Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2013, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review

Hello Everybody !

Here Goes My First Thread on T-BHP .

First Things First

The 50K service was done at 48.5K due to some pressing A/C issues . The regular service bill came around 4K INR . Incidentally the Innova went for it's 85K at the same time and came out with 800 INR .( It is under a service package , BUT Still !! ) .

Variant : 1.4 TDCi Titanium .

Cars Considered
1) Swift ZDi
2) Ford Figo
3) Skoda Fabia [Great Escape --> http://www.team-bhp.com/news/skoda-p...ng-fabia-hatch ]

The Story

We were having a City & A Chevy Aveo-UVA . Thus the U-VA was to be replaced .
Back then i didn't have a license so i couldn't test drive .
We used to have a Ford Ikon ZXi so dad knew that the Figo would surely have excellent driving DNA . As expected Swift didn't match up in that area and dad enjoys driving . So the Swift was a No-Go . I loved the looks of Figo and the Titanium was booked .

When we got the car registered , we asked for 8797 . It was luckily in the running series . What surprised us was that it came in the" BU "series . we had bought an Innova 3 months back before the Figo and it wears " BV 8797" Shouldn't BU be the first to be registered ?.

Price & Discounts
We got a loyalty bonus for already owning a Ford and Dad knew some one and it was what they call " Friends & Family Price " . I'm really not sure about the figures .

Alloy Mod
Back Then the Figo Titanium wasn't a true Top End model and it looked pathetic with the plastic wheel covers . I gave my dad the model no. of a White LENSO alloy and he brought back the car with a Silver HRS stating that the LENSO ones were too flashy

Fast Forward to 2012 :
I had just entered college and had got my license too . Thus the Figo was given to me with 15K on the ODO . It was sedately driven by the driver mostly and a little spirited if dad drives . Little did the car know that it's going to be ripped to shreds from January 7 2012 .

So Yeah ! 35K KMS in 18 Months . That is what happens when your college is in Guindy .

ICE MOD
The Car had decent stereo so i really did not want to shell out anything for a HU/Speaker Change . So all i did was to swap a 10+ year old SubWoofer and Amplifier from Dad's car while he replaced his with Components Speaker and Pinoneer AMP+SUB .

Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review-dscn1574.jpg

Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review-dscn1576.jpg

I know you guys are really wondering about the audio quality of 10+year old components , I assure you its actually good . ( It's an XM222MK2 Amplifier)

HORN : Bosch Symphony

Steering Grip : SPARCO

MILEAGE
Fuelling is always done at BPL Bunks . [ Dad forces the usage of Petro Card].
Now he has no clue what to do with the 1.5L points other than Shopping at In & Out

Average Mileage Consumption : 13.41 KM/L [ 100% City . Full Time A/C . Gears shifted around 1750-2200 RPM]

Best Mileage : 18.7 KM/L [ Highway Drive to Pondicherry . Full Time A/C . Speed 80-90 ]

Worst Mileage : 9.89 Km/L [ Highway Drive on NH 45 . Full Time A/C . Average speed would be 120-130 . [Maxed Out Speed - The Console showed 158.9 Km/H @ 4k RPM . You might be able to feel the fuel shutting off ]

There was some sort of a deep vibration along the car when the brake was applied at those speeds . Hope some one can throw some light into that.

I use an App called FuelLog For Measurement . [Android]

Major Parts Changed
1) Front two tires . Swapped at A.S.S
2)Entire A/C Unit [ Covered by warranty . happened a few days back ]
3)Underwent the Recall by Ford for RTB Inspection .
4) Air Filters have been replaced twice within 50K .

The following views are entirely based on my experience

The Good
1) Unmatched handling and Driving DNA .
2)VFM.
3)Quick Service
4) I personally love the stiffer suspension as i needn't slow down for minor road craters.
5)Figo loves to be pushed hard @ 2nd Gear . Puts a smile on my face every time . But the two wheeler guy behind you is going to covered with black soot .
6)You might have read many reviews saying that it's a fun car to drive .But the idea of fun differs . For me , Figo is a fun car because i love the HPS and drive the car a little spiritedly . If you prefer sedate driving ( i.e gear shifts under 2k RPM) Figo might not be able to thrill you .
7) Interiors are well done and the Ergonomics are perfect for me . Seats look great and this our only car which doesn't have a seat cover . [ Blue Threads in the new figo ? Hmm .]

Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review-dscn1577.jpg
Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review-dscn1578.jpg

8) A/C is the one of the best parts of the car . I read somewhere in the forum that the Figo has 140cc compressor while the rest of the competition has 70cc or so . Do correct me if i'm wrong .
9) The Clutch is pretty light and weighing of the pedals are perfect .

The Bad
1) Quick Service ? YES! but quality is a question unless you've got a befriended an A.S.S Guy . [ I like MPL Ford , Kovilambakkam .]
2) The Head Unit's Volume control doesn't work properly and the A.S.S want a month or two to "TRY" fixing it from a Ford Affiliated Company
3) They don't align or balance your wheels when you fit after market alloys but they won't even inform you to do that elsewhere.
4) The Engine produces noises higher than my Innova at Idling . Head Turner in a bad way .
5) Headlights have been mentioned a lot over the forum and i completely agree . I still haven't done anything though .
6) Accessories are highly expensive . Especially the Fog Lamps & Spoiler .
7) The Car billows out smoke now and then . I guess it's normal for a diesel car . But definitely much more than all it's counterparts . I've not noticed this on Fiat Engines though .
8) Gear Shifts aren't very slick . Sometimes i find the 2nd gear not engaging easily in comparison with the others .

The Ugly
1) Reliability . I had previously posted in the Official Review thread about the story of my Fuel Tank falling down in the middle of the road and started leaking . Pictures Attached .
2)The car has undergone drastic cost cutting that the real doors feel wafer-thin and there are lots of ugly clearances . [ You expect better stuff in this area from a Ford Car ]
3) The Car vibrates a lot as it is a 3 cylinder engine . [ Theory Of Machines - Balancing of In-Line Engines] So driving Fatigue is definitely a major cause for concern when compared to its 4-cylinder counterparts .

I really don't know what this is :

Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review-dscn1575.jpg

Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review-dsc_0282.jpg

THE FUTURE
1) The Car badly needs an ICE Change . [ Closely Following up on the audio gurus ]
2) Selling the car is also on the cards but this is our first Diesel-Car Sell and we really don't know what is the right time . We've got a Diesel Innova at 90K and a Rapid at 15K . I've set 1L KMS for the Rapid and 1.5L for the Innova . Do need your advice guys .
3)If the Car is not going to be sold , then a DIESELTRONIC is the next thing to do i guess .

Some pictures of the car when it wore some stickers :
Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review-varun.jpg
Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review-dsc_0075.jpg

Last edited by icyspikey : 27th May 2013 at 21:37.
icyspikey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 23:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Old 28th May 2013, 09:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyspikey View Post
The Car vibrates a lot as it is a 3 cylinder engine . [ Theory Of Machines - Balancing of In-Line Engines] So driving Fatigue is definitely a major cause for concern when compared to its 4-cylinder counterparts .
You have the wrong information here mate. It is a 4 cylinder engine.
Link: http://www.zigwheels.com/Delhi/newca...atorq-Titanium
Click on the specifications tab.
Diesel lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 11:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
You have the wrong information here mate. It is a 4 cylinder engine.
Link: http://www.zigwheels.com/Delhi/newca...atorq-Titanium
Click on the specifications tab.
Acknowledged . Thank You . All along i was attributing the vibration to the 3-pot reason .

Last edited by icyspikey : 28th May 2013 at 11:20.
Old 28th May 2013, 15:01   #5
BHPian

Dude! I told you it was a 4 cyl!! :P
Only the Polo and the Micra come with 3 pots(Petrol).

Good and honest review.

Clutch is light? You gotta be kidding me! My friend's figo has a very hard clutch!
i20 has the lightest clutch among diesels!

And thinking about selling it? Well, Ford has recently launched something that might interest you! Why not exchange the figo for it ?
Old 28th May 2013, 19:24   #6
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Dude! I told you it was a 4 cyl!! :P
Only the Polo and the Micra come with 3 pots(Petrol).

Good and honest review.

Clutch is light? You gotta be kidding me! My friend's figo has a very hard clutch!
i20 has the lightest clutch among diesels!

And thinking about selling it? Well, Ford has recently launched something that might interest you! Why not exchange the figo for it ?
Yeah man ! So Stupid of me .

Thanks . I assure you its far from " Very Hard " . Never driven an i20 . It's lighter than Punto ? The other day i TD'ed a friend's punto and found the clutch to be very light .

Ha! an SUV ? No Thanks .

Last edited by icyspikey : 28th May 2013 at 19:27.
Old 16th December 2013, 10:21   #7

Re: Ford Figo 1.4L TDCi - A 50K Review

icyspikey has mentioned that the clutch is light? I find this TDci Titanium (~22000 kms) with a very hard clutch and an equally hard gear change (esp from 1st gear up to 3rd). I'm sure it is not 100% due to driving technique as I haven't had this problem with other cars, petrol or diesel, and others driving my car find the same problem too.

The FASS does something each time that seems to fix the problem for a few days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks