 17.5 kmpl in Palio1.6?
coz i never attainted that figure in my short stint of 6 years with that car!
any tips and tricks will be appreciated.
Old 25th May 2006, 16:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar
I CANNOT BELIVE IT...
did i see 17.5 Kmpl (Highway+AC) on palio 1.6........................
Is the Palio1.6 a diesel car ? If not, then that is a super FE for a 1.6L car and one that is as heavy as or even more than some sedans.
Old 25th May 2006, 16:30   #6
BHPian

After seeing your replies, Now I've to really check whether it is a diesel engine or not..

Here is complete calculation about my mileage.

At Hubli (varur) Reliance pump (normal petrol) -- full tank
At Bangalore(Nelamangala) Reliance pump (normal petrol) -- full tank --> only 21.25 ltrs needed.
Distance travelled - 369 kms
So Mileage = (369/21.25) --> 17.4 kmpl
Speed = > 60 < 80
rpm < 2100 in 5th gear
Only one person in the car

I didn't resort to any tricks, just followed above to get that mileage as the vehicle is new.

Cheers,
| 17.5 Kmpl (Highway+AC)
mahadev_kc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2006, 16:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mahadev

Going by you experiences- speedo stopped working and oil leak, would you say that you are happy with your Palio or not?

BTW, where did you get the car serived from?
Old 25th May 2006, 16:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc
After seeing your replies, Now I've to really check whether it is a diesel engine or not..

Here is complete calculation about my mileage.

At Bangalore(Nelamangala) Reliance pump (normal petrol) -- full tank --> only 21.25 ltrs needed.
D)
21lt for full tank? comeon; or did you mean you had some petrol in it and you only needed taht much to top up? and why didnt you try xtra premium? It would be better for 1.6
Old 25th May 2006, 16:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
21lt for full tank? comeon; or did you mean you had some petrol in it and you only needed taht much to top up? and why didnt you try xtra premium? It would be better for 1.6
Yep, I needed only that much to top-up. In owner's manual it is mentioned that I should use only 87 RON, that is the reason I didn't use xtra premium.

Cheers,
| 17.5 Kmpl (Highway+AC)
Old 25th May 2006, 16:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, I needed only that much to top-up. In owner's manual it is mentioned that I should use only 87 RON, that is the reason I didn't use xtra premium.

Cheers,
| 17.5 Kmpl (Highway+AC)
Thats really bad. Can you enquire with tha Fiat guys? Its a shame actually.
Old 25th May 2006, 17:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Mahadev,
Just because you got the tank filled in Reliance, you got 17.5kmpl. I also got 16kmpl (10% city 90% highway) in my petra 1.6( same engine).

But I never got more than 11kmpl in city and 13 kmpl on highways if I fill up my car on other Petrol bunks.

Anyway keep ejoying ...
GD
Old 25th May 2006, 18:23   #12
BHPian

To buy or not to buy!

Hey friends

Happened to visit the forum yesterday and feel that it is rocking!

Have been planning to buy a car for over 2 months now, and am reading reviews about xeta, palio (what a car!) and maruti's.

One of my friend in office is selling his palio for about 2.5 (nv) 2003 which met with an accident about 3 months back. Am just learning to drive as well.

Some friends have told me to buy a used car since I am new to driving. I was also thinking of getting the xeta since it is about 70k more when compared to palio. My budget would be about 3.5 (loan) inclusive.

i would fit a lpg in the palio which will help me cut the cost for mileage. but am not too sure.

will be driving about 50 km per day and love travelling so weekends will be going out of mumbai for a good drive.

guys i know its a lengthy query and a confused state of mind. Please HELP!
Old 25th May 2006, 19:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Thats really bad. Can you enquire with tha Fiat guys? Its a shame actually.
I am confused. Why do you need 91 Octane if 87 is acceptable?

@Mahadev, use System G along with unleaded. It works much better than so called "Speed" and "Power". BTW, why such problems on a brand new car?

@saildrive, can you post your query in separate thread instead of hijacking this one? Going by your id, you should be driving Opel Sail. (Sorry, couldn't resist that).
Old 25th May 2006, 19:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive
Mahadev,
Just because you got the tank filled in Reliance, you got 17.5kmpl. I also got 16kmpl (10% city 90% highway) in my petra 1.6( same engine).
Funny, I had the same experience too.

To the new owner - Congrats. And please post pics. Non S-10 in canary yellow. I am dying to see that.
Old 25th May 2006, 19:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mahadev ,shouldnt new car's reviews be banned without pictures

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks