Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 10:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Chevrolet Sail UVA Petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My running did not warrant a Diesel. Plus I am not a big fan of the turbo stuff.
I am of a different opinion. To me a diesel drives better simply because of the torque on offer. Its all the more apparent in small hatchback with small petrol engines while climbing a flyover with A/C and full complement of passengers. It bogs down while the diesel will just go through owing to the amount of torque on offer.
These days the diesel and the petrol options in a car develop almost identical power but the diesels have the torque and fuel efficiency advantage.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 10:59   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: First 1,000 kms weekend trip done.

Congrats on the car Imran.

You've made a choice not many would have - wish you miles of safe travel.

- How much more expensive was a similar spec Sail Sedan ?

- Waiting a click of the boot, whenever you've loaded it fully and a report on its driving characteristics thereafter. No hurry though

Last edited by Eddy : 26th August 2013 at 11:00.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 12:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations @bblost

I felt the same as you, when I visited the Chevy showroom few months back to have a dekho of the Sail twins. The cars are extremely VFM & no-nonsense cars, tick most boxes & are sensible buys, but, not made from heart. Their rear seat space is a USP for cars in the price range, & the fit & finish is good, except the hard plastics, of course.

Good to see you have chosen a variant with all the safety features on board .

I have seen quite a few Sail cars in NCR, & IMO the colour (Grey) brings the best in this car.

I wish you millions of happy miles on the car.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 12:58   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
These days the diesel and the petrol options in a car develop almost identical power but the diesels have the torque and fuel efficiency advantage.
My home-office commute is approximately 18 kms. Of this around 12 kms is on the Hyderabad ORR. The speed limit is 80kmph. I love the free revs of a petrol over the turbo kick of a diesel.
I am also not very shy when it comes to stamping down on the accelerator in low gears. So the absence of low range torque has never been an issue with me. Even when I was driving the Wagon R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Congrats on the car Imran.

You've made a choice not many would have - wish you miles of safe travel.

- How much more expensive was a similar spec Sail Sedan ?

- Waiting a click of the boot, whenever you've loaded it fully and a report on its driving characteristics thereafter. No hurry though
In OTR terms, the Sail Sedan was just about 97k more than hatch.

The full boot click may take a while. But a driving run on the entire ORR (153 kms one way) is planned sometime this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Congratulations @bblost

I felt the same as you, when I visited the Chevy showroom few months back to have a dekho of the Sail twins. The cars are extremely VFM & no-nonsense cars, tick most boxes & are sensible buys, but, not made from heart. Their rear seat space is a USP for cars in the price range, & the fit & finish is good, except the hard plastics, of course.
One thing I like about the Liva and Sail Hatchback is these are derived from a Sedan. They hence give you a sedan feel inside unlike hatch based sedans like the Amaze and the Dzire.

For me the primary requirement was space. If the Liva had had decent interiors, it would have been a natural choice. That 1.5 engine in the TRD Sportivo is simply mind blowing at its price range. But it was too much on a compromise and I was not willing to make it.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 13:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

@bblost

Congratulations on the "Sail"ing. The colour looks great on the car, although personally I would have preferred white colour.

The car was one of the contenders during my search but for a diesel car. I had loved the way the car pulls at low torque. Agree with you about the AC, it does chill the car fast. What about the awkardly placed power window buttons, how do you find them during the daily use? The USB slot on the HU is one more irritant as it hampers the HU buttons IMO. The LT variant, does it come with the ABS coz I couldnt see anywhere ABS badging? Also surprisingly no T-BHP stickers as yet?

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 13:15   #21
BHPian

congratulations!
The car indeed looks great in this colour and interiors are quite spacious too.
Is the rear seat comfort better than that of i20?
shantyrocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 13:28   #22
BHPian

Congratulations Imran
Having driven the Figo for almost 3 yr, I found the Sail ride more like 'Sailing' - Plush.
Also, I thought the low end torque of the engine very good -very predictive.
SRKHYD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 13:32   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@bblost
What about the awkardly placed power window buttons, how do you find them during the daily use?
They felt awkward on the first day. By the third or fourth day we became friends.

Quote:
The USB slot on the HU is one more irritant as it hampers the HU buttons IMO. The LT variant, does it come with the ABS coz I couldnt see anywhere ABS badging? Also surprisingly no T-BHP stickers as yet?
I am currently using my old pen drive. I will shortly order one of those really small pen drives. But even this one is not a big problem. Am not much of a music buff and I use the right hand side dial. Spinning it around to move to the next tracks.

The ABS Sticker is present above the turn indicators on the front fenders. Check out the side profile pics in my review posts.
The brakes are very good on this car.

Will add the stickers very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congratulations!
The car indeed looks great in this colour and interiors are quite spacious too.
Is the rear seat comfort better than that of i20?
The rear seat on the Sail is not as contoured as the i20.
So if there are 2 passengers, I guess the i20 is more comfortable. But with 3 passengers the Sail would be more comfortable.
But I have not spent time in the back seats of either of these cars. So this is just a guess.
Old 26th August 2013, 13:56   #24
Team-BHP Support

Very logical and methodical search there @bblost. TO be frank, in spite of all what is written about the car, even I would like to take a car which has a no non-sense presence and which goes about doing it's job silently in the back ground without making its presence felt.
My choice of cars have been on similar lines. Does it also come with that 3-year service package like the Spark and Optra?

Congrats and all the best. Happy mile crunching!
Old 26th August 2013, 13:57   #25
BANNED

Congratulation Imran for the Sail!

For a change you have gone out of the box and got this car! I quiet like the car on the whole, the interiors and the space around with a pretty airy feeling inside the cabin. Are you planning any tyre upgrades in the future or retaining stock?

My BIL has also bought the same car in LS 1.3 TCDi variant and I like engine's state of tune.

Happy Sailing!

Anurag.
Old 26th August 2013, 14:03   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Does it also come with that 3-year service package like the Spark and Optra?
It does, I have not taken it. Did not really think it has a lot of value since my running would just be about 35k in 3 years.

The car uses Synthetic oil and oil change is 15k or one year, whichever is earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congratulation Imran for the Sail!

For a change you have gone out of the box and got this car! I quiet like the car on the whole, the interiors and the space around with a pretty airy feeling inside the cabin. Are you planning any tyre upgrades in the future or retaining stock?

My BIL has also bought the same car in LS 1.3 TCDi variant and I like engine's state of tune.

Happy Sailing!

Anurag.
The car came with Apollo Accelere. These tires are not great but they are definitely not bad either.

My first purchase for the car is going to be a car cover. The car is much longer than my old Wagon R and this has a unique problem. It fits perfectly in my podium parking. But when it rains, that water is dripping down on the car. Either the front or the rear will get wet. Water as such is not a problem but this will be hard water and I want to avoid those stains.
Old 26th August 2013, 14:47   #27
BANNED

Good show. The car you have chosen is a fine one and meets the actual requirements of families very well. In fact the Sail UVA ticks all the boxes when it comes to space, comfort, an unstressed ride, easy and low cost maintenance etc.
This car is the one on which our car industry should model it lower segment products and not on quirky Swifts and ugly Ritzes.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 16:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
One thing I like about the Liva and Sail Hatchback is these are derived from a Sedan. They hence give you a sedan feel inside unlike hatch based sedans like the Amaze and the Dzire.
+1 to that. When I bought my Liva G in May, I narrowed down to Sail sedan and Liva as final contenders. Finally went with Liva as Sail sedan as always, had delivery issues. But I figured ride quality would be so much better in these cars over the more popular hatches in the market. Now I am so happy with my decision.
Inquisitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 16:35   #29
BANNED

Quote:
My first purchase for the car is going to be a car cover.
Doesn't Chevrolet stock the car covers in their Spares? I thought you buy such as it would be mentioned in their accessories list.

Buy a soft one else it would scratch the car paint on repeated usage.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 17:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Sixth Day: The Photoshoot-2

Its a great feeling to buy exactly what suits your need. Even I was apprehensive when we got the i-10 Asta A/T for my mom but the day to day satisfaction
that you get from the perfect car beats things like resale value and poor service.

Quote:
So effectively all you see is the back of the stop light and cars less than 100 meters from you. Vehicles further away are completely hidden.
You will also not see little children standing right behind your Rr bumper.

I would suggest a reverse camera. Prices on those have dropped now

Last edited by Mpower : 26th August 2013 at 20:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks