Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 21:11   #16
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Congrats for your 100th post.

Am sorry its my bad you wrote the right thing i missed it out. Any ways you check this, one for a closer view.
Attachment 1091252
Thank you very much, Samba.

This is the comparison I was trying to show. The New Etios has got one crease which is very dominant and looks very nice, IMO. Have a look yourself.

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-new.png
Old Etios Pic Source: Autocarindia.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 21:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Thank you very much, Samba.

This is the comparison I was trying to show. The New Etios has got one crease which is very dominant and looks very nice, IMO. Have a look yourself.
Thanks Loud for your great effort. Yes even i have seen this in the showroom too.

The new Etios has improved in many considerable area's let me point a few which i noticed at the showroom few days back-

1) Hydraulic engine mount instead of the rubber mounts in the old Etios. Its reduced the starting vibration.

2) Better insulation. Its includes a insulation pad inside the boot lid too.

3) Better looking tail lamps.

4) The chrome in the front grill is slightly different.

5) Improved interiors, speedometer console color is changed to blue from white, adjustable head rests are also given.

6) A new color is introduced.

7) Improved music system with Bluetooth.

8) New Etios even comes with a stiffer shock absorber which has nullified the thud sound which many of the previous owners complaint about. But Toyota is changing the shockers for the previous owners too, to the new one under warranty. I have got mine done. The thud sound vanished and the handling improved too.

9) The new Etios looks a overall better package than the one i own. Am happy Toyota is addressing to the complaints they got from there customer feedback's.

10)In accessories they are now offering a removable rear arm rest. Which can be put to the older cars too.

Last edited by Samba : 1st June 2013 at 21:42.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 21:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
5) Improved interiors, speedometer console color is changed to blue from white, adjustable head rests are also given.
Well, Toyota has done a good step by listening to customer's feedback and improvising the area of complaint in the new facelift version.

But, still, there are a few flaws in the interiors-

1. The speedometer console colour has been changed to BLUE but this is not by LEDs or Backlighting, Toyota has simply painted the meter area in blue, which IMO looks cheap. You have a better option now. You can change your dashboard lights to Blue LEDs, which would look similar to the new Etios and would also not look cheap in daylight as in the new Etios.

2. The centrally mounted console needs getting used to. I personally don't prefer it, to be true.

However, there are many improvements in the interiors-

1. The interior is now flooded with beige. This is a great step ahead of the old Etios. +1 to Toyota for this.

2. There are a list of accessories (don't know if they were available earlier also) like wooden gear knob, wooden armrest, etc. which give the option to owners to upgrade the premium level of their Etios'.

-----

Quote:
Old Etios Pic Source: Autocarindia.
MODS: In this post, I have written 'Old Etios Pic Source' by mistake. Please correct it to 'NEW Etios Pic Source'. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Last edited by Loud : 1st June 2013 at 21:54.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 00:57   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

But, still, there are a few flaws in the interiors-

1. The speedometer console colour has been changed to BLUE but this is not by LEDs or Backlighting, Toyota has simply painted the meter area in blue, which IMO looks cheap. You have a better option now. You can change your dashboard lights to Blue LEDs, which would look similar to the new Etios and would also not look cheap in daylight as in the new Etios.

2. The centrally mounted console needs getting used to. I personally don't prefer it, to be true.
I kind of agree that the white looks better than the new blue one.

Even i personally didn't liked the center console but believe me once you get used to it, its really good.
The things in the center console i don't like are the digital fuel meter is too small, there are not enough information's like distance to empty or average fuel consumption. A rpm meter in 'G' variant is also missing. I some times miss a heat meter too, may be am an old school driver. The competition has these all. Atleast in the revised version, Toyota should have considered these things. The console is too basic for my likings. Instead of adding a music system to the "G' variant Toyota could have give the rpm meter. As music systems are available anywhere. Getting a rpm meter installed is a far more difficult job.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 21:05   #20
BHPian

Thank you Samba for sharing such a detailed review of your no nonsense Etios. Apart from the Regular official review of Etios one can surely bank on this writeup to have a complete idea of how Etios Petrol performs. The review is that detailed. Service and other details are like icing on the cake. 5* thread.

Talking about the car itself, I remember I drove the car when it was launched. It is quite a long time back but I recollect the drive to interesting. Petrol variant as has been mentioned many a times is quite fun to drive. And the overall package is quite practical.

Engine feels like a proper 100 bhp car with very good lower end response. Suspension is quite good and long wheel base gives it good stability for a such light sedan.

Among the things I didn't like was higher level of nvh (something we dont expect from sedans) and light build quality created some doubts in my mind. Two years down the lane, Etios continues to be a well screwed car which in turn answers to my second query. I hope the nvh issue is addressed in the newer variants.

For a dzire owner, Etios does feel a class higher interms of space. I liked the rear seats which were reasonably comfortable during a small trip in a Etios diesel Cab.

Etios and Fiesta 1.6 will be my automatic choices for entry level petrol sedans. I am not a fan of those punny 1.2 litre competitors in the market.

Thanks for sharing. Keep us updated
Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 15:02   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Thank you Samba for sharing such a detailed review of your no nonsense Etios. Apart from the Regular official review of Etios one can surely bank on this writeup to have a complete idea of how Etios Petrol performs. The review is that detailed. Service and other details are like icing on the cake. 5* thread.

Among the things I didn't like was higher level of nvh (something we dont expect from sedans) and light build quality created some doubts in my mind. Two years down the lane, Etios continues to be a well screwed car which in turn answers to my second query. I hope the nvh issue is addressed in the newer variants.

Thanks for sharing. Keep us updated
Thanks Turbokick for your kind words. Am glad you liked it.

I have checked the new Etios, nvh level is much better than my car. But still your Dzire scores more on this note. I have compared diesel Etios and diesel Dzire both. The dzire is more silent than the Etios. May be rubber beading's in the door would have helped better.

Between today is the second birthday of my Etios with 22,300kms on the odometer.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 19:53   #22
BHPian

Beautiful write , up .... I wish you owned a Punto and I could read your review before i bought the calculative monster.

ARAY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 19:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritraray View Post
Beautiful write , up .... I wish you owned a Punto and I could read your review before i bought the calculative monster.

Glad to know you liked it.
Between Punto is a car of such level, that it don't require my certification! Wish you many more happy miles with your Punto.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 15:18   #24
BHPian

Your Etios' 2nd birthday? Wish her 'Happy Birthday' from my side.
The odometer, which currently stands at ~23000 kms, says that you should have bought a diesel for yourself, though there is no denying in the fact that Etios Petrol has a commendable drivability.

Any issues that have cropped up now?
What did you GIFT your Etios on 15th June?
Old 19th June 2013, 22:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your Etios' 2nd birthday? Wish her 'Happy Birthday' from my side.
The odometer, which currently stands at ~23000 kms, says that you should have bought a diesel for yourself, though there is no denying in the fact that Etios Petrol has a commendable drivability.

Any issues that have cropped up now?
What did you GIFT your Etios on 15th June?
My Etios thanked you for wishing in her 2nd birthday.

I gifted her a bumper to bumper insurance renewal in her birthday!

Regarding diesel, i wanted a car with fun to drive factor. In my budget Etios seemed to be the most fun to drive car apart from the fiesta classic. In my first post i have mentioned the reasons why i went for the Etios.

Till now no major issues cropped up. Just one issue that was my front left shock absorber leaked and was replaced under warranty that was at 17,000kms. Apart from this car is running absolutely fine. No problems at all though i have taken her to many bad roads and did some bits of off roading too! You can find the total service history of my Etios at the end of my second post.
Old 19th June 2013, 23:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great review.

I find it odd you got the shock absorbers replaced under warranty at just 21k. Is this a one-off case, was it a recall, or was it because you rode it hard?

With a claimed life of 60k or thereabouts for a car's suspension, it does look a bit strange.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 23:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Great review.

I find it odd you got the shock absorbers replaced under warranty at just 21k. Is this a one-off case, was it a recall, or was it because you rode it hard?

With a claimed life of 60k or thereabouts for a car's suspension, it does look a bit strange.
Thanks.

Actually in the first generation Etios the shock absorbers were more on the softer side and tuned towards more comfort. But on riding over a road hump or a pot hole in decent speed it generated a thud sound. The sound was not harmful but many owners complained about it. Later with the new generation Etios, Toyota changed the shock absorbers with a stiffer one and in the new shock absorber the thud sound was also rectified. So Toyota gave an option to the earlier owners if they want they can change over to the newer shock absorbers. As i encounter a lot of bad roads i decided to go for the change and got it done. It's upto the owner whether he wants it or not. My previous shock absorbers were absolutely fine but i wanted the upgrade. The newer one improved the handling too.

Last edited by Samba : 19th June 2013 at 23:36.
Old 20th June 2013, 21:43   #28

Dear Samba

Thank you for such a detailed ownership review. I remember buying etios just after you got it in 2011, and ever since then, i have not regretted a day for getting this amazing machine.

I was not a car enthusiast (evident from the number of posts on team bhp), but my love for Toyota came from my job which involves procurement of vehicles for United Nations. Since UN only procures Toyota (40 years of partnership) with some very rare purchases going to Mercedes, i had some deep respect for this company. And moreover if someone is a student of supply chain (like me), they would very well know the contribution of Toyota to supply chain principles which even Walmart bows down to, in respect. I was also impresed by the company's commitment to UN road accident prevention efforts, by putting artificial vehicle noise in its silent Prius for pedestrian safety.

After launch of Etios, there were lot of journalists crying fowl over the looks of the car (in my opinion, one car journalist usually talks what the previous one did, to avoid going wrong) and i was apprehensive in getting the car, even after reading on a news article that the car has been tested for 200,000 kms on indian roads before launch.

When i saw 4 Etios being procured by UN, right out of first supply from Japan, i was sure i am getting it. When i saw it in flesh, i never found it bad looking. It has come from dear qin concept and very soon, even corolla will be styled on the same concept.

Anyways, coming back to my purchase, i have completed 14,000 kms in 2 years and my car has been giving me a fantastic mileage of 16.78 kmpl in city (without AC) and 13.4 kmpl (with AC) in city.

I am happy with comfort at low speeds and stability at high speeds, and i have decided not to go for suspensions upgrade as my car never goes to highways. Fortunately for me, nothing has rattled or come off yet, and i hope it remains like that. This is one amazingly engineered car.
toyota_fan_boy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 22:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota_fan_boy View Post
Dear Samba

Thank you for such a detailed ownership review. I remember buying etios just after you got it in 2011, and ever since then, i have not regretted a day for getting this amazing machine.

I was not a car enthusiast (evident from the number of posts on team bhp), but my love for Toyota came from my job which involves procurement of vehicles for United Nations. Since UN only procures Toyota (40 years of partnership) with some very rare purchases going to Mercedes, i had some deep respect for this company. And moreover if someone is a student of supply chain (like me), they would very well know the contribution of Toyota to supply chain principles which even Walmart bows down to, in respect. I was also impresed by the company's commitment to UN road accident prevention efforts, by putting artificial vehicle noise in its silent Prius for pedestrian safety.

After launch of Etios, there were lot of journalists crying fowl over the looks of the car (in my opinion, one car journalist usually talks what the previous one did, to avoid going wrong) and i was apprehensive in getting the car, even after reading on a news article that the car has been tested for 200,000 kms on indian roads before launch.

When i saw 4 Etios being procured by UN, right out of first supply from Japan, i was sure i am getting it. When i saw it in flesh, i never found it bad looking. It has come from dear qin concept and very soon, even corolla will be styled on the same concept.

Anyways, coming back to my purchase, i have completed 14,000 kms in 2 years and my car has been giving me a fantastic mileage of 16.78 kmpl in city (without AC) and 13.4 kmpl (with AC) in city.

I am happy with comfort at low speeds and stability at high speeds, and i have decided not to go for suspensions upgrade as my car never goes to highways. Fortunately for me, nothing has rattled or come off yet, and i hope it remains like that. This is one amazingly engineered car.
Glad to know you liked it.

Yes i remember the days when many used to bash the Etios for unnecessary reasons specially in Facebook. Time proved them to be wrong. The car proved itself to be a typical reliable Toyota.

Am amazed to know about your job profile. Am sure many will envy you for that!

Last but not the least its great to know even your car is doing fine with out any issues. From the beginning i have seen you to be the mileage king for the Etios petrol! I would request you to share your experience over here with your Etios too in the long run.

Last edited by Samba : 22nd June 2013 at 22:04.
Old 23rd June 2013, 23:22   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Update

Faced a minor trouble today. After starting the car i plugged in my mobile charger from the 12v socket but there was no current, i though the charger has gone bad. Started my car tried to put on the stereo its dead. I was like ! Then and there checked all the other electrical's and all were working fine. I suspect a blown fuse. Checked the fuse box inside the bonnet every thing seemed to be fine. So it must have gone from the dashboard fuse box. Tried to locate it but couldn't find it any where. Took my car to my mechanic. After searching for 30 minutes he found it to be located inside the dashboard behind the speedometer console. So he had to remove the whole speedometer console and change the fuse. Good thing was in the engine bay fuse box Toyota has given 3 extra fuse so from there he put one in place of the blown fuse and the work was done.

Am attaching the pictures here so in case any one face any trouble out side can be easier for them.

Fuse box in the engine bay. It has 3 spare fuses.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0271.jpg

The in dash fuse box behind the speedometer console.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0268.jpg
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0269.jpg
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0270.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 23rd June 2013 at 23:28.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed