Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 10:37   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: First 1,000 kms weekend trip done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Does boot easily fits in your bike (with front wheel disassembled)? Q5?

This picture is from the Chevy website:
BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-sailuva_model_overview_leavenothingbehind_980x420_01.jpg

I have not yet had the need to carry my Q5 inside it.
Will take a pic when I do.

I however think that parcel tray will be a problem when I have to load my cycle. Actually I am also contemplating buying a single bike rear carrier for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Congratulations!

From the pics posted in this page, I presume, you drove your Car a bit in the rains. How are the stock wipers? Handling isn't affected much in the rains?

Wishing you miles of happiness & would be glued to this thread.

The wipers are adequate. But I noticed a bit of the tremor on the driver side wiper when it reaches the A Pillar. I am not sure if the blade is hard or the windscreen needs to be cleaned. Maybe I will clean the windscreen with some old newspaper and check again.

It was raining quite heavily when I drove home yesterday. The car is a lot more planted than my Wagon R. Was easily able to drive at the speed limit 80kmph. I had done a braking test during one of my test drives in pouring rain. That was the time I got fully convinced on buying this car.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 10:41   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I had done a braking test during one of my test drives in pouring rain. That was the time I got fully convinced on buying this car.
Yes, did read about it. You had asked your friend to watch your back.

The wiper might be a bit loose as well.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 10:47   #78
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mate, SAIL is probably the most underrated car in our market today. But however it is quite versatile with its performance and features. How practical is the tachometer which i believe is a digital one and is stored away in a small corner on the dashboard.
If only Chevy had marketed it better this would have challenged Figo/Ritz if not i20 & Swift.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 10:55   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yes, did read about it. You had asked your friend to watch your back.

The wiper might be a bit loose as well.

I will check this out. Did not occur to me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
How practical is the tachometer which i believe is a digital one and is stored away in a small corner on the dashboard.
With the steering adjusted correctly and only if its adjusted correctly do you see the entire console.
I find the tacho quite convenient. Reminds me to keep the rpm's less than 3k.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 13:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

First of all welcome to the Chevy Owners Club (unofficial though). Congratulations on owning one of the best, yet underrated and under-marketed product in the hatchback segment !!
I think, a flashy colour could have suited you. Again, just a thought.

I own a Beat LT (2011) and definitely Chevy products are worth the money. No wonder, as time passes Chevy is rolling out VFM products.
But, I sometimes wonder, why did the UVA hatchback die a slow and painful death ? The thing that worries me, is the Sustainability of Chevy products.

This brings us to the point raised by Mr. Beat.
My Beat has 20k on ODO and is 2.5 yrs old. Niggles and issues listed by Mr.Beat have started cropping up. I don't have an extended warranty. Hence I am not sure how much will it burn in my pocket. Just hoping that things remain under control for some more time.
Note: Every other car on road has niggles and issues. What matters is how severe they are, and at what interval / ODO have they cropped up. I am purely speaking from a middle class fixed salary income group. For me replacing parts on the fly would be difficult.

My recommendation: Yes, please get an extended warranty on you ride. Ofcourse, this need not be done right now. But has to be done anytime before your standard warranty expires. (3yrs in case of Beat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Congratulations!!! It's a nice car and just like figo the looks grow on you as the day pass by. Being a Beat owner, i would suggest you to take the extended warranty ( if it covers parts like suspension/door latches/ power windows).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
The answer is partly yes and partly no. My suspension struts mounting has been changes under warranty, now the A/C radiator fan is giving vibrations higher than normal, the fuel pump was changed under warranty. This is for a 3 year old car with 30,000 kms on the ODO. I strongly recommend one if it does cover major parts.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 13:47   #81
BHPian

Hi Immi

Congrats to you on your new toy.... very comprehensive coverage. Ofcourse nothing less is expected from you:

Hey why dont you try nitrogen in your tyres. I dont know about others but I have got a very good experience with nitrogen in the tyres of my scorp. They dont fluctuate with temperature and once you fill it its like "fill it & forget it" it needs your attention only after 4 - 5 months.

BTW did you check the offset of the speedo against a GPS?

That you are doing a proper milage check it will be worth it.

Enjoy your new ride but for heaven's sake don't think of removing the meter console .......
kchatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 16:00   #82
BHPian

Hey bblost,

Very comprehensive and detailed review! The Sail UVA is a really sensible product for the Indian market, its really sad to not see it more up there in the Sales Charts.

Here's wishing you many miles of safe happy driving!
sapeco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 16:18   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
My recommendation: Yes, please get an extended warranty on you ride. Ofcourse, this need not be done right now. But has to be done anytime before your standard warranty expires. (3yrs in case of Beat)
I will do this within the next 30 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchatt View Post
Hi Immi

Hey why dont you try nitrogen in your tyres.
I am currently filling the tires with 78% nitrogen. Very satisfied with the same.

Quote:

BTW did you check the offset of the speedo against a GPS?
I just installed a GPS tracker on my phone for exactly this reason.
Was planning on an ORR drive yesterday. Unfortunately hit an issue at work and could not bunk office.

Quote:

That you are doing a proper milage check it will be worth it.

Enjoy your new ride but for heaven's sake don't think of removing the meter console .......
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 18:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This picture is from the Chevy website:
Attachment 1131548
The pic appears photoshoped to me. Either they are kids' bikes or they have been digitally re-sized to fit in there so easily. Misleading information by Chevy

Last edited by Mpower : 30th August 2013 at 18:19.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 18:15   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The pic appears photoshoped to me. Either they are kids' bikes or they have been made smaller to fit in there so easily.
It definitely is. Just look at the crank of the bike. It's of elders. Rather then resizing image they have resized bike

Still Sail is far more roomier than Swift/Polo/Punto.
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 12:54   #86
BHPian

Re: The Chevrolet Sail UVA Petrol.

Quote:
Its a market dud. .....
To be honest, buying a Sail is going against every bit of reason and common sense.........

When I decided to buy a new car, I came up with a small list of priorities.
1. A good rear seat that can comfortably accommodate 2 child seats and an adult.
2. Airbags for both the driver and passenger.
3. ABS with EBD.
Since safety was a key factor, I took a Sail UVA on test drive with the intention of testing its brakes........
As I entered the ring road it started raining very heavily. There was absolutely no traffic on the road. It has a speed limit of 80 kmph. I took the car to 80 and with my friend watching the rear to make sure there is no one. I slammed on the brakes.
The ABS kicked in and the pedal pulsated for a moment or two. The car had stopped in perfect line with very little movement. Taking advantage of the completely deserted road, we tried lane turns at 60-70 kmph with mild braking to see how planted the car is.
I fell in love with its braking ability.
I wish all new car buyers had priorities just like you
I too panic brake tested all hatches from chevy, Hyundai, TATA, Fiat and maruti before I bought the Beat. Some people give more importance to the features and accessories but blatantly ignore the car's road manners.
I personally feel that vehicles with american and European genes have better road manners but always sell lesser than their korean or japanese counterparts.
Wishing you many miles of smiles with your Sail.
Old 31st August 2013, 13:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

Solid observation , the picture and the bikes do look really funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The pic appears photoshoped to me. Either they are kids' bikes or they have been digitally re-sized to fit in there so easily. Misleading information by Chevy
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 18:18   #88
BHPian

Congratulations and welcome to the club Sir,

Sail should keep you pleased almost in all areas in times to come. I confirm all the points you have mentioned here. It is highly underrated car. Now that prices have dropped you must have got pretty good deal. My LS ABS has done 11K+ KMs, and I would say I am pretty satisfied with the car.

Have fun!
indianvirus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 21:42   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the club Sir,
Thanks a lot. You have no idea how many many times I have read your thread.

As the is approaching 400 kms the idling level has actually come down from the earlier 800 rpm to 700 rpm.

What is the rpm in your car?
Old 1st September 2013, 14:42   #90
Team-BHP Support

A correction

I had assumed that there is no reflection of the dash board on the windscreen. I was wrong.

There is none as long as you are driving around in the morning or evenings. But if the sun is straight up in the sky at noon there is a lot of reflection. However its not very bad but coming from the dark dashboard of the Wagon R, I do find it a little irritating. Maybe a nice pair of Polaroids would help me out.

Most Viewed