Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 10:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!

Quote:
Man, those lights are blinding.
Hi Anurag,

Thanks for the information. The low beams, as said earlier are pure bliss. Excellent spread with right angles not to hurt the opposite driver. I felt the fogs can have much better spread, hence was thinking about the HID's.

The high beams, however are not very effective(my opinion only).
Old 12th November 2013, 10:51   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post

Updated-Areas of Improvement for Toyota Fortuner:

1. Steering wheel to more chunkier and softer
2. Horn pad can be extended to make it within a 'thumb"s reach'
3. Driver arm rest should be soft and extendible
4. Sun visors can have extenders
5. Head lamps high beam needs to be more powerful
6. Driver side wiper makes rubbing noise when used on low drizzle
7. Rear wiper wash spray to be a 'spray' and not water trickling down the glass
8. The side view mirror adjustment buttons(and others in that console) needs to be backlit
9. Head rests to be tiltable to provide the 'right' support
10. Rear parking sensors should be standard fitment
11. Suspension tuning for improving the ride comfort
12. Improve the quality of door and window beedings
I would like to add couple more items:

- More comfortable seating. Let's just say driver's seat since I don't have much experience traveling as a passenger. There's definite scope for improvement. Perhaps add more cushion, check with ergonomic experts and get it approved by the experts for maximum comfort. I drive the AT version and still feel that my Innova's fabric seats were more comfortable. I tried sitting on beads and it doesn't help - in fact I get a feeling it makes it worse - still experimenting.... whereas the Innova even without beads is very comforable and with beads it's even more comfortable.

- Steering is tighter. It's definitely tighter compared to other big SUVs I've driven in the US. And based on my experience a lighter steering makes driving much easier and less tiresome. Ideally steering setup should be intelligent such that it adjusts with the speed of the vehicle. I think Fortuner's steering is plain old bland power steering.
kaizanfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 10:52   #78
BANNED

Quote:
The high beams, however are not very effective(my opinion only).
It could not effective to your eyes but it would certainly blind the oncoming guys.

An upgrade to the high beams also?

If I am not wrong the high beam set up is 60/55W?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 12:06   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Pajero Sport is a great vehicle but buying a Mitsubishi product in India at this point is a big coin toss. Also the fact it comes with only a 1 year/20K warranty shows the manufacturer's confidence or lack of in their product.
It indeed is a great vehicle.
About the manufacturer's warranty.. with Pajero Sport it is 3 years/1 lakh kms whichever is earlier. And in case you want to go for extended warranty on top of it.. you'll get additional 1 year/20k kms.
satpalsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 12:43   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I am not wrong the high beam set up is 60/55W?
Hi Anurag,

Yes, the stock is 60/55.

Quote:
More comfortable seating
Hi Kaizanfan, Agree on the double with you on this, added to the list below.

Quote:
Steering is tighter
In fact I like the Fortuner's steering than the Ford Explorer's steering in US, which was very light. I would prefer much planted/feedback driven steering than the lighter ones for better control.

Areas of Improvement for Toyota Fortuner:

1. Steering wheel to more chunkier and softer
4. Sun visors can have extenders
8. The side view mirror adjustment buttons(and others in that console) needs to be backlit
9. Head rests to be tiltable to provide the 'right' support
13. Seat cushioning and ergonomics is a MUST improvement area.
Old 12th November 2013, 13:28   #81
BHPian

Hello Getsurya,

I know its late but I can not start without congratulating for a well thought and practical buy. A very crisp and neat report. Nice to see that you are regularly updating your thread. Thanks for your effort and Congratulations!!
I am also seriously considering Fortuner as my next upgrade from Honda Jazz X.

I have heard that 'All New Fortuner' will be launched or at least the details will be out by the end of 2014. I think the price tag will again be higher from the existing one. Hence I am in a dilemma. As of now I am unable to decide that should I wait for updated and fully loaded model or should I go with the current one and save some money.

I have few questions for you. I know they can be a silly one but I can not stop myself out of curiosity :

1. The fender mirror actually and practically is a useful accessory? I know it displays two views i.e. front of the bumper for the low hurdles and better clarity and the side of the car for the same reason. Also as the time goes by are there any rattling and positioning issues faced like due to the wind pressure the change of position frequently.

2. The lockable TRD tyre valve caps - These caps have some kind of locking mechanism attached to them so as to stop some mischievous element from deflating the tyres or are these like the normal tube valve caps.

3. How much your car cover cost? Is it a Toyota genuine accessory or a after market purchase?

P.S. : Completly agree with the comprehensive list of area of improvements for the Toyota Fortuner.

Last edited by db0009 : 12th November 2013 at 13:34.
Old 12th November 2013, 15:18   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Anurag,

Yes, the stock is 60/55.
Why don't you go for a 100/90 set up with relays?!

Quote:

Hold the steering wheel near the horn pad! LOL

Quote:
LOL!

Quote:
Go for a 100/90 setup with relays.

Quote:
Check the wipers. It must not be used in too a dry condition. Moderate quantity of water must be present else expect scratches and wiper blades to be changed faster.

Quote:
Is this your car's fault or is it in all cars? May be the sprayer would be faulty!

Quote:
Ain't you asking a bit too much?! I hope you know the price with all the above and below requests you have for the Fortuner!

Quote:

Quote:
Lower air pressure is what we can think of. A softer suspension would make the car jump around and body roll heavier. Already this car has BULK, why make the driver realize it at every corner!

Quote:
Ah! Toyota going the Maruti way in quality.

Quote:
13. Seat cushioning and ergonomics is a MUST improvement area.
This is news to me. Isn't the ergonomics spot-on for this car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by db0009 View Post
1. The fender mirror actually and practically is a useful accessory? I know it displays two views i.e. front of the bumper for the low hurdles and better clarity and the side of the car for the same reason. Also as the time goes by are there any rattling and positioning issues faced like due to the wind pressure the change of position frequently.
Isn't this mirror electrically adjustable and moreover the mirror is located inside the plastic casing that is seen to us just the ORVM we get now a days. Regarding the position changing it will not as it is quiet sturdy until someone changes it purposefully.

Anurag.
Old 12th November 2013, 16:23   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpalsharma View Post
About the manufacturer's warranty.. with Pajero Sport it is 3 years/1 lakh kms whichever is earlier.
Thanks for clarifying. It was listed as 1 Year/20K in Auto Car India magazine, and I thought that was silly.
Old 12th November 2013, 17:05   #84
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anurag,

Quote:
Why don't you go for a 100/90 set up with relays?!
That will void the warranty and Toyota is pretty strict on that front.

Quote:
Check the wipers. It must not be used in too a dry condition. Moderate quantity of water must be present else expect scratches and wiper blades to be changed faster.
Sure, am aware and in the same condition the passenger side wiper does not make the noise, while the driver side does. Guderian has suggested adding a mild windshield washer liquid to quell the same.

Quote:
Is this your car's fault or is it in all cars? May be the sprayer would be faulty!
It is this way for all Fortuners.

Quote:
Ain't you asking a bit too much?
Good one, however these are very small convenience features which are simple ones to adopt.

Quote:
Isn't the ergonomics spot-on for this car?
This area has a lot to be desired.

Quote:
The fender mirror actually and practically is a useful accessory? I know it displays two views i.e. front of the bumper for the low hurdles and better clarity and the side of the car for the same reason. Also as the time goes by are there any rattling and positioning issues faced like due to the wind pressure the change of position frequently.
Hi db0009 & Anurag,

The fender mirror is not electrically adjustable and is of good sturdy quality. There are only two positions that it can move to on left and right, not much of play there. Very useful for parking in tight spaces and watching for those stones or objects which you cannot see sometimes. For two months now, I have not noticed any vibrations or wind effects on it. Mind you, it is a solid bolt on to the left fender after drilling two holes into it.

Quote:
The lockable TRD tyre valve caps - These caps have some kind of locking mechanism attached to them so as to stop some mischievous element from deflating the tyres or are these like the normal tube valve caps.
These are solid steel valve caps with a lockable nut operated by a slim Hex key. I remove these on the day I want to fill air and fit them back once home.

Quote:
How much your car cover cost? Is it a Toyota genuine accessory or a after market purchase?
The car cover is a Toyota genuine accessory and costed me around Rs.4200 at the dealer.

Quote:
Completly agree with the comprehensive list of area of improvements for the Toyota Fortuner
Thank you for your wishes and patience to read through the thread. It is never too late to receive good wishes

My view of new iterations in Fortuner is that Toyota is making it look more a sedan with each change. The best in looks was always the 'Classic Fortuner' and I like the current model(not the Limited edition one) for its LC'ish guise.

Good luck with your choice!

Happy Motoring!
Old 14th November 2013, 08:23   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey getsurya,
OK here's what I feel. And what I feel is that Toyota shouldn't change a thing in the Fortuner.

For if they try to do so, especially from the list put up, then it would be something like shooting for the perfect SUV/vehicle. And we know from life and living that there is nothing in anything called perfect and more so in vehicles. And going by that logic if something were to be improved then something else will give way and you may end up with losing some of the current positives. Or it could go horrendously expensive.
I'd rather have the current positives - reliability, great engine, tough mechanicals/suspension, accurate steering, more than decent electricals etc. For example if the steering were to be made lighter then the taut feeling/handling/safety could be a casuality for a behemoth like the Fortuner, is what I feel.

Of course some of the current relatively low quality stuff like the beading ( which one already pays for in the package) could be improved. But I guess nothing else. And many of these points I had listed on the initial pages of Admiral's thread - but then realised my folly or had a change of mind.

But of course this is purely personal and from my likes and style of driving.
And of course hunting for the perfect SUV/vehcile to meet all of one's individual needs is like hunting for the polar bear in the Sahara or worse. But then what would human beings be but for dreams, aspirations and hopes !

Now how's that for a spin on the original thought on improvements ?!!

Last edited by Guderian : 14th November 2013 at 08:43.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 09:16   #86
BHPian

Quote:
In fact I like the Fortuner's steering than the Ford Explorer's steering in US, which was very light. I would prefer much planted/feedback driven steering than the lighter ones for better control.
Ideally, for a big SUV like Fortuner the power steering should be self adjusting. As the speed increases less power is provided to the power steering module. My comments on Fortuner's power steering stems from my experience driving Lexus and Honda SUVs, and Honda and Toyota vans. I have never driven the Ford Explorer.
kaizanfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 09:29   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And what I feel is that Toyota shouldn't change a thing in the Fortuner.
Hi Guderian,

If you look at the list, they are all creature comfort/convenience add on's and nothing to touch the mechanicals, which I strongly agree with your thoughts.

I feel that some of them are pretty easy and economical too, to implement and should not boost up the price any more( it is an expensive utilitarian SUV, already for us!).

What I have put up for Toyota are more value additions to the customers than hard core features, especially at this price point.

Quote:
Ideally, for a big SUV like Fortuner the power steering should be self adjusting. As the speed increases less power is provided to the power steering module. My comments on Fortuner's power steering stems from my experience driving Lexus and Honda SUVs, and Honda and Toyota vans. I have never driven the Ford Explorer.
Hi Kaizanfan, agree with your thoughts. Will support/propose this as a next version change for Fortuner
Old 14th November 2013, 09:42   #88
Senior - BHPian

I know I am late here, my congratulations to you getsurya. Here's me wishing you a thousand miles of happy driving with the Fortuner.
I prolly will tread your path in the near future for an upgrade from the scorpio if budget permits.
Old 14th November 2013, 09:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel that some of them are pretty easy and economical too...
Hmmm...Interesting.
Let's have a look at the list and if I were to be a Toyota bean counter as to how would I respond :

1. Steering wheel to more chunkier and softer - Will cost more.
2. Horn pad can be extended to make it within a 'thumb"s reach' - Design change and will cost more.
3. Driver arm rest should be soft and extendible - Will cost more.
4. Sun visors can have extenders - Will cost more.
5. Head lamps high beam needs to be more powerful - Will cost more.
6. Driver side wiper makes rubbing noise when used on low drizzle- Softer rubber or change in design. May cost more.
7. Rear wiper wash spray to be a 'spray' and not water trickling down the glass. (Technical team to evaluate the requirement. Not sure.)
8. The side view mirror adjustment buttons(and others in that console) needs to be backlit. Will cost more.
9. Head rests to be tiltable to provide the 'right' support. Will cost more.
10. Rear parking sensors should be standard fitment. Was there in the Classic Fortuner. Can be reintroduced - but will cost more.
11. Suspension tuning for improving the ride comfort. Big change - will cost lots more.
12. Improve the quality of door and window beedings. Yes, can be done with no increase in costs. Sack the current beading vendor. Get better quality beadings. Check whether the new fellow has beady eyes !
13. Seat cushioning and ergonomics is a MUST improvement area. Better seat design, more material - will cost more.

Internal Note: "Customer feedback says that the product is already grossly overpriced. How much can we now increase ? We can't sacrifice the margin per unit on this cash mooo. So can we drop something ? OK let's look at a new version with all the above changes - but without the engine. Tech team to check the feasibility."
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 10:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Internal Note: "Customer feedback says that the product is already grossly overpriced. How much can we now increase ? We can't sacrifice the margin per unit on this cash mooo. So can we drop something ? OK let's look at a new version with all the above changes - but without the engine. Tech team to check the feasibility."
Thanks for the brainstorming, Guderian! You made a busy thursday burst into laughter.

I am glad you(as TKM) did not say:

Communications department- please understand who this complaining customer is and 'fix' him...errr...'fix' the car up!

Quote:
I know I am late here, my congratulations to you getsurya. Here's me wishing you a thousand miles of happy driving with the Fortuner.
I prolly will tread your path in the near future for an upgrade from the scorpio if budget permits.
Hi rjstyles, Welcome to the BOSS! Many thanks for your wishes(and it is never too late to wish or receive good wishes!).

I wish you all the good luck to have your budgetary restraints gone to upgrade to a beast of Fortuner.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th November 2013 at 22:45. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks