Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 00:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Before directly writing about the car let me share a brief history about how it all started and why we choose the Etios.

Back in 2010 i was happily using a Maruti Alto LX at Bangalore and in my native Kolkata my parents were using our old yet trusted Fiat uno petrol. The use of the car was very less hence the Uno was more than adequate and every one was happy with it. But by October 2010 i decided to leave Bangalore and settle at Kolkata permanently. If i come back the monthly usage of the car will extend to approximately 1,000kms per month. So we decided we need a second car along with the Uno.

Now a diesel or a petrol?
Frankly we were open for both the options. As 1000kms per month were okay for a diesel and a petrol both. So we set our minds like we will buy the car which will tick all our requirements. Our requirements were fun to drive and responsive engine, if petrol mileage should be decent, should be powerful enough for the highways too, good after sales service, a good air conditioner, good handling, reliability and a comfortable ride.

So the most toughest part was which car to buy? We fixed a budjet of maximum 6lakhs. After using the Uno for 10 years our first choice was the Fiat Punto 1.4 Emotion or the 1.3 Active. If a punto it had to be red and i was in love with the Punto. Our second choice was a Ford Figo TDCI as performance wise the diesel figo was superior to its counterpart. The third contender was the Swift Dzire vx.

Back then i was not a member of Team bhp but was always hooked to the site. Started reading the pros and cons of the above three cars. Read almost all the long term ownership reports too. By doing a thorough research i could make out going with the Dzire vx will be the safest bet. As its a Maruti, its time tested, its economical and have good resale. Before finalizing on the Dzire it was time to take the test drives.

1)Fiat Punto- Loved the way the car looked. The drive was excellent too. When i thought was doing around 50km/hr the speedometer indicated above 80km/hr! I was impressed by its speed masking capabilities. It gobbled up the pot holes nicely too. The ac was decent. I could find no negatives for the car. Liked both the engines too. I must admit i am a bit biased towards the Punto as its a Fiat. I love fiat. Now it was time to make further research on the car. I visited the Tata service centers personally to get feedback from the owners of the car. All the owners seemed to be happy but none were happy with the tata service. Almost every one complained about the unavailability of spares and incompetent tata service. Now that was a big drawback. At bangalore tata service was still okay but at Kolkata it was pathetic. We suffered a lot finding parts for our Uno too. So after buying a new car the first thing we need was peace of mind. Cars are machine so any car may break down any time but for that you need proper back up which was lacking for the punto. So it was time looking for the other options.

2) Ford Figo- The car looked a bit dated but i liked it. The diesel engine was loud but was not a problem with me. Drove the car, i liked it. Specially it was very easy to drive in the city. But the car lacked the punch in open roads. Felt it required another 10odd horses to make it more fun to drive. The ride was comfortable and handling was good but Punto was better. The ac was a chiller the best i found in the cars i had been so far. Went to Ford service center talked with few owners. They were happy and availability of spares were not an issue but few owners complained of few niggling issues which were rectified by the service center. Every one in our family liked it. It was like jack of all trades but master of none. So we didn't eliminate the Figo from our consideration. If none works we will buy the Figo.

3) Swift Dzire- Initial impression was good, the car drives well, handles well, comfort is good, boot space was okay too. Ac too was quiet effective. Over all its a Maruti so no need to ask the owners about the servicing issues as undoubtedly its the best. So its time to book a Dzire.

Then again Team Bhp stopped me from doing so. A thread came up with scoop pics of the Toyota Etios. My dad likes the brand Toyota so he asked to wait for the Etios to come up. So we waited the whole November. Now came December and GTO wrote the awesome comprehensive review on the Etios petrol. The next day we were at the Toyota showroom and there was an Etios in display but no car for the test drive. The external look was kind of okay but the interiors were too basic but i was not much bothered about it. My main criteria was the performance, ride quality, reliability and after sales service. Talked with few Innova owners and they told us availability of spares were not an issue and Toyota service was top class too, and Toyota's are known to be reliable too. I had full faith on GTO and the standard of Team Bhp. Without test driving the car we booked the Etios. I liked black dad preferred white. So mom decided to get a silver and we agreed on it! The waiting period was 10 months and that was okay for us as by then i will be permanently back from Bangalore. The Etios G was in our budget so we booked the 'G' compromising on the ABS and air bag. I asked the sales representative when we can get a test drive and he promised one in January.

In the mean time being a driving enthusiast i got some interest on the Ford Fiesta Classic. It was priced at per with the Etios. I decided to take a test drive. The engine was responsive, handling was superb, ac was good. But some how i found the ride quality to be a bit on the stiffer side. Few owners complained about its mileage being around 9-10 km/ltr in the city which was a bit low. Plus again i thought as Ford has launched the new Fiesta this car is some what old now and the resale of petrol Fiesta is also on the lower side . So i thought its best to wait till i do the test drive of the Etios and then decide.

As per my Toyota sales representative's promise he gave us a call for the test drive of the Etios in January and we were at the showroom. The test drive vehicle came up, a silver Etios VX. I took the pilot seat and had a drive. Oh man i loved the peppy and responsive engine. It was at per with the Fiesta Classic. The power to weight ratio of both the cars were nearly same, the Etios had a little edge due to its lighter weight. The brakes were awesome too with a comfortable ride quality, effective ac, its the most spacious inside, handling was good but Punto and Fiesta were the leaders. I thanked GTO and team Bhp in my mind as i was not a member then. The car ticked all our requirements. After the test drive i sealed the deal that i wont cancel the booking and will go ahead with the Toyota Etios Symphony Silver 'G'.

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_6547-3-copy.jpg

Months passed by and i was back to Kolkata permanently. In June 2nd we got a call from Topsel Toyota that our car has arrived. I wanted to do a PDI with the Team Bhp check list but some how our dealer was not eager to take me to there stock yard. So being a bit skeptical we made the payment and our car was due for the delivery on 15th June. I was all excited and our delivery was scheduled at 4pm. We reached the showroom by 3-45. I was restless to see the car!. Finally the sale person showed me the car and i did a short PDI then and there. It had 11kms in its odometer which was okay. The car was shinning, interiors were clean and nothing to complain about. The formalities were completed and we were ready to set out with the car by 5-30pm. Over all happy with the dealings and the process with Topsel Toyota Kolkata.

Now let me start with my ownership experience of the car with around 22,000 kms on the odometer in approximately 2 years.

Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-etios-3.jpg

The Exterior and the safety of the car.

Look at the Etios from out side it looks simple and decent. It looks like a proper sedan though its no head turner. The shape looks proportionate in all angles. But to be honest the design looks around 5 years dated. Even the door handles used are out dated for a car in today's era. From my point of view the Etios looks best in its side profile. The front smiling grill adds some character to its front end. The rear looks boxy.

The body metal is thin you just press it hard with your finger you will come to know why Etios is such a light car. But still the Etios managed to get 4 stars in the Latin NCAP crash test equaling the much costlier Chevrolet Cruze. http://indianautosblog.com/2012/09/t...cap-crash-test Some where i read safety depends more on the chassis more than the body metal. So must be Etios is having a strong chassis. Here is the video of the Liva during the crash test. I cant find of the Etios. Hope both to be similar.

Let me share a few pics of my Etios in different terrains i have taken it, so the viewers can be the best judge in which angle it looks best and in which terrain too!

The Himalayan Etios!
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-1etios.jpg
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-etios-5.jpg

Etios enjoying the sea breeze!
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-etios-4.jpg
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-etios-6.jpg

Etios into the wilds!
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-etios-1.jpg
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-etios-7.jpg

Etios loves to be on the highways!
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-etios-2.jpg

Etios see's the history too!
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_2876.jpg

The Interiors, ergonomics and space management.

Well people say Etios has got a bland interior which is not at all attractive and i agree to it 100%. But with this note i want to add few things on the practicality of the Etios interior.

Its among the most spacious in its segment. The front and rear leg rooms are more than adequate for long drives. Its a true 5 seater car where 5 persons can seat comfortably. The front seats look thin but it gives enough support for a comfortable long journey. Same goes with the rear seat. Now coming to the dash board the central console is not to my taste but in course of time i got adjusted to it and now i like it pretty much. Actually while driving its easy to look at the speedometer. The plastic used in the dash board or in the other interior parts are of good quality. I can vouch for it as in these two year doing 22,000kms including rough roads too resulted in no rattling issues. They are completely rattle free. Etios is the perfect car for going for the long drives in the week ends with its huge 595 liter boot which can gobble up almost anything you throw into it! The space management inside is incredible. You can keep 7 one liter bottles with enough space left to keep you magazines, smart phone and a pair of sunglasses.

Coming to the ergonomics the car is pretty well managed. After driving a different car if you sit to drive the Etios in a minute or two you will feel at home. The driving position offers good view, all the three pedals are beautifully placed though a dead pedal is sorely missing. The steering height adjustment is good enough to get you a comfortable position. The wiper/light/indicator stalks are positioned in the Indian way and you face no difficulty in using them. Rather they are easy to use. Same goes with the music system. Its near the drivers seat so getting used to it is too a easy job.

Let me share a few pics to know about the interiors in a better way.

The door pads look monotonous and boring.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-1.jpg

The front drivers door power window switches are too basic and nothing attractive. The open screw looks bad, should have been concealed.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-8.jpg

The front seats look thin but they give enough support and are comfortable too. Front leg room is also more than enough.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-9.jpg

The rear seats look comfortable and are comfortable too. You can check out the leg space too. The front left seat is slided maximum to its front and the front right seat is slided maximum to its back.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-2.jpg

The dashboard of the Etios in night and day. I like it more at night.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-3.jpg

The AC vents in closed and open position.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-5.jpg

If you open this small duct inside the glove box with ac on, it will keep your glove box cool. Used the feature but its not that effective as Toyota claims it to be.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-6.jpg

Look at the space management. In both sides of the handbrake there are cubicles too where you can put your sun glass or your smart phone or any other small bits apart from the one given in front of the gear lever.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-7.jpg

All the three pedals are nicely placed though a dead pedal is missing.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-4.jpg

The huge 595 Liter boot.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-10.jpg

On the flip side dusts do accumulate in between the door hinges. May be because of the absence of the door beading's.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-interior-11.jpg

Build quality, fit and finish-

The Etios feels a light car from every angle. Shut the door you wont get the European thud sound, lift the boot lid its thin and light. Come to the interiors the plastic used are hard but they are durable. The seats used are thin but they provide good support. Over all what i can say in these two years is its a light car but its hardy enough to take the Indian roads. The panel gaps too are even through out the car. No uneven panel gaps in the exterior/interior and no rough plastic edges anywhere in the interior too. The fit and finish through out are almost perfect. Toyota has done the cost cuttings but in a intelligent way by not hampering the basics of making a good car.

Paint Quality-

The paint quality of Etios is just top notch. You cant complain on it. My car is two years old, but the shine is still as it is. There is no sign of any bubbles or any kind of rusts coming up. I have done few drives through the jungle where the shrubs and bushes rubbed against my cars body. They made some light scratches. But once i washed my car thoroughly they all vanished. So i must add Toyota has really done a commendable job on the paint quality.

Last edited by GTO : 27th June 2013 at 11:28. Reason: As requested
Samba is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 22:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

The engine-

Crank the self the engine starts with a diesel like sound and vibration. May be this is rectified now in the newer Etios as it comes with hydraulic engine mount instead of the rubber engine mounts on the older Etios. Once the engine is on it settles down to a nearly silent idling with very slight vibration which you can feel when the engine is cold. Press the clutch, you came to know its very light and easy with a short throw. Engage 1st gear and release the clutch slowly the car is in motion. Tap the accelerator pedal a bit and you will get an immediate response from the peppy engine. In an open stretch with the 1st gear if you are not careful the car easily pulls nearly 20-25km/hr. Put the 2nd and you are enjoying the drive. The second gear is good for the crawling bumper to bumper traffic. Just put the car on the second and take your foot off the accelerator pedal the car will crawl slowly with the slow moving traffic. The 3rd gear is always a joy from 20km/hr it can take you to 120km/hr! One can use this gear as an automatic in the city! Above 40km/hr 4th gear is okay and the car has enough punch in 4th gear too. For over taking one do not have to shift down to third. Once you cross 50km/hr the 5 th can be engaged. Its a tall gear you can cruise from 40km/hr to well above 170km/hr! This car can cruise in the highways at the speeds of around 140-150km/hr for the whole day but that's definitely not recommendable on the Indian roads. The car pulls well in the starting , the mid range pull is also strong enough till nearly the top speed of the car. Above 160km/hr the acceleration is slow but who cares about that! Even the 5th gear has enough power for the overtaking maneuvers in the highways, generally it do not require a downshift. The 1500 cc 90 ps engine with 132nm of torque in the light weight body of the Etios makes the power to weight ratio around 99ps/ton. Which is really awesome. Drive the car with the AC on or off its always fun to drive though with AC on there is a very little or negligible drop in the pickup compared to non AC. This car is a bliss to drive both in cities and highways. The only flip side of the engine i can say is it becomes loud/buzzy past 3.5k rpm. Now that's more evident due to the poor insulation of the Etios.
The best part in the car i found is its engine.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-engine-n-handling-1.jpg

The gear shift-

The gear shift has a short throw and its very precise. It do not have any rubbery feel. I bet one will enjoy the gear shift. All the gears are smooth including the reverse. Though once or twice in the first chance the reverse felt a bit hard for me. I left the clutch and pressed it again and the shifting was fine. One thing to note is Etios petrol do not like fast gear changing you have to be a bit slow with the maneuver.

Handling and comfort-

The Etios suspension is more tuned towards comfort than handling. Its a perfect family car. Enthusiasts will be disappointed by its neutral handling. At speeds over 70km/hr there is a bit of body roll on turnings and cornering do not seem to be much confidence inspiring. In straight roads you take the car to its maximum speed the car is okay with that but with the light EPS steering above 120/130 km/hr the car feels light. But the steering is a boon in city driving. Currently i upgraded my shock absorbers to the new stiffer once (under warranty) and i must say it improved the handling a lot. Though its no Fiat Punto or Ford fiesta. But on the flip side the ride became a bit stiffer but that's fine. Still the comfort level of the car is quiet high. The ride quality over bad roads are not at all bumpy, its quiet complaint. I have done a small bit of off roading too with the Etios, the power seems to be more than enough to pull the car out of those rough patches but the 170mm ground clearance sometimes fail to protect the Etios from an underbelly scrapping.

The stock tyres are 175/65/R14 which I feel if upgraded the handling will improve further. My car runs on good year tyres.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-engine-n-handling-2.jpg

Braking-

One of the most important criteria of a car is its braking. And i must say the brakes of the Etios is just superb. My car don't have ABS but still the brakes are awesome. Once i was on the highway and was doing a steady 100km/hr and no where from the divider a cow jumped in front of my car. I had no time to control the car by shifting down. Looked at the rear view mirror it was empty and i slammed the brakes. Without in fuss the car stopped. Due to the lack of ABS the wheels got locked i just released the brake and pressed it and the car stopped on spot. So i must say the brakes are really confidence inspiring and one can trust it to the fullest!

Electricals-

Let me start with the head lights. The stock head lamps are adequate with a very good spread. But during rains its inadequate in the highways. So i upgraded to 90/100 halogens with a plug and play relay by not cutting any wires. So it wont affect the warranty. Now the headlights are more than enough for me. I have fitted fog lamps from Toyota accessories too. They are just okay i wont say they are good. They comes handy with the high beam on. You can never rely only on the fog lamps.

One thing which i don't like is the reverse gear gets only one light in the right hand side. From rear it looks as if one bulb has fused. The tail lamps looks okay and they are noticeable from a distance at night.

The air conditioner is decent. At kolkata heat most of the time i keep it at no2 position. When its 40c or more it needs to be kept at 3 or 4. But 90% of the time i start with the knob at 3. After 10 minutes i keep it at no2. In the evening keeping at 1 is enough.

There is only a single dual arm wiper but it do its job really well in the rainy season. The coverage area of the wiper is good and one wont face any sort of difficulty while driving.

The music system i use in my car is the stock Toyota music system which i got installed as an accessory from the Toyota showroom. The sound is just good nothing to vouch about. It gets two speakers in the front door and two twitters in the dashboard. No speaker in the rear. But you have an option to instal rear speakers too if you want. The aux and usb comes as standard feature.

The battery given in my car is a Tata battery. No idea how long it will last but for the last 2 years it served me well.

Mileage-

One of the most important things one considers while buying a petrol car.

Maximum Mileage: 20 kmpl (With windows rolled up, AC off, at speeds around 60-80 on highway with the top gear on)

Minimum Mileage: 8 kmpl (Stuck in city traffic for around 3 hours with constant AC on and car moving on 1st or 2nd gear)

Average mileage in city with AC off: 13-14 kmpl.

Average mileage in city with AC on: 10-14 kmpl.

Mileage in highway at speeds within 100 kmph with AC off: 16-18 kmpl.

Mileage in highway at speeds within 100 kmph with AC on: 14-16 kmpl.

Mileage in highway at speeds above 120 kmph with AC off: 14-15 kmpl.

Mileage in highway at speeds above 120 kmph with AC on: 13-14 kmpl

So with fair usage of AC and proper driving, one can expect 12-14 kmpl in city and 15-18 kmpl on highways.

One tip from my side to extract better mileage from Etios:
As the car has got 132nm of torque, shift early. You don’t have to take the car to more speeds to shift to the next gear.

The visits to Toyota service station in these two years and 22,000 kms-

1) 1000kms- 1st servicing. Cost- 0

2) 6000kms- To replace the fuel hose as it was a recall from Toyota.
Cost- 0

3) 10,000kms- 2nd servicing- Changed engine oil and oil filter. poured synthetic oil. Cost- rs-2,800

4) 17,000kms- Front left shock absorber leaked and it was making sound. Replaced under warranty. Cost- 0

5) 20,000kms- 3rd servicing. Changed engine oil (Synthetic oil), oil filter, 4 spark plugs, rotation of tyres and greasing the side walls of the tyres. Cost-rs 3,800

6) 21,000kms- To upgrade the shock absorbers to the stiffer one under warranty. Cost- 0

Let me share the pros and cons of the car-

pros-

1) The engine. The 1500cc 90ps engine with 132nm torque is just awesome. I bet if you drive it you will love it.

2) The brakes. The brakes are really superb and confidence inspiring.

3)The riding comfort.

4)Its a spacious car which can comfortable accommodate 5 persons with a huge 595 liter boot space. Perfect for the holiday drives.

5)Toyota after sales service is really top class. They do what they say. Atleast i found that at Topsel Toyota Kolkata.

6) Its a reliable car. Toyota's are known to be reliable.

Cons-

1) Cost cutting is evident through out.

2)The light weight of the car is evident at higher speeds.

3) The steering feed back is not that great.

4)Reversing the car is difficult as the reverse view is less from the driving seats. Reverse parking sensors are recommended.

5)The interiors are too basic.

6)Noise insulation is bad, you can hear the tyre noise or engine sound in the cabin.

Now, am i happy with the car or will i recommend it to others?

Yes i must say am happy with the car and will definitely refer the car to others who are looking for a decent petrol sedan around a budget of 7lakhs. Every cars have there own pros and cons and Etios is the same. You cant get all in one package. You have to get one and compromise one! So compromising a posh interior and few cost cuttings we got a car with good performance and comfort. One should buy a car according to his priority. Etios ticked our priorities so we bought it and we are happy with it.

Last but not the least out motto! (Live to Drive!)
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-20130411-17.19.18.jpg

I have tried my best to cover up all the aspects and to maintain the Team Bhp standard, if i miss anything please point it out to me, i will definitely give my inputs on those and i will update this thread time to time.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th December 2019 at 21:41. Reason: As requested
Samba is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 14:20   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 14:48   #4
BHPian

Excellent write-up Samba. Well done!
It is truly a 'Gem of a Review'!
Wish you have a great time enjoying the Q-Class Etios. Awesome snaps you have there, with even better caption. I especially liked the first picture, "Chotta Etios"!

Do share the OTR price and break-up also. Any accessories planned? Alloys, CF wrap, etc. Keep the thread updated.
Loud is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 16:13   #5
BHPian

A very nice review covering important details and a very unbiased one too. Etios is one of my favourites in terms of practicality and value for money.
I remember GTO mentioning that Etios is one of the most fun to drive cars currently available at this price point.
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 18:28   #6
BHPian

Great review, that. I can't think of anything that you might have missed. Please keep the thread up-to-date and wish you many miles of happy ownership.
Cheers!
Batfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 21:19   #7
BHPian

Superb review and awesome snaps. Your attention to details is much appreciated.

The Etios and the Tata Manza are the space kings among the sedans, just as the Jazz was the space king among hatches.

May you have many years/miles of trouble-free and enjoyable drives.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 01:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Excellent write-up Samba. Well done!
It is truly a 'Gem of a Review'!
Wish you have a great time enjoying the Q-Class Etios. Awesome snaps you have there, with even better caption. I especially liked the first picture, "Chotta Etios"!

Do share the OTR price and break-up also. Any accessories planned? Alloys, CF wrap, etc. Keep the thread updated.
Hi, thanks for you kind words.
Including accessories i paid around 6.5 lakhs. The accessories i opted for were Toyota music system, fog lamps, mats, seat covers, chrome gear knob, mat cover for the boot. As of now i do not have any plans to go for alloys. My car is currently at 22,000kms so the next upgrade should be the tyres. Lets see for how many kilometers the stock tyres last for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
A very nice review covering important details and a very unbiased one too. Etios is one of my favourites in terms of practicality and value for money.
I remember GTO mentioning that Etios is one of the most fun to drive cars currently available at this price point.
Thanks a lot.
Yes its a value for money and practical car. If one is looking for jazzy looks or flash interiors then Etios is not the car for them. Yes its engine is its best part because of the light weight and the good torque the car pulls effortlessly and is fun to drive. You can cross the huge speed breakers easily in 2nd gear no need to engage first if driving a Etios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
Great review, that. I can't think of anything that you might have missed. Please keep the thread up-to-date and wish you many miles of happy ownership.
Cheers!
Thanks a lot and yes i will definitely update it time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Superb review and awesome snaps. Your attention to details is much appreciated.

The Etios and the Tata Manza are the space kings among the sedans, just as the Jazz was the space king among hatches.

May you have many years/miles of trouble-free and enjoyable drives.
Thanks you liked it.

Yes its really a spacious car. But as far as the interiors of Tata Manza is concerned its entirely of a different league Etios is no match to that. The rear seat of Manza feels like sofa and Manza's interiors are just class apart compared to the Etios. The strong points of Etios are its engine, niggle free ownership, comfort.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 08:33   #9
BHPian

Stupendous mileage figures! I wish I get them in my Etios as well. Did you see ny jump ijn economy post 3000 - 4000 kms?
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 13:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Hi, thanks for you kind words.
Including accessories i paid around 6.5 lakhs. The accessories i opted for were Toyota music system, fog lamps, mats, seat covers, chrome gear knob, mat cover for the boot. As of now i do not have any plans to go for alloys. My car is currently at 22,000kms so the next upgrade should be the tyres. Lets see for how many kilometers the stock tyres last for.
Thanks for the reply. As of now, Toyota is giving music system with 4 speakers as standard on the G variants of the Etios Liva (maybe Etios also). For the tyres, you can also open up a new thread. Try to get Michelins, they are very comfortable to drive with and are soft compound tyres.
How much does a paid service of Toyota Etios/Liva cost?
Can you post a close up picture of the taillight of the Etios. I wanted to compare it with the New Etios.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 14:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Stupendous mileage figures! I wish I get them in my Etios as well. Did you see ny jump ijn economy post 3000 - 4000 kms?
Yes mileage improved a bit after 3,000kms. The engine note too became smoother. Don't have an idea why, may be the ecu is tuned like that. Just one advise from my side try to shift early in an Etios and check out the mileage. It should improve. Light foot driving improves the mileage.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. As of now, Toyota is giving music system with 4 speakers as standard on the G variants of the Etios Liva (maybe Etios also). For the tyres, you can also open up a new thread. Try to get Michelins, they are very comfortable to drive with and are soft compound tyres.
Can you post a close up picture of the taillight of the Etios. I wanted to compare it with the New Etios.
Good to know new Etios gets 4 speakers. It will be good for the rear passengers. For me its okay as i always drive the car so the front speakers are okay for me and am not a fan of loud music while drive.

Yes i will consider Michelins, or yokohama while changine the tyres as soft compound tyres should improve the handling too.

Yes i will definitely post the pictures for you, one from out side and the other from inside the tailgate. But give me few days time.

Last edited by Samba : 1st June 2013 at 15:01.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 16:55   #12
BHPian

A very nice and straight-from-heart review. Wishing you many kms of Happy ownership.

My experience with a tyre change is given below:

I own a Logan and I too had lot of road noise to contend with the OE tyres (JK Vectra) past 20k kms, but still managed to run them for 52,300kms as my drives were only on highways.

I changed to Michelins XM1+ - OE size and wow! what a difference it made to the handling of the car. The road noise reduced to a large extent, the car handled softer and I was able to hear the engine noise which was hitherto not audible. The Michelins have now run around 62k kms and they have become a bit noisy past 50k kms.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 20:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing i missed out while writing the ownership review of my car. That's the paint quality.

Paint Quality-

The paint quality of Etios is just top notch. You cant complain on it. My car is two years old, but the shine is still as it is. There is no sign of any bubbles or any kind of rusts coming up. I have done few drives through the jungle where the shrubs and bushes rubbed against my cars body. They made some light scratches. But once i washed my car thoroughly they all vanished. So i must add Toyota has really done a commendable job on the paint quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
A very nice and straight-from-heart review. Wishing you many kms of Happy ownership.

My experience with a tyre change is given below:

I own a Logan and I too had lot of road noise to contend with the OE tyres (JK Vectra) past 20k kms, but still managed to run them for 52,300kms as my drives were only on highways.

I changed to Michelins XM1+ - OE size and wow! what a difference it made to the handling of the car. The road noise reduced to a large extent, the car handled softer and I was able to hear the engine noise which was hitherto not audible. The Michelins have now run around 62k kms and they have become a bit noisy past 50k kms.
Thanks!

According to you and Loud both of you prefer Michelins. So lets see for how many kilometers my stock tyres last as my car go over a lot of bad stretches too. (But i drive with utmost care). So mostly i would go with the Michelins. As you mentioned tryre noise is evident after 50,000 kms , i feel that's okay. Not a an issue for me.

Quote:
Am yet to get a paid service done. So right now i can't comment on the cost of the paid service.

As per your request i managed to take two pics of my tail gate today afternoon itself. So here you go.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0130.jpg
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0131.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 1st June 2013 at 20:10.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 20:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
As per your request i managed to take two pics of my tail gate today afternoon itself.
Thanks for the effort, Samba. I think I confused you here- I wanted to see the taillamp (taillight) of the old Etios. Well, no problem. I can see my desired image in the second pic posted by you.
Actually, I saw a new Etios's taillight in person and it is different from the one you own. There are not only bulb position changes, but there is a small but dominant crease/curve on the brake light area (red) which matches better with the shoulder line of the car. Not very much distinguishable though.

Anyways, thanks for the pics.

Off Topic: My 100th Post!

Last edited by Loud : 1st June 2013 at 20:38.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 21:00   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the effort, Samba. I think I confused you here- I wanted to see the taillamp (taillight) of the old Etios. Well, no problem. I can see my desired image in the second pic posted by you.
Actually, I saw a new Etios's taillight in person and it is different from the one you own. There are not only bulb position changes, but there is a small but dominant crease/curve on the brake light area (red) which matches better with the shoulder line of the car. Not very much distinguishable though.

Anyways, thanks for the pics.

Off Topic: My 100th Post!
Congrats for your 100th post.

Am sorry its my bad you wrote the right thing i missed it out. Anyways you check this one for a closer view.
Toyota Etios 1.5L Petrol : An owner's point of view. EDIT: 10+ years and 100,000+ kms up!-img_0134.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 1st June 2013 at 21:04.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed