Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2014, 06:42   #91
BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Congrats!!

Best combinations IMHO. Can you please list the features you (really) miss WRT Highline...?

I have a CL and what i miss is the bluetooth on the HL ,

also the ACC in the newer models vs the present one we have , but now I'm used to adjusting the thermostat

I read about your ORVM scraping incident - i would suggest you could use the transparent protection strips which are available as a kit (for Jetta ) - available at the dealer for Jetta or from car accessory shop for the general kit, it goes along the 4 corner edges of the car (front and rear bumpers), the front air dam along the "portion which jutts-out" on each side, the leading edges of the ORVM's, and centre front lip of the air dam and the rear lip above the rear bumper. Not visible from a distance, it merges well.

Also about your mileage point in Graaja's thread - depending on the driving it can go from 11 to 22 kmpl - have got an average of upto 21~23 kmpl on my morning drive to office and sometimes , if in a rush, 13.5~14. This car can do 90-100kmph highway runs and push an avg fuel efficiency of 20 to 20.5 on the MID display. (Got that on my last Pune - Murud while going).

Would like your feedback on car performance post your 1st service, what is your observation , any changes in mileage ?

Last edited by hubolt : 6th July 2014 at 06:46.
hubolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 12:01   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
I have a CL and what i miss is the bluetooth on the HL ,

also the ACC in the newer models vs the present one we have , but now I'm used to adjusting the thermostat
Why not change the HU? I have seen Highline owners change their HU - They may give away the old one for a reasonable price.

Just keep people informed on this forum, if you need one..

Quote:
I read about your ORVM scraping incident - i would suggest you could use the transparent protection strips which are available as a kit (for Jetta ) - available at the dealer for Jetta or from car accessory shop for the general kit, it goes along the 4 corner edges of the car (front and rear bumpers), the front air dam along the "portion which jutts-out" on each side, the leading edges of the ORVM's, and centre front lip of the air dam and the rear lip above the rear bumper. Not visible from a distance, it merges well.
Thanks. This would have really helped, if I had considered earlier. Or may be I will think again...

Quote:
Also about your mileage point in Graaja's thread - depending on the driving it can go from 11 to 22 kmpl - have got an average of upto 21~23 kmpl on my morning drive to office and sometimes , if in a rush, 13.5~14. This car can do 90-100kmph highway runs and push an avg fuel efficiency of 20 to 20.5 on the MID display. (Got that on my last Pune - Murud while going).
What I meant was that the mileage will not differ much in a particular road / traffic condition. That is, if driven in traffic, variation would be between 11 and 14 - and if driven on highway, it would vary between 16 and 21.

If we merge both in-city and highway runs, it will definitely vary as you said, between 11 and 22. But this is similar to most cars.

Diesel as a fuel, is less volatile and has a higher calorific value compared to Petrol. Because of this, FE does not vary too much, WRT engine load.

Quote:
Would like your feedback on car performance post your 1st service, what is your observation , any changes in mileage ?
Dip in performance just before service (after driving 14k Kms) is negligible. Therefore, I have not sensed much change post service. May-be, it will help the air filter, if it is cleaned at an interval of 7.5k Kms. FE has been almost the same, except for a small jump due to replacement of air / fuel filters. Performance as usual is superlative, to say the least! I just love this car!!

Jetta has satisfied the "Driver" in me, to the hilt.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 12:32   #93
BHPian

Apologise for being off topic, but I will say what I miss from my previous Car. Previous car was a Safari Dicor 3L with OEM alloys and huge Geolander wheels. It had an imposing look.

I miss folks giving me way on the road. The Safari used to squeal when braked hard, which had others scurrying for cover. It pitched and rolled like a possessed dancer (which I really liked). I miss the vibration and rattle of a 3 litre Diesel Engine, you just felt like Shammi Kapoor sitting inside. I miss the commanding view.

By and large I have become very docile with the "Executive Saloon".

666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:20   #94
BHPian

I am planning to buy a Jetta... Drove the Diesel AT... it was a beast was amazed by the acceleration of the car.

Considering between Octavia... Jetta & Elantra

Octavia: Feature packed but have heard really bad reviews of service backup

Jetta : Never owned a VW before... luv the german feel and the engine... inclined to buy it...

Elantra : Low cost of service... no issues about service backup...

Worried about Jetta's cost of repair and service back pls advice....
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:44   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
I am planning to buy a Jetta... Drove the Diesel AT... it was a beast was amazed by the acceleration of the car.

Considering between Octavia... Jetta & Elantra

Octavia: Feature packed but have heard really bad reviews of service backup

Jetta : Never owned a VW before... luv the german feel and the engine... inclined to buy it...

Elantra : Low cost of service... no issues about service backup...

Worried about Jetta's cost of repair and service back pls advice....
Hi Tusker4X4,

Both Jetta and Octavia are excellent driver's cars. IMHO, Elantra is in a different league.

Since you are considering Diesel, I would suggest you to go with Jetta, as it has Independent Multi-link suspension. This pretty much improves ride/handling.

People often think that Jetta + all the extra features = Octavia. IMHO, it is not the case. Present Jetta has a much better build quality than Octavia.

General maintenance of these cars are not an Issue. I am telling this from my own experience. But accident / body repairs are a pain. Down time is very high, due to non availability of less-frequently used parts.

German cars needs to be taken care. If they are driven with responsibility, they are real fun to own.

All the best!!

Edit: Jetta has an option for extending warranty..

Last edited by Chethan B G : 23rd July 2014 at 13:47.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:08   #96
Senior - BHPian

Chethan,what are your thoughts on the current Highline v/s Comfortline debate from a chauffeur driven point of view ?

I like the additional features in the Highline,especially the xenons which give it a mini-passat look. However the differential of 2.5l is hard to justify.
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:54   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Chethan,what are your thoughts on the current Highline v/s Comfortline debate from a chauffeur driven point of view ?

I like the additional features in the Highline,especially the xenons which give it a mini-passat look. However the differential of 2.5l is hard to justify.
Hi Shashank,

For a purely chauffeur driven car, I would seriously suggest a Diesel Corolla Altis.

Assuming that it will also be driven by family, Jetta can be the choice.

I would say, choice between CL and HL depends on how much it will be chauffeur driven... If it is driven by a chauffeur above 75% of the time, it has to be CL.

Personally, between CL and HL, I would prefer a CL unless you like to have a AT.. CL is real VFM - IMHO.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 23:53   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shashank,

For a purely chauffeur driven car, I would seriously suggest a Diesel Corolla Altis.

Assuming that it will also be driven by family, Jetta can be the choice.

I would say, choice between CL and HL depends on how much it will be chauffeur driven... If it is driven by a chauffeur above 75% of the time, it has to be CL.

Personally, between CL and HL, I would prefer a CL unless you like to have a AT.. CL is real VFM - IMHO.
Yes the CL is real VFM offering which makes the decision that much harder. The only thing I didn't like in the CL,dare i say is its Vento-ish looks which the new HL thankfully loses.

The car will be used by my dad and me on outstation trips and local runabouts say to a wedding or any other such occasion. If not us,its always the driver. So may be 80% chauffeur driven and the rest self.

Also how useful have you found the other add-ons like cruise control,rcd 510,electric adjustments etc? I feel these aren't a deal-breaker to me,but I haven't really experienced these features.

Edit: Does the Jetta have auto-dimming ORVM like in the new octavia ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 23rd July 2014 at 23:57.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:51   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the CL is real VFM offering which makes the decision that much harder. The only thing I didn't like in the CL,dare i say is its Vento-ish looks which the new HL thankfully loses.

The car will be used by my dad and me on outstation trips and local runabouts say to a wedding or any other such occasion. If not us,its always the driver. So may be 80% chauffeur driven and the rest self.

Also how useful have you found the other add-ons like cruise control,rcd 510,electric adjustments etc? I feel these aren't a deal-breaker to me,but I haven't really experienced these features.

Edit: Does the Jetta have auto-dimming ORVM like in the new octavia ?
Now even the New Polo has similar looks!! If we do not compare and look at Jetta in isolation, it is a great looker.

Honestly speaking, Cruise control is useless on Indian highways. Really can not use it much. RCD510 is good WRT integration. But you can always get a better HU in the after market. Electrical seats are without memory - It is useful if you want to use it on the move OR for micro adjustments.

Jetta has outo-dimming only for IRVM..
Old 24th July 2014, 14:50   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now even the New Polo has similar looks!! If we do not compare and look at Jetta in isolation, it is a great looker.

Honestly speaking, Cruise control is useless on Indian highways. Really can not use it much. RCD510 is good WRT integration. But you can always get a better HU in the after market. Electrical seats are without memory - It is useful if you want to use it on the move OR for micro adjustments.

Jetta has outo-dimming only for IRVM..
You are right,the Jetta is a good-looker but parked side-by-side with a Vento,my sister had a hardtime telling one form another with CL variant.

So looks like majority of the features on the HL aren't worthy of the huge premium it commands. I'll negotiate for both and decide on the variant based on the differential.

Thanks a ton for all the help!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 14:56   #101
BHPian

Quote:
You are right,the Jetta is a good-looker but parked side-by-side with a Vento,my sister had a hardtime telling one form another with CL variant.

So looks like majority of the features on the HL aren't worthy of the huge premium it commands. I'll negotiate for both and decide on the variant based on the differential.

Thanks a ton for all the help!
I'm also considering the Jetta 2.0 CL, what is the best offer from which dealer?
Old 13th October 2014, 15:20   #102
Senior - BHPian

Update @ 23,000 Kms on the ODO: It has been a little more than 6 months since the first oil-change service. My experience of owning / driving Jetta has been excellent, baring minor irritants WRT Wiper & AC.

To sum it up in detail:

1. I have topped up engine-oil only once until now; That was about 300 ml @ 11,500 Kms on the ODO. After the second service, I have driven about 9000+ Kms and oil level has not come down.

2. Brake feel & bite has been excellent. Car is totally in control at any speed. To begin with; ABS, EBD, ESP, ASR, TCS... were all looking like "Just Hi-tech terms". But seriously; What a difference they make! Superb!!! They probably more than make up for the average NCT5's IMO..

3. Got the Wheel balancing / Tyre rotation / Wheel alignment done. There is absolutely no dents / bend in the alloys; They are of very good quality / strength, perfectly suitable for our kind of roads. NCT5's are good for another 10K kms; easily. I am keeping a pressure of 35 Psi on all 4 wheels.

4. RCD510 blends perfectly with the car. It intelligently switches ON/Off, as & when required. Good SQ / easy to operate / nice skin.., adds to the experience.

5. Purchased Garmin Navi 2567LM with Garmin India Maps. IMO, this is a lot better than MMI. Link: http://www.garmin.co.in/products/ontheroad/nuvi2567lm/

6. AC effectiveness is very average and I feel it has reduced off late. Will get it checked during the next oil-change service. Sun-films are a must? Any suggestions will help - Please.

7. Front wind shield wiper makes a lot of noise. Problem is worst in Auto mode; As the wiper comes on automatically / suddenly. Noise at-times is scaring, as we are not prepared for it.

Tried glass buffing (3M) and also changed the wiper blades (costed approximately 2k). Noise has reduced considerably, but not to satisfaction. Polo's wipers were very smooth in operation and a whole lot better!

8. Got an extra 12V charging socket installed in the front, by the side of the existing one. This costed me approximately 2k for the OEM kit.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-imag0016.jpg
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-imag0014.jpg

9. Anti-friction film (thick transparent film) was applied under warranty, to the inside of all doors; in order to reduce friction related door noise.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-imag0012.jpg

I have placed order for a VCDS kit from Aliexpress for USD18.99. Will tweak a few things once I receive the same.
Chethan B G is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 18:25   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[b][u] I am keeping a pressure of 35 Psi on all 4 wheels.
Isn't 35 psi a bit too high for Indian conditions? What is the recommended pressure as per VW. Do they recommend different pressure depending on the load conditions ?

I find 30 psi to be ideally suited for city driving for my Laura (virtually same tyre size). Gives good cushioning from road undulations. For highway solo driving I take it upto 32 psi. 35 psi works well when the car is fully loaded for highway trips. 35 psi for solo driving in the city gives me a very very harsh ride. I waste no time in bringing it down to 30 psi after returning to the city. Also I find pressure gauges at most petrol pumps to be poorly calibrated. I ask them to fill 35 psi and it shows 42 psi on my gauge at some pumps while at other pumps 35 psi on their gauge shows up as 30 psi on my gauge . How do I know my gauge is calibrated? I've got two gauges. If both show the same reading, I believe they are right.

Quote:

6. AC effectiveness is very average and I feel it has reduced off late. Will get it checked during the next oil-change service. Sun-films are a must? Any suggestions will help - Please.
Heat resistant sun films.

I've got 3M CR70 for the windshield and CR90 for the sides. Works like a charm. I rarely set the AC thermostat to full cooling. Penetration of heat waves through the glass areas gets greatly reduced. You almost get night time like cooling from the AC on a hot sunny day. I've never been bothered by cops as its impossible to detect the sun films by the naked eye. No water marks either on the films.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 19:33   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Isn't 35 psi a bit too high for Indian conditions? What is the recommended pressure as per VW. Do they recommend different pressure depending on the load conditions ?

I find 30 psi to be ideally suited for city driving for my Laura (virtually same tyre size). Gives good cushioning from road undulations. For highway solo driving I take it upto 32 psi. 35 psi works well when the car is fully loaded for highway trips. 35 psi for solo driving in the city gives me a very very harsh ride. I waste no time in bringing it down to 30 psi after returning to the city. Also I find pressure gauges at most petrol pumps to be poorly calibrated. I ask them to fill 35 psi and it shows 42 psi on my gauge at some pumps while at other pumps 35 psi on their gauge shows up as 30 psi on my gauge . How do I know my gauge is calibrated? I've got two gauges. If both show the same reading, I believe they are right.
50% of the time, I will have an other person in my Car. VW recommends 33 Psi all-round. I have Nitrogen in all the Tyres..
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-imag0020.jpg

I usually get the pressure checked at the same place I get my Tyre work done. Since I have filled Nitrogen, I need to get it checked only once in a month or sometimes, even once in two months. I usually do this when I am around this place (Gandhi Bazaar). I would have run the car for more than 20kms when I reach the place; Therefore, I usually ask him to keep about 3 Psi more, to compensate for the air expansion due to heat.

If I check pressure early in the morning before I take the Car out, pressure may be around 32 Psi. I do have a gauge which I have calibrated / checked at the same shop; But I use it only if I have to, in an emergency or while I am out of Bangalore.

More than the trust, I can say that I am using the gauge at this shop as reference. Till now, there has been no problems. Ride quality is OK, considering that I am on NCT5's.

I will try with 30Psi and post my experience.

Quote:

Heat resistant sun films.

I've got 3M CR70 for the windshield and CR90 for the sides. Works like a charm. I rarely set the AC thermostat to full cooling. Penetration of heat waves through the glass areas gets greatly reduced. You almost get night time like cooling from the AC on a hot sunny day. I've never been bothered by cops as its impossible to detect the sun films by the naked eye. No water marks either on the films.
I some time travel out of Karnataka to AP. Cops there are very strict. I had CR70 on my Polo which I was forced to remove (Instantly) in Hyderabad. That was a bad experience.

I was trying to avoid sun films for this reason. But I do not think I have an option..

How about CR90 all round?
Old 15th October 2014, 19:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find 30 psi to be ideally suited for city driving for my Laura (virtually same tyre size). Gives good cushioning from road undulations. For highway solo driving I take it upto 32 psi. 35 psi works well when the car is fully loaded for highway trips. 35 psi for solo driving in the city gives me a very very harsh ride. I waste no time in bringing it down to 30 psi after returning to the city.
Quote:

I will try with 30Psi and post my experience.
Jetta is the only car in my family. Therefore, question of solo drive comes in, only for official drives.

I don't think I can practically keep 30 psi.

What is your opinion on having CR90 all round?

Most Viewed