Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 09:03   #256
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Thanks Graaja!

I have purchased a kit from ebay - Link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Tire-Pre...item2a407bfa33

I am not sure if the switch goes inside the glove compartment or near the gear stick. Right place is important, as the cable length might be just enough. Also, I am not sure about the procedure. Can you help with some ideas?
Hi Chethan,

The switch goes near the gear stick, near the optical parking system switch. Check out the following link that has a pdf document with step by step instructions for a 2006 Jetta. This may be out of date for the current Jetta though. The pin number connecting to the ABS controller may be different. Nevertheless, this should give some idea on routing the wire.

TPMS switch installation

Note: I would suggest you download this file and store it locally. Few months back, I was able to locate this file easily. But today I found many of the links are no longer working.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 09:30   #257
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Hi Chetan,

A whole lot of modifications there - new rubber, Bilsteins and Pete’s remap! Congrats!

Hope you’re having a good time with the car after the exciting mods.

Regarding the indirect TPMS, I have no clue honestly. Having a different car altogether and no dedicated gateway module (like in the Jetta), most functions aren’t available for the Polo so haven’t researched much about the indirect TPMS. I have however come across the OEM direct TPMS with the dedicated sensors on the wheels and the radio transmitter which transmits the data to the gateway and displays the information on the cluster like this:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-e655c78s960.jpg
(Cluster from the Skoda Octavia)

The sensors:
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-69a2824s960.jpg

Installed in the wheel:
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-f1a2824s960.jpg

The radio receiver:
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-ef57294s960.jpg

Obviously, this is a whole lot expensive than the indirect TPMS and requires an upgrade of the CAN gateway unit but the main advantage is, it is far more accurate and it tells you which tire is specifically under inflated on the cluster’s MID. The indirect one only throws a warning symbol on the cluster.

Moreover, the indirect one requires the user to set/calibrate the TPMS every time when the tire is inflated. If you don’t do it, the system doesn’t throw a warning! Suppose you are driving, the cluster throws the warning. You have your family in your car and it is terribly hot outside. Will you stop the car by the roadside to inflate the tires? Probably not. You will prefer pressing the SET button instead and the warning goes off. The system then calibrates for the lower pressure and won’t throw the warning until there’s a further pressure loss in that tire. And the driver has conveniently forgot that one of the tires are running under inflated. But hey, something is better than nothing.

The only downside of the direct TPMS (other than the cost) is the battery life for the transmitters on the wheel. They last around 7 years or so. After that it needs to be renewed and each transmitter costs around 50 USD!

Do check out these links where the Russians have installed it on their Octavias and Passats:

https://www.drive2.ru/l/2207168/

https://www.drive2.ru/l/1896517/

https://www.drive2.ru/l/1762479/

https://www.drive2.ru/l/3345938/

Upgrading the CAN gateway unit also gives you the fatigue detection system which VW is providing with the newer Jettas. A straightforward swap and some VCDS edits.

Link on how to from a 2012 Tiguan (same for the Jetta): http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...das-95634.html

Buy the replacement CAN gateway module from Ali: http://ru.aliexpress.com/store/produ...toreId=1267712

Quote:
I am not sure if the switch goes inside the glove compartment or near the gear stick. Right place is important, as the cable length might be just enough. Also, I am not sure about the procedure. Can you help with some ideas?
Can be installed in both the places but I think the one in front of the gear stick would be convenient for you (i.e. the driver) to press when the warning shows up on the cluster.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th September 2015 at 12:23.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 14:03   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The switch goes near the gear stick, near the optical parking system switch. Check out the following link that has a pdf document with step by step instructions for a 2006 Jetta. This may be out of date for the current Jetta though. The pin number connecting to the ABS controller may be different. Nevertheless, this should give some idea on routing the wire.
Thanks again Graaja!

I have the kit with me. But after going through the detailed process, I wonder if I really need to retrofit the switch? Particularly since the routing is through the usually hot engine bay.

On an average, I would have 2 punctures in a year maximum. Warning light is just an error indicator and does not cause any inconvenience. Reset is a 5 minutes job with VCDS and can be done at leisure.

Switch would add to the feel-good factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hi Chetan,

A whole lot of modifications there - new rubber, Bilsteins and Pete’s remap! Congrats!

Hope you’re having a good time with the car after the exciting mods.
Thanks Gannu_1. As I am not competent enough to utilize the modifications to it's very best, I am only moderate in my usage. Even then, I am having a blast.

Quote:
Moreover, the indirect one requires the user to set/calibrate the TPMS every time when the tire is inflated. If you don’t do it, the system doesn’t throw a warning! Suppose you are driving, the cluster throws the warning. You have your family in your car and it is terribly hot outside. Will you stop the car by the roadside to inflate the tires? Probably not. You will prefer pressing the SET button instead and the warning goes off. The system then calibrates for the lower pressure and won’t throw the warning until there’s a further pressure loss in that tire. And the driver has conveniently forgot that one of the tires are running under inflated. But hey, something is better than nothing.
It is not very cumbersome. Once the warning lights up, we can just attend to the cause and drive-on. That is, if it is a puncture, it has to be set right OR if it is just a pressure drop, fill nitrogen/air and drive-on. This is similar to our usual practice.

Reset has to be done ONLY after the tyres are all put back in proper shape. All tyres should have the same pressure (at least the axial) before TPMS reset. Once we reset TPMS through VCDS, ABS module will restart the learning process and take about 100 Kms to adapt.

With the reset switch, ABS module will not loose stored calibration data and so, will not require to re-learn. This is the only advantage in having a dedicated TPMS reset switch.

Main advantage of an indirect TPMS is that it is FREE!!

Quote:
Upgrading the CAN gateway unit also gives you the fatigue detection system which VW is providing with the newer Jettas.
Actually, Fatigue detection is active in my car (on stock). But I do not know how it works. I thought since the steering has necessary hardware, it should work? Does CAN gateway (Just a networking HUB) do anything here? Can you give details about the upgrade and its costs? Please...

I have tried to simulate fatigue detection, but have not been successful.

Quote:
Can be installed in both the places but I think the one in front of the gear stick would be convenient for you (i.e. the driver) to press when the warning shows up on the cluster.
I wonder if the dealer will help with this installation..?
Old 30th September 2015, 15:18   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually, Fatigue detection is active in my car (on stock).
How do you know it is active? Did you simply enable the option in VCDS?

Quote:
I thought since the steering has necessary hardware, it should work?
Nope. Requires the CAN gateway upgrade. Not sure why the stock one wouldn't work. Perhaps the stock one does not transmit this data between the other CAN data bus systems?

Check this link - http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...das-95634.html

It has all the details.

Swapping the gateway is very simple - remove the plastic trim above the pedals and you will notice the red colored connector plugged to the CAN gateway module. Unplug it, remove the unit by taking it off the metal clip, replace the new unit and plug the connector. Plug the VCDS cable and do the rest. But before doing all this, do an autoscan and save it.

IINM cars with the bixenon lamps should have the highline CAN gateway so it is just a matter of enabling the setting in VCDS. Karan & Ganesh - do check if that's the case!

Quote:
I wonder if the dealer will help with this installation..?
Some service centers might. At least the one in my place is very helpful in this regard.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 16:22   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks again Graaja!

I have the kit with me. But after going through the detailed process, I wonder if I really need to retrofit the switch? Particularly since the routing is through the usually hot engine bay.

On an average, I would have 2 punctures in a year maximum. Warning light is just an error indicator and does not cause any inconvenience. Reset is a 5 minutes job with VCDS and can be done at leisure.

Switch would add to the feel-good factor.
Reset has to be done ONLY after the tyres are all put back in proper shape. All tyres should have the same pressure (at least the axial) before TPMS reset. Once we reset TPMS through VCDS, ABS module will restart the learning process and take about 100 Kms to adapt.

With the reset switch, ABS module will not loose stored calibration data and so, will not require to re-learn. This is the only advantage in having a dedicated TPMS reset switch.
Hi Chethan,

The main reason to put the reset switch is not just to avoid inconvenience of connecting to VCDS, but mainly functional. As you mentioned, if resetting through VCDS takes 100km of learning by the controller every time, what if you lose pressure in the tire within 100km of resetting the system? In such situations, a reset switch makes more sense.

But yes. The wiring looks quite complicated and is not a DIY job unless you are an experienced engineer It is best to get it fixed by an experienced mechanic.

OT, I also got a VCDS cable long time back. I plugged it once and did some scanning. However, I did not have the heart to make any changes, and the VCDS cable is lying idle since then
Old 30th September 2015, 19:00   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VCDS Adaptation update: Finally I could crack down indirect TPMS (Flat Tyre Indicator) through the VCDS!!

While working on the subject, I stumbled upon the idea that the problem could be with the activation / synchronization between the CAN Gateway & ABS module; Also had a doubt that the Instrument cluster could have a CAP on the maximum amount of information it can display. I may be totally wrong here, but this is how I proceeded.

1. De-activated unwanted things like, Instantaneous FE and Fuel refill quantity from the MFD through VCDS Instruments adaptation.

2. Scanned through CAN Gateway Long-Coding and visited Byte 3 (which is not available in my car (!), but available for Indirect TPMS activation in some international Jetta's).

3. Activated TPMS light on the cluster through Instruments - Long Coding - Byte 2.

4. Activated TPMS PR-7K6 in ABS Brakes - Byte 16.

5. Reset TPMS through ABS Controller - Basic settings - Group 042.

After this, I was ready to go!! I could see momentary TPMS light on the cluster when the ignition was turned ON!! BINGO!!!!

VCDS scan file after activating TPMS:

Drove the car for about 120 Kms on both city and highway roads. This is necessary as the ECU has to learn & adapt to the TPMS. There-after, thought of checking if the TPMS really works (!). I deflated LHS back tyre for about 7 Psi and started driving; After 4/5 Kms, TPMS error came ON and I was delighted!!

Drove to a tyre shop and refilled nitrogen in the LHS back tyre. After that, reset TPMS through VCDS (step 5 above) - Error light vanished!

VCDS scan file with TPMS error:

After resetting the TPMS each time, one has to run the car for about 100 Kms. This is necessary for the ECU to adapt and the TPMS to work.

I do not know the minimum difference in pressure the ABS module can detect. But since it takes a long time to detect, IMO it can be best used within city limits. A sudden deflation may trigger the system faster? I can only hope so.
Hey, I had done exactly the same, But the TPMS light would be ON for me forever! It just won't go off, Even for driving more than 150Kms! I think i need to try it again. I had also activated an option on the MFD itself to reset the TPMS, I will be trying it over again once the amazing VW service centre is able to fix my car!

Also which cable are you using? I have got the clone 12.12.3.

As for the second generation TPMS and fatigue recognition, A Can Upgrade is needed, My 2014 with bixenons also has the 7N0 907 530 (AK) Gateway, Now AFAIK, AK is not supported, Even if you activate Fatigue Assist via VCD's It would show its active, But it won't work, There should be an option at the MFD which says Driver Alert which can be Checked or Unchecked.

I have already ordered the upgraded can gateway, this one 7N0 907 530 AN, From herehttp://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Imported-VW-Canbus-MKE-Fatigue-Remind-Gateway-For-VW-Passat-B6-Jetta-5-MK5-Golf-6/909381_32235887193.html

The can gateway is either located just above the pedals or below the front wipers, Just have to remove it, Recode it with the original coding and then activate the DAS.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 30th September 2015 at 19:13.
Old 1st October 2015, 13:06   #262
Senior - BHPian

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap!

Quote:
How do you know it is active? Did you simply enable the option in VCDS?
Instruments - Adaptation - "Pause Recommendation" - Is active since stock.

CAN gateway - Adaptation - DAS - Is active since stock.

But CAN gateway gives a message saying that the assistance will work only if the gateway has the supporting software. That is it!

MFD does not show the option. I had not understood this earlier...

Quote:
Nope. Requires the CAN gateway upgrade.

Check this link - http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...das-95634.html

It has all the details.
You are right Gannu. Gateway needs additional software to support DAS. Looks like some people have flashed EEPROM in the Gateway module, to make it work. This is interesting; but may not be worth it, as a new gateway is not very expensive?

Quote:
Swapping the gateway is very simple - remove the plastic trim above the pedals and you will notice the red colored connector plugged to the CAN gateway module. Unplug it, remove the unit by taking it off the metal clip, replace the new unit and plug the connector. Plug the VCDS cable and do the rest. But before doing all this, do an autoscan and save it.
Thanks. Process is simple.

In my Personal opinion, upgrading gateway only for DAS does not make sense. DAS may be important for Australian / American kind of road / traffic. In India, road condition / traffic is enough to keep us awake!! If the Gateway needs to be changed / upgraded for some other reason, new gateway which supports DAS can be planned.

What do you think? Are there any other advantages we get by upgrading CAN Gateway?

Quote:
OT, I also got a VCDS cable long time back. I plugged it once and did some scanning. However, I did not have the heart to make any changes, and the VCDS cable is lying idle since then
Hi Graaja,

To tell you frankly, I also had purchased the cable about a year back - and not even tried to check it. May be, I thought it is complicated. Now I know it is not, as long as we understand the flow of operations. Any random attempt can create headaches.

First time, I saw Shibin working on VCDS and I thought what the hell, it is so simple. Now I repent for having wasted 2 years, without carrying out these simple mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hey, I had done exactly the same, But the TPMS light would be ON for me forever! It just won't go off, Even for driving more than 150Kms! I think i need to try it again. I had also activated an option on the MFD itself to reset the TPMS, I will be trying it over again once the amazing VW service centre is able to fix my car!
TPMS light should come on momentarily when we turn-on ignition. It should not stay on permanently, unless it comes on due to an error after initial calibration.

If the light is permanently ON, you may have accidentally activated TPMS in CAN Gateway installation list. TPMS in CAN Gateway Installation list, is for direct TPMS. This will throw an error, as the module is not present.

Quote:
Also which cable are you using? I have got the clone 12.12.3.
I am also using a similar cable.

Quote:
As for the second generation TPMS and fatigue recognition, A Can Upgrade is needed, My 2014 with bixenons also has the 7N0 907 530 (AK) Gateway, Now AFAIK, AK is not supported, Even if you activate Fatigue Assist via VCD's It would show its active, But it won't work, There should be an option at the MFD which says Driver Alert which can be Checked or Unchecked.

I have already ordered the upgraded can gateway, this one 7N0 907 530 AN, From herehttp://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Imported-VW-Canbus-MKE-Fatigue-Remind-Gateway-For-VW-Passat-B6-Jetta-5-MK5-Golf-6/909381_32235887193.html
Thanks! This is Interesting. Kindly update once it is done.

Are you looking at the benefits other than DAS, by upgrading CAN Gateway?

I am not able to upload videos on the forum. Can somebody please help with the procedure?

Dear Moderators, Kindly update the Thread title to: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap!
Old 1st October 2015, 13:20   #263
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap!

Quote:
Hi Graaja,

To tell you frankly, I also had purchased the cable about a year back - and not even tried to check it. May be, I thought it is complicated. Now I know it is not, as long as we understand the flow of operations. Any random attempt can create headaches.

First time, I saw Shibin working on VCDS and I thought what the hell, it is so simple. Now I repent for having wasted 2 years, without carrying out these simple mods.

I am not able to upload videos on the forum. Can somebody please help with the procedure?
Thanks Chethan. I will try the VCDS tweaks as well soon. Can you point me to any specific document or link that explains the step by step procedure?

Regarding videos, I think you just have to upload your video to youtube and then insert the link in your post. The link will automatically be converted into an embedded video.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 23:19   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you point me to any specific document or link that explains the step by step procedure?
There are a lot of them on-line. You can try Ross-Tech site itself for the demo. These sites just tell us how to navigate. It is important to know how the modules function / interact and then make changes.

Try to catch-up with someone with VCDS for the first time. Ping me if you come to Bangalore any time..

Quote:
Regarding videos, I think you just have to upload your video to Youtube and then insert the link in your post. The link will automatically be converted into an embedded video.
Thanks! Let me try if this one works!

Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 00:35   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! This is Interesting. Kindly update once it is done.

Are you looking at the benefits other than DAS, by upgrading CAN Gateway
Just the DAS for now, I don't really think ill opt for the second generation TPMS.

Well first of all, It worked, Just saw the video.

Secondly, I tried again today but it still did not work for me, For me the TPMS light won't turn on unless i select it from the installation list, And if i do that, the light remains on forever. Ill wait till i install the self parking with upgraded ABS sensors, Will probably turn on TPMS then, Will also order the TPMS reset switch by then.
Old 2nd October 2015, 16:28   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you point me to any specific document or link that explains the step by step procedure?
For Menu navigation, you can practice through the DEMO here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/m...in_screen.html

Keep hitting the buttons and the demo will take you through most menus, as though it is connected to a car.

Quote:
There are a lot of them on-line. You can try Ross-Tech site itself for the demo. These sites just tell us how to navigate. It is important to know how the modules function / interact and then make changes.
Quote:
Secondly, I tried again today but it still did not work for me, For me the TPMS light won't turn on unless i select it from the installation list, And if i do that, the light remains on forever.

Just wanted to share my knowledge and experience on VCDS:

CAN Gateway: CAN (Control Area Network) is a Network hub used to exchange serial data between various controllers and sensors. Difference between model-versions is mainly with respect to increase in communication speed and bandwidth (additional ports - so that more controllers can be connected). Some of the newer versions have an additional function of initiating a stored program, when interrupted by connected modules (example: DAS).

Control modules that are physically installed, should be activated in the CAN Gateway Installation list. To find out the list of control modules that are installed in the car, we can refer to the CAR DATA sheet, as this is VIN specific.

Once a module is activated in the Installation list, CAN Gateway will establish communicate with it. If the module is physically not installed, CAN Gateway will not receive any feedback from the module and therefore, throws an error in the Auto-scan.

CAN Installation list should be altered only if any control module is added or replaced. Just activating a module in this list will not help and will only create problems!

There is nothing much to do with the Long coding and Adaptation, in the CAN Gateway. DAS can be activated under adaptation. Again, anything with CAN Gateway should be changed only after proper deliberation!

Control Modules: IMHO, modules like Engine, Gearbox and Airbags are best left untouched!

Rest are relatively simple. If a feature is not supported by the module, it will not accept the new code. If the code is accepted and the corresponding sensors are not physically present, it will throw an error in the Auto-scan.

Often, multiple modules needs to be coded to activate a particular feature – For example; CAN Gateway and Instrument cluster needs to be coded to activate DAS. Here, sequence of coding is important. In my opinion, driver interface wherever applicable, needs to be coded / adapted before the primary module. That is, in this case, Instrument panel needs to be adapted first and then the CAN Gateway. This way, all supporting modules will be ready for use, by the time the primary module is coded / adapted.

Points to ponder:

Make sure that all electrical devices such as AC/Fan, Interior lighting, 12V power sockets are switched-off / un-used during the time VCDS is connected to the car. This will avoid battery drain. Sometimes, a single session can go on for more than a couple of hours and could result in a drained battery! It is also a good idea to keep time during the activity.

All window glasses can be lowered for ventilation. Some of the modules require the doors to be kept open, for VCDS to properly communicate and execute user inputs!

To begin with, please scan all modules and save the report as reference.

It is better to change / activate one function at a time and then run an auto-scan, just to see that there are no errors registered. This way, if the auto-scan throws an error, it is easier to go back and correct the same.

Each time we input a request, VCDS communicates with the respective module and will carry out the operation – VCDS is not just software running in isolation! While navigating through menus, allow the software to finish the task in hand. DO NOT interrupt - This can cause communication problems!

It is best practice to always start and end the session with an Auto-Scan. Exit VCDS only after you see a clear scan without any error!

Hope this helps!

Take care!! All the best!!!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 16:40   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For Menu navigation, you can practice through the DEMO here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/m...in_screen.html
Just wanted to share my knowledge and experience on VCDS:
Thanks a ton Chethan, for taking time and writing this comprehensive instruction set. I think I am confident now to start tinkering with VCDS now

I will first go through the Ross-Tech demo and then start.
Old 6th October 2015, 21:26   #268
Senior - BHPian

Update: Emission check done - As required by regulatory board.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-jetta-polution-control-certificate-edited.jpg

Not sure if these values makes sense.
Old 17th October 2015, 18:02   #269
Senior - BHPian

Update : 46,000 Kms on the ODO - 4,000 Kms after the remap.

Got the Jetta on a 2-wheel DYNO at Race-dynamics. Details are as follows:

Ambient temperature: 32 degrees centigrade.
Bangalore's Altitude: 3000 ft above sea level.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-imag0172.jpg
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-imag0173.jpg

As the DYNO is just for the front wheels, back wheels were not running - MID immediately threw up errors on ESP / XDS .. etc.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-vw-jetta-tdi.png

Looks like the ECU recognised that the car is being tested and switched modes! Practically, with the cheat software working; 2-wheel DYNO is a waste on any VW Tdi!

Interesting link: http://www.carscoops.com/2015/10/201...n-reveals.html

Thanks to VW - Looks like wait is still ON, until I get the car on a 4-wheel DYNO!

Wish you all a very happy Dasara!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 17th October 2015 at 18:17.
Chethan B G is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 21:52   #270
BHPian

Hi chetan, for accurate results, put your car on a shaft dyno, gives accurate results, dynapack of RRP is shaft dyno.The one u tested seems to b inertia dyno.

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by bblost : 17th October 2015 at 22:37.
tikku.dk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks