Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2016, 19:43   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
The gear knob on Samba's Etios is the old one as in this photograph from page 1 of this thread. So I guess it was changed sometime.
Thanks!
Mine is a petrol Etios. The pic you posted is from a diesel Etios. The reverse gear position of diesel and petrol Etios are different. It has not been changed from the beginning.

Regarding the knobs, the stock company fitted knobs are black in "G" trim. The silver knob in my car has been fitted as an accessory. You can get the wooden finish knob as an accessory too.

Last edited by Samba : 20th August 2016 at 19:47.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 08:26   #197
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Thanks!
Mine is a petrol Etios. The pic you posted is from a diesel Etios. The reverse gear position of diesel and petrol Etios are different. It has not been changed from the beginning.

Regarding the knobs, the stock company fitted knobs are black in "G" trim. The silver knob in my car has been fitted as an accessory. You can get the wooden finish knob as an accessory too.
Thanks for the clarification Samba.

Once I get my car (another 2 weeks I guess) I'll add to your thread if that's OK.
dileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 16:17   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Samba.

Once I get my car (another 2 weeks I guess) I'll add to your thread if that's OK.
Congrats in advance for your new purchase. Wish you thousands of fun filled happy miles with your new Etios.

I will be more than happy to have pics of your new car in my thread. You can put some pics of the interior and exterior with a short review too, so readers can get aware of the new upgrades done to the new Etios in comparison to my old car.

Last edited by Samba : 21st August 2016 at 16:18.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 13:43   #199
BHPian

Hi Samba,
As I am nearing the purchase of the Etios Petrol, I am deciding between the G and V variants. I find that the V has bigger wheels and tyres as compared to the G.

Here are the specs: J/G - tyre size is 175 / 70 R 14 while the V/VX - tyre size is 185 / 60 R 15

My questions are would the V with larger wheels and tyres:
1. have more Ground Clearance
2. bigger turning radius than the mentioned 4.9 m
3. would fuel efficiency be affected

Thanks.
Old 5th September 2016, 14:50   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Samba,
As I am nearing the purchase of the Etios Petrol, I am deciding between the G and V variants. I find that the V has bigger wheels and tyres as compared to the G.

Here are the specs: J/G - tyre size is 175 / 70 R 14 while the V/VX - tyre size is 185 / 60 R 15

Thanks.
1. No
2. No
3. Maybe, very marginal

This is because the rolling circumference is kept constant by decreasing the profile accordingly.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 16:26   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
1. No
2. No
3. Maybe, very marginal

This is because the rolling circumference is kept constant by decreasing the profile accordingly.
Would the bigger wheel & tyre size give better ride, comfort, handling, cornering (specially on mountain drives).

I live in Delhi, but my greater part of driving is upto the Himalayas and back. I'm trying to see if the V version with its wheel size would be advantageous. V also has number of other benefits like ABS/EBD, music system apart from minor things like mouldings and chrome accents which I dont really care about.
Old 6th September 2016, 01:00   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Samba,

Thanks.
Quote:
Would the bigger wheel & tyre size give better ride, comfort, handling, cornering (specially on mountain drives).

I live in Delhi, but my greater part of driving is upto the Himalayas and back. I'm trying to see if the V version with its wheel size would be advantageous. V also has number of other benefits like ABS/EBD, music system apart from minor things like mouldings and chrome accents which I dont really care about.

Go for the 'V' variant. Abs and Ebd can be life savers.
A new face lift Etios launch is on the cards on 13th September. Please wait till then.

Handling and cornering should be better with the 185/60/R15 spec tyre than the 170/70/R14. You get a tyre width of 185mm, so more contact with road, that means more stability, plus a bigger rim with lower side wall of 111mm compared to 123mm side wall of the 175/70/R14 spec tyre.

On contrary the ride quality should be more cushioned with the 175/70/R14 spec tyres because of there higher side walls !

At the end my choice will be any day 185/60/R15

The ground clearance and turning radius wont be affected because, if the difference is been calculated in a tyre up-size calculator its a mere 0.98%. The higher side wall of the 175 spec tyre is compensated with a bigger rim in the 185 spec tyre.

Last edited by Samba : 6th September 2016 at 01:08.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 06:34   #203
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Actually the Etios is a surprisingly good package for its price. Yes it is designed with cost cutting in mind and Yes, it is a huge hit with taxi operators. But thats to be expected when the package is such good value and so reliable.
Etios is normally hardly ever considered by private buyers because of the taxi image and the slightly bare bones aspect.
Saying that, it is most comfortable car and quite powerful indeed in both Diesel and Petrol avatars.
Its a very good value package overall and being a sedan with a boot plus comfortable seating for a family of 4, it ticks all the boxes for most people. Add the ABS, Airbags and other stuff in the top spec version and you have a winner.
While I love the silver grey shade generally, it is also true that most taxi Etios's are of that shade and that might be a bit of a deterrent to a private buyer. Hence I would go for a different colour - perhaps that Scarlet/ Maroon?

Its a great buy for a sensible, no nonsense kind of family person who is buying with the head and not the heart, per se.

I would buy the absolutely top spec if it were for personal use.

Indeed, this is a car well worth considering for my parents, who like the size and power as compared with the I20 that they are presently using.

Either the Etios or the Liva, in its Top Spec would be an ideal choice for them I think and I may well consider it as the next buy whenever we are ready.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th September 2016 at 06:36.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 19:08   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the 'V' variant. Abs and Ebd can be life savers.
A new face lift Etios launch is on the cards on 13th September. Please wait till then.

Handling and cornering should be better with the 185/60/R15 spec tyre than the 170/70/R14. You get a tyre width of 185mm, so more contact with road, that means more stability, plus a bigger rim with lower side wall of 111mm compared to 123mm side wall of the 175/70/R14 spec tyre.

On contrary the ride quality should be more cushioned with the 175/70/R14 spec tyres because of there higher side walls !

At the end my choice will be any day 185/60/R15

The ground clearance and turning radius wont be affected because, if the difference is been calculated in a tyre up-size calculator its a mere 0.98%. The higher side wall of the 175 spec tyre is compensated with a bigger rim in the 185 spec tyre.
I had posted the same query with Toyota Bangalore. I got a call from Uttam Toyota's technical team - this is what they say:

1. Ground clearance of 175/70/R14 - 170 mm; 185/60/R15 - 172 mm
2. Turning radius of 175/70/R14 - 4.9m; 185/60/R15 - 5.1m

They took a lot of time calculating this and they said they were referring to some manuals as well.

I dont know if this is correct.
dileep is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 22:04   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had posted the same query with Toyota Bangalore. I got a call from Uttam Toyota's technical team - this is what they say:

1. Ground clearance of 175/70/R14 - 170 mm; 185/60/R15 - 172 mm
2. Turning radius of 175/70/R14 - 4.9m; 185/60/R15 - 5.1m

They took a lot of time calculating this and they said they were referring to some manuals as well.

I dont know if this is correct.
Show them this pic and ask them if they have lied on their website that the turning radius is 4.9 m for both the V and G variants.

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-turning_radius.png

Also, every single automobile website refers to the Etios post 2014 as having a ground clearance of 174 mm. And there was no difference mentioned for G and V variants. Ask them for the source from which they got this crazy figures of 170 and 172 mm. Give them this link on team-bhp as well.
amalji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 22:22   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

64,000kms up with two small niggles and horn upgrade.

1) I was on a narrow busy street so decided to put my driver side power window down to fold the right ORVM. It went down half way and got stuck! I was like ! I tried to take it up and down but it was not working. Drove for few kilometers and it started working of its own. On the way back it got stuck twice.
Next day called my SE at Saini Toyota to whom i always give my car for servicing. On hearing the issue, he told me to spray some WD40 inside the channels, the problem will be solved. Its due to dust.
I don't have WD40 instead i had a GO20 spray from Groz which works in a similar way. I sprayed it inside the channel and voila! It was perfect. In-fact the up and down became faster too! So decided to apply it inside all the four windows channels! Got a bit excited and applied it to the clutch cable joining, and all the locks & latches too! Things are smoother than before! After this, have driven the car for the next one week and its absolutely fine.

Damage to pocket- Nil as i had the spray from before!

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_6635.jpg

2) Suddenly noticed my left head lamp was weaker than the right one, so took my car to a DecoWorld (a car accessory shop). They have a very experienced electrician. He checked and found out one of the pin of the head light bulb got lose. So changed the old Philips rally vision 90/100 to a new Philips rally vision 90/100 on the left side. After changing things were better but not perfect. So he opened the relay and cleaned the jack holders and put it back. After cleaning and putting it back things were perfect. Actually there were some sulfur deposits on the relay and fuse points.

Damage to pocket- RS 220 for bulb

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_6633.jpg

3) The horn upgrade was an impromptu decision. While at Decoworld i was seeing the horns kept in display. Etios had one horn, so decided to upgrade to a Minda jalwa horn with a relay. It was done in half an hour! Now the truck drivers are changing their lanes and allowing me to pass!

Damage to pocket- Rs850 for horn + RS370 for relay & labor , total = Rs 1220

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_6634.jpg

Rest the car is doing absolutely fine. A wide grin on the face is constant, when ever am on the highways! Though my diesel Figo works out to be much cheaper on fuel expenses but still for the fun to drive factor i take the petrol Etios on the highways more & save the Figo for the twisty roads & more city drives! Some times i feel, i have the best of both the worlds - Etios for the arrow straight highways & Figo for the twisty ghat roads or the congested highways where one needs more zigzagging!

Hope both of them to serve many more trouble free miles!
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-12342384_968956106509616_5215261561402468315_n.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 20th September 2016 at 22:37.
Samba is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 07:37   #207
BHPian

I'm nearing the purchase of the new Platinum Etios V petrol. The car should be delivered in 2-3 days.

I have a question about running in...

I read in the forum that it is recommended to change the engine oil at 1000km. Quote: "Team-BHP recommends that you change your engine oil after the first 1,000 km. As with all new engines, you will find that some metal slivers have found their way into the oil. From this point onward you can stick to the manufacturer recommended intervals."

It is not mentioned that the oil filter too needs to be replaced. Any advice...

Also I need to drive soon after delivery to the mountains. It would be a flat highway for 250km and hill driving for 150km each way (total 800km).

The forum recommends Quote: "For a petrol engine, don't allow the RPMs to go over 2,500 for the first 1,000 km." At 2500 RPM what kind of speed would Etios give on a flat road? I understand that I will need to keep varying my speeds to run in the car well.

I remember that when I bought my Qualis 15 years back, I had taken a long highway trip to run it in. It worked perfectly well for 15 years (2 lakh km) - fuel efficiency still is in the range of 13-15km per litre of diesel. But since the Qualis did not have a tachometer I just drove according to the speed.
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 23:13   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm nearing the purchase of the new Platinum Etios V petrol. The car should be delivered in 2-3 days.

I have a question about running in...
Congrats in advance, please post few pics of your new car once you get it, and a ownership review of the car in Team Bhp will be even better!

Etios Petrol's owners manual suggest not to cross 80km/hr for the first 300kms. I did so and didn't cross 120 km/hr till 1000 kms. At 3k rpm Etios does around 120km/hr. Best is to keep around 2.5k rpm and occasional 3k rpm. Its always good to vary the rpm during the run in period.

Even i asked Toyota to change the engine oil during the 1st service at 1000kms but they told its not required as the oil was absolutely fine and they were correct. My first engine oil change was at 10,000kms. Since then am using fully synthetic oil from Toyota and the car is doing absolutely fine.

Last edited by Samba : 25th September 2016 at 23:24.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 06:55   #209
BHPian

Got delivery of my Etios V yesterday

Owner's Manual suggests only this for running in -

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-running_in.jpg

I'll be starting a thread once I drive it a bit...
Old 16th October 2016, 13:18   #210
BHPian

Quote:
[b]

Damage to pocket- RS 220 for bulb

Attachment 1556751
Is the box labelled 'Relay and Fuse' on the right a stock OEM fitment, or something you had fitted aftermarket?
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed