Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2015, 02:00   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Congrats on completing 50000 Kilometers Samba!! Killer pics of the Etios. Good to hear that the car performed flawlessly in Ladakh. I remember that even my Bolero completed 50K kilometers during last years Ladakh trip
Waiting for the travelogue and also for a meet to hear everything from the horse's mouth.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 07:26   #137
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Quite a few trips you've been making and good pictures too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The total bill amount was rs 8,500.
I thought regular Etios servicing never crossed 3 - 4Ks. Will it be possible to post a scanned copy of the bill?

Good luck and drive safe.
isiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 13:48   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post

I thought regular Etios servicing never crossed 3 - 4Ks. Will it be possible to post a scanned copy of the bill?

Good luck and drive safe.
Thanks.

Yes, you are correct. In a regular normal 50,000 kms service Etios petrol wont cost more than rs 2,500.

I paid for the extra work done-
1) I use synthetic engine oil instead of mineral oil. Rs 3200 instead of rs 1700.
2) After the Ladakh trip i proactively got the brake pad and brake shoe checked and cleaned the brake drum. Labor charges apply.
3) Got the ac filter and air filter cleaned. Labor charges apply.
4) Changed a leaked shock absorber in front left side. Rs 2200
5) Got a premium interior clean plus 3m foam wash. Rs 1800.
6)Got the 3m underbelly protection checked and apply on the peeled off area's. Labor charges apply.

Last edited by Samba : 10th September 2015 at 13:50.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 19:05   #139
BHPian

Firstly Congratulations to you Samba for completing 50,000 odd kms on the Odo of the Etios. Good to know that it has been a smooth sail so far and that the Maintenance of the Car is not a Pocket Pincher by any means.

Witnessing the Etios at it's very best during the Ladakh Trip we did together recently, though I am not as good behind the Camera as you are, I still do take the opportunity to share some snaps :

Crossing Delhi :
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-dsc08482-2.jpg

At Pangong :
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-_mg_1631-2.jpg

Enroute Nubra Valley :
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-11988603_10153573119935768_641285295342249357_n.jpg

Enroute Keylong from Tsomoriri :
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-11990618_10153573118580768_1462080239032362488_n.jpg

Enroute Manali from Keylong :
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-11988728_10153573106990768_1314259211051809574_n.jpg

Wishing you unlimited satisfying miles with the ETIOS and a thrilling ownership experience for the times to come.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 10:35   #140

Hi Samba,

Thanks for the in-depth and across-the-years information you have shared in this thread. Etios Petrol is one of the options on my mind in my current car hunt. I am looking at City and Ciaz as options as well. Didn't consider Dzire due to a bit cramped space at the rear. Hoping to strike the tough balance between safety, comfort, space, quality, and cost (both initial and long term). Looks and plushness are secondary (I am reining in my heart even as I typed that :-)). I see the latest Etios catching up on the features like six speakers and rear parking sensors, and doesn't cost as much as a City or a Ciaz, and going by this thread, is a cool car.

I had a few questions. Will be obliged if you could kindly answer.

1. How is the rear bench shoulder/head/leg room and under-thigh support for three adult average built (5'8" tall) passengers for long journeys? I was surprised to see Honda City felt a bit cramped vis-a-vis the Etios on display at the showroom.

2. Will a rear-A/C vent be missed on long journeys with 5 people on board?

3. For a highway driving profile of 85-95 Kmph, plus a push past 100 only to overtake, with five average built 5'8" adults on board, is the power on Etios petrol adequate? The Honda City (an option which I am considering) has a sweet petrol engine. Now I don't need the best-in-class power, but don't want something under-powered either - which I hear a lot in the context of Ciaz.

4. Do you get all your service/fixes done at the showroom? Or are there things better done outside since they don't require specialization and cost less?

5. A general question I guess which applies to all petrol cars: I expect my annual usage to be around 8K kms: 60:40 ratio of city:highway. My service intervals tend to be due to time rather than kms. Should the service interval be annual or once-in-six-months?

Regards,

srideep233.
srideep233 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 13:12   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srideep233 View Post
A general question I guess which applies to all petrol cars: I expect my annual usage to be around 8K kms: 60:40 ratio of city:highway. My service intervals tend to be due to time rather than kms. Should the service interval be annual or once-in-six-months?
Most petrol cars have a service interval of 10000 km or 1 year, whichever is earlier. So annual servicing is enough if you run very less.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 20:37   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Update at 52,000kms.

No major updates. Car is doing fine.
After the Ladakh trip, got the wheel alignment and balancing done for all the 5 tyres and refilled Nitrogen. Total cost- 850rs.

Quote:
I had a few questions. Will be obliged if you could kindly answer.
Thanks and i will be glad to answer all your queries.

Quote:
Hi Samba,
1. How is the rear bench shoulder/head/leg room and under-thigh support for three adult average built (5'8" tall) passengers for long journeys? I was surprised to see Honda City felt a bit cramped vis-a-vis the Etios on display at the showroom.
The head room is more than adequate, the leg space is excellent and the under- thigh support is okay, its not inadequate but could have been better.

Quote:
2. Will a rear-A/C vent be missed on long journeys with 5 people on board?
The AC is very effective. People say Ford Figo's AC is a chiller and we do own a Figo diesel too. I find the Etios AC to be at per with our Figo. I have been on board in Etios with 5 persons and out side temperature was above 40 degree. It has done its job really well. We do not miss a rear AC vent.

Quote:
3. For a highway driving profile of 85-95 Kmph, plus a push past 100 only to overtake, with five average built 5'8" adults on board, is the power on Etios petrol adequate? The Honda City (an option which I am considering) has a sweet petrol engine. Now I don't need the best-in-class power, but don't want something under-powered either - which I hear a lot in the context of Ciaz.
I cant compare it with the new city or Ciaz as i have not driven any of them recently.
But regarding Etios it has enough power and the engine is really fun to drive. 85-95kms/hr is nothing for this car. Etios can easily do much higher speeds and that too with ease in the upper sides of 100km/hr.

Quote:
4. Do you get all your service/fixes done at the showroom? Or are there things better done outside since they don't require specialization and cost less?
Toyota service is really pocket friendly. So i always get it done from Toyota and i do maintain a proper history of all the works done from the very beginning. You can find all in this ownership thread itself.

Quote:
5. A general question I guess which applies to all petrol cars: I expect my annual usage to be around 8K kms: 60:40 ratio of city:highway. My service intervals tend to be due to time rather than kms. Should the service interval be annual or once-in-six-months?
Its annual. The interval is 10,000 kms or 1 year which ever is earlier.

If you have any more doubts or queries please feel free to ask.

Last edited by Samba : 28th September 2015 at 20:39.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 21:23   #143

@Samba: Thanks for the answers!

@Samba, @Arav: Awesome pics gentlemen!

That's it .. I am visiting this place once my son is old enough to appreciate the grandeur of this heaven on earth!
srideep233 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 08:36   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Samba: Thanks for the answers!

@Samba, @Arav: Awesome pics gentlemen!

That's it .. I am visiting this place once my son is old enough to appreciate the grandeur of this heaven on earth!
One option for you would be to wait for the Toyota Vios which is supposed to be released in 2016. That would be an even better car and Toyota usually prices a car aggressively initially and then increase price on an yearly basis. If, I were in your position, I would have definitely waited for VIOS. ( unless if there's something which makes the car an urgent requirement now )
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 09:28   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
One option for you would be to wait for the Toyota Vios which is supposed to be released in 2016. That would be an even better car and Toyota usually prices a car aggressively initially and then increase price on an yearly basis. If, I were in your position, I would have definitely waited for VIOS. ( unless if there's something which makes the car an urgent requirement now )
Thanks Amalji for the info! Googled just now. From the photos, the car looks beautiful and tempting. Those who love Altis' looks will love Vios' as well. Me included. Honda City will surely see some competition.

However, we've seen that for Etios, Toyota fixed several things starting from adding features (like ABS/Airbag across trims, rear-speakers) to even increasing ground clearance across the years. The worry I have is about being among the first few to buy a newly introduced car. The plus point for Etios is it's time-tested. It's my first big spend on a car, and can't afford to go wrong. Thoughts?
Old 29th September 2015, 10:46   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amalji for the info! Googled just now. From the photos, the car looks beautiful and tempting. Those who love Altis' looks will love Vios' as well. Me included. Honda City will surely see some competition.

However, we've seen that for Etios, Toyota fixed several things starting from adding features (like ABS/Airbag across trims, rear-speakers) to even increasing ground clearance across the years. The worry I have is about being among the first few to buy a newly introduced car. The plus point for Etios is it's time-tested. It's my first big spend on a car, and can't afford to go wrong. Thoughts?
With any other manufacturer, your concerns stay true. But, not with the likes of Toyota. Samba's is one of the first Etios in India. And mine in one of the first Etios diesel in India ( I got it within the first month of release ). Yes there were a few bugs. But, all of them were promptly taken care of by Toyota. ( like the new suspension design which took care of thud sound and underbody scraping, a software bug which forced the vehicle to go into safe mode when it was not really required ). Even when the new hydraulic engine mounts came, that was backward compatible for the old models. So, I could get one fitted with just 3,000 INR extra.

And regarding dependability, etios has already won the J D power dependability award in its segment. And the survey was conducted on 2011 cars. So, that means etios won the dependability awards based on the the cars manufactured on the very first year of its release. And as an owner, I can vouch for how serious Toyota is about dependability and durability. My etios diesel has covered 84,000 kms on the odo. There is not a single non periodic replacement of a mechanical part other than the proactive replacements from Toyota to fix design bugs. Terms like tie rod end, steering rattle, bearing, lower arm are forgotten terms after the purchase of this Toyota.

Yes, incremental changes will come. But, the first design of Vios should still be better than the matured etios. Vios is to etios, what Innova was to Qualis. Toyota would surely have taken the learnings from etios, when they design Vios for India.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 13:26   #147

Thanks Amalji for the details. The Vios pics plus your Innova-Qualis comment are making me re-think. In fact I am not in a hurry. I was in two minds anyway about whether to wait until Jan to buy a 2016 model. From the available info on the web, Vios seems to be planned for release 'early' next year, which I think may mean first half of 2016. Family has been pretty excited after the recent test drive of Honda City. I'll face a few frowns at home once they hear there's one more option to consider - that too something six months away. Hopefully the Vios pics may calm them down
Old 30th September 2015, 09:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amalji for the details. The Vios pics plus your Innova-Qualis comment are making me re-think. In fact I am not in a hurry. I was in two minds anyway about whether to wait until Jan to buy a 2016 model. From the available info on the web, Vios seems to be planned for release 'early' next year, which I think may mean first half of 2016. Family has been pretty excited after the recent test drive of Honda City. I'll face a few frowns at home once they hear there's one more option to consider - that too something six months away. Hopefully the Vios pics may calm them down
Owning a Toyota is an altogether different experience. If durability, cheap cost of maintenance, quality of service and comfort is your top most priority, don't even look for any other brand. Nothing comes even near to what Toyota offers. Vios is worth the wait. Try convincing your family.
Old 30th September 2015, 10:06   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Owning a Toyota is an altogether different experience. If durability, cheap cost of maintenance, quality of service and comfort is your top most priority, don't even look for any other brand. Nothing comes even near to what Toyota offers. Vios is worth the wait. Try convincing your family.
Yes those are my top priorities. And I showed them the snaps. Wasn't hard to convince them
srideep233 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 09:02   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes those are my top priorities. And I showed them the snaps. Wasn't hard to convince them
And I hope, you have already seen this preview of Vios from OD -

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks