Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2013, 00:37   #61
BHPian

iPhone in Etios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
Regarding rear speakers, I didn't get any calls yet. Will wait for 1 more day and then forward the previous mail again.
Forwarded the previous mails with a reminder note but still no response from Toyota's end

Samba, I was wondering whether iPhone can be charged via the USB port of the HU or do I need a USB car charger adapter.
Apple Master is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 03:09   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: iPhone in Etios

Quote:

Samba, I was wondering whether iPhone can be charged via the USB port of the HU or do I need a USB car charger adapter.
Well that's a good question but i never tried that. Once by using a over ratted mobile charged in the 12v socket, my 12v socket and the music system (same fuse) was blown. So i never tried charging my iphone with the usb of the HU.

Let us know when Toyota reverts back to you regarding the music system.

Last edited by Samba : 8th November 2013 at 03:10.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 07:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A good quality charger adapter is what I also would recommend. :-)
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 18:56   #64
BHPian

Toyota official verdict regarding rear speakers

Quote:
Forwarded the previous mails with a reminder note but still no response from Toyota's end
Today got a follow up from Toyota in response to my repeated mails. The call actually came from Topsel Toyota, Ruby, kolkata.

What the guy on the phone said was nothing new. It was like listening to a tape recorder, all the Toyota guys saying the same thing that they wont recommend speaker installation, stating reasons discussed earlier in this thread.
Old 12th November 2013, 22:44   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Well now its up to you whether you want to void the warranty and go for the speakers or not. My recommendation will be not to void the warranty.

Last edited by Samba : 12th November 2013 at 22:56.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 22:58   #66
BHPian

Samba, I definitely won't go for it immediately. Will see if I really need it and then take a decision later.

Thank you brother
Old 21st November 2013, 23:15   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

27,000kms Update

Car is going strong. No complaints. Just a minor glitch. The factory fitted horn was malfunctioning, so changed it with a Hella single horn as Etios came with a single horn from Toyota.

Did a couple of long drives in between one was 400kms long and the other was 1200kms long. Car behaved perfectly. Mileage i got in both the drives where above 15 with 70% ac. City mileage is 13-14 non ac and 11-12 with ac.

Till now i have not done wheel balancing or alignment for a single time though Etios has negotiated the Himalayan roads plus many bad rural roads in and around Bengal. I asked Toyota to do so after the long drives but they tested the car and reported its not required! Leave the steering wheel the car goes straight, at any speed there is no vibration in the steering too. Plus there is no uneven wear and tear in any tyres. Still at 30,000 kms service i will insist Toyota to do it once. At 20,000kms Toyota interchanged the rear wheels to the front and the front ones to the rear.

After 2years 5 months and 27,000kms i can say till now its a fill it shut it forget it kind of a car.

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_8209.jpg

Well at 27,000kms mark today Etios went to do the PDI of her new friend who will be joining the family soon.

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0958.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 21st November 2013 at 23:20.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:09   #68
BHPian

Nice thread. Just read the whole thing. Surprised at the efficiency, it's diesel like. It's like you bought a diesel car at the price of a petrol one, great going.
milu2fast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 23:10   #69
BHPian

I recently drove my friend's Etios Petrol for a couple of hours and was amazed at the drivability of the car. Even in third gear at low speed where normally other cars would tell you to downshift, just a mere push of the accelerator and she pulled cleanly in same gear. I simply loved the engine- excellent low RPM response. Absolute fun to drive and looking at your thread, it's a no-nonsense car.
headbanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 23:49   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milu2fast View Post
Nice thread. Just read the whole thing. Surprised at the efficiency, it's diesel like. It's like you bought a diesel car at the price of a petrol one, great going.
Thanks, regarding mileage i can tell one thing if you drive Etios with light foot it gives good mileage. I just shift early and use the torque. I try to drive as smooth as possible with less braking and gear changing. Once in highway i drove at steady 70 with windows rolled up and ac off. Etios returned me 20km/ltr. Where as on another trip i was doing 120 up with ac and i got just around 13km/ltr. Managing 15 + in highways is easily possible if one drives a bit carefully by not exceeding the three digit speeds. I often manage around 18km/ltr by keeping steady 90-100 with 50% ac.

One thing i must add is i use fully synthetic engine oil from Toyota in my car so whether that adds to the mileage or not i have no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
I recently drove my friend's Etios Petrol for a couple of hours and was amazed at the drivability of the car. Even in third gear at low speed where normally other cars would tell you to downshift, just a mere push of the accelerator and she pulled cleanly in same gear. I simply loved the engine- excellent low RPM response. Absolute fun to drive and looking at your thread, it's a no-nonsense car.
Yes i agree with you. Etios pulls effortlessly in 3rd gear at low speeds. While crossing roads humps also i generally don't have to shift to 1st until speed comes below 10km/hr, it pulls easily from 2nd. The 132nm torque backed up by its light weight and 1500cc engine is the key of the fun to drive nature of the Etios.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 16:18   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

Thanks, regarding mileage i can tell one thing if you drive Etios with light foot it gives good mileage. I just shift early and use the torque. I try to drive as smooth as possible with less braking and gear changing. Once in highway i drove at steady 70 with windows rolled up and ac off. Etios returned me 20km/ltr. Where as on another trip i was doing 120 up with ac and i got just around 13km/ltr. Managing 15 + in highways is easily possible if one drives a bit carefully by not exceeding the three digit speeds. I often manage around 18km/ltr by keeping steady 90-100 with 50% ac.

One thing i must add is i use fully synthetic engine oil from Toyota in my car so whether that adds to the mileage or not i have no clue.

Yes i agree with you. Etios pulls effortlessly in 3rd gear at low speeds. While crossing roads humps also i generally don't have to shift to 1st until speed comes below 10km/hr, it pulls easily from 2nd. The 132nm torque backed up by its light weight and 1500cc engine is the key of the fun to drive nature of the Etios.
I should have learned driving from where you did. My driving makes liva diesel give 16-17kmpl and everyone else in the family gets 19-20kmpl. 13kmpl with those speeds and AC from a 1.5l petrol engine is astounding. My earlier swift wouldn't come anywhere near that Mark even with a smaller engine. Toyota you little brilliance!
milu2fast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 18:40   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milu2fast View Post
I should have learned driving from where you did. My driving makes liva diesel give 16-17kmpl and everyone else in the family gets 19-20kmpl. 13kmpl with those speeds and AC from a 1.5l petrol engine is astounding. My earlier swift wouldn't come anywhere near that Mark even with a smaller engine. Toyota you little brilliance!

I learn't driving from my dad! What i understand is you are a fast driver so may be you get less mileage! A bit of sedate driving can fetch better mileage from you. But again for the sake of mileage i would say do not compromise with your driving style. Drive the way you are comfortable at, after all its 'Live to drive' not 'Live for Mileage'.

Last edited by Samba : 24th November 2013 at 18:41.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 00:19   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

A small update and my Etios wishes a very Happy New Year to all the Team Bhpians.

New year started with a 554kms drive. What else can be a better way to start a new year! It was a trip with my family and Bhpian Tacho9000 accompanied me on the trip. We got some real open highways where doing 100 miles per hour was too a safe bet, some long traffic jams where you had to maneuver with extreme cautiousness to get rid of the truck traffic , few bad roads, no roads, a hot noon when we had to put on the ac, a chilled evening when we had to put on the heater. So its was thoroughly a mixed badge but at the end we enjoyed the trip to our utmost. With this trip Etios touched the 28,000kms mark.

Once again Etios behaved flawlessly. The mileage was around 15 with 4 people on board and driving at 3 digit speed most of the time. The handling was really good and once again i thank Toyota for upgrading to the stiffer shock absorbers. It really made a remarkable difference in terms of handling and negotiating bad roads.

A minor glitch i must mention over here. While going in the morning whenver i was applying the brakes, say over 120km/hr the car was vibrating/shuddering a bit. I could feel it in the steering wheel and the brake padel. But while braking below 100 there was absolutely no issues. Without braking there was absolutely no vibration and i touched 160 once and the car was absolutely fine and smooth. But while returning i noticed that the vibration has significantly reduced while braking over 120km/hr. My guess is the brake shoe's are needed to be cleaned once or it has got a bit of uneven wear and tear which got a bit smoothed up on the long journey. The car is currently at 28,000kms, a servicing is due at 30,000kms. So during the service i will ask Toyota to check this once.

Well as other Etios owners i too confess its a boring car. Writing an ownership report for an Etios is really tough as you don't get much to write! Its like top up the fuel tank run the car, get it serviced at regular intervals and you are done with it! But at the end of the day i must say am loving the ownership experience of the Etios. Till now i used to say once a Fiat always a Fiat and i still say that ( Fiat is a heart car) but Toyota's hassle free nature also justifies the statement once a Toyota always a Toyota! Till now i give a thumbs up to Etios and hope to continue this hassle free experience with this car in the future too.

Last edited by Samba : 4th January 2014 at 00:27.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 07:16   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

That's really good that your Toyota Etios gives you such high mileage. I too get similar mileage figures with sedate driving in my 2012 Honda City. It also pulls very nicely in 3rd gear at low speeds.

Recently I rented a Etios cab D-4D to drive from Bangalore to Mysore. The car pulled flawlessly. Even though a diesel, hardly any noise. Imagine it was a driver driven and trust me, he was not the best as he had a real heavy foot during pickup. But still I was impressed with the torque even in the co-drivers seat. I am sure with his driving habits he must be getting slightly low mileage but besides this, point here is the Toyota Etios D-4D is also a good engine.

I think Honda & Toyota cars have really good engines. If one drives with a light foot & treats the cars with respect, one can get maximum mileage.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 09:43   #75
BHPian

Coming in a bit late but better late than never. I along with bhpian Samba and his family had gone on a long trip on new year's day that is 1st january 2014. I do agree that there is no better way to starting a new year than a long drive for us petrolheads.

The car of choice for this trip was the mighty TOYOTA ETIOS 1.5L PETROL and as expected from the japanese giant this car has already proved to be immensely practical efficient and more or less fun to drive with great space. The day started off with a cool weather neccessitating nothing to be used to keep us comfortable. However as the day progressed temperatures climbed neccessitating the usage of AC though in the evening thanks to the chill in the air heater too was also used.

The car performed flawlessly with early morning empty to sparsely trafficked highways on which any car will try to touch it's top speed. It's that tempting to speed up but since the highway was eitherways empty hence we cruised easily in triple speeds. The breakfast break at Saktigarh consisting of hot puri sabji and lyangcha(A local favourite) was of 15mins and we sailed into durgapur in 2hrs 15mins flat thanks to the road conditions with a refueling at saktigarh. Post durgapur road conditions became okayish till panagarh from where it again improved as we sailed into asansol bypass. It is from asansol bypass that the road condition deteriorated as we moved into the hills of panchet with conditions starting at light broken stretches to bad roads to absolutely no roads. However thanks to the newly designed stiffer front suspension the etios sailed through all the patches except when it bottomed out at one or two places due to misjudgement. Otherwise the entire trip with the etios in full fledged performance was superb. Maintained triple digit speed whilst cruising at ease,overtaking the slow lumbering trucks hogging all the lanes was done with absolute disdain. There was this drunk guy on bike who had come infront of our car whilst it was travelling at speeds close to 80KMPH on the highway and got home with just a bruised ego not arms and legs thanks to the etios' absolutely stunning brakes which even without the ABS shed speed flawlessly. And probably the best part if the fuel efficiency. An overall FE of 15KMPL with high speed driving to driving at a stretch in 1st and 2nd gear only to no road travel is just stupendous from a 1.5L petrol powered sedan with 4 people on board and minimal usage of AC. The space inside was more than enough for all four of us to be comfortably seated and we did not experience even a single bit of fatigue or pain throughout the trip. Infact this car didn't pop a niggle or puncture ever in the entire 500+KMS trip and completed it flawlessly and perfectly. The only one niggle if I may say so was that at higher speeds during braking the steering was vibrating a lot due to vibrations from the brake pads I think so which was also felt in the cabin but as the day progressed and we were returning at night fall the vibrations had reduced quite significantly. I would request other owners to pour in with some opinions but other than this there was absolutely no drama from the car. As most of the toyota owners have said I'll really agree that the ownership of any toyota is utterly boring like fill it,shut it,forget it. A big thumbs up to bhpian Samba for taking me along on this trip and an even bigger salute to the reliability toyota has built into their cars. Attached is the pose given by THE MAN & THE MACHINE

Subhra.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-dscn1144.jpg  

tacho9000 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed