Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2013, 23:20   #61
BHPian

re: Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
As I start getting used to the car, I have some observations/suggestions/improvements to make:

1. Steering wheel to more chunkier and softer
2. Horn pad can be extended to make it within a 'thumb"s reach'
3. Driver arm rest should be soft and extendible
4. Sun visors can have extenders
5. Head lamps high beam needs to be more powerful
6. Driver side wiper makes rubbing noise when used on low drizzle
7. Rear wiper wash spray to be a 'spray' and not water trickling down the glass
8. The side view mirror adjustment buttons(and others in that console) needs to be backlit
9. Head rests to be tiltable to provide the 'right' support
10. Rear parking sensors should be standard fitment

I am mentioning the above, in lieu of the cost of the vehicle and are simple convenience features at that price point.
Perfect summarization of what's needed to make the Fortuner perfect. I would add one more point: Improve the suspension a tiny bit.

Toyota has provided the Prado and Land Cruiser much better suspension. I am sure they could arrive at an enhancement that is between what the Fortuner has today and what's offered in the Prado.
kaizanfan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 00:55   #62
BANNED

Quote:
As I start getting used to the car, I have some observations/suggestions/improvements to make
Let me add to it based on my observations:

1. Toyota personnel MUST take a ride in the Storme. The Fortuner rides on rocks, and the Storme, on a magic carpet.
2. I will not pay INR 30 lac for a 4 seater in the first two rows. The middle row MUST accomodate 3 people in comfort.
3. How hard is to have an AT 4WD variant when they have it overseas?
4. An SUV needs visibility and the Fortuner's low seating position MUST be improved to enable the driver to see the bonnet, NOT the bonnet scoop.
5. A 30 lac INR SUV with average headlights? Gimme a break.
6. The Fortuner continues to have strictly average brakes. Not done.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 01:09   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
3. How hard is to have an AT 4WD variant when they have it overseas?
Already the cost is hovering near 30 lacs and with the AT 4X4 variant expect it to be higher and that would fend some customers away from T-Fort IMO.

Quote:
4. An SUV needs visibility and the Fortuner's low seating position MUST be improved to enable the driver to see the bonnet, NOT the bonnet scoop.
This feature of visibilty to check whether only air is entering the scoop or something else!

Quote:
5. A 30 lac INR SUV with average headlights? Gimme a break.
If I am not wrong the Fortuner has a projector set-up for the low beams? Can it get better than that? May be a powerful high beam is what you are indicating at?

Quote:
6. The Fortuner continues to have strictly average brakes. Not done.
May be large brake discs with the right booster set-up would do the trick.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 09:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dev,

Thanks for your inputs.

Quote:
Let me add to it based on my observations:

1. Toyota personnel MUST take a ride in the Storme. The Fortuner rides on rocks, and the Storme, on a magic carpet.
I have not taken a ride in Safari in recent past and hence cannot comment on Storme. However, It is not that bad if you manage your tyre pressure well. Having used to the Scoprio, this is a lot better than that(I am not going near the price comparision, now!)

Quote:
I will not pay INR 30 lac for a 4 seater in the first two rows. The middle row MUST accomodate 3 people in comfort.
Individual choice, I must say!

Quote:
How hard is to have an AT 4WD variant when they have it overseas?
Agree with you, However, I would still pick up a manual for a 4X4 for the driving pleasure(self).

Quote:
An SUV needs visibility and the Fortuner's low seating position MUST be improved to enable the driver to see the bonnet, NOT the bonnet scoop.
Agree, I feel Fortuner can have a bigger windshield design coupled with the seat height. However, sitting in Swift Dzire(the other car for the family) Fortuner is a lot better. The only view I can get in Dzire is the dashboard and the sky

Quote:
A 30 lac INR SUV with average headlights? Gimme a break.
Low beams with projector set up are superb, but High beams can be better(they are not average, however being used to the too good low beams, when you switch on the high beams, you feel they can be better!)

Quote:
The Fortuner continues to have strictly average brakes. Not done.
At that price point, they can be 4 discs with better capabilities. Come on- Toyota!!

Anurag, Thanks for your responses.

Last edited by getsurya : 4th November 2013 at 09:25.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 10:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

Some new updates about my car:

1. Paint Protection Film(PPF) for bonnet was completed yesterday. This was pending from last month due to me being busy. This part should protect the bonnet from the debris attack, especially on long drives.

2. Door visors: With Hyd police going too strict and me wanting to be a law abiding citizen, I have decided to opt for the door visors from Toyota OEM. I hope these will help me to some extent by keeping the sun out!

Car has crossed 1500km on the odometer and am eager to open it up on highways now. Looking forward to the TBHP drive on 24th, November where we shall do around 300 km.

I would love to upgrade the fog lamps to HID's, any suggestions please?
Attached Thumbnails
Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-ppf-1.jpg  

Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-ppf-2.jpg  

Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-door-visors.jpg  

Old 10th November 2013, 10:59   #66
BANNED

Quote:
1. Paint Protection Film(PPF) for bonnet was completed yesterday. This was pending from last month due to me being busy. This part should protect the bonnet from the debris attack, especially on long drives.
Where else was the PPF put? People generally put in on the OVRMs,door corners, door sills, and the handles recesses as well.

Quote:
2. Door visors: With Hyd police going too strict and me wanting to be a law abiding citizen, I have decided to opt for the door visors from Toyota OEM. I hope these will help me to some extent by keeping the sun out!
Arre, Toyota has an OEM remedy for this. They sell magnetic window blinders for the Fortuner which take a second to stick on to the frame of the window and a second to remove it as well. They keep the car very cool inside and are completely legal too.

They come in a set of 7 pieces. Have you seen it?

You want to burn some rubber on the highways? Plan a drive to Blore.
Old 10th November 2013, 21:12   #67
BHPian

Looking at your thread Getsurya I feel the need to be updating on mine more regularly ! Awesome details and a good number of accessories you have there. Your mileage figures should improve - I used to get the same number - now I am at around 10.9 in urban confines and 12.8 on countryside. Trick is to be between the 1.5K and 2.0K RPM.

On 35K servicing - I am going to ask them to replace all the door bidings of Megalodon. They are of pathetic quality and have become loose.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where else was the PPF put? People generally put in on the OVRMs,door corners, door sills, and the handles recesses as well.
Hi Dev, thanks for dropping in!

All those you mentioned plus, bottom 4 inches of all the doors,rear full bumper including the loading area part, front side portions of the bumper. Also attaching a picture that shows the PPF applied portion behind door handles to prevent the nail scratches etc

Quote:
Arre, Toyota has an OEM remedy for this. They sell magnetic window blinders for the Fortuner which take a second to stick on to the frame of the window and a second to remove it as well. They keep the car very cool inside and are completely legal too.

They come in a set of 7 pieces. Have you seen it?
I have seen them and they are not of very high quality(supplied in Hyd by Hottracks or some company with similiar name to Toyota). Also, the price is exorbitant(>Rs.15000!!)
The owner of the Toyota dealership, had installed them to his LC and one had the metal frame tear out of the beeding on day-3!!

Quote:
You want to burn some rubber on the highways? Plan a drive to Blore
Sure and am just getting settled in with respect to my stuff arriving from US and all that logistics.

[quote]I feel the need to be updating on mine more regularly ! Awesome details and a good number of accessories you have there. Your mileage figures should improve - I used to get the same number - now I am at around 10.9 in urban confines and 12.8 on countryside. Trick is to be between the 1.5K and 2.0K RPM.
/QUOTE]

Hi Ahmed,
You should be updating your thread regularly, for sure. The reason is for new buyers and also for the industry, these would be real time data points and hence I strive to keep all the feedback on the thread.

It is heartening to note your statement on mileage and I shall try to keep the revs in the said RPM.

Door Beedings- Agree with you and for that price point can be of better quality. Adding this and other input from Kaizanfan on to the 'areas of improvement' list below:

Updated-Areas of Improvement for Toyota Fortuner:

1. Steering wheel to more chunkier and softer
2. Horn pad can be extended to make it within a 'thumb"s reach'
3. Driver arm rest should be soft and extendible
4. Sun visors can have extenders
5. Head lamps high beam needs to be more powerful
6. Driver side wiper makes rubbing noise when used on low drizzle
7. Rear wiper wash spray to be a 'spray' and not water trickling down the glass
8. The side view mirror adjustment buttons(and others in that console) needs to be backlit
9. Head rests to be tiltable to provide the 'right' support
10. Rear parking sensors should be standard fitment
11. Suspension tuning for improving the ride comfort
12. Improve the quality of door and window beedings

Recent accessory added: Door sun visors at Toyota Dealer, picture attached for your viewing!
Attached Thumbnails
Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-boss-handle-guards.jpg  

Last edited by getsurya : 11th November 2013 at 10:25.
Old 11th November 2013, 11:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Oops! Mods- apologies, as I have missed one picture in the earlier post.

Adding it now, kindly merge.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-door-sun-visors.jpg  

Old 11th November 2013, 14:48   #70
BHPian

Quote:

Suspension & ride quality: This is one area which stood out from all reviews and analysis. Surprisingly, we found the ride quality decent and the tyre pressure is at 32 for now (30 is recommended). I have this area under watch for the passenger complaints to upgrade to Bilstiens or the Red Rooster suspension package for Fortuner. I would like to ride it in its current form a quarter before I take a decision on them. What is worth mentioning is that there is no boat ride feeling to the car at all, it rides fine and does not nose dive on sharp braking.
Hi getsurya... I read your complete thread and was wondering if you have further updates to your above comment regarding the ride quality which would benefit prospective buyers? Are you satisfied with the current setup in light of travelling with family sitting in the second row over long distances on good and bad roads or are you considering a suspension upgrade? If you are considering an upgrade how much would it cost?
TorquePeedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 15:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read your complete thread and was wondering if you have further updates to your above comment regarding the ride quality which would benefit prospective buyers? Are you satisfied with the current setup in light of travelling with family sitting in the second row over long distances on good and bad roads or are you considering a suspension upgrade? If you are considering an upgrade how much would it cost?
Hi Torquepeedo,

I have added some inputs for you on Guderian's thread too.

Just to give you an update:

Ride quality of Fortuner is not as bad as it is made out(I had lot of apprehensions after reading so much about the same). In fact, I walked into the showroom and my first question to them was how much does the Bilstein upgrade cost?.

However, on driving the car for last two months now, I can confidently tell you that the ride is fine and for the middle row seat occupants(read my parents or kids, as well sometimes) it has not caused much distress(as expected).

Also, the car does not swing, sway and pitch horribly as my earlier cars(Scorpio's ) did. The longest we did on this car so far was a single stretch of 110km non stop and no body had any compliants, though the road was a mix of both good tarmac and horrible non existent roads!

Kindly note that I am riding on 32 psi against the advised 30psi tire pressure to check and adjust , if required. My family has no complaints so far and am happy about it, as I need not invest in Bilsteins costing about 80 to 100k.
getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 15:57   #72
BANNED

Hi Surya,

The car looks even more rocking. Can you try and look at Phillips or Osram for the HID kits for the Fog Lamps. I guess it is a direct plug and play types.

Can you please post a few pictures of Low beam and High beam (Stock set up).

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 11th November 2013, 19:43   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Ride quality of Fortuner is not as bad as it is made out(I had lot of apprehensions after reading so much about the same).
getsurya: It is very reassuring to know this. After my bad experience with my Scorpio 4WD, I had ruled out any vehicle with poor ride quality such as XUV500, etc. So my choice was down to Rexton, Safari Storme 4x4 and Pajero Sport. Having owned two Landcruiser 100 series, I always, have a soft corner for Toyota 4WDs. But given that I live in terrain with bad roads, I was very concerned about the ride quality. In all the comparisions, between fortuner with Rexton, Pajero sport etc, Fortuner comes out ahead for it's handling, but there is always a comment about the lumpy ride.

If the ride is acceptable, I think the Fortuner becomes a no brainer for what you get compared to the Rexton & Pajero Sport.

Pajero Sport is a great vehicle but buying a Mitsubishi product in India at this point is a big coin toss. Also the fact it comes with only a 1 year/20K warranty shows the manufacturer's confidence or lack of in their product.

Two of my friends who have Fotuners 4WDs also told me that with 30 psi the ride is acceptable. When they are loading up for a long trip they increase the PSI to compensate for heavier loads.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 11th November 2013 at 19:44.
Old 12th November 2013, 09:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car looks even more rocking. Can you try and look at Phillips or Osram for the HID kits for the Fog Lamps. I guess it is a direct plug and play types.

Can you please post a few pictures of Low beam and High beam (Stock set up).
Hi Anurag,

Appreciate your compliments. Osram would be a good choice in 4300K spectrum for Fog lamps. I will call up my resources to find the availability and price. All the better if they are plug and play as then I do not have to worry about warranty.

Please find the pictures of the lights(stock) on BOSS.
1. With only Fog lights
2. With low beam HID projectors of 4300K
3. With high beam lights

Quote:
It is very reassuring to know this. After my bad experience with my Scorpio 4WD, I had ruled out any vehicle with poor ride quality such as XUV500, etc. So my choice was down to Rexton, Safari Storme 4x4 and Pajero Sport.
Hi 4X4addict, Thanks for dropping in to this thread! I agree with you on the comparisions of the vehicles(except Storme for me) and have done a lot of deliberations between Pajero Sport and Fortuner. As you hit the nail upon the head, Pajero lost out due to its lack of good ASC network and Mitsubhishi's lacadaisical attitude towards India.

Quote:
Two of my friends who have Fotuners 4WDs also told me that with 30 psi the ride is acceptable. When they are loading up for a long trip they increase the PSI to compensate for heavier loads.
That is a better approach to manage the ride quality. Kindly note that Fortuner offers a more pliant ride than other body on chassis true blooded SUV's. My expectations were very grounded as to what to and not to expect from "true SUV's" and hence plonked my monies into a Fortuner.

Also, I must have aged to keep away from the electronic gadgetry and be very happy with mechanical and old school way of car comfort

Having said this, my grouses with it are mentioned below in this thread for it to be a much 'better' product
Attached Thumbnails
Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-boss-fog-lights.jpg  

Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-boss-low-beam.jpg  

Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-boss-high-beam-lights.jpg  

Old 12th November 2013, 09:48   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Anurag,

Appreciate your compliments. Osram would be a good choice in 4300K spectrum for Fog lamps. I will call up my resources to find the availability and price. All the better if they are plug and play as then I do not have to worry about warranty.

Please find the pictures of the lights(stock) on BOSS.
1. With only Fog lights
2. With low beam HID projectors of 4300K
3. With high beam lights
Man, those lights are blinding. The oncoming traffic towards your 'BOSS' is going to drive with their eyes shut.

I have sent you a PM of the Osram's distributor address and contact number for reference. Try contacting them directly and get the fog lamp HID kit.

As you said there is no point in crossing 4300k ones. The 6000k & 8000k would be useless in rains and wet roads an are illegal too.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks