Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2013, 22:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!

Preface: Polo was doing good and I had no intention of changing the car for 2 main reasons - First being that the car did not have any flaws & Second being the low buy back value. With the Earth-Dream series of engines, Honda was looking to launch an all-new line of products & Toyota gearing up to launch New-Corolla in 2014. Therefore, planning to upgrade in early 2015 made sense.

Mean-while, I was curiously following the pre-launch reports of BMW 1-Series. After the initial reports in Jan this year, I was under the impression that it would be launched in the price band of about 16-19 Lakhs Ex-Showroom. Later, during this summer, I had been on a trip to USA with my family for a vocation. During our stay in California, we had rented a BMW 3-Series for about a week. I got to drive about 1k miles and was impressed with the overall performance of the car. This raised my curiosity about the 1-Series launch.

August - Things changed. I needed an investment to avail Tax benefits. Being an automobile fanatic, first thing that occurred to my mind was upgrading the car! During 3rd week of August, when I had been to Mysore on a business trip, I casually visited VW showroom since it was on the way. When enquired, Sales manager informed that I can expect around 5.5 L for my Polo. This kick started the whole process.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 16th September 2013 at 23:46.
Chethan B G is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 01:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Selection process: Since I was driving a Polo, similar car with a boot did not excite me. I never considered Vento (for example) as an upgrade. Requirement was not just a higher powered engine, but also an upgrade in terms of overall performance of the car (No offence intended towards Vento owners) - Preference was limited to a Diesel car. This forced me to omit the immediate next segment and look at the price range of 15-20 Lakhs. Since I had Polo to trade in, I could manage the budget with some savings + loan.

Build quality, Ride & Handling, High speed stability, Safety features, Interior fit & finish, Comfort (including rear seat) & Space, Proven engine... etc were some of the requirements. We as a family narrowed down our selection to 4x2 Yeti, Laura, Octavia, Corolla Altis and Jetta. Yeti was our first choice since we thought of trying a Mini SUV for a change (Our previous cars being Hatchbacks with normal GC). BMW 1-Series was out of my mind, the moment price was announced!

1. Yeti: Even though Ride & Handling was not comparable to a Sedan, it was well within acceptable limits. We found the rear seat to be very basic and lacked comfort both in terms of dimensions and support. This was probably since the rear seats were designed to be totally detachable. Frankly speaking, this was the main deal breaker.

2. Laura: This ticked all requirements. But the car was almost discouraged by the dealer themselves, trying to promote Octavia. Finally, we dropped it since it was an out going model.

3. Corolla Altis: Interiors were very comfortable. Good ride but Average handling. Soft suspension setup, does not inspire highway driving and cornering. Engine power lowest among competition. Even the next generation Corolla is rumored to be planned with the same engine.

4. Octavia: Discussion on Laura gave rise to 3rd generation Octavia. Cost cutting measures such as avoiding Independent Multi-link suspension for Diesel cars, did not argue well for the product. Also, rear-end design of the car is very ordinary..

5. New Jetta: Jetta was liked by all of us. In our opinion, this car can be at best termed as "Top end Executive Sedan" but not a premium Sedan. Never the less, for us, this was definitely an upgrade in all aspects. Driving this car, reminded me, of the way BMW 3-Series handled. We narrowed down on Reflex Silver Tdi Comfortline MT. More on this later..

With the selection narrowed down to Jetta, my objectives were clear: Check for the best buy-back value for Polo and book Jetta with the same dealer. To cross check and verify, I did visit a couple of used car dealers and took their feedback. After all the ground work, I got values varying between 4L to 5.5L! Finally, I narrowed down to the Mysore dealer who had given me the best indicative price. Fixed up an appointment with the dealer sales manager and went to Mysore to finalise the deal.

Dealership Experience: Every body at the dealership were cordial and polite. Decisions were given within acceptable time delays. Test drive was arranged for the second time. I was not asked to stick to a particular route during test drive. Jetta had an offer of free Insurance + exchange bonus. I needed only a TR at Mysore. So, I had to pay only Ex-Showroom price at the dealership. Road Tax to be paid to RTO directly at the time of PR. Waiting period for Comfortline Diesel was 3 to 4 Months. Ex-Showroom price to be, as applicable at the time of delivery.

There was a White Highline Diesel MT at dealer stock. This was 2013 model manufactured in the month of May and with 12 Kms on the ODO. Jetta being a CKD kit, car had reached the dealer only in the month of July. Customer who had booked this car, changed his mind and bought a Trendline Passat. This was available for immediate delivery.

Buyer who was to purchase Polo came to the showroom. After a couple of rounds of negotiation, exchange price was fixed at Rs. 5,34,919/- including exchange bonus of 20k, if Polo was handed over within a weeks time. If the Polo was handed over 3 months later, Rs.20,000/- would be reduced from the offer. Dealer agreed to give free Mud-flap. This collectively gave an advantage of Rs.27,000/-. Also, this would save us the cost of the HU, which had to be changed in case we bought a Comfortline.

We decided to go with White Highline Diesel MT. Final deal was that Rs.5,34,919/- would be deducted from an Ex-showroom price of Rs. 18,42,919/-. TR to cost additional 2k. Mud-flaps and Insurance to be provided free of cost. Since the loan was processed and kept ready for disbursement, we concluded the deal on the same day and got the delivery a day later, that is on Friday. After taking delivery, filled Diesel, got the pooja done and drove back to Bangalore. On the way back, MID was showing an Avg FE of 18+ Kmpl! I have one month time to get the PR done in Bangalore. I will be using my NCB (50%) next year during Insurance renewal.

Note: We thank all the staff of KPR Cars Pvt Ltd for their services and co-operation.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00001.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00002.jpg

Interesting point: Break-up cost for Jetta in Karnataka is as follows:
  • Jetta Diesel HL MT - Unit price - Rs. 16,09,536.20 (Including Customs duty - Must be about 30%?)
  • VAT @ 14.5% ------------------- Rs. 2,33,382.75
  • Road Tax ------------------------ Rs. 3,47,760.00
  • Insurance as applicable.
  • Interest on Loan as applicable.

Almost 5.8 L (excluding customs duty) is collected in the form of TAX! And this, we pay through TAX paid money! Plus the Interest on the Loan!
God help us! Least our politicians can do is to give us decent roads...

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th September 2013 at 07:04. Reason: Edited: vendor to buyer
Chethan B G is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Initial Impressions: 300 + on the ODO

Love the understated classic looks of the car. Front resembles Polo / Vento - Does not bother me at all. In fact, I like this look which gives aerodynamic stance to the car.

Jetta came with the following features:
  • Anti-lock Braking System
  • Electronic Brake-force Distribution
  • Electronic Stability Programme
  • Anti-Slip Regulation
  • Traction Control System
  • All-wheel Disc Brakes
  • Hill-hold Function
  • Independent Multi-link suspension
  • 8 airbags
  • Steering-mounted Audio / Blue Tooth Controls / MFD Controls
  • Cruise Control
  • Electric adjustment for the driver’s seat (without memory)
  • Auto-dimming IRVM
  • Automatic Headlamps and Wipers
  • Cornering Fog lamps
  • Parking sensors (front and rear)
  • Heated / Foldable EORVM
  • Rear AC vents
  • 8 speaker HU with BT / 6 CD / SD / Aux / USB

Driver focused features / performance of this car is what I like the most:
  • Brilliant engine and Transmission
  • Decent ride - Extremly well tuned suspension for Indian roads
  • Excellent high speed stability / handling
  • Well controlled body roll & NVH levels
  • Good steering feedback
  • Excellent braking ability and safety features
  • Solid build quality
  • Very good head lights and fog lamps
.... etc. List goes on....

I plan to use the Garmin Navi 50LM, that I have with me.

Things that could have been different:
  • I hope that the leatherette seat do not cause problems during summer.
  • ACC - Sorely missed!
  • Horn is very intruding! Sounds like a Locomotive! - Polo's much better.
  • It is a pity that GPS is still considered as a luxury and omitted.
  • Electric adjustment for the driver’s seat without memory, is useless and annoying at times.
  • Electronic folding feature of the EORVM does not work in-sink with the Ignition.
  • LED DRL would have helped to differentiate Jetta from its lower siblings..
  • Dead pedal should have been broader..
  • Tyre selection could have been better.
  • Extended warranty / AMC should have been provided.

At 120 KMPH in 6th Gear, Jetta cruises effortlessly at an RPM of around 2000!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 16th September 2013 at 22:29.
Chethan B G is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 13:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Time for some pictures:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6711.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6715.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6721.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6724.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6727.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6728.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6730.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6732.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6737.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6739.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6740.jpg
Safety requirements restricts us from placing any object on the rear parcel-tray, since it obstructs the rear-view. For this reason, as a safety feature, accessibility is provided to the boot, from the rear passenger seat. Any bulky material can be placed inside the boot and accessed at our convenience / requirement. This opening, can also be used while carrying long items such as a Golf-kit.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6741.jpg
Additional Rear AC vents under the front seat.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6742.jpg
Additional charger point. Space to keep a mobile. Front Arm-rest slides back & forth and is also height adjustable.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6744.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6747.jpg
Steering mounted controls are fully functional. Phone-call can be answered / terminated by operating the button on the Steering control. Phone audio / reception is of excellent quality.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6749.jpg
Maximum and Minimum leg space in the front.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6751.jpg
Maximum and Minimum leg space in the rear.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6755.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6758.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6759.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6763.jpg
Shark-fin antenna is very small. Slightly bigger one like the one on the BMW 3-Series would have been more appropriate.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6771.jpg
Illuminated Glove box has a cool air inlet. iPod cable can be replaced with a local USB cable, if required. Could not understand the significance of the locked glove compartment, since the same Ignition key is used to operate the glove-box.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6774.jpg
Head Unit has almost all features, except: DVD-Video & GPS. Sound quality is good and is best suited for back-ground music. Smartphone BT pairing is seamless and fast. SMS also can be synchronized with the system. I will post a complete review on RCD-510, at a later stage.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6777.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6778.jpg

Accessories planned:
  • 3D Kagu Mats - Done - 7k
  • Diamond Brite Paint protection - Done - 4.75k
  • India Map for Garmin Navi 50 LM
  • 70% visibility 3M Sun films before / during summer

Thank you!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 17th September 2013 at 00:11.
Chethan B G is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 10:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

A perfect upgrade from the Polo days. Also does prove to may the owing a VW is not bad as the Service personnel attitude has improved.( you being a repeat customer)

Wishing you great ownership and Drive safe!

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th September 2013 at 11:14.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Chethan, has anybody ever told you that you are a good photographer? For a moment, I thought I somehow ended up on the "official review" page!
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:15   #8
BHPian

Congrats on this fantastic upgrade. It surely is a delight to drive this car.

One question though, why didn't you wait for octavia?

Looks like they have covered the other boot lid arm too, which was bare metal in the earlier batches.

here is the comparison:
Attached Thumbnails
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-vwjetta03.jpg  

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_6728.jpg  

Last edited by ramneek009 : 17th September 2013 at 11:19.
ramneek009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:20   #9
Team-BHP Support

Chetan, what are the black switches on the roof panel?
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations! Thanks for the excellent review.
IMO, this is one of the best option available in this segment. The Jetta still looks very fresh with its clean and proportionate lines.

Missing ACC is a bit odd for a car in this segment, but on the positive side they silently slipped in some goodies like Bluetooth integration and adjustable armrest in the 2013 model.

Enjoy the car and drive safe
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:43   #11
BHPian

Congratulations Chethan B G! Jetta looks awesome in white with those smoked headlamps. And your photography is equally good. A nice upgrade from Polo. I too am thinking of an upgrade but can't decide on which car to upgrade to. Will wait for Octavia launch and then decide. BTW, which Polo you had?
Enjoy your car and drive safe!
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arent those the sensor for monitoring internal movements post locking the car? I dont think they are switches . Or is that the red light that glows to help you with locating your gears

Good to see the RCD510 is a newer version and is the Bluetooth a third party one of the one under your seat?

Last edited by VW2010 : 17th September 2013 at 11:59.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 16:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
A perfect upgrade from the Polo days. Also does prove to may the owing a VW is not bad as the Service personnel attitude has improved.( you being a repeat customer)

Wishing you great ownership and Drive safe!

Cheers!
Thanks!

Best way to get good service from VW is to shop around! Some dealers are good & some are pathetic. With the number of dealers increasing, quality / integrity is not an issue. Cost of spares / service could be more compared to their Japanese counterparts. But then, this is the price one pays for using a German product.

Having said that, down time in case of a breakdown, is one major issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Chethan, has anybody ever told you that you are a good photographer? For a moment, I thought I somehow ended up on the "official review" page!
THANKS!!!

By the way, these pictures were taken by my daughter. She started celebrating after seeing your post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Congrats on this fantastic upgrade. It surely is a delight to drive this car.

One question though, why didn't you wait for octavia?

Looks like they have covered the other boot lid arm too, which was bare metal in the earlier batches.

here is the comparison:
Thanks! I agree..

Across the world, Skoda cars are priced lower than VW. Logically, when we compare Variant to Variant, since the price is lesser, Skoda has to cut down somewhere - It could be features / quality - Or both.

Replacing Independent Multi-link suspension with Torsion-beam axle on its diesel cars, did not speak well about the product. It gives an impression that Skoda is reducing costs on important design features, to provide that extra cosmetic feel.

Yes. Bare metal boot hinge is now well covered. Looks decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Emergency service request (completely down condition), Breakdown service request (restricted usage) & Scheduled service request - Switches provided to communicate with the service center through 3G / 4G network - But any way, dummy switches for us in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations! Thanks for the excellent review.

Enjoy the car and drive safe
Thanks!

Most welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Congratulations Chethan B G! Jetta looks awesome in white with those smoked headlamps. And your photography is equally good. A nice upgrade from Polo. I too am thinking of an upgrade but can't decide on which car to upgrade to. Will wait for Octavia launch and then decide. BTW, which Polo you had?
Enjoy your car and drive safe!
Thanks a lot!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-report.html

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Good to see the RCD510 is a newer version and is the Bluetooth a third party one of the one under your seat?
Bluetooth is mounted inside the dash - Comes along with RCD-510.
Chethan B G is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 16:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on getting my favourite car sold in India.

Quite a few small changes to the Jetta since launch.

1. I see the gearknob in the diesel is now the same as the TSI.
2. The black buttons on the roof albeit dummy ones were not there earlier.
3. both boot hinges now get plastic cover. Thank god.
4. Bluetooth now works and not just dummy buttons

Hoping next upgrade is climate control and HID's.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 16:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Congrats on getting my favourite car sold in India.

Quite a few small changes to the Jetta since launch.

1. I see the gearknob in the diesel is now the same as the TSI.
2. The black buttons on the roof albeit dummy ones were not there earlier.
3. both boot hinges now get plastic cover. Thank god.
4. Bluetooth now works and not just dummy buttons

Hoping next upgrade is climate control and HID's.
Thanks!

Adding to the list:
  • Front hand rest is now functional.

Requirements for Leather seat comes before HID's...?

To be frank, stock headlights and fog lamps are quite good with respect to brightness, coverage and throw.

How is comfort on Leatherette in summer? Does it get very unpleasant in terms of heat and odor?

Most Viewed