Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 17:35   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san

Well, the cars been around for a fair bit now, running daily duty of a 100 odd kms, and things are holding up pretty well, all things considered.
There was a slight diesel leakage issue which was traced to a 100 rupee seal and was fixed.
And its still all smiles going to the pumps for a tank up...
She's 95%driver driven, and I would very much like to hear your words on the mileage.
Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-screenshot_20140109165920.png

Part from these, some battle scars from the delhi warzone have made their way on her. I didnt understand the full body lower cladding, but the bumps justify them.
One unlucky Dzire crashed into car , impacting the cladding on the rear left wheel well. He parked in front of me, and I came out to see his front right wing UTTERLY demolished, and my heart sank. I could just imagine the damage and the monetary outflow that the tucson would have. When I made my way around, I couldnt even spot where he had hit me!
Guy was a gentleman, and walked away, acknowledging his fault, and also saying that he couldnt even be sure if it was me he hit.

Oh, and apparently Robin has one of these as well!

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_006101-2.jpg
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 19:05   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

The whole of the cladding had taken varying amounts of hits over the past few months, as had the right side rear door. The last straw was an auto running into the rear left quarter panel last week.So, she went to the painter, the whole cladding and both bumpers were painted, as were the door and panel. Good as new.
I wanted to try this guy out as well, and this was a fair enough chance.
The results are fantastic, and total came out to be extremely reasonable.
7k!

Happy!
Old 5th April 2014, 23:56   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Just took a round trip to Agra.
Maybe it's a combination of the eway, and the consistent 100 kmph ,but the gentle giant returned 16 kmpl.
I think that's fantastic considering the size and the age.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 13:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mayank. Where did you get the paintjob done?
Old 7th April 2014, 13:46   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Hey Mayank. Where did you get the paintjob done?
Raj mechanic.
He's taking end to end care of the car.
Old 19th May 2014, 10:46   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, after a lot of dilly dallying, finally changed the tyres.
I read up on a few threads about michelins and all, but damn are these specs leprechauns!!
I spoke to about 8-9 dealers this sunday, and noone had these specs. One guy said you should go for 245.65r16.
That somehow seemed odd, not out of experience or any such thing, but because i had not read about this anywhere.
I could only find Nankangs in this spec, and by this time, the ancient duelers seemed like they were at the end of their tether, "Dude!!Pension, please!!!", they seemed to scream.

The insignia's, however, still had about 20k of ride left in them. But they were 215.
The one that went to the gym most often has been retained as the spare.

As far as difference goes, well, they are new, and the old ones were pretty well ridden, so of course, a better ride.
One things for certain, though, there is MUCH less tyre noise. Although that can again be attributed to the OAP dueler.

I spoke in length with the dealers for suggestions on alloys, and tyres where I could maybe get that Bulldog look, with the tyres not out of the bodyline, but filling up the wheel-arch width.
I have to recommend this guy. Whether he didnt have stock, or was just a good guy, he told me not to do this to the Tucson. It would cause more problems than anything else. I was ready to get fitment done right there and then, but he flatly refused.So, Kudos, Shyam tyre centre.

Most open to ANY sort of views on the Nankangs. I have seen the brand very often in west and central delhi, but not on TBHP. However, the situation demanded and immediate change, hence........
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 11:58   #37
BHPian

I too got the Nankang FT4 in 235/60R16 profile. This was the only Highway tyre available in that size. Did not want to go for Hankook RF10 since I was worried I may go deaf if I ran At tyres any longer. For the past 2k, it has been really good. Only the rains will tell the complete story. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by K a s h : 19th May 2014 at 12:01.
K a s h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 13:32   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Help needed. I'm planning to redo the upholstery,panels, steering wheel, gear gaiter,the whole thing. Move from fabric to leather/art.
Leather for the beast is prohibitively expensive!
I thought I would look at art leather. Anybody can share their experience with autoform and the likes of it?
Expense, photos, life, anything?
Or maybe point to a cheaper leather option?
Old 4th June 2014, 14:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I thought I would look at art leather. Anybody can share their experience with autoform and the likes of it?
Expense, photos, life, anything?
Or maybe point to a cheaper leather option?
In Bangalore, the quote for Art leather for the Tucson was 14k couple of years back from Karlsson. The cost must have increased by 1-2 k now i guess. Planning to get this done next month.
K a s h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 12:26   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Went and spent 6 hours for seat covers on Sunday.

These were stitched right there and then in front of me.
The guy showed me materials, and I picked out the most robust looking material(art), in beige and black.
The stitching lines match the original stitches, so that it could be be attached to the seat properly at the right points.

I am happy with the work, though, I do want to go for leather proper, some time down the line.
There are a few crease shere and there, but they are dissappearing by themselves.
About a centre of foam under the covers, and its doing good work for comfort.

ALTHOUGH!!
I have to say, the fabric made for a cooler car.
With the 46deg sun, and the car being in the open for most of the, these take about 20 minutes to properly cool down, compared to the 2-3 minutes with the fabric originals.
I like it though.
The elbow suppert is pending, as are the doorcards, and handles.
For the steering, I'll go for proper leather.

It definitely feels like a better place to be in, the Tooky!

Oh, cost, 8k
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_0068.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_0066.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_0067.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_0069.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 11:09   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the old beast to Lansdowne over the eid weekend.
This is becoming sort of a pattern now. All the journeys I've done in the fiesta, I've picked out the ones which had the best driving experience, roads etc, and redone them in the Tucson. However, in 4 out of 6 cases the roads have become horrible in the interim, and in the remaining 2, I have never been able to take/find the same route again.

Number 7 falls in the former.
Due to the kanwar menace, I took NH24, via hapur, but the rains started as soon as we saw hills on the horizon. Then it was just a procession, trundling along after hatches and saloons speeding away in good sections and turns, but coming to 2kmph when there were a few rocks.....Oh come on!!!!
The tooky however, maintained a steady run at 30-35kmph, catching up, falling behind, till it got way too annoying for a red fiat, who zoomed off, took a corner too fast, screeched, and then was parked at the road after a bit, probably being berated by the significant other(I hope...crazy move that was!)

Anyway, for those who've been, there's bhulla taal in lansdowne, which has two routes to it.
One is propah, the other is "kaccha raasta". I unfortunately took the kaccha raasta, which starts at KV lansdowne, with a 100 meter drop at about 35 degrees. It was steep.
Plan was to get down from this side, and get back up from the proper road.
However, with the rain, the path disappeared, and I was now in a quandary,faced with what basically could have been a part of some off-road meet-a 35 deg incline, with only mud and rocks!
I have NO idea of the correct way to negotiate things offroad.
My first attempt at clutching and revving in the power band brought in the smell of burning eggs to the car.
Fortunately, the 4wd was idiot proof. Switched it on, 2k in 1st gear, and she just floated up!

On the return leg, heavy clouds and rains had closed off one route from Lansdowne, and a lot of rubble on the road in sections.
The extra rubber was appreciated, but the rains meant we hit ghaziabad at 5 in the evening(I don't know why i didn't come back via NH24 though!!).
Took 3 hours to negotiate that 10 km section.

Got hit by a wagonR ovartaking on the left, and then cut in front of me. He hit the front skirt, near the fogs, and drove off, and I also brushed it off, thinking what could have happened. However, As he drove off, I saw the moron sporting the stamp of the senile, the bullbar!!
Well, he has ripped off the bumper on the front right, thankfully no metal.
I just don't understand how this stupendously idiotic invention out of the slowest minds in world probably is legal in India. This si the second time it has turned what would have been a scratch on the bumper into a visit to the mechanic for me. Once in the fiesta, and now this.
I was able to catch up with this guy, and he asked how much to repair it, i said 3k.
Then he says, what, I get it done for 1000 bucks!
Dude, do you see the difference in the damage here? I told him, lets do an eye for an eye, ill just rip your bumper off, lets call it even.
He pulled out his wallet, and found 700 bucks. I let him go after that, told him to keep his money, that was not the point, just remove that effing thing from your car. You'll break some-ones leg at 5 kmph someday, and then youll be screwed over(Ill be happy for it though).

So anyway, wrapped up the trip with a slight sour taste.

Take this lesson for a trip to Lansdowne though.
Do NOT take NH58 on a trip to Landy.
Sign a petition calling for a ban on the WBD(B for bumper!)
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc00118.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_0357.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_0361.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-img_20140729_121551.jpg  

Last edited by mayankk : 30th July 2014 at 11:13. Reason: Dictionary went missing...
mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 12:32   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

The bumper is being repaired, as we speak, and also as I type. I think just the painting bit is left.
Also, i had ordered 27W LED lamps from Ali to place between the headlights and grille.
Good units, albeit, shipping caused teh first to break one LED in one lamp, and the other had 3 non functioning ones. The shipper gladly shipped out another pair, and the first set has been attached to a 10V adaptor and is doing duty as a balcony floodlamp!!

Anyway, After I dropped off the car, Raj called me up and said one fog lamps broken as well (remember the moron in the waggy?), butttttt the lamps fit perfectly in the fogs, and I dont need to drill into the bumper.
He sent these pictures, and I told him to go right ahead.
Bumper's been prepped, and hopefully will be mended by evening and Ill see whats what.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-2pcs427wledworklightlampip67floodtractortruckmotorcyclejeepatvoffroadfog.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-img20140731wa0015.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-img20140801wa0000.jpg  

Old 4th August 2014, 00:18   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

So, the led lights from above, they were tried out for the last few days, And I have to say, they are amazingly bright. Its just 27w, but god do they flood.
Much more light than the headlights, but being white, defeated by yellow lights.
Next step is to get proper 3000 k spot lamps. But I'm seriously chuffed about these for now.

Just look at the stock low and high beam for reference.
Attached Images

Old 4th August 2014, 07:29   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice. How much did those fog lamps cost you?
Old 4th August 2014, 14:18   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Nice. How much did those fog lamps cost you?
They came to 50 usd for the pair.

Most Viewed