Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2013, 15:14   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: First 1,000 kms weekend trip done.

Having spectacles unfortunately limit the option of the Polaroids for me , but what i have done is stopped using any shining agent on the Fabia / T-Jet dashboard at all now , just wipe it with a dry cloth and let it be. After a day or so anyway there is a thin layer of dust which settles , despite the windows being rolled up all the time , and that absorbs a lot of glare as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
[ Maybe a nice pair of Polaroids would help me out.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:36   #92
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday had a bit of city driving as I needed to do a bunch of errands.
The dashboard reflection only happens when the sun is directly overhead. While the noon sun was irritating, by 3:30 pm the problem had subsided.

I was shopping at Karachi Bakery yesterday. I very rarely use a valet. In the case of a new car, there is just no way I would hand it over.
So I parked it myself in the cellar. This is two floors down the exit ramp is very steep.
Its almost feels like a 45 degree angle. I might be exaggerating just a little.

The car climbed up halfway when I had to brake. It then refused to climb up. No wheel spin because I did not give it more than 3k rpm. The tacho is very helpful in its digital format. The car however refused to climb. In this confusion the car switched off. I had anyways engaged the hand brake. It held the car in place. The valets asked me to back up and try. I let go of the handbrake without switching on the car. The rear brakes absolutely refused to gather any traction. The car continued sliding down. I pulled up the handbrake, switched on the car. Regained my brakes almost immediately.

Once at the base, I simply accelerated my way out of that cellar without any issues.

Did I mention the floor was wet due to water dripping.

Many years back I had had a similar experience in my wagon r. It was the Amrutha Mall parking in Somajiguda. That slope was not as steep as this one. But it was a lot wetter.
My wagon's front wheels had literally danced left and right when I had accelerated.

This car handled it a little better but the 3k limit I have set for the 1,000 kms is so frustrating.

RPM and Engine Speed.
In the fifth gear the car does 90 at a little less than 2700.
3000 rpm takes you to 105.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:43   #93
Senior - BHPian

Missed this thread and just saw it. Congrats Imran! The sail is a very well sorted car and highly underrated. i drove it a month back and was taken aback by its amazing ride quality and the tractablitiy of the diesel engine.

Welcome to the chevy family
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:40   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was shopping at Karachi Bakery yesterday. I very rarely use a valet. In the case of a new car, there is just no way I would hand it over.
So I parked it myself in the cellar. This is two floors down the exit ramp is very steep.
Its almost feels like a 45 degree angle. I might be exaggerating just a little.
Hi Imran (@bblost)

For the dash reflection under afternoon sun, you may also use the dashboard covers, but not sure how appealing these are to any non-commercial user.

Regarding climbing steep slopes/ inclines, I feel the older cars with more torque rating were definitely better. We have a similar ramp in Crown Interior mall in Faridabad, & yesterday I could easily climb out of second basement in second gear (engaged midway) in my '03 Santro Xing. On an earlier occasion, there was water on the surface due to rains, & yet it pulled 4 of us from second basement again.

Moreover, your car is heavier & the new emission norms have resulted in lowering the torque rating, which has affected the cars with smaller engines the most. Also, having tyres in good shape also helps in such tricky (steep incline + slippery surface) helps a lot.

PS: Apology for quoting your whole post... please edit whatever you feel appropriate.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd September 2013 at 14:43. Reason: Reduced the size of quoted post. Thanks./
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:25   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi Imran

I forget to mention that my car runs on CNG these days, & as compared to petrol, there is some power loss, yet it manages these situations with aplomb.

I could not edit the earlier post, hence, had to post the same separately. Please feel free to merge this with the earlier one.

Thanks
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:12   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The car climbed up halfway when I had to brake. It then refused to climb up. No wheel spin because I did not give it more than 3k rpm. The tacho is very helpful in its digital format. The car however refused to climb. In this confusion the car switched off. I had anyways engaged the hand brake. It held the car in place. The valets asked me to back up and try. I let go of the handbrake without switching on the car. The rear brakes absolutely refused to gather any traction. The car continued sliding down. I pulled up the handbrake, switched on the car. Regained my brakes almost immediately.
Not sure if its a MJD engine issue. Similar thing happened to me with Ertiga and Car did not move even in first gear after i applied sudden break. I had to switch off both AC and then it moved.
its a puny 1.25 ltr diesel engine and without the turbo kicking in, the power delivery is on par with any small displacement engine.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 2nd September 2013 at 14:32.
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:42   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Not sure if its a MJD engine issue. Similar thing happened to me with Ertiga and Car did not move even in first gear after i applied sudden break. I had to switch off both AC and then it moved.
its a puny 1.25 ltr diesel engine and without the turbo kicking in, the power delivery is on par with any small displacement engine.
I have a Petrol. Its engine specs are:

Quote:
Max. Power (PS@rpm) 86 PS @ 6000 rpm
Max. Torque (NM@rpm) 113 NM @ 5000 rpm

Because I am still in the initial break in period I have a self imposed limit of 3000 rpm.
There was no way I could go towards its peak power and torque values.
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:49   #98
Team-BHP Support

The self imposed rev limiter is really not needed. The idea is not to have sudden bursts of acceleration and braking. So red lining like mad is not ok but going till 4000rpm is absolutely fine. Don't slip clutch for crazy start off the lights or rev suddenly till 5k and then just release your foot completely. Those are what you need to avoid. Also many times manual says don't keep it in constant rpm for long. Keep changing gears if on highway.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:01   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The self imposed rev limiter is really not needed. The idea is not to have sudden bursts of acceleration and braking. So red lining like mad is not ok but going till 4000rpm is absolutely fine. Don't slip clutch for crazy start off the lights or rev suddenly till 5k and then just release your foot completely. Those are what you need to avoid. Also many times manual says don't keep it in constant rpm for long. Keep changing gears if on highway.
This trapped on the parking ramp would have broken all those rules. High revving at standstill and dropping the clutch to take off.

Something I avoid on a used car and something I most certainly would not like to try on a new car.
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:24   #100
BHPian

Re: The Selection Process

Quote:
Tata Vista:
-- Am not sure if I can trust the airbags to deploy.
Anything solid behind that line, or just an opinion??

Chevrolet can be happy that someone is actually making one of their cars popular! Kudos for thinking out of the box, and sticking to that thought!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:34   #101
BHPian

Congrats on a very sensible family car, sure to serve you for many years to come.
Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:54   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Anything solid behind that line, or just an opinion??

No, its just an opinion.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:39   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, its just an opinion.
I guess I need to give a little more explanation that just a curt reply.

Thing is I have constantly read on the cost cutting by Tata. Over a period of time a sort of a negative perception gets created. That Tata makes vehicles at a price and hence it skimps on basic things.
A case of putting in a lot of features but not choosing the best available.

Things like power window switches etc failing make me very wary of the higher end electronics in the car.

Since my prime requirement was safety, I decided to avoid Tata. IN fact for the price I paid for my Petrol hatch, I could have easily bought the Diesel Tata Vista.

But every time I drove it, I would be unsure and that mental feeling would have dampened most of my drives.
Old 5th September 2013, 10:22   #104
BHPian

Congratulations on such a crisp and detailed ownership thread. The initial post of the requirements of a person who has is needs clear when looking for a car upgrade is very good. It will help a lot of us making a decision when it comes to deciding the car. Hope you have many more good times with the car.
alokgunhal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 19:12   #105
BHPian

Congratulations bblost on your new ride. Wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this car. May she serve you well :-)

This shade of grey really looks cool on this car. I have never checked this car out in person but from what I see the rear legroom and space in general would be class-leading(not considering the Indica Vista in my comparo).

Happy mile munching. Cheers !!

Last edited by Baddychat : 5th September 2013 at 19:13. Reason: Fixed typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks