Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 03:36   #76
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Tooky be back from a 700km trip to Bhimtal.
Reserve to reserve she took 60 litres of fuel.Yes, I put in a little more after cutoff.
That gave me a healthy 11.5+ kmpl on city/highway/mountains, which I feel is admirable.
I am glad to report that all is well. She's been on a trip or the other every-time she has been to the mechanic, and trial by fire has always been passed successfully.
Thanks Mayank for the thread, I'm planning to buy a Tucson and I'm glad to see that the parts are still available. I'll be going to a nearby city along with my mechanic to checkout a Tucson. Did you get a chance to use its 4WD system especially in a situation where it demanded a 4x4, what tyre size are you using on your Tucson right now?
Old 4th December 2015, 10:40   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post

Thanks Mayank for the thread, I'm planning to buy a Tucson and I'm glad to see that the parts are still available. I'll be going to a nearby city along with my mechanic to checkout a Tucson. Did you get a chance to use its 4WD system especially in a situation where it demanded a 4x4, what tyre size are you using on your Tucson right now?
Yep. On a couple of occasions in lansdowne and jaisalmer. It held well enough. Although I don't think you should take this car into any extreme locales.
As for the tyres, they're 235 section nankangs, which apparently is the stock size for the car. I think the mileage takes a hit, but haven't checked it. Definitely handle and look a lot better than the 215 that came with the car.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 10:59   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Yep. On a couple of occasions in lansdowne and jaisalmer. It held well enough. Although I don't think you should take this car into any extreme locales.
As for the tyres, they're 235 section nankangs, which apparently is the stock size for the car. I think the mileage takes a hit, but haven't checked it. Definitely handle and look a lot better than the 215 that came with the car.
thanks for your reply Mayank

235 will definately make it stick to the road more and will look awesome. It doesnt hit the walls or anything when braking hard? Not planning to take it to extreme places for sure. But wondering if 185mm ground clearance is sufficient for my purpose, its 185 right?
Old 4th December 2015, 11:07   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

thanks for your reply Mayank

235 will definately make it stick to the road more and will look awesome. It doesnt hit the walls or anything when braking hard? Not planning to take it to extreme places for sure. But wondering if 185mm ground clearance is sufficient for my purpose, its 185 right?
Nope. Doesn't hit anything on bumps or full lock.
And it has never scraped. Ever. And I haven't been careful either, so 185 is sufficient, yeah.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 13:33   #80
BHPian

Can anyone tell me if the exhaust pipe is a bit lower than the differential on the Tucson? Like when I lay down to see the clearance the lowest body part I see is the Exhaust pipe just a bit below the differential.

Also can anyone please recommend a good shop where I can get some Tucson stuff, like suspensions, lower arms, clutch assembly & inside door handles. I'll prefer getting it from Bombay or Pune since thats near to me, but if it has to be Delhi then I can get it from there too.
Old 8th March 2016, 11:53   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, one tyre popped in an accident, and was promptly replaced.
Now to anothe rmatter, of another tyre.
I was driving on one of the main roads in delhi, and suddenly hear a phbbt-phbbt sound. There was petrol pump just 20 metres ahead, and I stopped to check what had happened. The rear left was flat (not the new one). At the station, the tyre fixer upper removed the tyre and showed me a 1-1.5 inch TEAR in the centre of the tyre, going diagonal.
I was flabbergasted. I thought, thats a shitty tyre, its barely 2 years old!
The cursing, and shaking fists at the sky continued till the tyre came off the rim. And inside we find a bikes brake shoe from a disc!!
I had driven over it, and it had punctured the tyre, and gone in!!! Utter wrong place wrong time, wrong angle, wrong speed, whatever! The stars had aligned to place the shoe optimally to pierce the tyre and go in!! Aho Bhagya!

Anyway, the tyre guy put a tube in the tyre, and has asked that I get some rubber put on the tyre, that will fix it. Something a retreader guy will do. I want to ask, is this a feasible solution, as of now, the tyre is with a tube, but I can see the cut. The tyre guy will fix this, and it will be back to tubeless, but is it a fair solution? I need a safe car.
Otherwise, maybe I should just change the tyre. Maybe I'll change the brand as well. At the rate I am going, 2 tyres in 2 months......
Old 8th March 2016, 15:50   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

If I were you, I would get a new tyre. Which tyres are these?
Old 8th March 2016, 16:09   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If I were you, I would get a new tyre. Which tyres are these?
Nankangs.
235 sections.
I should just plop for the same brand, yeah? Both the blowouts have been owing to major external intrusions. I dont know if the bigger brands would have suffered the same fate against similar objects. Wouldn't they?
Old 8th March 2016, 21:11   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Well if both tyres went due to an accident, you can give Nankangs the benefit of doubt, yes :-) Personally I have no experience with Nankangs - good or bad. It's not a great brand so to speak but then tyres do come very expensive, don't they? I am running 235s as well - Michelins and they costed 12K each! How much is the Nankang?
Old 8th March 2016, 21:16   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Well if both tyres went due to an accident, you can give Nankangs the benefit of doubt, yes :-) Personally I have no experience with Nankangs - good or bad. It's not a great brand so to speak but then tyres do come very expensive, don't they? I am running 235s as well - Michelins and they costed 12K each! How much is the Nankang?
Ha Ha!!
Pittance, comparatively. 5k.
They've worked well so far. No complaints about ride or noise. The first one went in a proper accident, tore a fist sized hole in the sidewall. This one was the brake pad going through.
I think I'll stick to them considering no complaints, and the price.
Old 30th March 2016, 10:01   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a call from Raj the mechanic yesterday. He told me there is a Tucson that is lying in Mayapuri, waiting to be cut up. Asked if I wanted to buy the gearbox and differential, for around 30k. I anyone is interested, I can share his number. You could speak to him and find out what else can be salvaged.
Old 30th March 2016, 10:29   #87
BHPian

Quote:
I got a call from Raj the mechanic yesterday. He told me there is a Tucson that is lying in Mayapuri, waiting to be cut up. Asked if I wanted to buy the gearbox and differential, for around 30k. I anyone is interested, I can share his number. You could speak to him and find out what else can be salvaged.
Can you please share the number.
Old 30th March 2016, 10:33   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the number.
Have Pm'ed you his number. I also checked with him. Apparently, the car was a totalled, and as per him, cosmetic bits are unsalvageable. However, the drivetrain and everything else in the bay, apart from radiator, is in excellent nick.
Old 30th April 2016, 10:35   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

And we're back from a Delhi-Mussoorie trip.
720 kms, with an FE of 11.

Good fun.

Anyway, does anybody have any idea how to take the cladding off?
I read that there are clips, and a couple of bolts. You unscrew the bolts, and the clips need to be broken. o put it back, new clips need to be put in. As you can see, the cladding has taken a fair share of bumps and scrapes owing to Uttar Pradesh.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_1426.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_1425.jpg  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-dsc_1424.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2016, 10:34   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-untitled.jpg

So, we hit a milestone on the way back from Bharatpur on the Eway yesterday.
Well, she probably hit it some thousands ago, but on the Odo, with me, Phursht time this was.

Whats the update?
Well, post the engine overhaul, she's as good as can be. She behaves like a 1 Lac+ plus car. Some trims are showing age, and will be fixed up soon. The suspension will probably be preventively maintained in the next few months, and I am also thinking about a remap/box. I am entirely sure about the tune, though. Since she's already had an open heart, an I am not really looking to pull more power (not with all my heart, that is ).Reason being the fiesta. With the diesel ban, I cant sell of the tooky because I cant figure out what can replace it which will be as spacious, safe, and forgiving, and also since she's older than 10 years. And the fiesta just grabs something, hard, still. A 2 car garage is more than a handful for me right now.

Oh, and a quirk. During the run on the Eway, the temperature outside hit about 47C. COmbined with the arid land, and the hot wind, the temperature hitting the grille must have been 50+. I was doing 100 plus some speeds, and the aircon kept tripping. I almost turned back from Jewar, since it would have been unsurvivable. But I kept a steady 100 on the clock, and no complaints? Can this be attributed to the absolute maddening heat? It never tripped again in the next 500 kms. And was an absolute chiller throughout.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks