Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:43   #31
BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Chethan. Many congratulations! I don't know how I missed this thread. I recall that it was your early adoption of the Polo TDI that gave me the courage also to buy one. All the best.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:54   #32
BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Congratulations Chetan!!!! That's an envious ride you have.
2 questions:
1. can the GPS not be connected to the car's MID?
2. How come you can get 3M sun screen on the vehicle, now that the court ruling says nil films on car?

Thanks.
M.
00nuts001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:43   #33
BHPian

Congrats Chethan on the new car! The Jetta looks beautiful in white colour.
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:40   #34
BHPian

Congratulations Chetan on your new ride. The car looks cool in white . Wishing you thousands of happy and safe mile on this car.

Cheers
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Chethan. Many congratulations! I don't know how I missed this thread. I recall that it was your early adoption of the Polo TDI that gave me the courage also to buy one. All the best.
Thanks NevGin! Nice to see you back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00nuts001 View Post
Congratulations Chetan!!!! That's an envious ride you have.
2 questions:
1. can the GPS not be connected to the car's MID?
2. How come you can get 3M sun screen on the vehicle, now that the court ruling says nil films on car?

Thanks.
M.
Thanks!

1. Garmin GPS does not comply with CAN-BUS.
2. 3M sun film with 70% visibility protects us from UV rays and is hardly visible. There is still doubt if this is admissible or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Congrats Chethan on the new car! The Jetta looks beautiful in white colour.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Congratulations Chetan on your new ride. The car looks cool in white . Wishing you thousands of happy and safe mile on this car.

Cheers
Thanks!
Old 24th September 2013, 07:17   #36
BHPian

Congrats on your upgrade! A good upgrade indeed. The leatherette seats do good - I have similar factory-fitted seats on my Vento - never had an issue. I am surprised that even Jetta HL has no ACC! What stock tyres does Jetta come with ? Do you find cruise control useful in our driving conditions ?
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 10:43   #37
BHPian

Congrats Chethan on the Jetta. The car looks stately in white.

Any reason for not stretching that wee bit extra and getting the brilliant DSG? Would've been real handy in that dreadful traffic of the Garden City.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 14:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
Congrats on your upgrade! A good upgrade indeed. The leatherette seats do good - I have similar factory-fitted seats on my Vento - never had an issue. I am surprised that even Jetta HL has no ACC! What stock tyres does Jetta come with ? Do you find cruise control useful in our driving conditions ?
Thanks!

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_67171.jpg

Cruise control is useful on open roads. It was not usable on Bangalore-Mysore road, but was useful on Bangalore-Chitradurga road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Congrats Chethan on the Jetta. The car looks stately in white.

Any reason for not stretching that wee bit extra and getting the brilliant DSG? Would've been real handy in that dreadful traffic of the Garden City.
Thanks!

If the DSG had been coupled with Auto Start-Stop feature, it would be really good and I would have considered. I did not prefer a DSG for a few reasons:

DSG is boring to drive except in B2B traffic.
MT gives more option and driving thrill.
Once we get used to DSG, driving MT becomes cumbersome. (Nitpicking?)
DSG is expensive to own / maintain - Resale value is less.
DSG without Auto Start-Stop feature, will reduce FE.

May-be a decade later, MT's may become redundant. I am waiting for that ..
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 01:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Driving Impressions: ODO @ 1200 Kms

Extremely smooth engine - As good as butter! Idles at 800 RPM. Sufficient torque is available right from the start. Turbo-Lag is not felt, unless the gear engaged is an overdrive. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are good enough for the city. 4th, 5th and 6th gears are overdrives. 4th gear can occasionally be used in the city and 6th is difficult to use even on highways, while in high traffic.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-2_0_cr_tdi_torque_power.jpg

Being a Diesel engine, up-shifting is best at about 2500-3000 RPM. Avg FE looks good @ 19+ Kmpl in 6th gear, at around 1800-2000 RPM. Best FE I could manage within city is 12 Kmpl and worst is 9 Kmpl - Both with AC.

Cruise control: Good to use & Easy to set - Set speed can be increased / decreased. After applying clutch / break, control can be re-activated with a single touch.

Hill-Hold function: Automatically activates breaks for 2 secs, when the car starts to move on an incline, in 1st gear - helping us to move the car without using hand-breaks.

On the flip side, this feature fouls and stalls the engine at times. For example: While approaching road humps, if we completely stop and try to proceed in the 1st gear without accelerating, as in a normal Diesel engine, hill-hold comes in to effect and the engine stalls. This can be irritating at times - I would prefer a manual to be a REAL manual in all terms, to avoid confusion.

Tyres: Good-Year Eagle NCT 5 - 205 / 55R16 91V : Grip level is good on normal conditions, but looses traction under hard acceleration - Tyre noise needs to assessed as they age.

Brakes: Excellent feel and bite - Confidence inspiring at any speed.

Steering feel: Steering feels light at low speed and weighs up well at higher speed. Feedback is average and can definitely improve with better griping tyres.

Straight line stability is awesome and body roll is very well controlled. High speed ride is almost flat - Very hard to gauge the speed of the car from inside the cabin. Activating speed warning is highly essential.

Suspensions are extremely well tuned for Indian roads conditions - They feel strong and well built too.

Head light and Fog lamps have sufficient brightness, spread and throw - Very comfortable to drive at night.

Wiper blades are very basic - Polo's were better. I badly miss the rear wiper.

In-Cabin insulation: Wind, road noise and engine NVH is well insulated.

There is a slight noise coming from the driver side door. I have to get this checked. Other than this the ownership experience until now is absolutely event-less.
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 03:30   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

The hill-hold might well be great in an auto, but it sounds useless with the manual: can it be turned off?

Quote:
I badly miss the rear wiper.
This is an international design tradition: hatchbacks get a rear wiper, saloons don't. I always miss it when driving a saloon too.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 07:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Thanks! Cruise control is useful on open roads. It was not usable on Bangalore-Mysore road, but was useful on Bangalore-Chitradurga road. Thanks! If the DSG had been coupled with Auto Start-Stop feature, it would be really good and I would have considered. I did not prefer a DSG for a few reasons: DSG is boring to drive except in B2B traffic. MT gives more option and driving thrill. Once we get used to DSG, driving MT becomes cumbersome. (Nitpicking?) DSG is expensive to own / maintain - Resale value is less. DSG without Auto Start-Stop feature, will reduce FE. May-be a decade later, MT's may become redundant. I am waiting for that ..
Hi Chetan,

Congrats on such a sweet ride! White suits the car big time. I have heard that by November 2 more features are being added to the Jetta before the facelift is introduced in India any idea on that ?

Also could you please let me know how the DSG could be an expensive box to maintain, what I know is a oil change is required once in a while and that's about it
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 09:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The hill-hold might well be great in an auto, but it sounds useless with the manual: can it be turned off?
I agree. It is best suited for an AT. An AT with Paddle shift, Hill-hold and auto engine off/on - Is an excellent combination. Excessive Idling in B2B traffic, is the major reason for bad FE, from a large engine. Auto engine off/on feature, eliminates this and improves FE.

It would have been ideal to have a switch, to activate Hill-hold feature. Unfortunately, there is none. MID controls, focus on features related to comfort / conveniences - Not on engine / safety related parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is an international design tradition: hatchbacks get a rear wiper, saloons don't. I always miss it when driving a saloon too.
Rear glass gets dirty on both hatchbacks and saloons. I do not understand the differentiation. Even water droplets on a rainy day, hampers visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Hi Chetan,

Congrats on such a sweet ride! White suits the car big time. I have heard that by November 2 more features are being added to the Jetta before the facelift is introduced in India any idea on that ?
Thanks!

I have not heard of any features being added. But I think ACC, Leather seats & memory for driver seats, are some of the basic features left-out. This could well be accommodated in stages. Also, as per the news, a price hike is expected, due to rupee de-valuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Also could you please let me know how the DSG could be an expensive box to maintain, what I know is a oil change is required once in a while and that's about it
DSG is definitely nice to have feature. It depends on what one needs / likes.

In my case, my plan was to buy a comfortline MT, since I was not looking at an AT: I stretched by about 1.5L to buy a Highline. AT would have forced me to stretch by another lakh, which would have made it difficult. I did not even think about it.

To answer your question: MT is a tried and tested design. DSG is a new thing in the market. Failure rates are a bit more - But when used responsibly, there is no cause for concern. Clutch replacement is expensive (double), since it uses dual-clutch. Resale value dips for a DSG-AT, since people generally suspect higher maintenance cost associated with AT's - Common janatha will not know the technical difference between dry / wet clutch.

But, as I mentioned earlier, DSG is the way to go forward. Time will make it more reliable and common. May-be, car after I retire, will be with a DSG.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 09:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

With the imminent launch of the Octavia early next month, how do you feel the Jetta will hold ground? Can we have a discussion around this - what are the aspects where the Jetta could trounce the Octy or vice versa.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I agree. It is best suited for an AT. An AT with Paddle shift, Hill-hold and auto engine off/on - Is an excellent combination. Excessive Idling in B2B traffic, is the major reason for bad FE, from a large engine. Auto engine off/on feature, eliminates this and improves FE. It would have been ideal to have a switch, to activate Hill-hold feature. Unfortunately, there is none. MID controls, focus on features related to comfort / conveniences - Not on engine / safety related parameters. Rear glass gets dirty on both hatchbacks and saloons. I do not understand the differentiation. Even water droplets on a rainy day, hampers visibility. Thanks! I have not heard of any features being added. But I think ACC, Leather seats & memory for driver seats, are some of the basic features left-out. This could well be accommodated in stages. Also, as per the news, a price hike is expected, due to rupee de-valuation. DSG is definitely nice to have feature. It depends on what one needs / likes. In my case, my plan was to buy a comfortline MT, since I was not looking at an AT: I stretched by about 1.5L to buy a Highline. AT would have forced me to stretch by another lakh, which would have made it difficult. I did not even think about it. To answer your question: MT is a tried and tested design. DSG is a new thing in the market. Failure rates are a bit more - But when used responsibly, there is no cause for concern. Clutch replacement is expensive (double), since it uses dual-clutch. Resale value dips for a DSG-AT, since people generally suspect higher maintenance cost associated with AT's - Common janatha will not know the technical difference between dry / wet clutch. But, as I mentioned earlier, DSG is the way to go forward. Time will make it more reliable and common. May-be, car after I retire, will be with a DSG.

Off late I have not come across any thread on such DSG issues , I don't think such issues arise unless the car was beaten bad for a time span of 5 years. I have also heard 6speed DSG like that of the jetta is more reliable than the 7 speed. I have no idea or experience on DSG's so trying to gather as much as I can

And yes I heard there will about 30,000 price hike for the jetta
Old 25th September 2013, 11:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
With the imminent launch of the Octavia early next month, how do you feel the Jetta will hold ground? Can we have a discussion around this - what are the aspects where the Jetta could trounce the Octy or vice versa.
Hi Dinu,

Just a thought I had I would like to share

First thing is that skoda is price lower than the jetta so it would be cheaper to own than the jetta since the old Laura most of buyers preferred it than the jetta as it was more value for money, offering AT's on lower trims was another reason.

With the new Octavia the jetta might again take a hit, compared to the Laura Octavia has more features and would cost less than the jetta, one thing to notice is that jetta would be superior in terms of ride quality as the new Octavia had a lower spec suspension

Also the sales representatives from Hyderabad have told me that there was some session going on for them on jetta so may be we can expect something new so as to beat the competition. However I'm only expecting the introduction of extended warranty. The recent august report on the t-bhp also show marginal sales for the jetta so it's a tough call. According to me I feel the Octavia will definitely do better than the jetta. Also the Octavia structure look exactly like than of the jetta.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks