Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2015, 15:58   #31
BHPian

re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
And the problem seems to have magically disappeared. Probably something to do with the DPF coupled with the new gateway - read somewhere that this is normal for the first few hundred kms on a new car and then it goes away only to happen sporadically to burn the excess soot.
Interesting given the debate on DPF being present on Indian Lauras.
I had the same issue happening on my Laura in 2012-13. Multiple visits to the service station led to zero results. I checked with the owner's manual and confirmed that my 2010 Laura doesnt have a DPF and arrived at the conclusion that this high idling could not be because of it.

In June 2013, i had to travel abroad for 20 odd days and i decided to leave the car with Arshia (now shut) at their Okhla workshop in Delhi as they had a Skoda engineer visiting them from the Czech Republic.

Turns out the issue was with the alternator not functioning properly which temoporarily made the car idle at 1000-1100rpm. Skoda changed the alternator and the flywheel (some other issue; didnt bother asking) in June 2013 and there has not been a single incident of her having to idle at 1000rpm.

You could be facing the same issue. Just ask the service station guys to check the alternator.

Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 27th March 2015 at 15:59.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 16:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post

Turns out the issue was with the alternator not functioning properly which temoporarily made the car idle at 1000-1100rpm. Skoda changed the alternator and the flywheel (some other issue; didnt bother asking) in June 2013 and there has not been a single incident of her having to idle at 1000rpm.

You could be facing the same issue. Just ask the service station guys to check the alternator.

Cheers
Rohan
Thank Rohan!

That also could be it. I have been noticing a small lag when starting up, and had complained about the same earlier too. Could be related to the alternator?

Did this idling happen regularly, or was it just one off every few hundred kms?
Old 27th March 2015, 16:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Thank Rohan!

That also could be it. I have been noticing a small lag when starting up, and had complained about the same earlier too. Could be related to the alternator?

Did this idling happen regularly, or was it just one off every few hundred kms?
I didnt feel any lag in my case. Just that the whole thing made me feel rather annoyed while driving.

It wasnt regular at all. It used to happen every few weeks (post 700-800kms). The engineer was kind enough to meet my dad and explained to him (since i was out of town) that the alternator had a manufacturing defect which was causing it to malfunction thereby triggering the ECU to increase the RPM.

Off topic: Best way to find out about DPF being equipped in your car is to check the sticker in the spare wheel area. There is a decoder contained in the owner's manual. If you have the code for DPF equipped car on the sticker, you have your answer! The sticker should also be present on the first few pages of the service booklet that comes with the car.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:07   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Just dropped her off to Autobahn Skoda for her 45Kkm service.
Have asked them to work on the following:
- Rattles: Front passenger seat, rear seat arm rest, rear parcel shelf, and from the spare tyre area.
- Passenger seat recline knob came off a month back while dad was adjusting the seat, so have asked them to fix that as well
- Real Parcel shelf hook seemed to have come off as well, which also I have asked them to replace. Surprising as I do not think anyone would have fiddled with it.
- Check the engine start as it does require a little more time than what I feel is ideal.

Looking forward to taking her on a long drive tonight!!
Old 28th July 2015, 18:45   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

45,000kms Update:

So just got her back from the 45Kkm service. The experience would be a 6/10 at best:
- Rattles are still there
- The invoice was raised incorrectly showing 41Kkm, and incorrect customer information. When I raised this point, was told that they need a copy of my RC to change it, which I duly emailed across and still haven't heard back even though it has been over 24 hours. It is upsetting to note that even though the car has been purchased from them, and always serviced by them - they have incorrect details. God knows who has been getting updates regarding the car!
- The parcel shelf hook was not fixed
- Engine start seems normal so was not looked into
- I had asked them to change the badges to the new Skoda logo - which was not done.

The only saving grace was that at INR 11,450 - this was the cheapest service yet!! However, they had to keep the car over night to just replace the oil, oil filter, air filter, and passenger seat recline knob!

It is really getting frustrating to have to send the car multiple times for small work that is always overlooked. Almost every service has required follow up visits to correct small things!!

That aside, I did get 25% off the air filter and oil filter which was probably why the invoice was relatively lower than expected.

Plan to write a stinker to Skoda about the service quality though! If it continues this way, this might be the last VWAG vehicle in the garage - though the rumours of the Polo 1.8 TSi and the new Superb are very tempting
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 10:14   #36
BHPian

Re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 40,000 Kms Update

Quote:
On the other hand, I am still left deeply disappointed with the brakes (pads were changed around 35,000kms), and still feel they lack enough bite - especially given what the car is capable off.
Was above issue solved? Did you try to tweak VCDS settings.

Last edited by brraj : 29th July 2015 at 10:16.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:57   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 40,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Was above issue solved? Did you try to tweak VCDS settings.
Hi,

Issue hasn't been solved. It seems to be a normal thing with these cars - noticed the same on a few friends Laura's as well.
When we picked her up, the brakes were definitely a lot better than the Fiesta I was driving during that week, but over time as I switched over to other cars - I started wishing for better brakes.
Even when I posted the comment, I was using the Etios for a few days which has terrific bite, so I am guessing it hampered my expectations.

As for the VCDS settings - after reading kryptonite's excellent thread , I am planning on enabling a few features through the VCDS.
The idea of a faster remap + DSG remap is also tempting, if only my heart can convince my mind to get over the service fears!
Old 28th September 2015, 16:41   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update Now Sold.

Sent the car to Autobahn Kurla for a change as I was not at all happy with Autobahn Sewri. Requested them to do the following:
1) Rattles: Front Passenger Window & Seat, Rear Parcel Shelf, Rear Spare Tyre, Rear Armrest
2) The Driver's side door lock sensor started acting up, and stopped detecting whenever the driver's side door was opened
3) Front Suspension seemed loose, so asked them to check it out.

Even though the car has been with them for 4 days, for a change I am not that worried. Part of the reason is that:
- the estimate he sent across mentions replacing the front RHS door lock under extended warranty. Earlier, when I had a problem with one of the sensors, the SA at Autobahn Sewri needed to be explicitly told to carry out the replacement under extended warranty, whereas SA at Autobahn Kurla was smart enough to realize that since we have paid for extended warranty, might as well make use of it.
- He has my number saved on his phone! No more wasting 5 minutes describing my car and vehicle number for any light bulb to switch on!

Surprising how these two very small touches have just put me at ease! Skoda service really needs to buck-up, because I would expect these to be the norms when servicing a Rs. 20L+ vehicle.

Anyways, car should be back soon. Can't wait to drive her with all the rattles fixed!

Parts being worked upon:
- Driver's side Door Lock (for the sensor I assume)
- Front Suspension servicing, replacement of bracket bushes, and Damru bush (any idea what this is?). They have advised getting the linkage changed as well, but in true Skoda nature - the part is not in stock.
Old 30th September 2015, 16:43   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update Now Sold.

Getting the vehicle back today - hope the work has been carried out to satisfaction given they spent 5 working days on fixing rattles and minor work.

However, Skoda being Skoda, they have messed up the invoice again with incorrect Customer information. This is after having had them rectify the issue in their database last time (2 months/3000kms ago), and providing a copy of the RC card, etc.

Even though these are minor issues, having to deal with them on a continuous basis gets annoying very quick! It's ridiculous to have to send the car in every 5Kkm for some minor work (such as a fused DRL - bulbs not available easily in the market, or rattles, or a faulty sensor); and many a times send it multiple times to get the work done to my satisfaction!

Dad has been tempted to get a VWAG Vento/Rapid DSG home owing to its brilliant diesel + AT combo; similarly I've been very tempted by a tuner TSi and even the new Superb - but with such levels of quality & service, I will definitely think twice before picking up another Skoda even if it means compromising. Better to compromise than have a High BP issue.

Similarly, I have stopped recommending VWAG vehicles to a lot of non-enthusiast friends too (barring the Jetta/Octy DSG Diesels which is only because of a dearth of good diesel automatics in that space). When I do, it is always with a disclaimer.
Old 30th September 2015, 17:05   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Damru bush (any idea what this is?)
This is usually the lower arm ball bush called a Damru because it looks like the Damru (cylindrical drum) that Lord Shiva holds.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 19:30   #41

HI Lamborghini

Hope your LnK is doing well, I have recently acquired a 2011 May pre loved Laura Lnk. So far I am amazed by the car, except there are two things I need to ask

1) AFS: I have bending lights enabled in Maxidot and also my light swivel up down and left right on start up. But I do not see them bending if I give turn indicator or steer in either direction. Ofcourse I am checking while the car is stationary, is there some special way to check it. I ensured travelmode/tourist light is turned off (again in maxidot)

2) My car is showing famous (bcoz I read at brisk skoda) ABS/ESP error (in maxidot) and the tyre pressure, ESP and ABS lights up, its intermittent. but comes once probably in each 5-10 kms drive. Any experience with that.

Ofcourse, I chose this thread as its Lnk, but request all to help me with the questions.

Thanks
shishir
Old 5th May 2016, 19:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dial_shishir View Post
HI Lamborghini

Hope your LnK is doing well, I have recently acquired a 2011 May pre loved Laura Lnk. So far I am amazed by the car, except there are two things I need to ask

1) AFS: I have bending lights enabled in Maxidot and also my light swivel up down and left right on start up. But I do not see them bending if I give turn indicator or steer in either direction. Ofcourse I am checking while the car is stationary, is there some special way to check it. I ensured travelmode/tourist light is turned off (again in maxidot)

2) My car is showing famous (bcoz I read at brisk skoda) ABS/ESP error (in maxidot) and the tyre pressure, ESP and ABS lights up, its intermittent. but comes once probably in each 5-10 kms drive. Any experience with that.

Ofcourse, I chose this thread as its Lnk, but request all to help me with the questions.

Thanks
shishir
Hey Shishir

1. The dynamic bending light linked to the steering input (Bending Xenon) only activated post 40km/h. The starting xenon dance is the car making sure the leveling is perfect (wieght and fuel load changes the angle). For anything below 40km/hour the fog lamps acts as static assist lights. The fog lights will light up in the direction of turn of steering (provided the xenon's are on) or they will turn on in the direction which has the indicator stalk activated for a turn (all this happens if the speed is below 40kmph - above 40, the xenon active bending takes over). Check if your corenering lamps via fog is activated (you can get this done easliy at the dealership or someone with VCDS cable)

2. This a typical ABS wheel sensor issue - do a full vcds scan to know exaclty which sensor is kaput.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 15:18   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

55,000kms Service Update

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long hiatus from this thread.

The Laura has covered close to 57Kkm today as I write this, and was recently serviced in April (with 55,215kms on the odo) by Skoda Autobahn Sewri (as there was nothing major to be done).
The service costed us around Rs. 31,500 - a large component of which was the DSG oil that Skoda recommends replacing at 60,000kms (apprx. Rs. 8,000 for oil + labour, and apprx. 2,000 for filter).

As usual, the SA was not aware of the DSG oil change - so other owners, please be aware and get the same done as per the manual. SA was also unable to fix the rattles (he accepted it himself).
Also interesting to note is that the invoice STILL shows the name and number of some random person, even after specifically mentioning it to the SA before handing over.

Another concern was that after receiving the car, I noticed that the front bumper RHS grill was missing - not too expensive, but as usual, Skoda didn't have the part in stock.

Since then, haven't been able to drive her around too much - primarily due to travels and also been spending a fair bit of time with the S-Cross 1.6 which we acquired recently.
However, the car remains a pleasure to drive - once you get over the rattles & A.S.S., and I was able to clock a record high FE of 13.5kmpl in the city (tankful to tankful) which was a very pleasant surprise!

However, a couple of weeks back, the AFS Headlight error popped up. A quick visit to the service station indicated that the motor was damaged - possibly when I switched over to LED parking bulbs quite a few months ago. Anyways, the only fix is to replace the headlight (at a cost of Rs. 45,000); and as usual - the part is not in stock

So far, while I love the car, dealing with Skoda A.S.S. is quite a nuisance and I am on the look out for a good independent garage who can fix up the car properly. I accept that spares will be priced higher than competition given the amount of features in the car, but what I will not accept is having to wait days for every single part!

Heck - the car would have completed over 61Kkm today (4K more) had it not spent so much time just parked, waiting for parts! Would have been a perfect time to upgrade the suspension & brakes to after market.
In comparison - our Etios (with it's 'cheap' build) has not spent more than 7 days (total, not consecutive. Skoda downtime is close to 60-70 days though to be fair, it is a year older) at the service centre since we picked her up in 2013. Even after facing worse roads, and multiple drivers - there is not a single rattle!
If nothing else, owning the Skoda has reaffirmed my faith in other brands. Would be interesting to see how this plays out as the garage gets reshuffled over time.

Hoping to take her out for a long spin once the headlight issue is sorted!
Old 3rd July 2016, 08:31   #44
BHPian

Hi Lamborghini, your car looks really great and well kept.
iam planning to buy a pre owned 2012 Laura L&k. Although am sold on the car, some of my friends are discouraging me from buying the car citing maintenance and resale issues.
Pls share your opinion. Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 18:48   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster View Post
Hi Lamborghini, your car looks really great and well kept.
iam planning to buy a pre owned 2012 Laura L&k. Although am sold on the car, some of my friends are discouraging me from buying the car citing maintenance and resale issues.
Pls share your opinion. Thanks
Thanks for the kind words!

Regarding a pre-owned Laura, do check the service records properly to ensure service has been carried out as per the manual. If the car has done 60Kkm, make sure that the transmission fluid is changed as well.
Resale value is about average for the class, and sine you're buying it pre-owned, low resale works in your favour!
Maintenance - While we've not experienced major troubles with the car, the car does give small niggles - which can be expensive to fix, and accident parts too are on the more expensive side. however, a good independent mechanic can help lower your bills significantly, in addition to importing parts as they may work out cheaper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks