Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 21:21   #46
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Samba, I came across your article while on the market for my new car, and ended up booking the New Etios Xclusive Edition this festive season. Must mention your comprehensive review played a crucial role in taking my decision.

Couldn't thank you, as I wasn't a BHPian then (took me 3 times to get myself approved, though worth the effort ).

Kudos for your great effort and thank you for this amazing review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The new Etios looks a overall better package than the one i own. Am happy Toyota is addressing to the complaints they got from there customer feedback's.
I completely agree with you on this. I can't compare 2013 version with 2010 one, as I didn't get to drive the latter; but the NVH levels of New Etios didn't leave any scope for complaints. Also the suspension is limber and it does a commendable job in flattening out the undulations of the pathetic Kolkata roads. Add to this the FTD nature of Etios engine.

Quote:

Braking-

One of the most important criteria of a car is its braking. And i must say the brakes of the Etios is just superb. My car don't have ABS but still the brakes are awesome. Once i was on the highway and was doing a steady 100km/hr and no where from the divider a cow jumped in front of my car. I had no time to control the car by shifting down. Looked at the rear view mirror it was empty and i slammed the brakes. Without in fuss the car stopped. Due to the lack of ABS the wheels got locked i just released the brake and pressed it and the car stopped on spot. So i must say the brakes are really confidence inspiring and one can trust it to the fullest!
The Xclusive edition which is based on G variant don't have the ABS either, and was concerned because there was a tradeoff I had to make between VFM and safety. But this particular segment of your review dispelled my concerns. Worthwhile to mention, I cant emulate a cow coming in front of me during a TD, no pun intended.

Quote:
The music system i use in my car is the stock Toyota music system which i got installed as an accessory from the Toyota showroom. The sound is just good nothing to vouch about. It gets two speakers in the front door and two twitters in the dashboard. No speaker in the rear. But you have an option to instal rear speakers too if you want. The aux and usb comes as standard feature.
Does the dealer provide the option to install rear speakers, or do I need to get the job done elsewhere. I ask this because my Topsel Toyota, Ruby dealer convinced me that I won't get any help from them regarding this . Is this true, or have I been misinformed ? Toyota dealers of other cities provide the option to fit rear speakers. amalji specifically asked me to consult you on this.
Apple Master is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 22:57   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
Does the dealer provide the option to install rear speakers, or do I need to get the job done elsewhere. I ask this because my Topsel Toyota, Ruby dealer convinced me that I won't get any help from them regarding this . Is this true, or have I been misinformed ? Toyota dealers of other cities provide the option to fit rear speakers. amalji specifically asked me to consult you on this.
Am glad to know my review helped you.

Regarding the music system i asked the dealer too for the rear speakers and they bluntly refused me. So later i didn't pursue with it any more and my car don't have rear speakers. I myself drive the car so the front two speakers and the two twitters do the job for me. But if you want to be a rear seat passenger then the rear speaker are must. If you instal rear speaker outsider your warranty will get void. Still if you want to go ahead you can try out with Deco world, they do a nice job.

Let me give you the number of the relationship manager of Topsel Toyota near Ruby, as i got my car from there itself. You can cal up Mr. Sudipto Banerjee. His cell no is 9830327955. He is a helpful guy so if you tell the matter to him am sure he will do something for you.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 23:38   #48
BHPian

Quote:
If you instal rear speaker outsider your warranty will get void. Still if you want to go ahead you can try out with Deco world, they do a nice job.

Let me give you the number of the relationship manager of Topsel Toyota near Ruby, as i got my car from there itself. You can cal up Mr. Sudipto Banerjee. His cell no is 9830327955. He is a helpful guy so if you tell the matter to him am sure he will do something for you.
Thanks Samba for your assistance.

Will sure call up Mr. Sudipto and take his opinion regarding the extent to which warranty will be compromised, and take a calculated decision. Will take my own sweet time, no hurry
Apple Master is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 20:23   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Will sure call up Mr. Sudipto and take his opinion regarding the extent to which warranty will be compromised
Called up Mr. Sudipto about the speakers, and he strongly advised me against installing the speakers. He pointed out that, the warranty of some other component may be denied, stating this installation as the reason.
Old 28th October 2013, 22:30   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Called up Mr. Sudipto about the speakers, and he strongly advised me against installing the speakers. He pointed out that, the warranty of some other component may be denied, stating this installation as the reason.
I never felt the need for installing rear speakers for my Etios VX, which I drove for 37,500kms and 2 years and 1 month.

Do you sit at the backseat often? Very rarely people asked me to increase the volume who were sitting at the back.

If you don't feel strongly about getting rear speakers I advise you to refrain from getting rear speakers installed for the sake of retaining warranty.

Thanks.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 23:12   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
I never felt the need for installing rear speakers for my Etios VX, which I drove for 37,500kms and 2 years and 1 month.
Ok.. Thanks a ton for sharing that.

Quote:
Do you sit at the backseat often?
Nope, very rarely do I seat at the back. I was thinking of the rear speakers for my sis, who 99% of the time will just chill at the back seat.

Quote:
Very rarely people asked me to increase the volume who were sitting at the back.

If you don't feel strongly about getting rear speakers I advise you to refrain from getting rear speakers installed for the sake of retaining warranty.
Actually, I get it now. The thing that was bugging me was my experience during test drive. During TD the volume of HU was low, and somehow I was under the impression that the rear passengers will be suffering. But now I think it will be best to stick with the stock audio system.

Thank you amalji, samba and mroptimist for the all the sound advice and helping me make the right decision.

Just for the sake of knowledge, I would still like to know the details of installing the rear speakers in Etios. Have posted here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gurus/105289-ice-toyota-etios.html#post3278085.

Feel free to exchange your ideas.
Old 28th October 2013, 23:48   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well in that case even i would suggest you too not to go with the rear speakers voiding the car warranty now. With ac on and a bit of more volume the front speakers are ok for the rear seat passengers. But with windows rolled down i must say you cant enjoy your music in the rear seat. Must say its a bad drawback from Toyota.

But i don't know how in other states people got it installed from their dealer itself. As Toyota has provided grooves for the rear speakers in the rear parcel tray too. The last option i can say is shoot a mail to voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in. with your name , phone number and other details. Write them in details stating in other states dealers are providing this facility. SO lets hope they can give you a solution.

Regarding my cars shock absorber upgrade when i first approached Topsel they were reluctant to do that but once i shoot a mail to this id i got a cal back and the work was done.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 00:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:

But i don't know how in other states people got it installed from their dealer itself. As Toyota has provided grooves for the rear speakers in the rear parcel tray too. The last option i can say is shoot a mail to voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in. with your name , phone number and other details. Write them in details stating in other states dealers are providing this facility. SO lets hope they can give you a solution.

Regarding my cars shock absorber upgrade when i first approached Topsel they were reluctant to do that but once i shoot a mail to this id i got a cal back and the work was done.
I see. Will shoot a mail, like the one you said. At least we will get know, where the company policy stands in this regard. Because as far Toyota is concerned they surely can't be having separate policies for different states.

Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 08:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

The advantages with rear speakers are not just about the volume ( or amplitude of the sound signal ). These are the main differences it brings in.

1. Since you can fit big and good quality oval speakers, the bass you get is unmatched. A front round speakers can never provide this. Even if it can, your doors will not be handle it without rattles.

2. The best position ( height ) for placing a speaker is near your ear level. This is to ensure that all frequencies reach your ear properly. The rear speakers are closer to this ideal position.

3. Having rear speakers gives better spread of the music. ( read surround ). I always keep the fader at 3 points in favor of rear speakers. This ensures that you will not be able to guess the source of the music. The mid frequency ( voice ) will appear to come from centre of the car, the bass from behind and the treble from front. Overall, it gives a better feel.

Regardless, I wouldn't recommend doing this by voiding the warranty. Try to email Toyota and get this sorted out. They have given the provision to fit speakers. So, if they themselves say that it cannot be fitted, they are cheating their customers.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 02:28   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see. Will shoot a mail, like the one you said. At least we will get know, where the company policy stands in this regard. Because as far Toyota is concerned they surely can't be having separate policies for different states.

Thanks
Did you shoot the mail to Toyota? If yes please update us with there reply so it can be helpful to every one.
Old 3rd November 2013, 03:06   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Did you shoot the mail to Toyota? If yes please update us with there reply so it can be helpful to every one.
Absolutely.

Am still waiting for another call from them, so was delaying the update. Anyway, this is where my saga of speaker installation stands.

The mail I had sent was to seek clarification regarding the disparity among dealers in providing assistance to modify the ICE setup specifically the installation of rear speakers in Toyota Etios.

Got a call from Toyota customer care. The lady on the phone said Toyota doesn't recommend modifications. But told me to mail them a scanned version of my booking form. I was asked to wait for their call after they consult their concerned department.

Mailed them the required doc but am yet to receive that call.

HAPPY DIWALI

Last edited by Apple Master : 3rd November 2013 at 03:23.
Old 3rd November 2013, 03:28   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely.

Mailed them the required doc but am yet to receive that call.

HAPPY DIWALI
Happy Diwali to you too.

Then lets wait for the call from Toyota. Once you get the cal let us know what happened. Am eager to know about the outcome too.
Old 4th November 2013, 18:24   #58
BHPian

Wild Variation in Price of Accessories in Kolkata !!!

Today I took the day out to scout Kolkata for the best place to buy car accessories. Now without giving names of the workshops I will list the price for Artificial Leather Covers at these places.

Price of Artificial Leather Cover
------------------------------

Toyota Dealer - Rs. 8500/-

Saltlake - Rs. 6000/-

Mullick Bazzar - Rs. 4000/-

Chandni market - Rs. 2850/-

Regarding the quality of these seat covers, I did manage to check them out at the 1st three places in the list and they all looked the same. At chandnichowk I didn't get the opportunity to get a feel of the covers, but the reference of that shop came from a very reliable guy.

I want to ask fellow BHPians of Kolkata and other members, how is this possible? Can the same thing be priced upto three time higher? Is there more to than meets the eye?

Prices of some other accessories
---------------------------------
Steering Cover Car Cover
Toyota---Rs.700/- Rs.1500/-

Chandni---Rs.190/- Rs.790/-

Mullick Bazzar--NA Rs.750/-

This list is by no means exhaustive, the scenario is similar for many other accessories.

I'm getting free accessories worth 10k of my choice from Toyota. You can only imagine the dilemma that I face in preparing the list.

Thanks

Last edited by Apple Master : 4th November 2013 at 18:31.
Apple Master is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 19:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wild Variation in Price of Accessories in Kolkata !!!

Quote:
Today I took the day out to scout Kolkata for the best place to buy car accessories. Now without giving names of the workshops I will list the price for Artificial Leather Covers at these places.
Well the price you gave its very much like that in Kolkata and vary from place to place. The seat covers you will get from Mullic Bazar will not be of very good quality, they will last for 3-4 years. Now let me tell you one thing the rear seat lock of Etios is very much susceptible to break if the seat is fitted in a improper way. I have read many cases like that. So If you plan to get it fitted outside get it fitted from a reliable mechanic. If by chance they break the lock Toyota wont provide you guaranty to replace the seat and they can charge you as much as 8k. But if you get it fitted from Toyota and any kind of damage occurs you will get the warranty. I got my seat covers fitted from Deco World Rajarhat for 7k. You can see the pics of my cars seat cover in this thread. They were of really good quality. After 2 years the seat covers are as it is. Plus the mechanics of Deco world are pretty much efficient. I will recommend them . You can call them at 033-25692279. You can call them and take the quotation too.

Regarding steering cover the stitched one will cost you around 400-500rs.

The car cover should be between 1k to 2k depending upon quality.

You can get all your work done at Decoworld.

Any updates from Toyota regarding the rear speakers of your car?

Last edited by Samba : 4th November 2013 at 19:46.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 20:00   #60
BHPian

Re: Wild Variation in Price of Accessories in Kolkata !!!

Thanks Samba, you solved my confusion. Will give Deco World call.

Quote:

Any updates from Toyota regarding the rear speakers of your car?
Regarding rear speakers, I didn't get any calls yet. Will wait for 1 more day and then forward the previous mail again.

Most Viewed