Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:56   #31
BHPian

re: Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!

Congrats!! Srikanth. What a way to come back to our country. BOSS is white looks magnificent and knowing your penchant for keeping your cars strikingly clean, I am sure, this would also be be maintained impeccably well over the years.

Happy motoring in the new beast.
zen91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happy motoring in the new beast.
Hi Zen91,

Many thanks for your wishes. Looking forward to meet you in the next TBHP meet.
Old 24th September 2013, 09:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I have tanked up the BOSS yesterday, the mileage I have got is 8.35 kmpl versus 9.40 kmpl of MID reading. This was all in city driving only.

I fill up the tank when it reaches the half tank mark and do a auto stop with gun speed of first notch.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I fill up the tank when it reaches the half tank mark and do a auto stop with gun speed of first notch.
Hi getsurya, Tank-full to tank-full method would be the best way to get an accurate FE reading. Auto-stop to auto-stop is not a very reliable method as it depends on the whims of the sensors which at best are very moody and temperamental - even at the same fuel bunk and the same filling point.
I fill it up till the second lip (from the top) of the inlet point consistently and check the FE figures.

Last edited by Guderian : 25th September 2013 at 14:17.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 16:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I fill it up till the second lip (from the top) of the inlet point consistently and check the FE figures.
Hi Guderian, that is a very useful tip. Will follow that from the next time. Thank you!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 14:59   #36
BHPian

First of all congratulations on your acquisition. You've also loaded it with good amount of accessories.

In order to install the auto folding module, do we need to cut any wires? or can it be installed on its own with some sort of direct connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
the mileage I have got is 8.35 kmpl versus 9.40 kmpl of MID reading. This was all in city driving only.
From my experience I noticed that the MID reading is generally less than the actual one.
satpalsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 15:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In order to install the auto folding module, do we need to cut any wires? or can it be installed on its own with some sort of direct connection?
Hi Satpalsharma,

Thanks for your wishes.

The auto folding module is a Toyota original accessory which is 'clipped' on without cutting any wires. It comes with sockets which plug in to the existing set up.

On the MID front, will watch out for some more readings to observe the delta(either ways)
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 17:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Auto-stop to auto-stop is not a very reliable method as it depends on the whims of the sensors which at best are very moody and temperamental - even at the same fuel bunk and the same filling point.
Long time back I read that the fuel nozzle doesn't work on any sensor. It's pure mechanical and filling at an auto-stop level will actually be more reliable if done from the same fuel bunk and filling point.

Extract on how it works:
Near the tip of the nozzle is a small hole, and a small pipe leads back from the hole into the handle. Suction is applied to this pipe using a venturi. When the tank is not full, air is being drawn through the hole by the vacuum, and the air flows easily. When fuel in the tank rises high enough to block the hole, a mechanical linkage in the handle senses the change in suction and flips the nozzle off.

Here's a way to think about it -- you've got a small pipe with suction being applied at one end and air flowing through the pipe easily. If you stick the free end of the pipe in a glass of water, much more suction is needed, so a vacuum develops in the middle of the pipe. That vacuum can be used to flip a lever that cuts off the nozzle.
satpalsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 08:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpalsharma View Post
Long time back I read that the fuel nozzle doesn't work on any sensor. It's pure mechanical and filling at an auto-stop level will actually be more reliable if done from the same fuel bunk and filling point.
Exactly and that is what it is - a mechanical sensor and not an electronic one. And hence the moodiness and temperament. And as per my experience even if you fill it from the same bunk and filling point it acts funny depending on the temperature (depending on the time of the day) and therefore the density etc. Even if one lands up at the same time everytime one fills up the 'sensor' acts differently depending on the speed/notch set and even if set on the same notch appears to cut off at different level/s filled - possibly due to the blockage of the nostril(dirt ?) or some other factor. And much less said the better about the cut off at different pumps. Huge variations.

Last edited by Guderian : 27th September 2013 at 09:01.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 09:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And much less said the better about the cut off at different pumps. Huge variations.
Hi Guderian, I agree and it is tough to bring/expect consistency here. I must thank you and Satpal for this clarity on the said subject.

Will follow the tips and try to reduce the variance.
Old 1st October 2013, 16:00   #41

Hi Folks,
Heaving read, both sides of the story, would like to have your views on a couple of questions I have
1) Due for 10K service for Tfort"Jumbo", would you recommend change of oil to Synthetic ?
2) In Pune 2 dealers, DSK & Sharayu, who would you recommend ?
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Last few days have seen the following updates to the BOSS;

1. 3M underbody treatment with 5 year warranty was completed, I like the silent and sound dampening property of the pitch applied
2. 3M paint protection film was applied for all the ' abuse prone' areas like- Front bumper corners, door sills, door edges, door bottom part, rear full bumper, side view mirror covers and loading area to protect it from the abuse.

I shall post pictures once I transfer the same from my mobile.
Old 5th October 2013, 10:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

The second top up of the fuel tank saw the mileage numbers to be at 8.6 kmpl and the ride seems to be more pliant.

I feel the horn pad should have been extended to the sides, as I find this a minor irritant to reach out to the centre of the steering when required.

Also visited 3M, Madhapur-Hyderabad over last few days to get the Under body coating and Paint Protection Film work done. The service has been exceptional, as earlier.Please find more details on the below thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ml#post3257381

Today, purchased the Toyota body cover which comes in white, to keep the car protected and away from the prying eyes as and when required.
Old 5th October 2013, 22:54   #44
BHPian

FE of 8.6 seems to be bit on the lower end. Are you driving thru really bad traffic? My Auto Jumbo gives me 10 in Bangalore traffic which involves waiting period of up to 20 mins in traffic jams.
kaizanfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 07:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizanfan View Post
FE of 8.6 seems to be bit on the lower end. Are you driving thru really bad traffic? My Auto Jumbo gives me 10 in Bangalore traffic which involves waiting period of up to 20 mins in traffic jams.
Hi Kaizanfan, traffic can be one reason and am not a light footed driver, as well. Guderian says that it will improve after some time and will try to drive more 'light footed'.

AT gives more mileage over 4X4 too. I understand from your posts that you do lot of coasting to gain mileage :-)

Last edited by getsurya : 6th October 2013 at 07:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks