Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2019, 13:40   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsan View Post
Item descriptions as per the invoice

1) Others - air cleaner - Rs 1911
2) Others- hood - Rs.1274
3) Others - grille moulding - Rs.637

The above are all labour charges and were included in the estimate given to me before the commencement of service. The SA was a young lady and my questions only elicited some vague replies and hence I didn't pursue it further. My question is, since the 70,000 km service inspection is charged separately, what in the world could these other mysterious inspections (of which there is an only an abbreviated description in the invoice) entail.

Are these normal or have I just been scammed?

PS: My total bill of course for everything which included wheel balancing, alignment, synthetic oil, etc came to Rs.10,844.
Nandi Toyota is scamming the customers. By default, they add line items not recommended by Toyota Kirloskar Motor. They will explain to you as if it's something needed. If you start questioning hard, they will admit that it's recommended by the dealer and not by Toyota. I got into fight with them twice already for the same. They removed these line items when I raised it. But, there were misleading and unethical attempts from them to force me to get it done. I will be describing more on that in my ownership review of the Innova Crysta.

PS: If you just follow the service book and cross check on the line item added by Nandi Toyota, Nandi Toyota is still a good service center. But, these marketing attempts are unethical and equivalent to scamming. All the Toyota dealers in Kerala which I used to visit before coming to Bangalore ( Nippon Toyota in Southern Kerala, Amana Toyota in Northern Kerala, Anamalais Toyota in Tamil Nadu ) never tried these sort of dirty tricks with me ever.

Please post your bill here after removing the sensitive details like name/phone/car registration number. There might be other line items as well. One another scam they do is a grease that they supposedly apply on the battery terminals for which they charge 500 INR. We can take a look and guide you on it.

Last edited by amalji : 7th April 2019 at 13:45.
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 14:41   #287
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Amalji, ref my previous post here's the invoice in question as requested
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-ntoyota1.jpg  

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-ntoyota2.jpg  

sudsan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 20:20   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Call them and ask for an explanation for hood and grille moulding.
  • Also, I don't think Etios has an air filter replacement scheduled at 70000 KMs. Diesel Etios air filter replacement is every 40000 KMs. I guess, it's the same for petrol as well. If they meant ac filter, the replacement interval is every 30000 KMs. There's no reason for replacing either of them at 70000 KMs. They just need to clean it by using high pressure air.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 20:31   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was there any sort of pull towards any side or steering vibration at any particular speed? Am asking this because you have got the alignment and balancing done. I never touch the alignment and balancing in my car, unless i feel there is something wrong.

The following works done were unnecessary -

Others - Air-cleaner
Others Hood
Grille Moulding (Was it broken?)

Just send an E-Mail to Toyota at voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in and ask for clarification. Am sure they will respond you back. These guys at the back office are quite efficient and serious.

For this service, anything above Rs 6,000 is a rip off from the dealers end. The only scheduled change for this service will be Engine Oil and Oil filter. With synthetic oil, it will cost you around Rs 3,500. On top of that i add, inspection charge, labor charge and cleaning / washing charge.

Do install the Toyota connect app in your mobile & register your car. So before going for a scheduled service, you can get the full list of works to be done in your car.
I refer to the owners manual and tell them, not to touch anything else unless i instruct them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
[*]Also, I don't think Etios has an air filter replacement scheduled at 70000 KMs. Diesel Etios air filter replacement is every 40000 KMs. I guess, it's the same for petrol as well.
Yes, you are right, its same for the petrol too. The change interval is 40,000 km. But why did they charge Rs 1600 + for this? An Etios air-filter hardly costs around Rs 250

You can check out my 80,000 km service invoice!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4396053

Last edited by Samba : 7th April 2019 at 20:44.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 11:22   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Was there any sort of pull towards any side or steering vibration at any particular speed?

You can check out my 80,000 km service invoice!
1) There was no pull or vibration. I've just been getting the wheel alignment done at every service as a matter of routine.
2) The grille moulding was fine
3) Will send the email as suggested
4) Noted about the costs
5) I do have the Toyota Connect App installed
6) Thanks for everything.
7) Lesson learnt for the future!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th April 2019 at 11:27. Reason: Trimming the entire large quote. Thanks.
sudsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 11:53   #291
BHPian

@Samba:

Thanks for such detailed ownership review. I, never in my dreams thought I would recommend an Etios Petrol for my brother and your post did changed my perception. For me, if its a petrol, it should be MSIL(K12B), Hyundai(VTVT) or Honda(VTEC).

He was on the lookout for his aging 2009 Swift @ 1.3L kms. After reading your review and costs incurred, I suggested him to look for one at used market and we came up with a nice one, 2013 Etios for 3.8L which only clocked 43k kms only. What's more? It's a company owned, so proper TASS serviced and well maintained and in mint condition.

I did drove it extensively and completely loved it to bits. In fact, if not for him, I would have replaced my car for that one. The in-city drive ability is excellent and less gear changes, coupled with better suspension, OK-ish NVH make it a good cruiser. Yes, it has it's own flaws, but positives outweigh negatives and there is no major concern for us.

Once again, thanks for such detailed post and for helping people like me, who are ignorant about such a good car.
xcentrk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 08:51   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do install the Toyota connect app in your mobile & register your car. So before going for a scheduled service, you can get the full list of works to be done in your car.
I refer to the owners manual and tell them, not to touch anything else unless i instruct them.
+1

Quote:
Yes, you are right, its same for the petrol too. The change interval is 40,000 km. But why did they charge Rs 1600 + for this? An Etios air-filter hardly costs around Rs 250
I just checked my diesel air filter prices. It's around 200 INR plus. So, you are right. This price is incorrect ( regardless of whether it's a Diesel or Petrol ) !
I think, this is not air filter! They have mentioned it as air cleaner and is mentioned under labour. So, it does seem to be another 'optional' scam they add! I think, it's time we start a dedicated thread for scam by Nandi Toyota. I'm going to collect more data on this.

Quote:
Update- 80,000km service
Got the service done at Saini Toyota Howrah. This time the service was satisfactory. I wont rate it excellent. Though the service adviser was a nice & helpful guy.
Attachment 1758345
Scam alert! Check the 2nd line item - Mech care ( optional ). This was never done by any of the service centers in Kerala for my Etios. But, if I give it to Nandi Toyota, they add this and only if I question them back, they remove it.

Last edited by amalji : 9th April 2019 at 09:02.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 09:06   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Scam alert! Check the 2nd line item - Mech care ( optional ). This was never done by any of the service centers in Kerala for my Etios. But, if I give it to Nandi Toyota, they add this and only if I question them back, they remove it.
Same thing happens with me at Nandi Toyota, Banaswadi branch. First time they added it by default before they start the service. But I noticed it at the last minute and promptly asked them to remove it. After that, they know me very well and hence very politely asks me whether i want to get it done.

Coming back to my own 100k kms service of my liva, I have been asked to replace these items, for which I want to get opinion from experts here before I get them replaced:
1) Coil Spring Sleeve
2) Tensioner Pulley
3) Valve Cover Gasket

So, please let me know your opinion on whether I need to replace all or some or none. I also want to know the approximate costs for each of the item so that I know before hand how much they costs.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 09:34   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Coming back to my own 100k kms service of my liva, I have been asked to replace these items, for which I want to get opinion from experts here before I get them replaced:
1) Coil Spring Sleeve
2) Tensioner Pulley
3) Valve Cover Gasket

So, please let me know your opinion on whether I need to replace all or some or none. I also want to know the approximate costs for each of the item so that I know before hand how much they costs.
Did they give a reason for replacement ? Ask them whether they found any problem. If not, ask them not to touch anything other than what is mentioned on the service manual.

On first look, this seems to be an attempt to abuse the psychocolgy of the number - 1,00,000 kms which is big for us, consumers in India.

Dealers like Nandi toyota will spoil whatever goodness is there with a Toyota car. These vehicles are built to last lakhs of kms with just the regular replacements.

Last edited by amalji : 9th April 2019 at 09:36.
Old 9th April 2019, 10:01   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Did they give a reason for replacement ? Ask them whether they found any problem. If not, ask them not to touch anything other than what is mentioned on the service manual.
You know how they talk when probed. First when I asked, he said they need to be replaced. When probed further, he said it is better to replace them as early as possible. So, it was not a convincing answer from the SA.
But at the same time, I do not want to ignore these warnings also. If they need to be replaced as a precautionary case, I would still like to go ahead and do the replacement.
Here by I am attaching the comments from SA in the final bill. See if you can get any additional information.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-100k-kms.jpg  

Old 9th April 2019, 10:06   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know how they talk when probed. First when I asked, he said they need to be replaced. When probed further, he said it is better to replace them as early as possible. So, it was not a convincing answer from the SA.
But at the same time, I do not want to ignore these warnings also. If they need to be replaced as a precautionary case, I would still like to go ahead and do the replacement.
Here by I am attaching the comments from SA in the final bill. See if you can get any additional information.
Except for the battery replacement which can be called preventive to avoid a break down, I don't see sense in any other 'proactive replacements'. Tensioner will give you a bad whining sound and you need to replace it only then.

Send an email to voc mentioning that your dealership recommended multiple parts to be replaced but did not give reasonings to any of those replacements other than 'good to replace' comment.
Old 9th April 2019, 10:45   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Except for the battery replacement which can be called preventive to avoid a break down, I don't see sense in any other 'proactive replacements'. Tensioner will give you a bad whining sound and you need to replace it only then.
Right, for battery I am keeping an eye on it and may replace it in 6 month period.
Quote:
Send an email to voc mentioning that your dealership recommended multiple parts to be replaced but did not give reasonings to any of those replacements other than 'good to replace' comment.
I have sent an email to VOC. Let me wait, what they are going to respond.
Old 9th April 2019, 20:10   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

No, this was done with my consent. Under mech care, they apply grease to the battery terminals, door/boot hinges and locks. I give them a go ahead for this, when i give my car for servicing before the monsoon.
This time at the 90,000 km service, i skipped it.

Quote:

1) Coil Spring Sleeve
2) Tensioner Pulley
3) Valve Cover Gasket
I will suggest you to get the following parts checked by a trusted & experienced mechanic from a FNG. If he agree's for the same, then get it changed at Toyota.

Last edited by Samba : 9th April 2019 at 20:15.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 11:20   #299
BHPian

@Samba -: When you do actually do Wheel alignment and balancing? And do you rotate tyres without doing alignment?

In the US, I used to do only tire rotation every 5k miles, alignment and balancing only when I change tires because I never felt the need for it, and the tire shop where I bought tires and rotated them never advised them either.

My only concern here is that the road conditions in India are very different from US, so would like to know the best practice here.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 20:27   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
@Samba -: When you do actually do Wheel alignment and balancing? And do you rotate tyres without doing alignment?

In the US, I used to do only tire rotation every 5k miles, alignment and balancing only when I change tires because I never felt the need for it, and the tire shop where I bought tires and rotated them never advised them either.

My only concern here is that the road conditions in India are very different from US, so would like to know the best practice here.
I get the rotation done at every 20,000 km.

After rotation, if i feel there is no pull towards any side or there is no steering vibration at any speed, i do not go for alignment and balancing.

The first alignment / balancing in my Etios was done at 43,000 km, when i changed all the 5 tyres. The stock tyres were good to go till 50,000 km but got them changed for my Ladakh trip.

With the new tyres, i went for a trip to Ladakh. While coming back i felt a slight pull towards the left. So again at 51,000 km mark, i got the alignment and balancing done. From then i have not touched it again. In between the car has done many more trips to the hills. Currently the odo reading is at 90,000 km mark. I keep on checking, if there is any uneven wear and tear on the tyres. At every 10,000 km, i open all the four tyres and get a thorough inspection of the tyres, uneven wear (if any) & tread depth.

My first alignment & balancing for my Figo was done at 35,000 km mark, when i felt slight steering vibration at speeds around 110 km/hr. After the balancing it was gone.

My policy is, do not touch till it's doing fine. I just keep a close watch on the car's behavior and tyre conditions. By this method all my car's till now got a healthy tyre life of 40,000-50,000 km.

In-fact my current 47,000 km done Yokohama Earth 1's in my Etios are good for another 7000 to 8,000 km!

Last edited by Samba : 10th April 2019 at 20:38.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks