Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 12:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

I have my doubts whether the new Octy will be priced lower than Jetta. The 1.4 TSI might undercut the Jetta but the other variants will be priced higher. I know its against the norm, but I think this is inevitable
Old 25th September 2013, 20:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
With the imminent launch of the Octavia early next month, how do you feel the Jetta will hold ground? Can we have a discussion around this - what are the aspects where the Jetta could trounce the Octy or vice versa.
We can definitely discuss - But IMO, better after Octy is launched, so that we can see it in flesh and blood before passing comments / judgement.

However, there are 2 important things that comes to my mind, when ever I think of Skoda / Octy.

1. ASS - I have seen a close friend of mine suffer - He owns a Fabia. Skoda service is maligned by utter lack of honesty and integrity. This has been the case over a period of time, where-in customers have been taken for a ride. IMHO, only way Skoda can bring back confidence is by offering a "All inclusive maintenance package for 5 years" - Something like the BMW. Other wise, they can scream they have turned in-to saints over-night, but it is up to people to believe.

VW dealers, on the other hand can be termed as un-professional in handling complicated (?) cases. But I have not felt that they lack honesty. I am not saying that they are saints either - But I would prefer VW to Skoda for service, any day.

2. World wide, when we compare Spec to Spec, Skoda is priced lower than VW - It can't be any different in India. Opting out independent multi-link suspension for Diesel, was a big let-down for me. Remember, Octy was always regarded for it's dynamic abilities. If Gen-3 was to carry-on this legacy, one can not compromise on the car's under-pinning. This gives me an impression that Skoda is saving money to throw-in some feel-good features.

For Jetta, VW has euro-spec suspensions to take care of European roads (Eg: Autobahn) and American-spec suspensions for America, which is good enough for it's straight roads. This does not depend on Engine capacity or Power, but on roads it needs to serve. Jetta in India gets Euro-spec suspensions, for all variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Off late I have not come across any thread on such DSG issues , I don't think such issues arise unless the car was beaten bad for a time span of 5 years. I have also heard 6speed DSG like that of the jetta is more reliable than the 7 speed. I have no idea or experience on DSG's so trying to gather as much as I can

And yes I heard there will about 30,000 price hike for the jetta
IMHO, DSG is a very good option. Positives over-weigh negatives to a large extent. It boils down to an individual's requirement / taste. If you need it and like to have it, you should get it with your eyes closed. I simply did not have the convection - Therefore, I did not go for the same.

Quote:
Hi Dinu,

Just a thought I had I would like to share

First thing is that skoda is price lower than the jetta so it would be cheaper to own than the jetta since the old Laura most of buyers preferred it than the jetta as it was more value for money, offering AT's on lower trims was another reason.

With the new Octavia the jetta might again take a hit, compared to the Laura Octavia has more features and would cost less than the jetta, one thing to notice is that jetta would be superior in terms of ride quality as the new Octavia had a lower spec suspension

Also the sales representatives from Hyderabad have told me that there was some session going on for them on jetta so may be we can expect something new so as to beat the competition. However I'm only expecting the introduction of extended warranty. The recent august report on the t-bhp also show marginal sales for the jetta so it's a tough call. According to me I feel the Octavia will definitely do better than the jetta. Also the Octavia structure look exactly like than of the jetta.
Cost of Purchase + Cost of Ownership - Cost of resale = Our actual cost. This way, I think VW is a better bet any day. Octavia is definitely going to be a hit. It can do better than the Jetta. But, for me, it is Jetta all the way. I do not understand why extended warranty is not provided for Jetta...

Quote:
I have my doubts whether the new Octy will be priced lower than Jetta. The 1.4 TSI might undercut the Jetta but the other variants will be priced higher. I know its against the norm, but I think this is inevitable
Let us wait and watch. One of us will be surprised for sure!

No hard feelings please. I would have said some things bad about Skoda - But this is just my opinion, based on my analysis and facts. I will be happy if I am proved wrong! That way, I will have another option, next time around!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 25th September 2013 at 20:08. Reason: Reduced smilies...
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 20:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
No hard feelings please. I would have said some things bad about Skoda - But this is just my opinion, based on my analysis and facts. I will be happy if I am proved wrong! That way, I will have another option, next time around!
Why hard feelings? I neither have a VW or a Skoda nor planning on buying one, just curious to know the pricing strategy.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 01:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

We had been on a long drive to Kanva Reservoir, which is about 70 Kms from Bangalore - Reservoir was almost empty, in-spite of heavy rain this year.

Revved the engine to red line a couple of times. Engine is very smooth and absolutely revv happy.

Some pictures taken along the way and at the reservoir:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6884.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6886.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6896.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6897.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6908.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6930.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6937.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6957.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6963.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6970.jpg

Breathable leatherette - These artificially created pores, help keep the seat cool during summer.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-1.jpg
Chethan B G is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 12:35   #50
BHPian

Quote:
We had been on a long drive to Kanva Reservoir, which is about 70 Kms from Bangalore - Reservoir was almost empty, in-spite of heavy rain this year. Revved the engine to red line a couple of times. Engine is very smooth and absolutely revv happy. Some pictures taken along the way and at the reservoir: Breathable leatherette - These artificially created pores, help keep the seat cool during summer.
I have been on a similar drive with my friend. I know the feeling dde01 The car looks real elegant in white! The rear quater angle looks very rich! I have been waiting since a long time to go with the jetta, but still could not book the car. And yet a delay again, now I hope the 2014 model is not the MQB platform one and hope something new comes with the car next year. And praying VW shall not change the gorgeous alloy wheel design

Last edited by Amarendranath : 5th October 2013 at 12:38.
Amarendranath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 14:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are very much right.

Will be interesting to see Jetta 2014, once the new kits come.

Sorry, if I have sounded a bit harsh - I really did not mean it.

Quote:
I have been on a similar drive with my friend. I know the feeling dde01 The car looks real elegant in white! The rear quater angle looks very rich! I have been waiting since a long time to go with the jetta, but still could not book the car. And yet a delay again, now I hope the 2014 model is not the MQB platform one and hope something new comes with the car next year. And praying VW shall not change the gorgeous alloy wheel design
Looks like some HL's are available in dealers stock. Go for it if you like...

Head lights, even though not HID, looks very elegant..
Old 5th October 2013, 14:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are very much right.
Will be interesting to see Jetta 2014, once the new kits come.
Sorry, if I have sounded a bit harsh - I really did not mean it.
Harsh??? I never felt so. In fact, I was feeling a bit bad that I possibly hijacked your thread into this Octy discussion. My feeling is that when the new Jetta is launched with enhanced features to match the Octy, they will jack up the price by a lakh and maintain the norm of keeping the Jetta priced slightly higher than the Octy.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 14:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harsh??? I never felt so. In fact, I was feeling a bit bad that I possibly hijacked your thread into this Octy discussion. My feeling is that when the new Jetta is launched with enhanced features to match the Octy, they will jack up the price by a lakh and maintain the norm of keeping the Jetta priced slightly higher than the Octy.
Thanks for not mis-understanding! And no problem at all, any discussion is welcome.

I am planning to visit a Skoda dealer this week-end for a test drive, if possible. Mean-while, you are welcome to post your detailed views on the two.

I got my PR done day before yesterday. I will get my Registration number today evening. Will post a detailed report tomorrow.
Old 6th October 2013, 16:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Received NCB Certificate from United India Insurance – Entitled for 50% Bonus, which can be availed with-in 3 years.

Permanent registration process:

Documents required:
  • Address Proof (Copy of Pass Port / Ration card / Voter ID / BSNL Telephone bill / LIC Policy….Etc)
  • Pan Card Copy
  • Recent Photo – 3 numbers
  • DD for Road Tax - in favor of “RTO BANGALORE”.
  • Form 14 (http://rto.kar.nic.in/kmvt-14.pdf)
  • Tax Invoice (From Dealer)
  • Form 19 (Temporary registration certificate, if applicable – From Dealer)
  • Form 20 (Application for PR - http://www.karunadu.gov.in/e-forms/D...rm20-CMV20.pdf)
  • Take pencil impression of chassis # on form 20.
  • Form 21 (Sale certificate – From Dealer)
  • Form 22 (Road Worthiness Certificate – From Dealer)

Fees:
  • Temporary registration fees: Rs.200
  • Smart Card fees: Rs.200
  • Optional - Hypothecation fees: Rs.100/150
  • Optional – Number selection – Rs. 20,000 (Selection available from the next 100 numbers in the series)
  • Optional – Premium Number – Rs. 75,000

Procedure is very simple: Start early in the morning - Complete all necessary documentation – Use a paper file & arrange documents in order – Get the documents verified at the counter – Pay fees & hand over the DD – Get the vehicle inspected – Submit the documents. The whole process takes 2 hours to complete. Registration number will be conveyed over telephone, by the end of the day!

System is clean - No need to bribe. I did not opt for any special number – But was lucky to be allotted a nice number – KA51 ME5111.

I have saved a minimum of Rs.10,000 by registering the car myself. With this, all commercial formalities are completed.

Driving impressions: ODO @ 2000 Kms

FE has improved considerably – I am able to get a maximum of 13 Kmpl in city and 20 Kmpl on highway – This is with AC and normal driving, without bothering about FE. Overall, I can feel only a Km drop in FE, compared to what I was getting from my Polo. This is extremely good considering the extra power I have on tap! B2B traffic, where the engine needs to idle for a long time, is the only situation, where-in I can see a considerable drop in FE.

Considering the fact that the ACC also needs monitoring / intervention, I can say that I am quite OK using manual AC.

I am getting used to the Leatherette seats, but genuine leather is definitely more comfortable.

Rear washer / wiper would have aided visibility on a rainy day.

Hill-Hold function: This is one feature that has troubled me a lot in the last couple of weeks. I am not convinced that this is a feature to be had, for a car with MT. But, I have finally come to terms with it. Engine stalling is ONLY due of this feature and nothing else. All we need to do is, delay releasing the clutch, whenever this function is at work.

Got first-hand information about how good the brakes are: A car coming behind me could not stop in time – Result?
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6972.jpg

Some pictures:
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6973.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6976.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6977.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6982.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6987.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6989.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6993.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6996.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_7000.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_7009.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_7015.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_7016.jpg

DRL
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_7021.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_7027.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_7028.jpg
Chethan B G is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 20:54   #55
Senior - BHPian

Update @ 5300 kms on the ODO:

Luggage hook: This was sorely missed in the boot and I could source it at $15 from a VW dealer in Chicago, through my BIL who was returning from the US. Direct fit.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-boot-hook-2.jpg

Independent Multi-link suspension: Jetta's rear suspension has 4 links.

Quote from Wiki: “Multi-link suspension allows the auto designer the ability to incorporate both good ride and good handling in the same vehicle.
In its simplest form, multi-link suspension is orthogonal—i.e., it is possible to alter one parameter in the suspension at a time, without affecting anything else. This is in direct contrast to a double wishbone suspension, where moving a hard-point or changing a bushing compliance will affect two or more parameters.
Advantages also extend to off-road driving. A multi-link suspension allows the vehicle to flex more; this means simply that the suspension is able to move more easily to conform to the varying angles of off-road driving. Multi-link-equipped vehicles are ideally suited for sports such as desert racing. In desert racing, the use of a good sway bar is needed to counter body roll”.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-link_suspension

One problem I have noticed is that, with 5 adults and luggage, the tail drags itself on the way after the speed breakers. This is due to the excessive rear overhang. Looks like the exhaust pipe scraps through the hump.

All-round visibility: “A” pillar does not obstruct vision in curves. “C” pillar and the rear-end proportions are nice. This allows good rear visibility. Front & rear parking sensors does duty very well. Overall, I am very happy with all round visibility.

Engine Oil level has not decreased.

Problem with door rattle has been sorted out.

Hill hold function: I have got used to this feature and have started liking it! Now I use hand breaks only when I park the car. That is excellent! I only wish if I could reduce the holding time from 2sec to 1sec. This would help in heavy traffic.

Jetta deserves Active Cylinder Technology (ACT) and auto start / stop function. With that, FE in B2B traffic can be as good as a smaller engine car. These are the features I personally would like to have in the car, rather than the cosmetic ones.

There were about 4 follow-up calls from VW and the Dealer, inquiring about the performance of the car and requesting my feedback.

Jetta drives like butter. Linear and smooth power delivery - Excellent handling. I am simply delighted! IMHO, I have 90% of the driving experience I could get out of 3 series, by spending half the price!
Chethan B G is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 12:20   #56
BHPian

congrats , its a perfect upgrade from polo , i too drive a polo and being a fan of german quality and solidity , it makes perfect sense to replace a german by another , ACC is a sore omission even in the highline variant .
I agree VW service is expensive but I have found that their customer care feedback is very prompt and they do pull up the dealers for any flaws during services.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:18   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
congrats , its a perfect upgrade from polo , i too drive a polo and being a fan of german quality and solidity , it makes perfect sense to replace a german by another , ACC is a sore omission even in the highline variant .
I agree VW service is expensive but I have found that their customer care feedback is very prompt and they do pull up the dealers for any flaws during services.
Thanks!

ACC and Xenon headlamps with LED-DRL have been included in the 2014 variant and is already on sale.
Old 25th November 2013, 20:41   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

ACC and Xenon headlamps with LED-DRL have been included in the 2014 variant and is already on sale.
You know you can upgrade your current headlamp assembly with the Xenon one for around Rs.40-60,000. There is no spare stock right now but the lady told me that the lines for the comfortline and highline headlamps are the same so a OEM upgrade is possible.
Old 26th November 2013, 00:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
You know you can upgrade your current headlamp assembly with the Xenon one for around Rs.40-60,000. There is no spare stock right now but the lady told me that the lines for the comfortline and highline headlamps are the same so a OEM upgrade is possible.
Xenon will provide about 250% more visibility - But the current setup is also bright enough. LED-DRL is a nice to have feature - Drool factor?..

The setup is more meaningful, when combined with cornering / adaptive Xenon and headlight washer. Can these features be incorporated during upgrade?

Headlight cornering feature is present in the current setup - will I loose it after upgrade?

Will the upgrade be safe for the in-coming vehicles?
Old 26th November 2013, 00:14   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Xenon will provide about 250% more visibility - But the current setup is also bright enough. LED-DRL is a nice to have feature - Drool factor?..

The setup is more meaningful, when combined with cornering / adaptive Xenon and headlight washer. Can these features be incorporated during upgrade?

Headlight cornering feature is present in the current setup - will I loose it after upgrade?

Will the upgrade be safe for the in-coming vehicles?
The upgrade will be around a lac, and not 40-60k as mentioned above. Also its not as simple as plug and play. Sensors will have to be added to the suspension for the auto levelling, and to the steering for the adaptive lights (may not be needed). Also the windshield washer bottle will need to be changed, and extra pipes added for the headlamp washers. And the bumper may also need to be changed for the washers.

So not a very simple upgrade, but doable.

What cornering feature is there in the present set up. As far as I know the Jetta doesn't have any cornering headlights (present xenon versions do).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks