Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2015, 19:33   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Finally, I could source wipers from Amazon and replace them. These wipers are exact fit for the Jetta and the problem is completely resolved.
Chethan, the connector in Jetta is 19mm or 22mm push button? Which model did you buy? The choice is very confusing! my wipers conked in the first rains itself, same Grrrrr grrrr noise when it rubs on the windscreen.
Old 21st June 2015, 21:18   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Chethan, the connector in Jetta is 19mm or 22mm push button? Which model did you buy? The choice is very confusing! my wipers conked in the first rains itself, same Grrrrr grrrr noise when it rubs on the windscreen.
Hi Adi,
  1. Wiper arm on the Jetta is 19mm.
  2. Model I purchased: Trico 25-190 Force High Performance Beam Blade.
  3. Length: 19 inches & 24 inches - In total costed me $38 plus shipping.

This wiper comes with adopters using which it can be fitted on most vehicles. Installation is very simple and straight forward. I have attached the instruction sheet below for your reference. For Jetta & Octavia, wiper arm-width should be the same.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-trico-wiper-instruction-set.jpg
Chethan B G is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 22:42   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the worst things I have experienced on the Jetta is the quality of the wiper. It is worse than most other cars I have ever driven. Wiper blade / rubber is very thin and shudders, making "Grrreer" noise intermittently. Adding to this problem was, the auto-wiper feature on the Jetta. Due to the feature, wiper comes-on unexpectedly and sort of

I tried polishing wind-shield glass, got the wiper blade / arm aligned and even replaced wiper blade; But nothing worked. Bosch wiper available in India, do not suit Jetta.

Finally, I could source wipers from Amazon and replace them. These wipers are exact fit for the Jetta and the problem is completely resolved.

Link: http://www.tricoproducts.com/Drivers...nce/TRICOForce

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Trico-25-190-F.../dp/B005WTPBZ8

This product ships to India and is perfectly compatible with current generation Jetta and Octavia. Product comes with adapters, which are very easy to fix / connect / install and are of excellent quality.

My problem with wipers, are a thing of the past!

Hello, thank you very much for the information and link ill be ordering one for myself tonight since i too have the same issue even after replacing them with a pair of new ones just a few days back from the service center which costed me 2.2k and was a total waste of money!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 23:02   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hello, thank you very much for the information and link ill be ordering one for myself tonight since i too have the same issue even after replacing them with a pair of new ones just a few days back from the service center which costed me 2.2k and was a total waste of money!
Hi Tanveer, try to return it to the dealer if it is less than a couple of weeks old. Tell them it is not solving the problem and ask them to at least replace and give a solution. Try pressurizing them.

The idea is, at least this way the problem will be escalated and we will get a solution in future.
Old 22nd June 2015, 06:06   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My problem with wipers, are a thing of the past!
Hi Chethan,

I don't get the noise from wipers. But the main wiper does not wipe clean and leaves behind a small film of water in one of the sections. Is this the right time to change the wipers?

Did you change both or only one of the wipers? In the Jetta, both the wipers are of different size, right?

EDIT: Missed your later post. Did you get one 19" and one 24"?

Last edited by graaja : 22nd June 2015 at 06:11.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 08:27   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi Chethan,

I don't get the noise from wipers. But the main wiper does not wipe clean and leaves behind a small film of water in one of the sections. Is this the right time to change the wipers?

Did you change both or only one of the wipers? In the Jetta, both the wipers are of different size, right?

EDIT: Missed your later post. Did you get one 19" and one 24"?
Hi Graaja,

You are one of the few lucky ones!

Wipers ideally needs replacement after 2 full summer season (just before the rains), since the rubber tends to get hard during summer. Better to change them together.

Yes. I changed both the blades.
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:56   #127
Senior - BHPian

I was fiddling with my current wiper arm, and noticed that the driver side 24" wiper was the one causing the problem of improper wipes. A small may be 1" of the blade was not fit properly and that's why it was causing the problem. Just pushed it in, tried a couple of wipes, done!

Although this is only the second monsoon my car is going to face, it now seems that I do not need wiper replacement. May be next year will be a proper time to replace/upgrade to the Trico Force ones.

Also monsoon is not very strong in North Gujarat, where I live.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 22nd June 2015 at 12:58.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 02:01   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Tanveer, try to return it to the dealer if it is less than a couple of weeks old. Tell them it is not solving the problem and ask them to at least replace and give a solution. Try pressurizing them.

The idea is, at least this way the problem will be escalated and we will get a solution in future.
Hello again, i have already given a complaint with the dealer and also mentioned this during the feedback call which i received from VW, But the dealer gave me an excuse saying, Brand new wipers were fitted in your car and the old ones were kept in the boot (yes its there) and according to them the wipers were working as it should.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 13:18   #129
Senior - BHPian

Next activity : Tyre replacement. Jetta's OEM tyre Goodyear NCT5 205 55/R16 91V on 6.5j RIM is a decent combination. It offers good grip level, traction and braking power until 25K kms. After that, things slightly decline. There has not been any sign of skid / screech at any given point of time. Side-wall is strong - However, major issue is the Noise level.

My useage is mostly city, highways and rough/bad roads of Karnataka. To add to this, I have no fixed time at work. Most of my out station travel will at odd hours.

Jetta's Alloys are of very good quality and also good looking - I do not want waste money by changing them. Therefore, 6.5j RIM is fixed.

I normally do not over-speed - Barring occasional spirited drives. IMHO, 205mm tyre width is good enough and does not warrant an upgrade, under my driving pattern - Or may be 215mm, just to increase a bit on comfort. But I feel 225mm width is an overkill on the Jetta - It would un-necessarily increase rolling resistance.

My first requirement is good traction / grip, strong side-walls and then may-be, better control of tyre noise. Tyre-wear is not an issue as long as they last at-least 35K Kms. I have short-listed the following tyres:
  1. Michelin P3ST - 205 55/R16 91W
  2. Michelin P3ST - 215 55/R16 97W
  3. GoodYear Assurance Armor Grip Plus - 205 55/R16 91V

As Armor Grip Plus speaks of stronger side-wall and silicon compound, I am inclined towards it right now (Link: http://www.goodyear.co.in/tyre_detai...armorgrip-plus). Michelin's side walls are a major concern. IF PS3's were available in 205 55/R16, I would have chosen them in a minute.

I request tyre experts to comment / suggest on the same. Any suggestions on other available choice is also welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 13:15   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Michelin's side walls are a major concern.
My Vento has done 45K on Michelin PLC with no punchers and tires are good for another 8-10K; the tires have seen some of the worst so called highway surfaces in addition to regular Bangalore roads. Minimal noise (even now after 45K Kms) and very comfortable. Always had good experience with Michelin for several years now (my other car has seen 2 sets of Energy XM1s with average life of 50K Kms).

Last edited by pc73 : 29th June 2015 at 13:19.
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 14:39   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jetta's Alloys are of very good quality and also good looking - I do not want waste money by changing them. Therefore, 6.5j RIM is fixed.

I normally do not over-speed - Barring occasional spirited drives. IMHO, 205mm tyre width is good enough and does not warrant an upgrade, under my driving pattern - Or may be 215mm, just to increase a bit on comfort. But I feel 225mm width is an overkill on the Jetta - It would un-necessarily increase rolling resistance.

My first requirement is good traction / grip, strong side-walls and then may-be, better control of tyre noise. Tyre-wear is not an issue as long as they last at-least 35K Kms. I have short-listed the following tyres:
  1. Michelin P3ST - 205 55/R16 91W
  2. Michelin P3ST - 215 55/R16 97W
  3. GoodYear Assurance Armor Grip Plus - 205 55/R16 91V

With a 215/55 tyre, there is a +1.6% error on the circumference. This will result in speed and odo readings go up by 1.8%, which is not a very high value. For every 1000km displayed on the odo, you will have actually done 18 km more. But not sure what will be the consequence on warranty etc.

225/50 on the other hand, will have 0% error on the circumference, and as Adi has already done it on his Octavia, there is no need to change the 6.5j rims.

So, in my opinion, you should either stick to stock 205/55 size or upgrade to 225/50. If you are not worried about the 1.8% error in circumference, then 215 may be good.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 14:43   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Next activity : Tyre replacement. Jetta's OEM tyre Goodyear NCT5 205 55/R16 91V on 6.5j RIM is a decent combination. It offers good grip level, traction and braking power until 25K kms. After that, things slightly decline. There has not been any sign of skid / screech at any given point of time. Side-wall is strong - However, major issue is the Noise level.

Thanks in advance!
Sidewall issues on Michelins are overhyped. They are not that bad, and with some amount of being careful you will never face sidewall issues. I'd say get the Michelins in the stock size, and enjoy the better comfort and noise. With 215s, you will get slightly better ride but then the body roll will be a bit more on turns, etc so not that enjoyable. Seems you don't need the extra grip, so stick to stock size and get the P3STs.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 13:07   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
So, in my opinion, you should either stick to stock 205/55 size
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Sidewall issues on Michelins are overhyped. Seems you don't need the extra grip, so stick to stock size
Thanks. I too feel so.

I had been to the Goodyear dealer yesterday - Should say that I was pretty impressed with Assurance AG Plus. This tyre has silica based compound, KEVLAR and looks to be highly under-rated. I expect these tyres to be better than NCT5 in all aspects, including noise / comfort. Tyres cost about 7K!, including balancing and fitment.

Name:  GY Assurance AG Plus.png
Views: 2649
Size:  135.7 KB

Further, this is available on Snapdeal @ Rs.6142 per tyre. Link: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/good...5#ReviewHeader

With 2 year unconditional warranty and the next 3 years warranty against any manufacturing defects, I am really tempted.

Does any body have experience purchasing tyres from Snapdeal? How safe is it to buy tyres online? Any suggestions will help. Please!!
Old 30th June 2015, 13:17   #134
Team-BHP Support

They don't have any offering in the 15" range! :(

Quote:
Does any body have experience purchasing tyres from Snapdeal? How safe is it to buy tyres online? Any suggestions will help. Please!!
Looks like mixed feedback.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post3732201 (Flipkart starts selling Tyres) (browse down to posts #12 and 13 as well)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post3289519 (MRF ZLO Performance Tyres)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post3550127

Do ask the local outlets as well.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 13:19   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had been to the Goodyear dealer yesterday - Should say that I was pretty impressed with Assurance AG Plus. This tyre has silica based compound, KEVLAR and looks to be highly under-rated. I expect these tyres to be better than NCT5 in all aspects, including noise / comfort. Tyres cost about 7K!, including balancing and fitment.

Attachment 1387910

Further, this is available on Snapdeal @ Rs.6142 per tyre. Link: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/good...5#ReviewHeader

With 2 year unconditional warranty and the next 3 years warranty against any manufacturing defects, I am really tempted.

I strongly urge you to reconsider. I think it is a mistake. Leave the marketing stuff aside, Michelin too will have those so called different features. The Goodyear will be tougher, but that is it. I don't think you are going to go through bad patches and potholes without braking.

Get the Michelins, which will be far superior overall. I've used Goodyears as OE tyres on many cars and I have sworn to never buy the tyres myself. Right from the GPS2 on my Getz, to the Assurance (or Excellence) on my Yeti to the NCT5s on the Laura, they all have seemed like absolute budget tyres and I have been much more impressed with the vehicles after switching to Michelin/Yokos. Also they will be similar to your present tyres - they will get noisy and hard after 15k kms.

Of course its your choice, but I really do think the Michelins are the better choice any day.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 30th June 2015 at 13:21.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed