Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 00:40   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
@Samba - thanks for the thread. Yours and Amalji's post influenced my decision to a good degree. One question - what is your opinion on the stock headlamps and fog lamps? Did you install cutouts and go for higher watt bulbs? Personally I found the performance terrible on highways.
Glad to know my and Amalji's thread helped you in taking your decision.

The fog lamps in Etios are pretty useless. The spread is really poor. I have used them in dense fog too. Even in fog they are of little use. With the high beam i generally keep them on so i get a more uniform light for the whole range. To improve the fog lamps you can go for aftermarket Led bulbs. Something like this-(Sharing the link just for reference. I do not have any first hand experience with this particular product, so with a bit of research on these you can go ahead for a similar set up) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/One-P...5-08a9611c4743

For the head lights, i have upgraded to Philips 90/100 rally vision bulbs with Philips plug and play relay. For the past 3 years am using this set up in Etios and am pretty satisfied with the results. I use the same set up in my Figo too and the result is satisfactory. You can go for it. It will definitely improve the light and aid you more confidence in night driving.

Last edited by Samba : 12th May 2016 at 00:49.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 00:22   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Etios turns 5 with around 60,000kms on the odometer.

Today is the 5th birthday of our Etios. The car performed flawlessly and we have many awesome memories together. The smiling face of the car has kept its owner smiling too for these 5 years. The car is going strong and we have no intention of selling it in the near future. So paid a road tax of Rs 37,055 and its good to go for the next five years.

The 60,000 kms service is due, this month end. After that will share the total expenses of all the service's with the split ups.

Till then a little flash back or rather a summary of our enjoyment list !

Driving on the snow - Check

Driving inside the forest - Check

Driving on the worlds highest motorable road - Check

Driving on sand in India's cold desert- Check

Driving on the beach and splashing sea water - Check

A bit of mild off roading or rather soft roading in an otr event - Check

Driving on a river bed and crossing mild water crossings - Check

Having fun on the highways - Check

Doing the odd job of carrying heavy luggage - Check

Lastly using it for my work within the city - Check

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-desktop.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 15th June 2016 at 00:45.
Samba is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 01:07   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

60,000kms service update-

Got it done from Saini Toyota.

Works done- Changed engine oil (Synthetic oil), oil filter, ac filter, wiper blade, spark plugs, Clutch cable, left rear tail lamp, rear brake shoe assembly both side inspection and cleaning ,front disc brake pad both side inspection. Cost- rs 8,500

Time taken - 4-5 hrs.

Saini Toyota once again did a great job, am happy with the over all experience with them. With the new clutch cable the clutch pedal feels atleast 30% softer than before and the gear shift also feels a bit more smoother than before.

The over all maintenance cost over these 5 years and 60,000kms -

A short summary of the car's visit to service centres/ Fng's apart from the regular service maintenance -

1)6000 kms- To replace the fuel hose as it was a recall from Toyota.
Cost- 0

2)A leaked shock absorber at 18,000kms. Cost -0 (Changed under warranty).

3) Upgraded the stock front shock absorbers to the stiffer shock absorbers under warranty at 22,000kms. Toyota gave there customers a choice and I opted for it. Cost – 0

4) At 23,000kms changed one tyre due to side wall cut. Cost rs 3,400

5) A blown out fuse at 22,000kms due to using a faulty mobile charger. Toyota changed the fuse for free.

6)The stock horn was replaced at 27,000kms due to malfunction. Cost-100rs.

7) At 34,290 kms the following parts were changed. Front disc pads with rotors, rear left shock absorber had a leak so replaced both of them. Cost- Rs 11,599

8) At 34,700kms an anti rattling kit was installed due to a kat kat sound coming from the dashboard area. Though the sound vanished of its own, we still installed the anti rattling kit. Cost rs- 501.

9) At 44,000kms changed all the 5 tyres to Yokokama Earth 1. (185/65/R14) Rs- 22,000. New Exide mileage battery- rs 3200

10) At 45,000kms there was a silent recall from Toyota to change the front seat belt Pre-tensioners Cost – 0

11) At 51,000 kms front left shock absorber was changed. Cost rs 2200.

12) At 60,000kms changed the Clutch cable costing around rs 1300.
Plus changed the rear left tail lamp. Cost rs 1400.

Scheduled 1 year/10,000kms services -

1) 1000kms- 1st servicing. Cost- 0

2) 10,000kms- 2nd servicing- Changed engine oil and oil filter. (synthetic oil.) Cost- rs-2,800

3) 20,000kms- 3rd servicing. Changed engine oil (Synthetic oil), oil filter, 4 spark plugs, rotation of tyres and greasing the side walls of the tyres. Cost-rs 3,400

4) 30,000kms- 4th Servicing. Changed engine oil (Synthetic oil), oil filter, ac filter, wiper blade. 30,000km service inspection cost, rear brake shoe assembly both side inspection ,front disc brake pad both side inspection cost- rs 5,240.

5) 40,000kms- 5th Service. Changed engine oil (Synthetic oil), oil filter, 4 spark plugs, Brake fluid. Cost- rs 5,500

6) 50,000kms- 6th service Engine oil (Synthetic oil) and oil filter change, Wiper washer fluid top up ,3m under body check up ,Foam wash to the exterior body ,Premium interior clean.
The only added attention the car needed was the change of the front left shockabsorber. Its developed a leak.,Got the air filter and ac filter cleaned too ,Brakes shoes/pads checked and cleaned. The total bill amount was rs 8,500.

7) 60,000kms- 7th Service. Changed engine oil (Synthetic oil), oil filter, ac filter, wiper blade, 4 spark plugs, Clutch cable, left rear tail lamp, rear brake shoe assembly both side inspection, front disc, brake pads both side inspection. Cost- rs 8,500

Total cost over the 5 years including service, parts changed, tyres, battery = Rs- 74,740. That's approximately Rs 1.24 per km.

Excluding the tyres and battery, cost per km is Rs 0.77.

Last edited by Samba : 24th June 2016 at 01:22.
Samba is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 14:22   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

[b]Total cost over the 5 years including service, parts changed, tyres, battery = Rs- 74,740. That's approximately Rs 1.24 per km.
Although the Rs 1.24 per km seems to be a tad high for a Japanese Petrol car (especially a Toyota), this car actually represents the higher limits of wear and tear.

Just the post above this, represents that this car has been there and done that. Conquered the rough with panache.

I am sure, with a conservative owner, this figure would be much much lower.

I have seen that even with the usage that this car endured, its holding up solid. Is a very fast car also.

Its just a shame that people reject this wonder just on basis of its looks, central instument panel (which is actually no issue at all, we have seen this all our younger lives on the Amby without complaining) and a general wrong perception of poor quality (probably arising out of seeing lesser materials).

This car is one of the most underrated cars in India at the moment. Its definitely built to a cost but not at a lower quality.

The JD power long term vehicle dependability survey also confirms this

http://india.jdpower.com/press-relea...lity-study-vds

So is the Global NCAP 4-star result, especially compared to others "desirable" products that sell more than this.

http://www.globalncap.org/toyotaetios2016/

So what else does a buyer need? A dependable, safe car that's easy on the wallet and fast too.
1100D is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 06:27   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Although the Rs 1.24 per km seems to be a tad high for a Japanese Petrol car (especially a Toyota), this car actually represents the higher limits of wear and tear.
It might be a lot lesser in countries where the roads are better I guess..
Our roads in general, and Bengaluru's roads in particular, are what lead to higher wear and tear I guess..
Sridutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:48   #186
BHPian

@Samba read through this thread today , i too have a Etios albeit the Liva and diesel , its covered 40k km in a year and like you i too have changed stock tyres to yokohoma earth 1 , am totally in love with the car and Toyota's reliability is awesome , its speedy and that linear power delivery always makes me smile .
Totally agree with you this has to be the most underrated car , not sure why people dont buy it in huge numbers , anyways onus on us to make memorable stories about Etios and hopefully more people will realise what we already have and start buying ETIOS . Thanks to you and others in the group for spreading the word and giving the car the credit it deserves .
aniketbapat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 18:12   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketbapat View Post
Totally agree with you this has to be the most underrated car , not sure why people dont buy it in huge numbers , anyways onus on us to make memorable stories about Etios and hopefully more people will realise what we already have and start buying ETIOS . Thanks to you and others in the group for spreading the word and giving the car the credit it deserves .
On the good side, Toyota does just enough sales ( around 2500 per month ) to keep them interested and at the same time doesn't get too arrogant because they are not reaching the 10000 levels. But, the release of VIOS might change all of that.

Etios is to Vios, what Qualis was to Innova.

After covering more than 1 lakh kms on the odo, this is easily the most durable brand and model I've ever used! And the maintenance cost of an Etios diesel is literally cheaper than even an Alto Petrol
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 00:09   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

The odometer reading is nearing the 63,000 kms mark and Etios is just back from a 2,200+ kms road trip to Bhutan & Dooars !

As-usual the car performed flawlessly without any glitch, be it on highways, hills, slush or broken roads!

This time i forgot to calculate the mileage for the over all trip. My gut feeling is, its somewhere around 14kms/ltr.

The stock clutch is still holding up well. No unwanted juddering or lack of power during the up hills climbs or spirited driving even with the Ac on. The only matter of complain is, the clutch pedal is not as soft as before. Its a bit hard now.

Had to drive on slush and few bad stretches but still the car is holding up well with no rattles or any sort of unwanted sounds.

There were few underbelly hits but got the car checked up by putting it up on the ramp. All is well !

The Yokohama Earth1 tyres, yet again proved to be reliable with excellent road grip and comfort. It handled the slush pretty well too.

Sharing few video's from the trip.

Driving on a bit of slush.

A drive through dense fog. Check out the last part of the video for the most dense fog.

And lastly few pics from the trip.

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0862.jpg

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0888.jpg

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0900.jpg

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_1027.jpg

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_1039.jpg

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_1052.jpg

Bored of highways, so looking at the run way!
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_1063.jpg

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_1079.jpg

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_1168.jpg

The odo reading after the trip.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-ip-10.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 10th August 2016 at 00:34.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 09:34   #189

Congratulations Samba da on completing 63000 kilometres in your Etios!
I just can't wait to see her touching the 1 lac mark!
And as usual wonderful pictures, it's evident that you really had a good time driving your Etios!
BODHI25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 10:42   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The stock clutch is still holding up well. No unwanted juddering or lack of power during the up hills climbs or spirited driving even with the Ac on. The only matter of complain is, the clutch pedal is not as soft as before. Its a bit hard now.
Why don't you try changing the clutch cable ? ( assuming that the Etios Petrol's clutch is not a hydraulic one )

Quote:
There were few underbelly hits but got the car checked up by putting it up on the ramp. All is well !
What about a rubberised underbody coating from 3m? If it's already done, they give free touch ups as well.

PS: I had done it when I purchased the vehicle. Re-did it recently ( after 4 years of usage ). This car seems to be rock solid as far as durability and long term reliability is concerned. Do not want to lose it to rust! Planning to keep it with me for a really long time.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 14:10   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Why don't you try changing the clutch cable ? ( assuming that the Etios Petrol's clutch is not a hydraulic one )
I have changed the clutch cable at the 60,000kms service. Things improved a bit but still not to my satisfaction. I guess its an issue with the pressure plate. These 63,000kms covered terrains like North Sikkim, Ladakh, few off road funs , few more trip to the Himalaya's and of-course the regular bumper to bumper city traffic. Considering the kind of usage, if i need to change the clutch now, i wont mind.
But Toyota guys are not keen on changing. I requested them twice but they are like, sir it will easily do another 20,000kms! But my point of view is am not driving a cab so i want the comfort of a light clutch pedal and enjoy the drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
What about a rubberised underbody coating from 3m? If it's already done, they give free touch ups as well.

PS: I had done it when I purchased the vehicle. Re-did it recently ( after 4 years of usage ). This car seems to be rock solid as far as durability and long term reliability is concerned. Do not want to lose it to rust! Planning to keep it with me for a really long time.
I already have this and got the touch up done in time too.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 14:21   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have changed the clutch cable at the 60,000kms service. Things improved a bit but still not to my satisfaction. I guess its an issue with the pressure plate. These 63,000kms covered terrains like North Sikkim, Ladakh, few off road funs , few more trip to the Himalaya's and of-course the regular bumper to bumper city traffic. Considering the kind of usage, if i need to change the clutch now, i wont mind.
In that case, when you do change it ( maybe, in the next service ), change both the clutch plate and pressure plate.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 12:26   #193
BHPian

Hi Samba,

Its always heartening to visit your long term review and see the lovely photographs of your Etios.

I am almost on the verge of buying an Etios petrol and noticed a change in the gear shift. Photo is attached from Toyota website. The reverse gear has been shifted to the side of the 1st gear.

Does this mean Toyota has changed the gearbox? Experts please have a look...

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-screen-shot-20160820-12.18.35-pm.png  

dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 18:29   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Hi Samba,

Its always heartening to visit your long term review and see the lovely photographs of your Etios.

I am almost on the verge of buying an Etios petrol and noticed a change in the gear shift. Photo is attached from Toyota website. The reverse gear has been shifted to the side of the 1st gear.

Does this mean Toyota has changed the gearbox? Experts please have a look...

Thanks.
I have a 2014 Diesel Toyota Etios GD (Link to my Ownership Review : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...2-000-kms.html) which has the same Gear Box as mentioned by you where the Reverse gear is beside the 1st Gear. I suppose there is not any change in that and that the legacy continues.

In fact I upgraded my Gear Lever Knob to the Wooden Finish one at the time of taking the delivery of my Etios as well, as shown in the picture shared by you
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 18:57   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
I have a 2014 Diesel Toyota Etios GD (Link to my Ownership Review : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...2-000-kms.html) which has the same Gear Box as mentioned by you where the Reverse gear is beside the 1st Gear. I suppose there is not any change in that and that the legacy continues.

In fact I upgraded my Gear Lever Knob to the Wooden Finish one at the time of taking the delivery of my Etios as well, as shown in the picture shared by you
The gear knob on Samba's Etios is the old one as in this photograph from page 1 of this thread. So I guess it was changed sometime.
Attached Images

dileep is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed