Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2013, 22:42   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: First 1,000 kms weekend trip done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I log my milage using FuelLog

Try the pro version of the same app. You can export CSV. Move that CSV to your Google drive/sky drive or Drop box client, and your readings are there in the cloud. I have been using that process from Day 1 since my Duster purchase. Works like a charm.

Last edited by ampere : 10th November 2013 at 22:43.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 21:59   #152
Team-BHP Support

I was to drive about 50 kms thru some nasty traffic today.
So decided to try out my hunch.

I switched on the car only after all the lights in the dashboard had settled down. The car behaved perfectly fine for around the first 20 kms of my trip.

Had a break. Drove another 15 kms thru nasty traffic without any issues.

Then after I dropped my sister at her home, I started the car without waiting.
5 kms later, the rpm jerking started.

Can you please ask you cousin to test this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
My cousin owns a Sail sedan (Petrol). He had faced similar problem or rather still facing. In his case RPM needle fluctuates even when the car is stand still (engine does not revv up, just the needle jumps).
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 22:16   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have already passed on your experience to him. Unfortunately he could be trying it out only by the end of this week. He has just moved to Pune from Delhi and is expecting the car to reach by this weekend. Will share the results here once I get news from him.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 05:56   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
Just wanted to thank you for putting up an excellent thread. Your insights have helped in my decision to buy a SAIL Sedan. I have taken the delivery as of yesterday and will soon put up an initial ownership thread.
As a proud owner of a 5 yr old Aveo 1.4, I strongly vouch for the Sail U-VA & Sedan. Quality of GM manufacturing is impeccable & in Mumbai I got great service from National Motors until they moved to Audi. My experiences with Ashtavinayak & JFD VFM Saki Naka have been so-so, but not bad.

No major expenses on the car except a leaking radiator a few months back that cost me 23k to get replaced.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 13:00   #155
Team-BHP Support

Just ordered this for Rs 873.27(Applied a coupon for 7% off)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
If you need instand FE figures, get a ELM327 bluetooth dongle and pair with android smart phone or tablet.
Now its available in Ebay India for less than 1K. (half the price in international sites).

Ebay india links:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/ELM-327-Lates...item2ecb097d4e
Will update once I get delivery and play with my new toy.

Thanks Salbin. I ordered based on your recommendation. As our cars share the engine.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:04   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Just ordered this for Rs 873.27(Applied a coupon for 7% off)
Will update once I get delivery and play with my new toy.
Thanks Salbin. I ordered based on your recommendation. As our cars share the engine.
These are really cheap chinese stuff.
So dont expect any sort of warranty.

Suggest you to use "Torque Pro" android app.
"Torque lite" available free in the play store is not good.
Just google for getting Torque Pro apk or buy it.
Also try some interesting add-ons for Torque Pro like video capture along with the real time info watermark!
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 15:01   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
These are really cheap chinese stuff.
So dont expect any sort of warranty.

Suggest you to use "Torque Pro" android app.
"Torque lite" available free in the play store is not good.
Just google for getting Torque Pro apk or buy it.
Also try some interesting add-ons for Torque Pro like video capture along with the real time info watermark!
The OBD has been installed and it came along with Torque Pro in a CD.
Works fine and shows me interesting information like mileage (instant and average), temperatures for oil and coolant, rpm etc.
The port was along the steering column. I removed the side coin pocket and accessed it.
Old 19th November 2013, 15:19   #158
BHPian

Hi BBlost,

I have two question for you.

1. My dealer has charged me around 7500/- extra towards the registration and also given me a official receipt saying RTO charges. My question is this a standard practice across all Chevy dealers?

2. My dealer hasnt given any original PUC certificate stating that new cars dont need any PUC for first 6 months. The law is not stated very clearly on RTO website as well. Does anybody know the exact interpretation? BTW T-Bhp check list says original PUC to be given by dealer which is valid for one year.
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:02   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
Hi BBlost,

I have two question for you.

1. My dealer has charged me around 7500/- extra towards the registration and also given me a official receipt saying RTO charges. My question is this a standard practice across all Chevy dealers?

2. My dealer hasnt given any original PUC certificate stating that new cars dont need any PUC for first 6 months. The law is not stated very clearly on RTO website as well. Does anybody know the exact interpretation? BTW T-Bhp check list says original PUC to be given by dealer which is valid for one year.
I think I paid some money don't recall exactly how much as registration and number plate charges.
It was not as high as 7,500. If I recall it was more like 3,000 or so. But not able to recall it.

No such certificate with me.
I think its one year from the date on the RC.

http://www.aptransport.org/html/faq.php?cat=51
Quote:
• Pollution under Control Certificate if the vehicle is more than 1 year old.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 00:18   #160
Team-BHP Support

Long Run

A very good friend was getting married. The distance was approximately 500 kms. I jumped at the opportunity to test out the Sail on the highways.

We left Hyderabad on Friday morning. 5 passengers and the vague threat of road blocks due to Andhra Pradesh bifurcation in the air.

BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-dscn1060.jpg
The dent on the bumper is courtesy a nasty traffic jam and a biker. I guess we were both to blame. Will order and test the pop-o-dent on it.

The car effortlessly cruises at the 80-100 kmph speeds. Not much wind noise and while the steering is light, its not a big cause for concern.
The clutch is superlight. Makes driving effortless. But the fifth gear has no life in it. Needs a downshift whenever a tight overtaking is needed.
BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-dscn1069.jpg

We encountered a road block. We took the car off road into some village and rejoined the highway a couple of kms later. The car although loaded with 5 passengers did not scrape anywhere. In fact its ground clearance is amazing. But for the record we did scrape one speed breaker. Happened on the return trip when the police diverted all the NH5 traffic into some narrow roads because the CM was visiting. We ended up going a little too fast over a speedbreaker just before a railway track. Stopped and checked. No damage anywhere.

BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-dscn1081.jpg
We entered Vijayawada in style.

BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-dscn1085.jpg
Tanked up in a HP bunk. They managed to fill in a lot of petrol. The mileage turned out to be 11.xx
I was very surprised and felt that the bunk had cheated us. But it was a crowded bunk. Something did not feel right. I later realized that the full tank level remained for almost 200 kms. I don't know how they sqeezed in so much fuel. I will update the correct mileage figures once I do a tank up at my regular fuel station using the regular nozzle. I am guessing overall mileage was approx 14 kmpl.

BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-dscn1377.jpg

BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-dscn1485.jpg
BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-dscn1480.jpg
The GMC Balayogi bridge on NH 214. 10 years back I had ridden my bike on this bridge.

BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-dscn1494.jpg

BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.-dscn1539.jpg
I wish to see many such beautiful skies with my car.

Issues Found:
1. A squeeking sound from the dashboard. Very irritating. Will get this fixed very soon.
2. RPM Fluctuations: Occurred in city traffic. Don't yet know why it happens. This time the car actually switched off.
3. Engine switching off: If I brake and slow down very fast from speeds around a 100. The car would switch off. Happened at least 3 times. If I was not actually stopping the rpm would go to zero and then the car would restart because its in motion. I will update once I get it checked by the ASS.

All pictures are courtesy: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/srkhyd.html

Last edited by bblost : 9th December 2013 at 00:22.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 05:52   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bblost, I heard from my cousin. His running has come down a lot. In Delhi he used to drive 50 kms almost daily to and from his office. In Pune he has his company transport hence running has reduced. However practising what you said seems to have reduced the rpm fluctuation problem. It still does occur though. Don't know if it is due to the practice of starting the car after all alarms have gone, that the problems have reduced, or is it that he observes it less since the running has come down.

Hope it helps.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 09:21   #162
Team-BHP Support

re: BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: First weekend drive for a thousand kms.

Vibbs,

I don't think the startup sequence has anything to do with it.
In your cousins case it might just be the lesser length of traffic jams. I have found the issue happen only in gridlocked traffic jams with AC on.
Given its quite cold these days, he may not be using the ac a lot.

Thanks for the update
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 11:07   #163
Senior - BHPian

Re: Long Run

Quote:
3. Engine switching off: If I brake and slow down very fast from speeds around a 100. The car would switch off. Happened at least 3 times. If I was not actually stopping the rpm would go to zero and then the car would restart because its in motion. I will update once I get it checked by the ASS.
This sounds similar to Figo's well known engine shutoff problem - when speed reduces the engine can't keep up the rpm above stall levels.

In Figo this used to happen when one pressed the clutch while downshifting (almost always at moderate to high rpm in that gear) there was no engine restart to be had.

Anyone else noticed the same thing?
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 12:05   #164
Senior - BHPian

Re: Long Run

Quote:
I had similar problem in my car few days back, & change of the spark plugs & RPM adjustment did help. FYI, my car runs on bi-fuel combo (CNG+Petrol), & I did not face the problem in daily running after that, & I also made a highway trip of 500 kms safely, in the meantime.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 17:57   #165
Senior - BHPian

re: BBLost's Chevrolet Sail UVA: 100k. Full Suspension Overhaul.

I would suggest that you take it to the dealer and demand that your IAC (idle air control) valve assembly be completely replaced
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed