Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2018, 23:32   #421
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Satshan,

2012 model will be out of warranty. Please check service / insurance history. If the history is traceable and you are happy with the way the car has been maintained, it will boil down to consumables. Check tyre condition, battery condition, suspension condition, alternator belt, coolant pump, AC performance.. etc. Also, a VCDS scan will be good.

All the best! Have a blast!
Infact I have approached Truebil.com for getting a thorough and unbiased check done of the car. As per their report, found no major replacements, repair and or even repaint jobs, all are Original except few minor scratches. Only issues found were hard clutch and noisy steering. I have highlighted these to the seller and he has promised to promptly address this. Apart from this, all things look good.

Can you shed more light on the VCDS scan and where can I get it done.

Thank you.
Old 27th July 2018, 14:02   #422
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post

Can you shed more light on the VCDS scan and where can I get it done.

Thank you.
Hi Satshan,

Could you get the check done at the Dealership? For VCDS scan you can also contact Shibin @ Head over wheels - Mob: 97414 22226. He deals with Pete's remap for Karnataka.

All the best!

Hello friends, my X1 ownership thread is up: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-machine.html
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 20:15   #423
BHPian

The engine on the jetta is built to last , mine is north of 270000km . Ac compressor , starter and water pump changed over 5 years.
Its a gem.
Suspension is due for a change again, always gone the oem route only , but has anyone put in some other struts? Bilstein ? or sACHS?
paras211 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 10:10   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
The engine on the jetta is built to last , mine is north of 270000km . Ac compressor , starter and water pump changed over 5 years.
Its a gem.
Suspension is due for a change again, always gone the oem route only , but has anyone put in some other struts? Bilstein ? or sACHS?
Please refer to page 13 - post 191 on this thread. Bilstein will transform the car. All the best! 👍
Old 9th January 2019, 19:00   #425
BHPian

Dear Chetan,

My Jetta has done 50k kms. Normal city driving mostly, no hard driving and is mechanically OK everything stock. This winters( In Delhi) there is a noise from from front suspension right side, like “CHRRR”, when the car is driven first time and it goes over any bump slowly. Most likely some hardened rubber part of suspension creaking. After some running - No sound, probably as the rubber part gets heated up with movement, becomes softer and no sound.

I am thinking of applying silicone grease to rubber part as a solution. However can’t identify, not sure which exactly to lubricate as don’t want to create any problem in suspension. Local Delhi workshops not very clueful/ helpful. As you had done a complete suspension change, I thought you might have some idea.

BTW congratulations on X1. Looks stately in white.

Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 13:45   #426
BHPian

Sorry to butt in, but this looks like noise from stabilizer links.

Get them checked. The boot may have torn admitting dust into it.

While you are at it, also get the engine shield checked for loose hardware. A slightly loose bolt usually leads to the metal engine shield vibrating a bit and causing this noise. The engine obviously has some vibrations during a cold start that transmits into the structure even with the engine mounts working at their efficiency. This in turn leads to a vibration of many other components.

If yes, it is probably time to replace the links, not an expensive item at around 1.5k per link.

Buy Meyle branded ones, they come with warranty.

If they have not weakened, it may be just grease stiffening from the cold night temperatures and although not a serviceable component, your FNG may have a work around to keep it going for a while and eliminating the noise.

My tubbits

Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Dear Chetan,

My Jetta has done 50k kms. Normal city driving mostly, no hard driving and is mechanically OK everything stock. This winters( In Delhi) there is a noise from from front suspension right side, like “CHRRR”, when the car is driven first time and it goes over any bump slowly. Most likely some hardened rubber part of suspension creaking. After some running - No sound, probably as the rubber part gets heated up with movement, becomes softer and no sound.

I am thinking of applying silicone grease to rubber part as a solution. However can’t identify, not sure which exactly to lubricate as don’t want to create any problem in suspension. Local Delhi workshops not very clueful/ helpful. As you had done a complete suspension change, I thought you might have some idea.

BTW congratulations on X1. Looks stately in white.

Thanks

Last edited by epicenter.rulez : 11th January 2019 at 13:49. Reason: added content
epicenter.rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 07:31   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post

If yes, it is probably time to replace the links, not an expensive item at around 1.5k per link.

If they have not weakened, it may be just grease stiffening from the cold night temperatures and although not a serviceable component, your FNG may have a work around to keep it going for a while and eliminating the noise.
I suffer from the same 'cold weather + start' effect in my Octavia. However even after escalating to Skoda twice, they could not find any reason and neither did they change the links. Only irritating for early mornings but can it have any effect on other linked suspension parts slowly?
Old 13th January 2019, 15:59   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post

While you are at it, also get the engine shield checked for loose hardware. A slightly loose bolt usually leads to the metal engine shield vibrating a bit and causing this noise. The engine obviously has some vibrations during a cold start that transmits into the structure even with the engine mounts working at their efficiency. This in turn leads to a vibration of many other components.

My tubbits

Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt
Thanks
Will get it checked.
Old 24th October 2019, 22:45   #429

Quote:
Please refer to page 13 - post 191 on this thread. Bilstein will transform the car. All the best! ��
I am new to BHP.
I need your help.
will get straight to the facts.

My jetta 2012 Tdi Manual deisel clocked 62000 km showed the glow plug indicator a week back and the engine went subdued. i drove it alowly back home and next day i sent it to the authorised service centre , they took 3 days and stated that there were impurities in the fuel due to which the glow plug indicator was displayed. They stated they had cleared the fuel filters and the car was fine.

A week and 150 kms later the glow plug light came back on and wouldn't start. I called a technician who was referred to by a friend, he checked the car and said it is indicating the following errors when i got it checked. the technician (unauthorised) states that the ECU is faulty and needs to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-img20191024wa0008.jpg  

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 00:19. Reason: typos
Harsh Jodha is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th October 2019, 00:46   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsh Jodha View Post
I am new to BHP.
I need your help.

My jetta 2012 Tdi Manual deisel clocked 62000 km showed the glow plug indicator a week back and the engine went subdued. i drove it alowly back home and next day i sent it to the authorised service centre , they took 3 days and stated that there were impurities in the fuel due to which the glow plug indicator was displayed. They stated they had cleared the fuel filters and the car was fine.

A week and 150 kms later the glow plug light came back on and wouldn't start. I called a technician who was referred to by a friend, he checked the car and said it is indicating the following errors when i got it checked. the technician (unauthorised) states that the ECU is faulty and needs to be replaced.
Hi Harsh,

Was the fuel line and the tank thoroughly cleaned along with the fuel filter / injectors?

I would suggest that you go back to the service Center and get the fuel system thoroughly cleaned.

If the errors are being sensed, ECU shouldn’t be an issue IMO. Alternatively, get it checked by a competent FNG like Code6 or Pete’s.

Try to get the error code read through VCDS. All the best!
Old 25th October 2019, 10:35   #431

Quote:
Hi Harsh,

Was the fuel line and the tank thoroughly cleaned along with the fuel filter / injectors?

I would suggest that you go back to the service Center and get the fuel system thoroughly cleaned.

If the errors are being sensed, ECU shouldn’t be an issue IMO. Alternatively, get it checked by a competent FNG like Code6 or Pete’s.

Try to get the error code read through VCDS. All the best!
Hi Chethan ,

Thank you so much for a prompt reply.

The service centre had only cleaned the fuel filters and given back the car.

Also i have got in touch with Code6 chennai and am awaiting a visit from them. After sharing the fault codes from the previous scan,Prima facie Hari from Code 6 doesnt agree with the earlier technician that it is the ECU.
However hopefully will have an update for you soon.

Also, your posts and content have been of immense help, i have got michelins on my jetta after reading your review and they are amazing.

Thank you for your help.
Harsh Jodha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 12:51   #432
Team-BHP Support

I had a similar problem at the same km, car was stuttering at low revs, had to drive it brutally. Glow plug light came on.

Turned out to be a jammed EGR
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 09:34   #433
BHPian

Quote:
I am new to BHP.
I need your help.

My jetta 2012 Tdi Manual deisel clocked 62000 km showed the glow plug indicator a week back and the engine went subdued..
Hi Harsh,

I am facing a similar issue where the glow plug light comes up and the vehicle refuses to start. It is indeed an issue with the ECU in my case (blown IC for injectors). The below links might be of your help.

My Post (Skoda Yeti. 4.5 lakh repair bill! EDIT: Fuel system replaced under warranty)

BHPian Epic's response (Skoda Yeti. 4.5 lakh repair bill! EDIT: Fuel system replaced under warranty)

Last edited by csr9 : 26th October 2019 at 09:35.
csr9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 09:47   #434

so i contacted Code6 . They came and after initial checks decided to remove the ECU from my car and put it another jetta to see if the ECU flashes the same warning signs pertaining to the fuel pressure regulators A and B.
The exact same warnings were being displayed by the ecu in the other normal working jetta.
So this confirms it is the ECU thats faulty. on further checks it waa observed that the fuse for all three fuel pumps were faulty and had been connected by wire at an earlier service.....authorised , unauthorised im not sure which one did it.

Now coming to the ECU. I need help with sourcing it. My wife is in the uk for the next 3 days. i tried ebay and a few websites but i cant find the exact part number for my ECU. I have attached an IMAGE of my ECU.
ENGINE CONTROL UNIT(ECU) :
03L 906 018 GH.
Any help on where to source one from shall be helpful.

Further in the interim the Code 6 chaps are trying to open up the ECU and try and repair it. Thoughts on that too please .
Attached Thumbnails
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-img_20191024_210058.jpg  

Old 26th October 2019, 13:37   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so i contacted Code6 . They came and after initial checks decided to remove the ECU from my car and put it another jetta to see if the ECU flashes the same warning signs pertaining to the fuel pressure regulators A and B.
The exact same warnings were being displayed by the ecu in the other normal working jetta.
So this confirms it is the ECU thats faulty.
Can you get them to connect a good ECU to your car and confirm everything else is working fine?

Quote:
Now coming to the ECU. I need help with sourcing it. My wife is in the uk for the next 3 days. i tried ebay and a few websites but i cant find the exact part number for my ECU. I have attached an IMAGE of my ECU.
ENGINE CONTROL UNIT(ECU) :
03L 906 018 GH.
Any help on where to source one from shall be helpful.
EDC17C46 - Bosch - Diesel - is a Tricore ECU. This is what you need.

Tricore ECUs are harder to crack. Best to source it through Code6 or any other reliable source, instead of importing on your own. As you are getting the services done through Code6, if you buy it through them, ownership of responsibility will be on them. I personally feel that it is the best choice as of now.

Quote:
Further in the interim the Code 6 chaps are trying to open up the ECU and try and repair it. Thoughts on that too please .
This is the the best route. Only thing is make sure that they take a back-up of the data before attempting repair!

All the best!

PS: Please ensure that you proof-read / preview your post before submitting to avoid typo errors. Thanks!

Most Viewed