Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2016, 08:30   #331
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Its available on aliexpress as well, I had seen this one with around the same price range around 350-400 $ sometime back with shipping via DHL, Though is still cheaper to buy it directly, This unit probably has EVERYTHING!

Trust me, I am too controlling myself for not going in for an impulsive buy!
Boy, oh boy, the upgrade itch has started already

The features I consider awesome: Vehicle status display integration, TPMS, reverse camera + OPS integration, and phone link. I always considered the HU in Octavia with vehicle info integration far advanced that of Jetta and was missing this feature in the Jetta. This HU could solve that problem.

However, I am going to resist the urge for another year (at least halfway through extended warranty).

Quote:
Navigation on MFD is sweet! The system also has a mirror link type of a feature in which always you can pair your phone and use google maps through the phone to the infotainment system, Though that won't show on the MFD, Navigation on MFD is uber cool!
I doubt if the MFD in Jetta will support this integration. In the product page, the MFD is shown with color display, whereas the Indian Jetta has monochrome MFD. Did you confirm with the vendor that MFD integration works for our Jettas?

Also, a few things to consider if this can be a drop in replacement to the existing RCD510:
1. Does the Quadlock cable used in RCD510 directly fit to this HU?
2. I believe Jetta has 9W7 bluetooth module. Does the HU integrate seamlessly with the 9W7?
3. Does it require an external GPS antenna?

Overall, a cool upgrade indeed!
Old 17th February 2016, 09:17   #332
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Also, a few things to consider if this can be a drop in replacement to the existing RCD510:
1. Does the Quadlock cable used in RCD510 directly fit to this HU? - Yes
2. I believe Jetta has 9W7 bluetooth module. Does the HU integrate seamlessly with the 9W7? Yes
3. Does it require an external GPS antenna? Comes with Antenna. But mostly useless as the software that it comes with is IG08 which has poor map for India.

For maps simply use Mirrorlink.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 09:49   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
1. Does the Quadlock cable used in RCD510 directly fit to this HU? - Yes
2. I believe Jetta has 9W7 bluetooth module. Does the HU integrate seamlessly with the 9W7? Yes
3. Does it require an external GPS antenna? Comes with Antenna. But mostly useless as the software that it comes with is IG08 which has poor map for India.

For maps simply use Mirrorlink.
So, leaving the reverse camera which will require some wiring, fitting this HU should be a 10 minute job!

Becoming more enticing!
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 09:54   #334
BHPian

Guys, did anyone consider upgrading to a Carplay / Android auto unit? For example the Alpine ILX-007?
Is it not compatible with the Jetta? Forgive me for being a novice about things like the CAN bus.
Old 17th February 2016, 10:04   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Becoming more enticing!
Tell me about it. I went over board and got the Universal DVR as well that costs around 55 USD. This has lane departure warning system

I got the DS-811, Reverse camera (one on the logo i think 25 USD), TPMS module (80 USD), BT mic and the 55 USD DVR.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97137

Quote:
Guys, did anyone consider upgrading to a Carplay / Android auto unit? For example the Alpine ILX-007?
I think the DS-811 integration with the Can is far advance and the android unit someone doesnt fit my bill.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 13:58   #336
BHPian

Quote:
I think the DS-811 integration with the Can is far advance and the android unit someone doesnt fit my bill.
But are they compatible? Especially with the steering controls?
Old 17th February 2016, 19:57   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But are they compatible? Especially with the steering controls?
Yes. Confirmed by the installation on the golf above. Its very promising to replace the stock RCD's.

In fact for vento and polo this also looks very attractive.
Old 17th February 2016, 20:45   #338
Senior - BHPian

DS - 811 has to be the most advanced HU out there which is capable of communicating with most of the control modules which your car would have, I will surely recommend this one even for the guys who have got polo and vento.

I am planing to get the same by next month, If anyone else is too planning to get it during the same time do hit me up, Maybe we can order it together then.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 22:23   #339
Senior - BHPian

@Tanveer,

We can do it together. I am anyway fixing this only after i return in April. I have held on to actually paying yet as i asked them for more details on DVR etc.

If you definitely want to get it, we can order together and ask for childish discounts
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 23:32   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Tanveer,

We can do it together. I am anyway fixing this only after i return in April. I have held on to actually paying yet as i asked them for more details on DVR etc.

If you definitely want to get it, we can order together and ask for childish discounts
Sure thing, Do hit me up once you plan to do so, I am in no hurry, Have to get a remap and better tyres too, And yes childish discount is the best part.
Old 17th February 2016, 23:44   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DS - 811 has to be the most advanced HU out there which is capable of communicating with most of the control modules which your car would have
I am just thinking aloud; It will be interesting to know how this HU compares with RCD510, in terms of synchronized operation?

Things that I like about RCD510:

1. RCD510 comes on automatically, once the reverse gear is engaged.

2. RCD510 comes on automatically, once the telephone rings (incoming call).

3. If RCD510 is ON during ignition, it will automatically turn OFF and comes ON again AFTER Ignition.

4. Mute function pauses the PLAY, rather than just MUTE the volume.

5. If the system is OFF, it remains OFF after ignition.

6. Excellent quality display and knobs.

Simple functions that I sorely miss in RCD510:

1. Remote control - Very useful for rear benchers.

2. Cannot turn off display while playing music.

Additional features desired:

1. DVD Video

2. GPS

3. Rear view Camera

4. Vehicle date

I will be keenly waiting for your feedback and probably jump the gun if satisfied..

Update: As I had mentioned, I had bought the "Front passenger seat Drawer" - Beige color - OEM quality. I could complete the DIY today. Procedure is exactly same as detailed in this link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...y-installation

Only change is that we need T30 instead of T25 as mentioned in the link. One extra screw is needed to be removed, to fix the side hook on to the metal wire. Not a big deal!!

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-extra-screw.png

By the time I could complete the DIY, it was dark. Please excuse me for the bad quality pictures taken from my mobile.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-imag0398.png
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-imag0397.png

Extra storage space to keep important things that are not frequently used OR anything that is valuable.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 17th February 2016 at 23:56.
Chethan B G is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 15:33   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I am just thinking aloud; It will be interesting to know how this HU compares with RCD510, in terms of synchronized operation?

Things that I like about RCD510:

1. RCD510 comes on automatically, once the reverse gear is engaged.

2. RCD510 comes on automatically, once the telephone rings (incoming call).

3. If RCD510 is ON during ignition, it will automatically turn OFF and comes ON again AFTER Ignition.

4. Mute function pauses the PLAY, rather than just MUTE the volume.

5. If the system is OFF, it remains OFF after ignition.

6. Excellent quality display and knobs.

I will be keenly waiting for your feedback and probably jump the gun if satisfied..
Very good points raised! Infact these are the points that make the RCD 510 a very good head unit, It may lack some features like navigation and reverse camera, But all these small things are very important which many people actually overlook, For instance suppose if your head unit is off and you put your car in reverse and your HU won't start on its own? It would be annoying right?

Its very difficult to part with RCD 510, Specially when considering how many small things the system does so perfectly!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:08   #343
BHPian

hello chethan,
I was wondering how well the remap is holding up. Can you please share your long term ownership review of the remap? My jetta is nearing its completion of extended warranty and right hand is inching since long.
Old 28th April 2016, 15:59   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
hello chethan,
I was wondering how well the remap is holding up. Can you please share your long term ownership review of the remap? My jetta is nearing its completion of extended warranty and right hand is inching since long.

Hello Mission_PGPX,

It has been around 15K Kms since the remap. I have got a service done too. Jetta has been excellent and no issues at all.

Love the drive all the more after the remap!
Chethan B G is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 00:45   #345
Senior - BHPian

0 - 100 Timing long over due chetan bro, My jetta is nearing 30,000 kms mark, I am planning to either swap the car itself or change the tyres and remap it and use it for another 10,000 kms.

Most Viewed