Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 19:06   #1
BHPian

Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel

"I will never miss that old box of a car " - I recall myself saying .But as the saying goes ," you never know what you have till its gone ".

I was underage during most of her time with our family , i never got attached to her . I got all the dirty work , washing her when she got all dirty and other small jobs regarding her maintenance . So naturally i have never seen her as a companion , but more of a "job" to be done . But ever since coming of age , i have grown to understand her . I have had my time with her . And now i wish she doesn't have to go ..... .

Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel-wp_20130607_011.jpg

Disclaimer :
-This is my first thread . Please bear with me if the post seems noobish .
-This would seem more of a " Final Ownership Review " as i type down these words on her last night with us. But it has been a Long-Term ownership of the car as well , 74000+ kms of ownership .
-The timeline of this review will be skewed , so refer to the section title if you find yourself lost .
-If the car looks dirty in the pictures , it probably is . It has been raining a lot .

1. In search .... [ Monsoon months of 2008 ]

My Dad was a doctor in the Indian Air Force till 2007 , until he took Voluntary retirement from his post to be able to spend more time with us . During his defense career he owned a humble M800 which i barely rememberfrom my childhood days . I never got to drive it , n doing so is still my most cherished dream . Unfortunately , finding a job here in the Hubli-Dharwad District [Our native town ] had been tough .

He finally ended up with his friends in a Dharwad-based Nursing home [He's a Gynecologist ] but with the problem being that we live in Hubli , which is a near 35 km away . He made due with the local buses but after a theft of a mobile phones on board one, he stopped using them . He then relied on my grand dad's car i.e the Indica V2 Xeta for his travel needs . But after a few weeks he was interested in getting one of his own .

We didn't have any class of car in mind , we just wanted one which would suit our needs some which we had yet to discover ! The needs being driving up and down between the two towns, occasional road trips and some visits to the hometowns . But the fact that we needed a Diesel Car was known up front . So this is how the search began .

We had a wide range of cars to choose from at that time & with a budget of around 8 lakhs , it was a difficult to choice to make . The TATA's were ruled out in view of there not-so-good After sale services . The FIAT Palio Style was a new kid in the block , so we took it out for a spin . I must say , it was one of the peppiest cars of which i have had the pleasure to drive. But the lack of modern styling was a heartbreaking letdown , coupled with their being new to the market at that time : We were reluctant to go that way . Till day i hold FIAT on a pedestal in my mind as one of the best engine-makers of all time .

Next we tried the Koreans i.e. Hyundai , but their representatives here where just not upto the job at hand . Nobody even bothered to receive us at the showroom , to show us around . Finally we got somebody's attention and we managed to TD the Getz Prime CRDi . Definitely torque-y , But it was raw power and not refined power as it had the Verna's motor installed at its heart . So nay on the Hyundai .

Toyota was a no-go as the only cars they had were out of our Budget . Even Honda was ruled out as there were no diesel options in their cars .

Chevrolet : Hmmm , well. The thing is we never even thought about them cause we had had some bad experiences with the dealer about our Daewoo Matiz [ I learn't to drive on that car ].

All that remained was Ford . What i observed was that they were better at handling customers than the other showrooms in town . We test drove the Fiesta and Fusion , both having the 1.4L DuraTorq Engine . The Fiesta was well known for its efficiency . The Fusion on the other hand had carved it self a 'niche' segment , being neither a hatchback nor a proper SUV . I believe it was one of the few Compact SUVS out there . It appealed to our usage , but so did the Fiesta . But the only argument against the Fiesta would be its low GC . Also , the Fusion+ with ABS didn't seem to justify the
cost .

Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel-images.jpg

Roads in Hubli and rural Karnataka are unforgiving , throwing potholes and what-not faster at you than you can hit the brakes or turn your wheels. Also , with negligent drivers being the majority on the road , having a well built car could have its advantages .

After having done a lot of test driving and market research , it helped us no more than it left us confused. After many a weeks of consideration , all the family members zeroed in on the Fusion as it ticked all the boxes .

What we liked:
-High GC .
-Solid build quality.
-Many neat compartments for storage of miscellaneous items.
-Huge boot to throw one of the occasional grain sacks from the village .
-Big 15" wheels which weren't available on most cars at that time.
-Ford reliabilty

Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel-wp_20130607_001.jpg

What we didn't like:
-Underpowered engine : we knew from the start that it was underpowered . and things just went south from there .
-Engine Noise creeping into the cabin
-lack of features for the price [about 7 lakhs is what we paid if i remember correctly]

We believed that sufficient gear-changing would help us overlook the Power-deprived Drive . And we still believe that . We have to .

All in all , it was a good interesting package from a well-recognized brand and we all liked it too !

All the usual procedure took place : Applying for a loan , Documents , Insurance etc . I Have never been one for bothering myself with those things. And that is how we got handed a shiny new Fusion dressed in Silver on the 28th of September , 2008 .

2.Why she has to go ?? [Current day]

Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel-wp_20130607_009.jpg

It has been nearly 5 years since she has been ours . The loan is almost paid off . 74896 km of driving later , we see signs of her giving out . Wheel Bearings needing to be replaced , power seeming lesser than usual and all those dents and scratches accumulated over the years !! And those Balding tires where an eyesore . Fixing all this would require some investment . But buying a new car and selling the old one would give dad a tax benefit in this financial year . So it was decided that we should get a new car .

It is the Volkswagen Vento , but that is a completely different story ! And after months of looking for buyers the best price we could get for her was 3 lakh , being an off-production model and all other factors taken into consideration , the price wasn't too bad . But it wasn't quite what we were hoping for .

And that's when i realized that she wouldn't be parked here tomorrow . The feeling of loss finally started sinking in . The weather reflects my mood. I wouldn't have to wash her tomorrow cause she wouldn't be there ...

Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel-wp_20130606_005.jpg

3. Varca Beach , Goa to Hubli [ The return trip - October 2011 ]

Aunty: "It sure is hot and humid in Goa . It will be good when we return to cooler climates. "

Me : "Yes i agree with you . I can't wait to get the car cooled up ."

(15 minutes later)

Dad: " Why is the A/C taking so long to cool the car ? its been a while since we left !"

Mom: "It's just the weather over here , be patient!"

(30 minutes later , The heat was unbearable with the car spewing hot air inside)

Me: ( Having the sense to open the window ) "Oh , Fresh air at last !! "

I'm recalling this event because it was one of the only times that the car has caused any inconvenience to us . The Car had been properly serviced before leaving Hubli for a vacation in Goa , But the A/C managed to break down on the return trip (Later we were told there was a problem with the compressor).

The Fusion never gave us an opportunity for any serious complaints . Never a serious accident with that car . Only minor ones , with the other person being at fault always ! Especially when its "Hyenas" on two wheels (Inspired from the "Bagheera" thread).

This post seems to be becoming a big one , always a turn-off . So to keep this a good read i will have to Fast forward the cars behavior over the 5 years and describe it in a nutshell , which has been consistent through out . Amazing !

The 1.4L TDCi "Duratorq" Diesel Heart from Ford is one robust engine ! It has been proven with the engine not giving any problem at all through its years . The only MAJOR complaint being its lack of power , But that is a manufacturing thingy. At 68bhp and 160 Nm of Torque @2000 rpm , the engine was not something to write home about . In Start-Stop traffic , the driver will have to constantly change gears to get the right amount of pull . Turbo lag is evident .

Transmission is very smooth with the gears being changed without any fuss . The meaty steering and a some-what Hard suspension setup meant that the handling was spot on .

The high seating position makes one feel in control at all times . Its not a car meant for speeds of 130+ . Its a car that can drive you through the city , through the rough rural terrain (maybe it could off road , but i have never been tempted to try that ! ) all at reasonable speeds .

The car is "Built tough" , as the Ford manufactured cars are known to be . No one can disagree with that ! And the best part is safety features like the ABS and Airbags were never missed on the car , Just old- Fashioned 3-point seat belts to hold you in place and the tough shell to protect you! Even after receiving collisions from 2-wheelers , the dents never really looked that big . But after the rear bumper was badly damaged after such a collision , Insurance had to be claimed to replace it . It was only a one-time thing though .

All seems to be in the cars favor , but somehow the wheel bearings managed to become damaged in the middle of 2012 , causing two tires from the new set of MRF ZLO's to go bald . It was puzzling how two new tires , barely months old got in such a bad condition . While we thought it was an alignment issue , the service center found it to be because of bad wheel bearings and they replaced the same. Even though it was replaced , there is still some noise which appears when the car is going in or out of speed bumps . Seems like a minor problem. Coming to it , the Ford Service has been good but not quite top-notch , i guess we petrol heads are never satisfied ! (Time to fix our own cars guys ! ) The car has every km of its 74894 km mileage accounted for in its service history , so every inch of it is still genuine . The only accesories she ever received were a pair of JBL speakers connected to a Sony 1DIN Mp3 player ( i Don't remember the model number), all else was factory standard .

All in all, She has been a good drive from Day 1.

P.S The photo below was taken on a trip to Mysore- Madkeri (Not Goa)
Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel-dsc01254.jpg

4. Hubli to Varca Beach [March 2013]

I had finally received my driving license and i was driving cars any chance i got . One such opportunity was presented when it was decided to go to Goa for the weekend in March of 2013 ! I was excited . It was my first long drive and my Dad was watching my every move , making sure i don't screw up ! It was a very memorable drive of around 160 km which lasted for nearly 4 hours . That's when i gained some experience with the car . She always felt in control and was quick on her feet . Brakes never let me down and always allowed to stop when i wanted to . Handling was spot on in the Ghats and it was a pleasure to drive over them . And the best thing was , The A/C still worked on the return trip !

5.My last drive with her [Current day]

Took my last opportunity and went for a spin , knowing fully that i had no ownership over her at the time . Drove through the streets and the fields and went to a nice secluded spot . I turned her off and just walked around her . Looking back at all the good times i have had with her , all the arguments had in the back seat . All the scars she wore proudly , they all said "I'm built tough!" . Even though she is being replaced by a wonderful car , she will be missed ! I won't be able to take the potholes and bumps with the ease i used to with the Fusion. I really hope the Vento is as reliable as the Fusion and that we shall have many memories with it too. I just thanked her for being a wonderful car for us and i looked in the rear view mirror as i turned around to get back home and i knew , "There's no turning back now".

Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel-wp_20130607_020.jpg

As of now cold hard cash has been exchanged as i watched the car turn that corner near my house for the last time...

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2013 at 12:56. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing for better readability. Thanks for sharing!
Amogh Barakol is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 10:42   #2
BHPian

re: Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel

Almost 75000 kms in 5 years, that means that your Fusion was the workhorse of the family.
Well, what to say. Now it is gone and I know how emotional attachment grows with the cars you own, having sold my Fiesta which served us with its reliability and frugal diesel motor till her last drive with us. I still remember those trips we had with her and the times I used to sleep on the back seat on those highways!

With those photographs, it is not hard to say that it was excellently maintained by your family, save for that dent on the RHS front fender.

Can just hope that the next owner takes good care of her!

PS. You must have a look at TBHP Rules. You have posted more than 2 smileys (5 smileys I think), which is not allowed. Either you or MODS can remove the extra smileys from the post. Thanks.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:14   #3
BHPian

Never knew the fusion had so many storage spaces. I wonder why all cars dont have the under seat storage as shown in the picture of the Fusion. Brilliant!
Old 8th June 2013, 12:07   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Never knew the fusion had so many storage spaces. I wonder why all cars dont have the under seat storage as shown in the picture of the Fusion. Brilliant!
Glad to say that the Yeti has the lovely under seat drawer storage. Nice and out of sight!
Old 8th June 2013, 13:01   #5
BHPian

So does the Indica Vista, but the storage integrated within the seat is just brilliant IMHO. Sorry any other thread where this can be discussed?
Old 8th June 2013, 20:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Almost 75000 kms in 5 years, that means that your Fusion was the workhorse of the family.

PS. You must have a look at TBHP Rules. You have posted more than 2 smileys (5 smileys I think), which is not allowed. Either you or MODS can remove the extra smileys from the post. Thanks.
Yes Loud , she sure was the workhorse . We once drove the car 12 hours straight without any hitch ! and thank you for the smiley input , bad facebook habit ! things feel emotionless without smileys !
Amogh Barakol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 14:03   #7
BHPian

Re: Saying Goodbye - 2008 Ford Fusion Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amogh Barakol View Post
Yes Loud , she sure was the workhorse . We once drove the car 12 hours straight without any hitch ! and thank you for the smiley input , bad facebook habit ! things feel emotionless without smileys !
I do agree Amogh Barakol, but these are T BHP rules and we are supposed to abide by them. Any detailed travelogues on the trips you have done with the car?

BTW There's a Ford Fusion near my locality. The owner has put alloy wheels (black with red lip) and new wider tyres on his car when a thought came in his mind to move to a new car. Such was his attachment! He refused for getting a new car and got his Fusion repainted (some purple shade I think), got the denting/bodywork done and added alloys and new tyres. The ODO reads more than 80,000 kms (The last time I talked to him in around Feb 2013).

Wish you could have done the same! What about the Vento review, eh?
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 14:32   #8
BHPian

Well Loud , after all its my Dad's car . or 'was' . He wasn't so keen on getting any mods done himself ! He's no petrol head , just a daily commuter . I bet he doesn't have much of an idea about these things . Anyways , all is well that ends well .

Yeah, i agree with the rules . It won't happen again !

As for now , the VW Dealer in Hubli is making a fool of himself . its been over 3 weeks after booking and he still hasn't given a date of delivery ! :O I will definitely post a detailed review when and if the car comes ! I love the Vento , but the dealer is giving us every reason not to buy it ! They have withdrawn all benefits ont he High Line from the previous month , that means a whopping 40k increase in On Road price !! And as i said he's not providing any details on the cars progress to making it to our home . We are considering going for the Rapid by canceling the booking . But as i said , i love the Vento !
Old 10th June 2013, 15:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amogh Barakol View Post
They have withdrawn all benefits ont he High Line from the previous month , that means a whopping 40k increase in On Road price !! And as i said he's not providing any details on the cars progress to making it to our home . We are considering going for the Rapid by canceling the booking . But as i said , i love the Vento !
40k increase in On Road Price of your car is really a bad news. Before dropping out the Vento from your list, go to a Skoda dealership and check out the offers on the Rapid. The Rapid is also a great buy, considered as a poor sister of Vento!
I got my Ambition Petrol Automatic for around 9.5-9.6 Lacs On Road after all accessories. I was hardly offered any freebies, except floor mats.

I would advice you to open up a new thread before going in for a particular car and take advice from members. It would be off topic here.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:24   #10
BHPian

Yeah , understandably ! But the Dealer just called and confirmed delivery of the car within 8-10 days ! So that 'off' topic is now off !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks