Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2015, 12:19   #136
BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Have put Hankook's V12 on my Skoda Laura, must say they are quite good, grip has increased and lesser tyre noise. They cost around 7200/tyre

Don't know about these tyres too much but as of now they feel good, however it could also be because that my old tyres were used fro 50k kms that these tyres feel good.

In the end of the day you cant go wrong with Michelins, have them on my Rapid, the grip is phenomenal.
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:08   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I strongly urge you to reconsider. I think it is a mistake. Leave the marketing stuff aside, Michelin too will have those so called different features. The Goodyear will be tougher, but that is it. I don't think you are going to go through bad patches and potholes without braking.
Sure Akshay!

Right now, my heart says Michelin. But my head is a bit paranoid about side-walls strength and asking (not forcing) me to think at alternatives. I do not want to be always worried about the tyres, whenever I go out on work. My job requires travelling and this is the only car I have.

205/55R16 P3ST has a thread-width of 214mm and weight of the tyre (around 20lb) is half of NCT5. This definitely works in favor of P3ST in terms of grip and balance. Lighter tyres also aid the mechanical well being of the car.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-p3st.png

Generally (my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong), Americans like quiet / comfort tyres, may be due to the straight roads they have. Europeans stress more on traction / grip and tyre noise is usually compromised.

I need good traction till at-least 35K Kms .I can live with noise, unless it becomes too intruding (something like NCT5 after 25K kms). Performance Michelin tyres are not available at stock size - Otherwise I would have gone for it. I do not mind better traction in my stock size, but I do not want to upgrade, to get better traction.

NCT5's are very good at traction / grip, for my requirement. It has not given me a scare till date. That may be because of my driving habit - But I am also not a very slow driver. For instance, I usually take about 5hrs to reach Hubli which is about 400kms from Bangalore or 7hrs to reach Hyderabad which is about 600Kms.

Now, the new tyre has to exceed this grip level and be lower in noise level. Following review is really interesting. Link: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...205-55-R16.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
In the end of the day you cant go wrong with Michelins, have them on my Rapid, the grip is phenomenal.
Thanks!! I really hope so, as I am now leaning towards P3ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
They don't have any offering in the 15" range! :(

Looks like mixed feedback. Do ask the local outlets as well.
Thanks Gannu_1 and congrats! really happy to see you as our Moderator.

Local outlets are quoting over 10K per tyre (205/55R16 91W). Where as, Snapdeal is offering it for Rs.8100 per tyre. There is a difference of more than 8k for a set of 4 tyres! I am thinking "why not try this?" - Snapdeal has a cash on delivery option also. They provide Installation at additional cost. What do you suggest? Do you foresee any issues with warranty?

Link: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/mich...ST%20205/55R16
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:56   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
S
Now, the new tyre has to exceed this grip level and be lower in noise level.
Chetan, the P3ST will be superior to the NCT5 in every way possible. NCT5s are a really old model of Goodyear whereas the P3ST is the very latest from Michelin. Lot of advancements and developments keep happening in tyre tech and I am sure the P3ST will be leagues ahead of the NCT5.

My experience with Michelin has been fantastic. I've probably used up about 6 to 7 full sets of Michelin tyres on various cars ranging from XM1 to Primacy LC to Pilot Sport3. On the other hand, like Akshay, I too have sworn never to buy Goodyear tyres again. Of all brands this is one brand that makes some really bad tyres. I've have terrible experience with their GPSII tyres on 2 cars. Once I even bought their performance tyre called Eagle F1. That's possibly the worst tyre I have used till date. I had to throw them out after 7,000 kms. I could not hear my own thoughts. They were that loud.

The P3ST is a very good all round tyre. If I were you, I'd go for them with my eyes closed.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:44   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Chetan, the P3ST will be superior to the NCT5 in every way possible. NCT5s are a really old model of Goodyear whereas the P3ST is the very latest from Michelin. Lot of advancements and developments keep happening in tyre tech and I am sure the P3ST will be leagues ahead of the NCT5.
Thanks Santosh. You have hit the nail on the head!

My decision on the tyre is full and final. Come what may, I will go with P3ST.

Can you suggest any tyre shop in Bangalore who is fairly good in service and competitive in pricing? Any suggestion on Snapdeal for tyres?
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:50   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am thinking "why not try this?" - Snapdeal has a cash on delivery option also. They provide Installation at additional cost. What do you suggest? Do you foresee any issues with warranty?
The Snapdeal prices sound too good to be true! I don't see a reason how the COD system can go bad. If you find the month and year of manufacturing of the tires you've received to be from a really older lot, you can deny them payment and return the tires, can't you?

Although Michelin hasn't explicitly mentioned Snapdeal, they have put up this disclaimer:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-disclaimer_large.jpg

In the rare case, the tire goes bad, you may not be able to claim warranty if that disclaimer is anything to go by. Have you claimed warranty for tires before?

On a related note, I'll be switching to P3ST for my GT this month end.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:44   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Can you suggest any tyre shop in Bangalore who is fairly good in service and competitive in pricing? Any suggestion on Snapdeal for tyres?
I go to Pitstop in Sanjaynagar as its close to my place. Also I am a regular there for my balancing and alignment needs. Madhus is a popular choice for Bangalore T BHPians. Haven't yet tried snapdeal for tyres so can't really comment.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:17   #142
BHPian

Quote:

I was in the same dilema and you cleared every mm of it. thanks. my choice too is P3ST for my jetta.

but please confirm if you are getting a tyre manufactured in 2015. My search for P3ST is still on till i find tyres manufactured in 2015. Most of the dealers are having 2014 stock only and that too June-2014. I even asked for some discount on 2014 tyre and they dont offer a single penny for michelin and many suggest to go for Pirelli, which also have same performance but little more noisy than P3ST. Best quote i got in ahmedabad is 9550/- per tyre.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:38   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
I was in the same dilema and you cleared every mm of it. thanks. my choice too is P3ST for my jetta.

but please confirm if you are getting a tyre manufactured in 2015. My search for P3ST is still on till i find tyres manufactured in 2015. Most of the dealers are having 2014 stock only and that too June-2014. I even asked for some discount on 2014 tyre and they dont offer a single penny for michelin and many suggest to go for Pirelli, which also have same performance but little more noisy than P3ST. Best quote i got in ahmedabad is 9550/- per tyre.
Best quote I have received in Bangalore (Madhus) is Rs.9,800 per tyre + Balancing / Alignment. I have not checked the manufacturing date yet, but even June 2014 should be fine IMHO. Pirelli P7 (If that is what they suggest) has softer side wall; T-BHP member Iliketurtles has experience on these tyres. You can go through his ownership thread.
Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

Snapdeal says that the vender quoting 32k for a set, does not ship to Bangalore. Therefore, their cost for a set is about 36k. :(

Still trying to shop around, as I am not in a hurry..
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:02   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Very honestly, even 2014 manufactured is fine. I've been told by someone senior in Michelin that the tyres have a shelf life of a couple of years.

Chethan - Well that's what we've been saying from the beginning that the Michelins will be better than the NCT5s in every conceivable manner. Also snapdeal seems to offer good prices on tyres, and I see no harm in buying from there. Either way, even with warranty getting a replacement tyre in case of anything never happens.

Another option is Madhus, which is owned by a bhpian. You can try them for prices.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:30   #145
BHPian

Chethan, i have just put (about 800kms done) 225/55/16 P3ST on my Laura and was able to get February manufactured tyres (0815). By far the best tyres i have used on the Laura. I rate them higher than the v550 i previously had even on the comfort and silence aspect.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:04   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chethan - Well that's what we've been saying from the beginning that the Michelins will be better than the NCT5s in every conceivable manner. Also snapdeal seems to offer good prices on tyres, and I see no harm in buying from there. Either way, even with warranty getting a replacement tyre in case of anything never happens.

Another option is Madhus, which is owned by a bhpian. You can try them for prices.
Akshay I agree. It is not that I did not respect your views. I am a person who has never used Michelin before, on my cars (Jetta is my 5th). Most of the issues I had heard about these tyres were of side wall damage. Since my usage is also in rural parts of Karnataka, I was worried; Sometimes practicality takes the front seat. Even now, I am keeping my fingers crossed. May be, I need to experience Michelin myself - But I have decided to do it.

Edit: Roads have now improved from olden days + Tyre technology has also evolved + Tyre company's have started taking India seriously and started designing tyres to suit our needs..

When I changed from Spark to Polo, I was wondering why people complained about Polo's lack of power. For me, Spark to Polo was an upgrade, even in terms of Power. It is just that sometimes we see things from different angles.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 3rd July 2015 at 14:09.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 16:00   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With 215s, you will get slightly better ride but then the body roll will be a bit more on turns, etc so not that enjoyable...
Hi Akshay, I was considering 225/50/16 as my next upgrade from the stock 205/55/16 (still lot of time to the upgrade though). You mention 215s will have higher body roll. Would the body roll in 225s be more than 215s? My main objective for upsizing is grip, and cornering stability. Would 225 gain on grip and straightline stability but lose on cornering? How would this upsize affect fuel economy? A 10% drop would not be a problem. Anything more may be a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Chethan, i have just put (about 800kms done) 225/55/16 P3ST on my Laura and was able to get February manufactured tyres (0815). By far the best tyres i have used on the Laura. I rate them higher than the v550 i previously had even on the comfort and silence aspect.

Rohan
Hi Rohan, I guess you are using 225/50/16. How is the body roll and cornering stability compared to the stock 205/55/16. Also have you noticed any significant drop in fuel economy?
Old 3rd July 2015, 16:21   #148
Senior - BHPian

First of all, belated congratulations on your Jetta. Although I have never bought a VW, I have always liked the designs of VW in Polo, Vento, and Jetta. Much neater and symmetrical, and completely to my liking.

Why does Jetta sell a 1.4 L petrol (is this correct info). Perhaps diesel is their forte and petrol an afterthought.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 17:40   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but please confirm if you are getting a tyre manufactured in 2015. My search for P3ST is still on till i find tyres manufactured in 2015. Most of the dealers are having 2014 stock only and that too June-2014.
Usually tyre rubber compound holds good for about 5 years, if not worn out. New tyres needs to be stored appropriately, to increase shelf life.

In my case, I will be clocking roughly about 20K Kms per year. Which means, I will have to change tyres every 3rd year. Therefore a new tyre which is up to 2 year old, will not create an issue.

If I were to clock only 10K Kms in a year, I would have preferred not more than 6 months old tyre. That way, it would be safer to use the tyre till the thread lasts.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-tyre-life.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Snapdeal prices sound too good to be true! I don't see a reason how the COD system can go bad. If you find the month and year of manufacturing of the tires you've received to be from a really older lot, you can deny them payment and return the tires, can't you?

Although Michelin hasn't explicitly mentioned Snapdeal, they have put up this disclaimer:

Have you claimed warranty for tires before?
You are right! - Rs.32K is not valid for Karnataka delivery. May be taxation issue?

I did not have to claim warranty for tyres any time before.

Snap deal has COD and TrustPay facility. (Link:http://www.snapdeal.com/info/TrustPay)

I should be able to return without paying, if something goes wrong. Also, I posted a question on warranty and I got a reply. I am almost settled on Snapdeal, unless I get a better deal locally..

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-snapdeal-michelin-wrranty.png
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-tyre-mfg-date.png
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-tyre-installation.png
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:12   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi Rohan, I guess you are using 225/50/16. How is the body roll and cornering stability compared to the stock 205/55/16. Also have you noticed any significant drop in fuel economy?
Hey, i moved from 205/60/15 to 225/55/16.

The reason i went for 225/55 is that i wanted to retain the extra sidewall height specially in view of the fact that the car is getting Bilstein B6 and H&R springs (tomorrow most probably). I use the Laura for my outstation drives so i felt this was the perfect setup for my needs. Plus the error was only 3% on the upgrade.

As far as handling goes, i have not experienced any body roll (i drive very sedately on streets) and for some reason not too much tyre spin on fast launches (tried on a private road). Best part: zilch drop on fuel economy so far. Still getting 13-14kmpl in city traffic.

Will share more updates post the suspension upgrade!

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks