Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2015, 01:46   #241
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Now on Bilsteins & Pete's Tuned!

The screen dispplay shows average FE as 20.5 km/l but tankful method you have written as 17 km/l for 850km.
Is there such a huge difference in the digital calculation and manual one or am I missing something here?
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 02:00   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
The screen dispplay shows average FE as 20.5 km/l but tankful method you have written as 17 km/l for 850km.
Is there such a huge difference in the digital calculation and manual one or am I missing something here?
AFAIK, This much difference is normal, In all the cars i mean, Fuel Average on the MID is just for a rough reference.

@ Chetan, Some in gear acceleration videos please? 0 - 100 also would be highly appreciated

Edit : Any chance you have planned to install a ESP off switch?

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 16th September 2015 at 02:24.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 03:27   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
+1 to Tanveer.

This is normal. The MID slightly over-estimates the fuel economy number. I consistently see 2 to 2.5 kmpl difference between the MID value and tank full method in my Jetta as well.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 07:52   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
AFAIK, This much difference is normal, In all the cars i mean, Fuel Average on the MID is just for a rough reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1 to Tanveer.

This is normal. The MID slightly over-estimates the fuel economy number. I consistently see 2 to 2.5 kmpl difference between the MID value and tank full method in my Jetta as well.
1. 20.5 KMPL on the MFD is only on the highway between Bangalore and Mangalore. This includes the ghat section, but does not include city drive.

2. 17 KMPL is for the entire trip which includes city drive in Bangalore, Mangalore and Chikmagalur. It is practically Home - to - Home.

3. ODO has an error of about 5%. I am trying to reduce this by adjusting " Distance Impulse number " on the VCDS. I could not check it yesterday as it was cloudy (I use my GPS to know the actual speed - GPS can not pick up signals quickly, when it is cloudy).

4. MFD is always a bit enthusiastic on FE - to the tune of 10%. This will reduce, once speedo is corrected.

215/55/R16 profile would have corrected all this, once and for all.

Quote:
@ Chetan, Some in gear acceleration videos please? 0 - 100 also would be highly appreciated.
I will definitely do so Tanveer. Can you suggest some ways to take the video? Right now, I am alone as my daughter is busy with exams.

A VBox would have helped. I do not know where to get one.

DYNO is also planned. There is only one dyno in Bangalore @ Racedynamics and that is under repair. I am in touch with them and it may take 15 days to get ready.

Quote:
Edit : Any chance you have planned to install a ESP off switch?
I have not thought of ESP - What are the advantages of switching it off?

Last edited by Chethan B G : 16th September 2015 at 07:54.
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 11:50   #245
BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Adi,
  1. Wiper arm on the Jetta is 19mm.
  2. Model I purchased: Trico 25-190 Force High Performance Beam Blade.
  3. Length: 19 inches & 24 inches - In total costed me $38 plus shipping.

This wiper comes with adopters using which it can be fitted on most vehicles. Installation is very simple and straight forward. I have attached the instruction sheet below for your reference. For Jetta & Octavia, wiper arm-width should be the same.
Hi Chethan - Are you happy with the Trico wiper blades so far? I am planning to order them from Amazon. Please share your experience so far. Thanks.

There are very few options available in India (Hella or other not so well known brands) so I think ordering from US seems to be the best way if you want good quality blades.
Old 16th September 2015, 18:34   #246
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Hi Chethan - Are you happy with the Trico wiper blades so far? I am planning to order them from Amazon. Please share your experience so far. Thanks.
Hi MandarMax,

My experience with Trico wiper is satisfactory.

One problem I faced was with the packing - RHS wiper rubber was slightly pinched - Water film does not get cleared in that area. Also, shipping is expensive - Try to pool one more person and order together, to get the advantage.

My issue with the stock wiper was with the noise and that is sorted out.

Hope this helps.
Old 17th September 2015, 13:23   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will definitely do so Tanveer. Can you suggest some ways to take the video? Right now, I am alone as my daughter is busy with exams.

A VBox would have helped. I do not know where to get one.

DYNO is also planned. There is only one dyno in Bangalore @ Racedynamics and that is under repair. I am in touch with them and it may take 15 days to get ready.

I have not thought of ESP - What are the advantages of switching it off?

A really quick fix would be if you have a small digicam, You can use a long rubber band to keep it steady right above the steering wheel, just keep the digicam above the steering wheel and wrap the rubber band around the steering, But i feel a passenger using a selfie stick would also be okay!

About the ESP off switch, No real advantages, Except just to see how the car launches after switching off ESP/ASR, Since even in the stock 140bhp, Gunning the car in the first and second gear, There is quite a bit of power cut due to it, Also if you drive around beaches it would be useful.
The switch costs roughly around 1.2k on aliexpress, Installation method is too pretty straight forward, Apart for the coding in the ABS control module which i am not sure of. 2014+ models require coding.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 18:08   #248
Senior - BHPian

VCDS Adaptations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Chetan, what are the black switches on the roof panel?
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6777.jpg

Quote:

I have found some information in a separate manual provided for Mobile Telephony. It says like this:

3 button module in the roof: Telephone controls
  • Switch marked as "exclamatory mark" (press and hold for 2 sec to activate) - Information on value added services such as traffic & travel
  • Switch marked as "Screw driver symbol" (press and hold for 2 sec to activate) - Breakdown assistance
  • Switch marked as "Star" (press to activate / deactivate) - Voice control activate / deactivate

Checked First Switch - Dials 008008655792436
Checked Second Switch - Dials 00800897378424
Checked Third Switch - Voice control prompt does not come on - I need to recheck (not sure if this works only on RNS510).
Quote:
Following VCDS updates are planned after remap:

Roof buttons numbers to be changed. (If possible)
Information - 008008655792436 - To be changed to 1800 102 0909
Service - 00800897378424 - To be changed to 1800 209 0909
Finally succeeded to adapt this change through VCDS!! This has given me tremendous satisfaction!!

This option is available in "Telephone" -- Adaptations. Now, "Service" switch dials VW Mysore service center and "Info" switch dials my Wife's mobile number.

Another important VCDS adaptation I could carry out, is to switch DRL ON/OFF through MFD!! This is very useful option, as I can turn on DRL as and when I require!

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-drl-mfd.jpg

Right now, I am desperately trying to activate Indirect TPMS but have not been successful. I have following ABS module with 7K0 option. I am trying to activate 7K6 without success.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 BL HW: 1K0 907 379 BL
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H31 0152
Revision: 00H31001
Coding: A63B40F8092700FA651002E6901A0082211800
Shop #: WSC 00047 123 12345
VCID: 7DF11F7FE404B5F6FF5-8028

No fault code found.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VW TPMS options:

7K0 = Without tire pressure warning light
7K1 = Tire pressure warning light
7K2 = Tire pressure control system, direct measurement
7K3 = Tire pressure control, frequency 433 MHzhigh level version
7K4 = Tire pressure control, frequency 315 MHzhigh level version
7K5 = Tire pressure control, frequency 315 MHzwith reduced transmitting power
7K6 = Flat tire indicator

I have a MFD Plus Instrument panel - This is confirmed. But I am not able to get the TPMS light on the panel after activating TPMS in ABS Brakes (Byte 16) and instruments (Byte 2). Worst part is that the changed bit does not even save after confirmation.

I tried activating TPMS in CAN Gateway. If I do this, TPMS light comes-on in the instrument panel, but CAN Gateway throws an error.

@ Gannu_1 - Can you please help and show me some light... ? Please!!!
Old 27th September 2015, 18:47   #249
Senior - BHPian

You might need to replace the rear abs sensors to get TPMS. They need to be Passat spec. We did that in a friends 2011 Jetta.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 19:45   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
You might need to replace the rear abs sensors to get TPMS. They need to be Passat spec. We did that in a friends 2011 Jetta.
Which we are going to do probably by next weekend

@chetan, My jetta had the DRL ON/OFF through MFD since day one, Also i have activated bluetooth chime, Everytime your phone is connected to the car, It will make a chime to make you notified, Have you done it too? Any other interesting thing you have found?

I will also do the needed changes for the service buttons.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 27th September 2015 at 19:51.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 22:34   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Quote:
Which we are going to do probably by next weekend
This is confusing. I some how feel that there should be a way to activate TPMS since we have ESP MK60EC1 module.

Please check this link: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...7k6-50164.html

By the way, how much will the ABS sensors cost? Is it worth investing?

Quote:
@chetan, My jetta had the DRL ON/OFF through MFD since day one, Also i have activated bluetooth chime, Everytime your phone is connected to the car, It will make a chime to make you notified, Have you done it too? Any other interesting thing you have found?
That is interesting! Never thought DRL could be turned off!!

I have not tried the BT-Chime. Will do it.

I am currently experimenting on the "Instruments - Adaptation - Consumption correction".

Also trying (Not yet successful) to adapt the following:

1. Automatically close windows when locking doors.

2. Easy entry/moves the driver seat backwards after removing the ignition key, and move it forwards when you stick it inside the ignition.

Will update soon!!
Old 27th September 2015, 22:56   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is confusing. I some how feel that there should be a way to activate TPMS since we have ESP MK60EC1 module.

Please check this link: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...7k6-50164.html

By the way, how much will the ABS sensors cost? Is it worth investing?

That is interesting! Never thought DRL could be turned off!!

I have not tried the BT-Chime. Will do it.

I am currently experimenting on the "Instruments - Adaptation - Consumption correction".

Also trying (Not yet successful) to adapt the following:

1. Automatically close windows when locking doors.

2. Easy entry/moves the driver seat backwards after removing the ignition key, and move it forwards when you stick it inside the ignition.

Will update soon!!

I Have gone through many such links actually, Did everything step by step, Even got a Tire pressure reset setting on the MFD, But it won't work, It would throw up 3 fault codes and the TPMS light would be always on.

I am getting the Self parking kit PLA 2.0, which comes with the upgraded ABS sensors, Last week i checked aliexpress ABS sensors were available for 3k for a pair.

I really feel the need of a TPMS.

Also, I don't think Easy entry would work, Since it would require the memory function in the seat to come back to the original position, Still i am too trying for the same if its possible,

I have activated/Tweaked this many things until now,

Needle sweep/Indicator celebration
Lane change blinkers to 5
Activate fog lamps while engaging reverse gear
Refuel information on MID
Rain closing, Option to check/Uncheck on MID as well.
TSC to strong
Bluetooth connection chime
DSR High
Brake booster Active
Lock/Unlock confirmation Via Horn, Option to check/Uncheck on MID as well.
Fog lamps active while reverse gear engaged
Dynamic cornering lights active when reverse gear engaged
Fog lamp active when turning the steering to the right or left
Emergency brake flashing
DRL stays ON even when turn indicators active

I think this was all of it, I am too trying to find more.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 00:50   #253
Senior - BHPian

VCDS Adaptation update: Finally I could crack down indirect TPMS (Flat Tyre Indicator) through the VCDS!!

While working on the subject, I stumbled upon the idea that the problem could be with the activation / synchronization between the CAN Gateway & ABS module; Also had a doubt that the Instrument cluster could have a CAP on the maximum amount of information it can display. I may be totally wrong here, but this is how I proceeded.

1. De-activated unwanted things like, Instantaneous FE and Fuel refill quantity from the MFD through VCDS Instruments adaptation.

2. Scanned through CAN Gateway Long-Coding and visited Byte 3 (which is not available in my car (!), but available for Indirect TPMS activation in some international Jetta's).

3. Activated TPMS light on the cluster through Instruments - Long Coding - Byte 2.

4. Activated TPMS PR-7K6 in ABS Brakes - Byte 16.

5. Reset TPMS through ABS Controller - Basic settings - Group 042.

After this, I was ready to go!! I could see momentary TPMS light on the cluster when the ignition was turned ON!! BINGO!!!!

VCDS scan file after activating TPMS:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-tpms-settings.jpg

Drove the car for about 120 Kms on both city and highway roads. This is necessary as the ECU has to learn & adapt to the TPMS. There-after, thought of checking if the TPMS really works (!). I deflated LHS back tyre for about 7 Psi and started driving; After 4/5 Kms, TPMS error came ON and I was delighted!!

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-tpms-error-pic.jpg

Drove to a tyre shop and refilled nitrogen in the LHS back tyre. After that, reset TPMS through VCDS (step 5 above) - Error light vanished!

VCDS scan file with TPMS error:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-tpms-error.jpg

After resetting the TPMS each time, one has to run the car for about 100 Kms. This is necessary for the ECU to adapt and the TPMS to work.

I do not know the minimum difference in pressure the ABS module can detect. But since it takes a long time to detect, IMO it can be best used within city limits. A sudden deflation may trigger the system faster? I can only hope so.
Chethan B G is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 06:30   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
VCDS Adaptation update: Finally I could crack down indirect TPMS (Flat Tyre Indicator) through the VCDS!!
Awesome hack, Chethan.

The only inconvenience is every time a TPMS error occurs, you have to connect the VCDS cable to reset this. Have you considered installing a TPMS reset switch like this? This just requires a wire to be plugged into a terminal in the ECU connector.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-tpms-switch.jpg

Link to an example product page.
Old 30th September 2015, 08:11   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Awesome hack, Chethan.

The only inconvenience is every time a TPMS error occurs, you have to connect the VCDS cable to reset this. Have you considered installing a TPMS reset switch like this? This just requires a wire to be plugged into a terminal in the ECU connector.
Thanks Graaja!

I have purchased a kit from ebay - Link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Tire-Pre...item2a407bfa33

I am not sure if the switch goes inside the glove compartment or near the gear stick. Right place is important, as the cable length might be just enough. Also, I am not sure about the procedure. Can you help with some ideas?

Most Viewed