Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:52   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi Akshay, I was considering 225/50/16 as my next upgrade from the stock 205/55/16 (still lot of time to the upgrade though). You mention 215s will have higher body roll. Would the body roll in 225s be more than 215s? My main objective for upsizing is grip, and cornering stability. Would 225 gain on grip and straightline stability but lose on cornering? How would this upsize affect fuel economy? A 10% drop would not be a problem. Anything more may be a concern.

Hi Rohan, I guess you are using 225/50/16. How is the body roll and cornering stability compared to the stock 205/55/16. Also have you noticed any significant drop in fuel economy?
I mentioned 215s will have higher body roll, because he was talking about 55 profile tyres. Having 55 profile tyres on 215 rims is a bit larger than the 55 profile on the stock 205 rims. With 225/50, the profile is reduced slightly (even though the sidewall height remains same) and hence the body roll would be less also due to the wider tyres.

225/50 is perfect for what you want. And the FE will not drop by 10%, maybe 2-3% if you keep close tabs.

While Rohan is using 225/55 due to extra gc he wanted, I suggest you stick to 225/50 if GC hasn't bothered you yet. It truly makes the car into a different animal. On the 225 PS3s my VRS sometimes used to remind me of my 3 series. But now with the Yoko DBs which are more comfort oriented tyres, it doesn't feel the same. Get PS3s while you can.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:02   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
First of all, belated congratulations on your Jetta. Although I have never bought a VW, I have always liked the designs of VW in Polo, Vento, and Jetta. Much neater and symmetrical, and completely to my liking.

Why does Jetta sell a 1.4 L petrol (is this correct info). Perhaps diesel is their forte and petrol an afterthought.
Thanks!

VW group has excellent technology with petrol engines. It is just a branding strategy to equip Jetta with 1.4L and Octavia with 1.8L and so on.

Update: Driver side door master actuator developed intermittent problems and was replaced yesterday. Luckily dealer had it in stock and could be replaced in a couple of hours.

I am planning to get Bilstein B6 suspension, P3st 205 (or 215)/55/R16 and ECU remap (190 ps / 400 nm) done at Pete's.

How is Pete's ECU remap rated WRT to the others in the market? Any suggestions will help. Please!!
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 16:08   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

I am planning to get Bilstein B6 suspension, P3st 205 (or 215)/55/R16 and ECU remap (190 ps / 400 nm) done at Pete's.

How is Pete's ECU remap rated WRT to the others in the market? Any suggestions will help. Please!!
Hi Chethan, that is awesome. I too am considering wider tires and suspension upgrade when the time comes to change the tires. I will look forward to your experience with these upgrades.

Also, Good Luck with the remap. I am also considering a 177bhp/380Nm remap, but that is only after completing at least 3 years of ownership.

Last edited by graaja : 11th August 2015 at 16:14.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:19   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, Good Luck with the remap. I am also considering a 177bhp/380Nm remap, but that is only after completing at least 3 years of ownership.
Thanks!

I was also planning in a similar way. But now I am being tempted.

Which company remap you are looking at?

I am somehow not convinced about tyre upgrade. 205 width has been good enough and any way, I am opting for a better compound with p3st.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:59   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks!

Which company remap you are looking at?

I am somehow not convinced about tyre upgrade. 205 width has been good enough and any way, I am opting for a better compound with p3st.
I haven't decided on which remap to use yet, as there is a long time for that

Regarding tire width, yes, upgrading to P3ST alone can give you a great improvement in performance when compared to NCT5s. In my case, as I am already spoilt with P3STs, I am looking for a width upgrade
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 11:29   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, as I am already spoilt with P3STs, I am looking for a width upgrade
3 things come to my mind when I think of tyres: Traction, rolling resistance and Tyre-noise.

Jetta has a fairly balanced chassis and suspension setup. Therefore, this does not ADD to the stress, the tyres undergo. 205mm is a very good width and provides good traction, unless we push things to it's very limit. I have never come across any nervous situation with NCT5 until now. I expect P3st to be still better.

Rolling resistance increases with section width. If we opt for a higher width than that is required, it will increase rolling resistance and also DRAG. This not only decreases FE, but also can impact our 0-100 figures negatively.

IMHO, increasing section width is not always required, unless one wants to improve aesthetics. I feel maintaining the tyre and replacing when due is more important.

Guys, I have a question - Kindly help:

I have placed order on Pete's for Bilstein B6 suspension and Remap. Part will be available next week for replacement.

With respect to remap, I have been given 2 options:

1. Standard remap - 177 Bhp & 380 Nm. (Something similar to A4)

2. Performance remap - 190 bhp & 400 Nm.

It will be of great help if informed people can suggest which is better. Is the first option safer (between the two) for the engine? Or is the second option equally safe?

Thanks in advance.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 12:34   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
3 things come to my mind when I think of tyres: Traction, rolling resistance and Tyre-noise.

Jetta has a fairly balanced chassis and suspension setup. Therefore, this does not ADD to the stress, the tyres undergo. 205mm is a very good width and provides good traction, unless we push things to it's very limit. I have never come across any nervous situation with NCT5 until now. I expect P3st to be still better.

Rolling resistance increases with section width. If we opt for a higher width than that is required, it will increase rolling resistance and also DRAG. This not only decreases FE, but also can impact our 0-100 figures negatively.

IMHO, increasing section width is not always required, unless one wants to improve aesthetics. I feel maintaining the tyre and replacing when due is more important.
I usually push the car to its limits on curves. I reguarly drive from Coimbatore to Mysore and enjoy the winding roads and ghats of Sathyamangalam forests. In some of these corners I feel the handling is a little nervous, and stability will improve with wider section tires. Aesthetics does not figure at all in my priorities. And yes, the fuel efficiency and 0-100 times may be affected, but may not be by a huge margin.

Quote:

I have placed order on Pete's for Bilstein B6 suspension and Remap. Part will be available next week for replacement.

It will be of great help if informed people can suggest which is better. Is the first option safer (between the two) for the engine? Or is the second option equally safe?

Thanks in advance.
The 2.0TDI engine may easily handle the 190bhp/400Nm tune. It is not just the engine that gets loaded by a remap. There are other components that also get stressed due to the higher output. You need to figure these as well in your decision.

1. Do the tires have enough traction to handle the increased torque without slipping? You may have to reconsider your choice on tire width because of the high torque in the remap. However, if your intention from the higher torque is purely for in-city drive-ability, and not for aggressive acceleration and launches, then wider tires may not be required.
2. The maximum torque the gear box can handle. When the torque from the engine increases, the strain on the clutch increases. This may result in quicker clutch wear, clutch slip etc.
3. Brakes. When you add power and torque to the drive train, you also need to check if the brakes can handle the added acceleration. Again, this will come into picture only when you plan to subject the car to aggressive acceleration. But I think Jetta with disc brakes on the front and rear should be able to handle this well.

As yours is a manual transmission, it may be ok to go for a 400Nm torque, but do some research on the torque rating of the gearbox before deciding on the final numbers.

I am sure people with more experience on remaps could provide you with more inputs.

I have a question. Did you check how the warranty gets affected by the suspension upgrade and remap? I am holding back on these modifications mainly due to warranty concerns.

Last edited by graaja : 12th August 2015 at 12:35.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 12:52   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If you are getting a map, you will need 225 tyres. With 205 tyres traction will be a big issue.

The shocks will be great, though if you don't push the car or do high speeds it may not be worth it. I suggest you get the tyres and remap first, and then see if you need the shocks.

As for the remap. Take any, but check whether the 190bhp map produces black smoke.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 16:02   #159
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Hi chetan,
i have not remapped my jet yet, mainly because of warranty issues, but now completing third year and started my research on this. Whatever akshay and Graaja has mentioned is true based on my reading. Remap will also need support from mechanicals of the car to perform the best and safe as well. However i feel, no need to opt for suspension setup atleast not without having tried the current one.

I also inquired to petes and surprisingly i was given only one option, 177 and 380. If price is not much different i would say go for 190 hp and beat the likes of bimmer and A6, forget A4. 400 NM would certainly push you into the deepest part ur seats can offer. I would say invest in performance brake pads (remember this thing should stop also quickly) like brembo or similar. Can you share the costs for petes remap and how is their procedure?
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 17:38   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Chethan, if you are going for Bilsteins + remap, I would strongly urge you to go for 225 tyres as the stiffer suspension will will increase cornering confidence and your tyres will have to work harder. Also with increased torque, you will need increased traction which come with wider tyres.

Regarding increase in drag and drop in FE, I would not worry too much. 225's will improve your 0-100 timing and not reduce it! I moved from 205 Primacy LC to 225 PS3s and the difference in performance is quite substantial everything else being the same and FE drop is very very marginal. In terms of safety too the 225s will help, as they will reduce braking distance. With the Bilsteins you will easily reach good speeds without realising as the car will feel very easy to control. Then when you need to shed speed quickly, the tyres will come into play.

As far as the remap goes, I would recommend the standard remap, unless of course you are performance freak who likes to eek out the last drop of performance from his car! 380NM is a lot of torque and with just 20NM down compared to the performance map you won't be losing much.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th August 2015 at 17:46.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 18:20   #161
Senior - BHPian

Interesting train of thought developing here!

I would echo the sentiments of Santosh and Akshay in saying that 225's are a must for the remap. However, I was chatting with Tanveer (from this forum) a few days back and he mentioned that Tune-o-tronics told him the 190 bhp tune is not advisable for manuals, only the DSG's. I found that odd, as surely if one of the two transmissions cannot take the extra stress, it would be the DSG. Double-check on this too, but frankly I don't think the lower tune would be much worse. The difference is only notional and at some level emotional. Happy shopping, I'm going to stay glued to the thread!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 19:23   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

I would echo the sentiments of Santosh and Akshay in saying that 225's are a must for the remap. However, I was chatting with Tanveer (from this forum) a few days back and he mentioned that Tune-o-tronics told him the 190 bhp tune is not advisable for manuals, only the DSG's. I found that odd, as surely if one of the two transmissions cannot take the extra stress, it would be the DSG. Double-check on this too, but frankly I don't think the lower tune would be much worse. The difference is only notional and at some level emotional. Happy shopping, I'm going to stay glued to the thread!

Hello karan i just checked my conversation with tune o tronics and it was as seen below with its cost mentioned. What i am confused about is, Why would the AT get more torque or bhp than the MT version?
And indeed petes is offering a 190 bhp remap.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1439387406.027657.jpg
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 23:42   #163
Senior - BHPian

Guys, BIG thanks for the suggestions!

Suspension Upgrade: Reason I am going in with this is; my car's suspension damping has come down and I will need to change them after about 10K-20K Kms. Therefore, I thought "Why not get a better dampener". Since I will have to slow-down on less occasions, my average speed will increase and there-by reduce the duration I take to reach my destination.

Remap: This is mainly for a quicker acceleration (when I slow-down on highway) and to increase usable range of 6th gear. Right-now in 6th gear, I have to shift down if I slow-down and touch 100 Kmph, as the engine RPM falls below the boost.

And also, obviously, I am beginning to get greedy!!

By the way, remap will require oil-change service done every 12k Kms and air filter cleaned / replaced every 6k Kms.

Tyre: Guys, I respect each one of your views. I will definitely rethink, But I need to do it at my own pace. Not that I am adamant / stubborn / egoistic, it is just that I need to feel the necessity, based on my needs.

Please understand, I am a person who have come up the ladder in terms of automobiles. I am yet to taste good things in life and therefore a bit slow in concurring. Please do not mind.

Right now, the plan is as below:

1. Suspension upgrade next Tuesday / Wednesday at "Head over Wheels".
2. 3rd Oil change service immediately after that - before next week-end.
3. Remap immediately after that - Pete's want my car for 4 days for this work!!!???
4. Will drive the car for 500 Kms with NCT5, which has sufficient thread left. After this, I will decide on the tyre width - 205 / 215 / 225. Tyres will be P3st, if it is one of the first 2 options and PS3 if the option is 225 width. But, I am not changing the alloys - Period!

All this planned before the end of this month. Fingers crossed!!!

Quote:
I have a question. Did you check how the warranty gets affected by the suspension upgrade and remap? I am holding back on these modifications mainly due to warranty concerns.
Thanks graaja. Manual Gearbox MQ350 is rated at 350NM of torque. I somehow thought that the MT can handle torque in excess of 400NM and had completely neglected it. Now, I am spending time researching on this. 380NM is 9% in excess - Manual transmission - Should be OK I guess? I have asked Pete's for details. Again, keeping my fingers crossed!

AFAIK, warranty on suspension related parts is only for 6 months - Therefore, does not matter. Engine warranty will be void if something happens; I am taking the risk since the car is properly run-in and does not have any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
As for the remap. Take any, but check whether the 190bhp map produces black smoke.
Yes Akshay. I think I will go with the standard map, as the torque is exceeding 10% of the MQ350 rating, if I go with the performance map. Can you check / confirm on the OEM rating of MQ350? Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Can you share the costs for petes remap and how is their procedure?
For the map, they are charging me 45k all inclusive. I will detail the procedure once it is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
As far as the remap goes, I would recommend the standard remap. 380NM is a lot of torque and with just 20NM down compared to the performance map you won't be losing much.
I agree with you 100%. Does your car also have MQ350? Any idea about it's official torque rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

Happy shopping, I'm going to stay glued to the thread!
Literally exited myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
What i am confused about is, Why would the AT get more torque or bhp than the MT version?
Both MQ350 and DQ350 are rated the same I suppose. As you said, this is confusing..
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 00:30   #164
Senior - BHPian

Amazing thread

I'd suggest you get the tyres swapped before the remap.

Reason : Old tyres will have lesser traction (& therefore speed) than the newer ones. If Pete's is going to do test runs with the maps, its better that they get the exact setup that you're going to use. This'll give you a better outcome of remapping IMO.

So, if possible, please try & use up the current tyres and go for the newer ones and even run in those for ~2-300kms before remap.

Just my 2¢.

{Edit : Also, if it's a switchable map, if you switch to stock settings (& hide the switching system - if alternate, else I guess it'll be a synchronised way of pressing the accelerator) I don't think ASC will be able find out / make out any difference as most probably the ASC never reads maps on ECU as part of standard procedure.}

I'll be stuck onto this thread keenly looking forward to the developments

Rgds

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 13th August 2015 at 00:44.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 00:34   #165
Senior - BHPian

Hello Chetan BG ! I have too planned to get my jet remapped. But for now these are the confusion's for me,

1. You saw what tune o tronics is offering.
2. Kirrus had posted a remapped jetta TDI MT to 175BHP, Torque figure wasn't mentioned, I saw this on their FB page sometime back.
3. Petes is offering 190BHP remap and it seems to be very tempting, But its weird that they are asking 4 days for it? Or are they going to test the car properly and see nothing goes wrong?
4. Racechip pro 2, Which bumps up the power to 182Bhp and 398 Nm of torque. Reviews around the internet is pretty good, Plus its an added advantage to remove the chip before every servicing so there won't be even the slightest warranty concerns.

I am finding it really hard to select one of these, Also along with the remap i will be changing the shoe's to the Pilot sports 3 with 225/50/16. Absolutely agree with you for not changing the alloy, I simply love them.

I won't opt for the suspension upgrade as yet, Ill first see how the car behaves after the remap and tire upgrade.

Please do keep us posted about your progress, All the best!

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 13th August 2015 at 00:35.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks