Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 10:14   #31
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Thanks for sharing the pics of the process, Samba. Nice that Toyota gives 3 extra fuses (incase there is no mechanic available).

One question: When you give your car for service, does Toyota do engine decarbonizing? Maruti is charging for engine decarbonizing. I don't know what it is? Any idea?

Last edited by Loud : 24th June 2013 at 10:18.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 15:04   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics of the process, Samba. Nice that Toyota gives 3 extra fuses (incase there is no mechanic available).

One question: When you give your car for service, does Toyota do engine decarbonizing? Maruti is charging for engine decarbonizing. I don't know what it is? Any idea?
I think most of the modern cars have extra fuse for safety in there engine bay fuse box. Its safer to check them earlier. If they don't provide i would say to buy yourself and keep few extra fuses, they may come handy at times. For my another car i have bought few extra fuses and kept them in the car. But in Etios if any fuse blow from the engine bay fuse box i can replace it myself but if any blows from the in dash fuse box i cant open the meter and all for that it will require a mechanic. I wish Toyota would have given a much easier access to it.

Till now Toyota has not done engine decarbonizing in my car. They have not asked for it too. I dont think its required so early. Engine decarbonising is cleaning off the carbon deposits from the engine specially the piston heads. For that they need to open up the engine and do. It can be done by using certain flushes or chemicals. Regarding Maruti they always suggest to do so. Even they suggested me to do so in my earlier alto when it was at 30,000kms. I simply refused to get it done. I am not expert in this but i don't think doing it above 100,000kms makes much sense. My another car (Fiat Uno) has done over 100,000kms with out engine decarbonizing and its running absolutely fine.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 15:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I think most of the modern cars have extra fuse for safety in there engine bay fuse box. Its safer to check them earlier. If they don't provide i would say to buy yourself and keep few extra fuses, they may come handy at times. For my another car i have bought few extra fuses and kept them in the car. But in Etios if any fuse blow from the engine bay fuse box i can replace it myself but if any blows from the in dash fuse box i cant open the meter and all for that it will require a mechanic. I wish Toyota would have given a much easier access to it.

Till now Toyota has not done engine decarbonizing in my car. They have not asked for it too. I dont think its required so early. Engine decarbonising is cleaning off the carbon deposits from the engine specially the piston heads. For that they need to open up the engine and do. It can be done by using certain flushes or chemicals. Regarding Maruti they always suggest to do so. Even they suggested me to do so in my earlier alto when it was at 30,000kms. I simply refused to get it done. I am not expert in this but i don't think doing it above 100,000kms makes much sense. My another car (Fiat Uno) has done over 100,000kms with out engine decarbonizing and its running absolutely fine.
Yes, will make sure to get extra fuses if not available already in my car. Thanks.

The SA at MASS told Dad that Engine Decarbonizing is a must, when Dad had gone for giving our Alto for Paid Service. The Odometer read 16200 kms at the time of service. Dad, having ZERO knowledge about this term, had agreed to get this engine decarbonizing done.

Let's see what they do with the DZire, which has covered 5500 Kms since it was purchased in Feb '13. I will be there at the next service.
Old 24th June 2013, 15:39   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, will make sure to get extra fuses if not available already in my car. Thanks.

The SA at MASS told Dad that Engine Decarbonizing is a must, when Dad had gone for giving our Alto for Paid Service. The Odometer read 16200 kms at the time of service. Dad, having ZERO knowledge about this term, had agreed to get this engine decarbonizing done.

Let's see what they do with the DZire, which has covered 5500 Kms since it was purchased in Feb '13. I will be there at the next service.
I think this is the best guide on engine decarbonizing. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...mystified.html Please go through it once you will get a clear idea. What ever doubt you have on automobiles just search in Team Bhp and i bet you will be a happy person.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 22:13   #35
BHPian

Thanks Samba for sharing your report. The report was simply too good and the pictures made it even greater.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 23:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Missed your message on FB! This sure is an informative post.

Quote:
After searching for 30 minutes he found it to be located inside the dashboard behind the speedometer console. So he had to remove the whole speedometer console and change the fuse.
Was it hard to remove the speedometer console ? Very weird why Toyota put it there. Toyota designs are normally known for easy serviceability.

Quote:
Good thing was in the engine bay fuse box Toyota has given 3 extra fuse
That's cool.
And thanks a ton for these pictures.

And did you find out the root cause as to why the fuse was blown ?
Did your head lights go off as well ? Which all electrical accessories shared that specific fuse ?

And how did you identify the fuse for the stereo ? You checked it one by one or was there any intelligent labeling which a layman could understand ?
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:30   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Thanks Samba for sharing your report. The report was simply too good and the pictures made it even greater.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Missed your message on FB! This sure is an informative post.

Was it hard to remove the speedometer console ? Very weird why Toyota put it there. Toyota designs are normally known for easy serviceability.

That's cool.
And thanks a ton for these pictures.

And did you find out the root cause as to why the fuse was blown ?
Did your head lights go off as well ? Which all electrical accessories shared that specific fuse ?

And how did you identify the fuse for the stereo ? You checked it one by one or was there any intelligent labeling which a layman could understand ?
Thanks Amalji. Glad to know you liked it.

Removing the speedometer console is not very easy. You need a good mechanic for that. The screw is located inside the dashboard from there they have to open it. Its a good 30 minutes job and you have to be careful too. Plus after fitting back i saw that my front left speaker is also a bit misaligned from the dashboard, it very little so ignored it as of now. Don't want to open up the dash once again and get it fitted properly. May be will get it done later.

Now no idea why the fuse was blown. Only extra fittings in electrical's i have is a Philips plug and play relay for my 90/100 bulb. I don't think that has anything to do with the blown fuse. Before putting the relay i have asked the Toyota service center whether i can put one and they only recommended me to go for it. Their only concern was i should not cut any wires that's it. The current fuse was 15amp one which was blown and i replaced it with a 20amp one.

The things gone were there was no power at the 12v socket so mobile charger was not working and the music system was dead. Only these two were affected.

Now identifying the fuse for this was a trial and error method no labeling given. Now as i know i can tell you its the 5th fuse from the left hand side.

For more information on fuse check out page number 261,262 & 263 on the owners manual.

Last edited by Samba : 2nd July 2013 at 00:38.
Old 6th July 2013, 19:21   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

2 updates.

1) As once the fuse blown i took my car to Toyota for a check up of the circuit. They checked that with a meter connected to the car battery and told everything is fine. It must be a bad luck that the fuse have blown. Plus as per Toyota the fuse for stereo and the 12v socket was 15 ampere and i replaced it with a 20 ampere fuse so the Toyota guys told its always safe to stick to the ampere suggested by Toyota. So they once again changed it back to 15 amperes. They didn't charge me anything for this.

2)Today morning while doing a routine check up i was checking the tyres of the car and i just noticed a side wall cut in the rear right tyre. Took it to a tyre shop and they told they will give a patch from inside and i can use it as a stepney but not as a regular tyre. But i was a bit skeptical in keeping a defective tyre even as a stepney. So went to a tyre dealer and replaced the defective tyre with a new goodyear tyre as my car came with good years. The 175/65/R14 costed me 4000 inr.

Last edited by Samba : 6th July 2013 at 19:40.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 20:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
2 updates.

1) As once the fuse blown i took my car to Toyota for a check up of the circuit. They checked that with a meter connected to the car battery and told everything is fine. It must be a bad luck that the fuse have blown. Plus as per Toyota the fuse for stereo and the 12v socket was 15 ampere and i replaced it with a 20 ampere fuse so the Toyota guys told its always safe to stick to the ampere suggested by Toyota. So they once again changed it back to 15 amperes. They didn't charge me anything for this.

2)Today morning while doing a routine check up i was checking the tyres of the car and i just noticed a side wall cut in the rear right tyre. Took it to a tyre shop and they told they will give a patch from inside and i can use it as a stepney but not as a regular tyre. But i was a bit skeptical in keeping a defective tyre even as a stepney. So went to a tyre dealer and replaced the defective tyre with a new goodyear tyre as my car came with good years. The 175/65/R14 costed me 4000 inr.
The mechanics (local) should be careful while giving fuses. Thankfully, he didn't gave you a 10 Ampere fuse in that 12V socket. Nice to hear that Toyota changed it for free to a 15 Amp one. (Q-Class service for a not-so-Q-class car, shall I say?)

And, I appreciate you on your decision to replace the damaged tyre with a new one, without thinking of jugaads to fix it.
The damaged tyre, even as a stepney, could have been dangerous in a situation, for example, when a tyre is punctured at night hours (when you don't find local mechanics) and when the distance to be covered in the spare tyre is long, or when the road conditions are not favorable. Good!

Any updates on the mileage figures of your Etios?
Old 6th July 2013, 21:05   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(Q-Class service for a not-so-Q-class car, shall I say?)

Any updates on the mileage figures of your Etios?
Am not sure what Q class means, if Q determines quality then quality wise Etios has not disappointed me till now. No rattles or squeakes, no unwanted problem cropped in, except one which i have mentioned earlier. My front left shock absorber leaked once and was replaced under warranty and the second one was a minor blown out fuse of the stereo.

The mileage is same as i have mentioned in my second post on this thread. But as you asked recently have not done any highway run, car is running mostly in city. Its around 13-14 non Ac and 11-13 with Ac.

Last edited by Samba : 6th July 2013 at 21:06.
Old 7th July 2013, 23:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure what Q class means, if Q determines quality then quality wise Etios has not disappointed me till now. No rattles or squeakes, no unwanted problem cropped in, except one which i have mentioned earlier. My front left shock absorber leaked once and was replaced under warranty and the second one was a minor blown out fuse of the stereo.
Agree with you completely. It's a fantastic car in terms of quality. 36,000 hassle free kms for me on my Etios VD till now. Just came back after a 400 kms drive to Parambikulam Tiger Reserve with 5 passengers + a 70% filled boot.
1st gear crawling through 'roadless roads' without a single scrap under the belly ( Thanks mainly to Toyota's newly designed suspensions for the Etios which they replaced free of charge for me ). No rattles as well.

The more I use it, the more I fall in love with it.
Q stands true for the vehicle design as well as their service.

A teaser of Parambikulam trip -

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-parambi1.jpg
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 00:10   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1st gear crawling through 'roadless roads' without a single scrap under the belly ( Thanks mainly to Toyota's newly designed suspensions for the Etios which they replaced free of charge for me ).

A teaser of Parambikulam trip -
Thanks Amalji. That's a killer picture of your Etios, just loved it.

As you said after the suspension upgrade your car has not scrapped even once, even in my car its the same case too plus the thud sound on bad roads is now history & also the handling improved a lot.

I 100% agree with you 'The more I use it, the more I fall in love with it.'

Last edited by Samba : 8th July 2013 at 00:17.
Old 9th July 2013, 11:38   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mainly to Toyota's newly designed suspensions for the Etios which they replaced free of charge for me
Hi amalji did Nippon Toyota replace even the rear suspension free of charge for you? Or how does only front suspension upgrade prevent underbody scraping?
Old 9th July 2013, 12:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post

Hi amalji did Nippon Toyota replace even the rear suspension free of charge for you? Or how does only front suspension upgrade prevent underbody scraping?
No, just the front side because I find the old rear suspensions very comfortable.
A stiff front suspension is critical for better ground clearance. The very soft old design used to let the car go low every time the car gets down into a pot hole. The new one holds it harder.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 00:41   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Update-

Car is nearing 24,000kms. Doing good as of now, no complaints. Did a 400kms round trip a week back with 4 people on board. With 50% usage of ac car returned a mileage of 16km/liter.

Due to monsoon roads are full of broken stretch and pot holes in and around Kolkata. One thing i noticed is with the upgraded shock absorbers car has not scrapped the underbelly even once and that too in bad and uneven stretches. So upgrade of the shock absorbers are highly recommended. It improved the handling plus it reduced the chances of underbelly scrapping. Am confirming it after using the car extensively for around 6 months in all kind of stretches.

Etios enjoying the monsoon showers in NH6 at night.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-1004500_10201083869676570_328667673_n.jpg
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks